Byte your tongue.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: OT: The Last Bus

SubjectAuthor
* OT: The Last Bushounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
`* OT: The Last BusAnna Noyd-Dryver
 +* OT: The Last BusRoland Perry
 |+* OT: The Last BusGraeme Wall
 ||+* OT: The Last BusArthur Figgis
 |||`* OT: The Last BusRoland Perry
 ||| +* OT: The Last BusRoland Perry
 ||| `- OT: The Last BusArthur Figgis
 ||`- OT: The Last BusMarland
 |`* OT: The Last BusAnna Noyd-Dryver
 | `- OT: The Last BusRoland Perry
 +- OT: The Last Bushounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
 `* OT: The Last BusMarland
  `* OT: The Last BusGraeme Wall
   `* OT: The Last BusBevan Price
    `- OT: The Last BusRoland Perry

Pages:12
Re: OT: The Last Bus

<su44d3$slq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22863&group=uk.railway#22863

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: OT: The Last Bus
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 22:42:43 -0000 (UTC)
<i2m90h1bpjqdogij2o4l3dq9upoe0i3eft@4ax.com>
<su2mom$ihc$1@dont-email.me>
<su31dk$r0p$1@dont-email.me>
sha1:RqpbernyEa0BiYC9P281q3v0vtQ=
 by: Sam Wilson - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 22:42 UTC

Certes <none@nowhere.net> wrote:
> On 10/02/2022 09:43, Sam Wilson wrote:
>> Coming back to trains, Fife Circle trains leaving Waverley are announced as
>> being for (IIRC) Glenrothes with Thornton. Once they leave Haymarket they
>> are announced as being for Edinburgh Waverley.
>
> I'm surprised it's so early. Visitors getting on at Haymarket must get
> worried, as they are hoping to travel away from Waverley. I'd have made
> the change after leaving Inverkeithing or later.

Yes, it startled me too. I’ve only been on that route a couple of times
and it was a while ago so there may have been changes.

“This train is for … Glenrothes with Thornton, calling at … Haymarket,
Edinburgh Gateway, Dalmeny, North Queensferry, Inverkeithing…”

“This train is for … Edinburgh Waverley, calling at … Edinburgh Gateway,
Dalmeny, North Queensferry, Inverkeithing…”

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: OT: The Last Bus

<655173122.666300363.076799.jmd.nospam-btinternet.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23018&group=uk.railway#23018

From: jmd.nos...@btinternet.com (Jeremy Double)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 11 Feb 2022 19:37:29 GMT
<i2m90h1bpjqdogij2o4l3dq9upoe0i3eft@4ax.com>
<su2mom$ihc$1@dont-email.me>
<80r90hhh20lbcsuqtp3pddua75t8copeb0@4ax.com>
<AMAXwPCOXRBiFA6L@perry.uk>
 by: Jeremy Double - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 19:37 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <80r90hhh20lbcsuqtp3pddua75t8copeb0@4ax.com>, at 13:22:06 on
> Thu, 10 Feb 2022, Ken <ken@birchanger.com> remarked:
>> On Thu, 10 Feb 2022 09:43:50 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson
>> <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Coming back to trains, Fife Circle trains leaving Waverley are announced as
>>> being for (IIRC) Glenrothes with Thornton. Once they leave Haymarket they
>>> are announced as being for Edinburgh Waverley.
>>
>> Yes, they really don't want you to go the long way round. There's a
>> negative easement in place to penalise you if you do.
>
>> But it's no different from other false destinations mentioned here in
>> the past to avoud passengers getting a suboptimum trains.
>>
>> Leeds - York via Knaresborough (advertised to Poppleton)
>> York - Leeds (advertised to Burley Park)
>>
>> Formerly London - Oxford stoppers were advertised to Radley
>> Peterborough - Liverpool Street advertised to Shenfield
>>
>> And I've no doubt many more.
>
> The classic was always Kings Cross to Foxton, but that was to prevent
> people getting sub-optimally *timed* trains, not sub-optimally *routed*
> ones.

At one time the Great Northern electrics terminated at Foxton, and
passengers for Cambridge had to change to a DMU.

--
Jeremy Double

Re: OT: The Last Bus

<su6e0s$23e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23019&group=uk.railway#23019

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 19:39:08 +0000
 by: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 19:39 UTC

On 11/02/2022 19:37, Jeremy Double wrote:
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <80r90hhh20lbcsuqtp3pddua75t8copeb0@4ax.com>, at 13:22:06 on
>> Thu, 10 Feb 2022, Ken <ken@birchanger.com> remarked:

>>> Yes, they really don't want you to go the long way round. There's a
>>> negative easement in place to penalise you if you do.
>>
>>> But it's no different from other false destinations mentioned here in
>>> the past to avoud passengers getting a suboptimum trains.
>>>
>>> Leeds - York via Knaresborough (advertised to Poppleton)
>>> York - Leeds (advertised to Burley Park)
>>>
>>> Formerly London - Oxford stoppers were advertised to Radley
>>> Peterborough - Liverpool Street advertised to Shenfield
>>>
>>> And I've no doubt many more.
>>
>> The classic was always Kings Cross to Foxton, but that was to prevent
>> people getting sub-optimally *timed* trains, not sub-optimally *routed*
>> ones.
>
> At one time the Great Northern electrics terminated at Foxton, and
> passengers for Cambridge had to change to a DMU.

I thought that was Royston?

Re: OT: The Last Bus

<1346003285.666302247.228692.jmd.nospam-btinternet.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23021&group=uk.railway#23021

From: jmd.nos...@btinternet.com (Jeremy Double)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 11 Feb 2022 19:58:28 GMT
<i2m90h1bpjqdogij2o4l3dq9upoe0i3eft@4ax.com>
<su2mom$ihc$1@dont-email.me>
<80r90hhh20lbcsuqtp3pddua75t8copeb0@4ax.com>
<AMAXwPCOXRBiFA6L@perry.uk>
<655173122.666300363.076799.jmd.nospam-btinternet.com@news.individual.net>
 by: Jeremy Double - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 19:58 UTC

Jeremy Double <jmd.nospam@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <80r90hhh20lbcsuqtp3pddua75t8copeb0@4ax.com>, at 13:22:06 on
>> Thu, 10 Feb 2022, Ken <ken@birchanger.com> remarked:

>>> Yes, they really don't want you to go the long way round. There's a
>>> negative easement in place to penalise you if you do.
>>
>>> But it's no different from other false destinations mentioned here in
>>> the past to avoud passengers getting a suboptimum trains.
>>>
>>> Leeds - York via Knaresborough (advertised to Poppleton)
>>> York - Leeds (advertised to Burley Park)
>>>
>>> Formerly London - Oxford stoppers were advertised to Radley
>>> Peterborough - Liverpool Street advertised to Shenfield
>>>
>>> And I've no doubt many more.
>>
>> The classic was always Kings Cross to Foxton, but that was to prevent
>> people getting sub-optimally *timed* trains, not sub-optimally *routed*
>> ones.
>
> At one time the Great Northern electrics terminated at Foxton, and
> passengers for Cambridge had to change to a DMU.

I’ve just remembered it was Royston where passengers had to change from EMU
to DMU, Foxton was the intermediate station on the DMU route to Cambridge.

--
Jeremy Double

Re: OT: The Last Bus

<qxiNfXBGLsBiFAt8@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23023&group=uk.railway#23023

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 20:10:46 +0000
<nBzOD3nFulAiFAXT@perry.uk> <sttpmj$2su$2@dont-email.me>
<iOednQbw89eYJZ__nZ2dnUU7-I3NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<Jma1ap1in2AiFABw@perry.uk> <4p270hh8rdul6vvufnmt9o7tmn7edn7ob7@4ax.com>
<RlUD6qHaf5AiFAyf@perry.uk> <tm790hpoth74b3sm1sk1vq20j1nu4sib2u@4ax.com>
<UsCSYPoFjLBiFAaY@perry.uk> <i2m90h1bpjqdogij2o4l3dq9upoe0i3eft@4ax.com>
<su2mom$ihc$1@dont-email.me> <80r90hhh20lbcsuqtp3pddua75t8copeb0@4ax.com>
<AMAXwPCOXRBiFA6L@perry.uk>
<655173122.666300363.076799.jmd.nospam-btinternet.com@news.individual.net>
<1346003285.666302247.228692.jmd.nospam-btinternet.com@news.individual.net>
 by: Roland Perry - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 20:10 UTC

In message
<1346003285.666302247.228692.jmd.nospam-btinternet.com@news.individual.ne
t>, at 19:58:28 on Fri, 11 Feb 2022, Jeremy Double
<jmd.nospam@btinternet.com> remarked:
>Jeremy Double <jmd.nospam@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <80r90hhh20lbcsuqtp3pddua75t8copeb0@4ax.com>, at 13:22:06 on
>>> Thu, 10 Feb 2022, Ken <ken@birchanger.com> remarked:

>>> The classic was always Kings Cross to Foxton, but that was to prevent
>>> people getting sub-optimally *timed* trains, not sub-optimally *routed*
>>> ones.
>>
>> At one time the Great Northern electrics terminated at Foxton, and
>> passengers for Cambridge had to change to a DMU.
>
>I’ve just remembered it was Royston where passengers had to change from EMU
>to DMU, Foxton was the intermediate station on the DMU route to Cambridge.

When BR had regions, the one associated with the ECML ended a few
hundred yards north of Royston station, and east of there they
prioritised he route out of "their" Liverpool St rather than "someone
else's" Kings Cross. For a while that resulted in a hiatus of
non-electrification from Royston to Cambridge.

Foxton, in that context, was just one of the three necklace-village
stations on that route.
--
Roland Perry