I'm starting to think the gene pool could use a little chlorine.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangars after £130k funding

SubjectAuthor
* The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangars aftswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: The 16 Bristol locations toSpike
+* Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangarsswldx...@gmail.com
|+* Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangarsswldx...@gmail.com
||+- Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new fairy-bike binsJNugent
||`* Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangarsswldx...@gmail.com
|| +- Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new fairy-bike binsJNugent
|| `* Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangarsswldx...@gmail.com
||  +- Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new fairy-bike binsJNugent
||  `- Re: The 16 Bristol locations toSpike
|`* Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangarsswldx...@gmail.com
| +- Re: The 16 Bristol locations toSpike
| `- Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new fairy-bike binsJNugent
+- Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new fairy-bike binsJNugent
+* Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangarsswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: The 16 Bristol locations toSpike
+* Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangarsswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new fairy-bike binsJNugent
+* Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangarsswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new fairy-bike binsJNugent
+* Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangarsswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new fairy-bike binsJNugent
|+* Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangarsswldx...@gmail.com
||`- Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new fairy-bike binsJNugent
|`* Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangarsswldx...@gmail.com
| +- Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new fairy-bike binsJNugent
| `- Re: The 16 Bristol locations toSpike
+* Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangarsswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new fairy-bike binsJNugent
+- Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangarsswldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangarsSimon Mason

Pages:12
The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangars after £130k funding

<60be0151-8bd1-4d80-b0b5-93004a98ab32n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23033&group=uk.rec.cycling#23033

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 12:15:51 -0800 (PST)
Subject: The_16_Bristol_locations_to_get_new_bike_hangars_aft
er_£130k_funding
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 20:15 UTC

New cycle hangars will be installed outside 16 Bristol council tower blocks to give cyclists somewhere safe to store their bicycles.

Bristol already has a few secure cycle hangars, which allow people with little storage space at home to safely lock up their bikes. The hangars take up the space of about one car and usually have enough room to store several bicycles.

Last month, the West of England Combined Authority (WECA) awarded £130,000 for the new bike hangars, which will be located at 16 council tower blocks in the city, according to the council’s business case.

It follows a Bristol World investigation last year which revealed there were 1,561 recorded thefts in 2021 - the equivalent of more than four a day. The investigation, which can be read here, heard from victims who wanted somewhere safe to keep their bike.

The report from WECA said encouraging cycling in Bristol is ‘key to increasing levels of modal shift to walking and cycling. It will aid in reducing traffic congestion, improve air quality and will help encourage healthy lifestyles’.

The new hangars will provide 168 secure cycle spaces within 28 secure cycle hangar storage units at 16 housing sites in Bristol, and will mark the first cycle hangar rollout in Bristol since 2018. The project has been fast tracked due to utilise Transforming Cities Fund (TCF) funding which closes in March 2023.

The installation of the hangars will take eight weeks and is set to begin soon with the target to finish by the end of March 2023. The 16 locations for new hangars are in Barton Hill, Lawrence Hill, St Judes, Easton, Redcliffe, Hartcliffe and Withywood.

They will be located outside Barton House, Phoenix House, Rawnsley House, Beaufort House, Harwood House, Longlands House, Ropewalk House, Twinnell House, Lansdowne Court, Broughton House, Redwood House, Francombe House, Chestnut House, Oak House, Willow House and Rowan House.

Responding to calls for safer cycling infrastructure in the city, including from Bristol Cycling Campaign which wants 1,000 bike hangars by 2024, mayor Marvin Rees said the “single biggest flaw” in transport planning is to have a “single focus”.

In a blog post last year, the mayor said: “As part of our work with the West of England combined authority, we’ve been able to begin the project for a programme of cycle hangars in the city. We will use the funding which will be made available at the January committee to prioritise cycle hangars for council blocks.

“The project scored blocks against strategic criteria such as their links to the strategic cycling network, levels of deprivation and car ownership.”

https://www.bristolworld.com/news/the-16-bristol-locations-to-get-new-bike-hangars-after-ps130k-funding-4024918

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangars aft er £130k funding

<k52gg3F9fugU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23034&group=uk.rec.cycling#23034

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: The 16 Bristol locations to
Date: 14 Feb 2023 22:32:35 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 22:32 UTC

> New cycle hangars will be installed outside 16 Bristol council tower
> blocks to give cyclists somewhere safe to store their bicycles.

That could be seen as an oxymoron.

--
Spike

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangars after £130k funding

<fd780157-236f-4443-b97b-3deca14cd302n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23038&group=uk.rec.cycling#23038

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 22:54:55 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re:_The_16_Bristol_locations_to_get_new_bike_hangars
_after_£130k_funding
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 06:54 UTC

QUOTE:Responding to calls for safer cycling infrastructure in the city, including from Bristol Cycling Campaign which wants 1,000 bike hangars by 2024, mayor Marvin Rees said the “single biggest flaw” in transport planning is to have a “single focus”. ENDS

Imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth 1000 of them will cause to the elderly gammons. :-)

NIMBY on steroids.

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new fairy-bike bins after £130k funding

<k54ja4FjaflU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23051&group=uk.rec.cycling#23051

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_The_16_Bristol_locations_to_get_new_fairy-bike_bins
_after_£130k_funding
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 17:32:52 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 17:32 UTC

> New fairy-cycle bins will be installed outside 16 Bristol council tower blocks to give fairy-cyclists somewhere safe to store their fairy-bicycles.
> Bristol already has a few secure fairy-cycle bins, which allow people with little storage space at home to safely lock up their fairy-bikes. The bins take up the space of about one car and usually have enough room to store several fairy-bicycles.
> Last month, the West of England Combined Authority (WECA) awarded £130,000 for the new fairy-bike bins, which will be located at 16 council tower blocks in the city, according to the council’s business case.

How many fairy-cyclists live in "council tower blocks", then?

"Tower block" is a euphemism for sink council estates, of course.

But... but... but... fairy-cyclists are all supposed to be Considerably
Richer Than Yow.

Something doesn't compute.

> It follows a Bristol World investigation last year which revealed there were 1,561 recorded thefts in 2021 - the equivalent of more than four a day.

Well, yes... fairy-cyclists are notorious fairy-cycle thieves OR willing
recipients of the stolen goods that are either fairy-cycles or
fairy-cycle parts.

If there wasn't a market for stolen fairy-cycles, there'd be far fewer
fairy-cycle thefts.

> The investigation, which can be read here, heard from victims who wanted somewhere safe to keep their fairy-bike.

After all, they don't want to leave their fairy-bikes where any old
fairy-cyclist can half-inch them, do they?

> The report from WECA said encouraging fairy-cycling in Bristol is ‘key to increasing levels of modal shift to walking and fairy-cycling. It will aid in reducing traffic congestion, improve air quality and will help encourage healthy lifestyles’.
> The new fairy-bike bins will provide 168 secure cycle spaces within 28 secure fairy-cycle bin storage units at 16 housing sites in Bristol, and will mark the first fairy-cycle bin rollout in Bristol since 2018. The project has been fast tracked due to utilise Transforming Cities Fund (TCF) funding which closes in March 2023.
> The installation of the bins will take eight weeks and is set to begin soon with the target to finish by the end of March 2023. The 16 locations for new bins are in Barton Hill, Lawrence Hill, St Judes, Easton, Redcliffe, Hartcliffe and Withywood.
> They will be located outside Barton House, Phoenix House, Rawnsley House, Beaufort House, Harwood House, Longlands House, Ropewalk House, Twinnell House, Lansdowne Court, Broughton House, Redwood House, Francombe House, Chestnut House, Oak House, Willow House and Rowan House.
> Responding to calls for safer fairy-cycling infrastructure in the city, including from Bristol Fairy Cycling Campaign which wants 1,000 fairy-bike bins by 2024, mayor Marvin Rees said the “single biggest flaw” in transport planning is to have a “single focus”.
>> In a blog post last year, the mayor said: “As part of our work with the West of England combined authority, we’ve been able to begin the project for a programme of fairy-cycle bins in the city. We will use the funding which will be made available at the January committee to prioritise fairy-cycle bins for council blocks.

Come th think of it, and bearing in mind the opposition to unsightly
fairy-cycle bins in Sussex, it is possible that there will be much less
opposition to their placement outside council tower blocks.

And there's always the increased opportunities being provided for those
who like to deal with the scrap metal trade (no questions asked).

> “The project scored blocks against strategic criteria such as their links to the strategic fairy-cycling network, levels of deprivation and car ownership.”

"levels of deprivation", eh?

Even though fairy-cyclists are claimed to all be Considerably Richer
Than Yow?

> https://www.bristolworld.com/news/the-16-bristol-locations-to-get-new-bike-hangars-after-ps130k-funding-4024918

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangars after £130k funding

<2f07e18e-5ef6-4638-8fe5-57b82459e8b3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23059&group=uk.rec.cycling#23059

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 09:58:24 -0800 (PST)
_after_£130k_funding
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 17:58 UTC

On Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at 6:54:56 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE:Responding to calls for safer cycling infrastructure in the city, including from Bristol Cycling Campaign which wants 1,000 bike hangars by 2024, mayor Marvin Rees said the “single biggest flaw” in transport planning is to have a “single focus”. ENDS
>
> Imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth 1000 of them will cause to the elderly gammons. :-)
>
> NIMBY on steroids.

Take it up with the council you voted for, Brextards.

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new fairy-bike bins after £130k funding

<k59a5sFb17bU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23208&group=uk.rec.cycling#23208

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
_after_£130k_funding
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 12:27:41 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 12:27 UTC

On 15/02/2023 05:58 pm, swldx...@gmail.com...

....pretenbding to be responding to himself, said:

> On Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at 6:54:56 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> QUOTE:Responding to calls for safer cycling infrastructure in the city, including from Bristol Fairy Cycling Campaign which wants 1,000 fairy-bike bins by 2024, mayor Marvin Rees said the “single biggest flaw” in transport planning is to have a “single focus”. ENDS
>> Imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth 1000 of them will cause to the elderly gammons. :-)
>> NIMBY on steroids.

> Take it up with the council you voted for, Brextards.

FITY.

No charge (that's always important to fairy-cyclists, of course).

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangars after £130k funding

<af67e603-fcc6-494f-9b6e-565d06c55958n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23217&group=uk.rec.cycling#23217

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 06:11:54 -0800 (PST)
_after_£130k_funding
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 14:11 UTC

On Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at 5:58:25 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at 6:54:56 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > QUOTE:Responding to calls for safer cycling infrastructure in the city, including from Bristol Cycling Campaign which wants 1,000 bike hangars by 2024, mayor Marvin Rees said the “single biggest flaw” in transport planning is to have a “single focus”. ENDS
> >
> > Imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth 1000 of them will cause to the elderly gammons. :-)
> >
> > NIMBY on steroids.
> Take it up with the council you voted for, Brextards.

They don't agree with democracy though.
SEE:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpLKlrmaQAYM_oD?format=jpg&name=medium

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new fairy-bike bins after £130k funding

<k59o2bFd2kkU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23238&group=uk.rec.cycling#23238

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
_after_£130k_funding
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 16:24:45 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 16:24 UTC

On 17/02/2023 02:11 pm, swldx...@gmail.com...

....still pretending that he isn't responding to another poster, says:

> On Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at 5:58:25 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

....pretending that he isn't responding to another poster, says:

>> On Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at 6:54:56 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> QUOTE:Responding to calls for safer fairy-cycling infrastructure in the city, including from Bristol Fairy-Cycling Campaign which wants 1,000 fairy-bike bins by 2024, mayor Marvin Rees said the “single biggest flaw” in transport planning is to have a “single focus”. ENDS
>
>>> Imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth 1000 of them will cause to the elderly gammons. :-)
>>> NIMBY on steroids.

>> Take it up with the council you voted for, Brextards.
>
> They don't agree with democracy though.
> SEE:
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpLKlrmaQAYM_oD?format=jpg&name=medium

FITY.

Why can't you learn to spell "fairy-bike" (etc) correctly?

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangars after £130k funding

<5548a4a7-1be7-46fd-8997-de8b2f31ef5cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23244&group=uk.rec.cycling#23244

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 08:29:36 -0800 (PST)
_after_£130k_funding
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 16:29 UTC

On Friday, February 17, 2023 at 2:11:55 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at 5:58:25 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at 6:54:56 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > QUOTE:Responding to calls for safer cycling infrastructure in the city, including from Bristol Cycling Campaign which wants 1,000 bike hangars by 2024, mayor Marvin Rees said the “single biggest flaw” in transport planning is to have a “single focus”. ENDS
> > >
> > > Imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth 1000 of them will cause to the elderly gammons. :-)
> > >
> > > NIMBY on steroids.
> > Take it up with the council you voted for, Brextards.
> They don't agree with democracy though.
> SEE:
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpLKlrmaQAYM_oD?format=jpg&name=medium

Just look at the unelected bloated House of Lords.
Democracy my arse.

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new fairy-bike bins after £130k funding

<k59ol0Fd7n5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23247&group=uk.rec.cycling#23247

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
_after_£130k_funding
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 16:34:42 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 16:34 UTC

> ... my arse.
The most sense you've made in a while.

Don't over-read that, though. It was a low bar.

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangars after £130k funding

<dc46ef63-d88d-4bb4-8de2-a7c3203e5860n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23250&group=uk.rec.cycling#23250

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 08:37:07 -0800 (PST)
_after_£130k_funding
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 16:37 UTC

QUOTE:Bristol already has a few secure cycle hangars, which allow people with little storage space at home to safely lock up their bikes. The hangars Bristol already has a few secure cycle hangars, which allow people with little storage space at home to safely lock up their bikes. The hangars take up the space of about one car and usually have enough room to store several bicycles. nd usually have enough room to store several bicycles. ENDS

"The hangars take up the space of about one car"

Still the gammon start crying.

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangars after £130k funding

<k59s0vFdocgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23254&group=uk.rec.cycling#23254

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 17 Feb 2023 17:32:15 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 17:32 UTC

> On Friday, February 17, 2023 at 2:11:55 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Take it up with the council you voted for, Brextards.
>> They don't agree with democracy though.
>> SEE:
>>
>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpLKlrmaQAYM_oD?format=jpg&name=medium

> Just look at the unelected bloated House of Lords.
> Democracy my arse.

Just look at the bloated and unelected institutions of the EU, if you want
‘democracy my arse’.

--
Spike

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangars after £130k funding

<k59s0vFdocgU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23255&group=uk.rec.cycling#23255

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 17 Feb 2023 17:32:15 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 17:32 UTC

> QUOTE:Bristol already has a few secure cycle hangars, which allow people
> with little storage space at home to safely lock up their bikes. The
> hangars Bristol already has a few secure cycle hangars, which allow
> people with little storage space at home to safely lock up their bikes.
> The hangars take up the space of about one car and usually have enough
> room to store several bicycles. nd usually have enough room to store several bicycles. ENDS
>
> "The hangars take up the space of about one car"
>
> Still the gammon start crying.

Something went wrong with the cut and paste.

--
Spike

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangars after £130k funding

<3bf0f4a7-8efe-4da6-a983-d040ba07978bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23262&group=uk.rec.cycling#23262

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 09:57:13 -0800 (PST)
_after_£130k_funding
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 17:57 UTC

QUOTE: The installation of the hangars will take eight weeks and is set to begin soon with the target to finish by the end of March 2023. ENDS

Does that allow for the NIMBYs trying to sabotage the project?

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new fairy-bike bins after £130k funding

<k5a4lfFevrtU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23282&group=uk.rec.cycling#23282

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
_after_£130k_funding
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 19:59:44 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 19:59 UTC

> QUOTE: The installation of the bins will take eight weeks and is set to begin soon with the target to finish by the end of March 2023. ENDS
>
> Does that allow for the NIMBYs trying to sabotage the project?

Surely EVERYONE wants a big bin placed in front of their house?

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangars after £130k funding

<7be874f8-cff6-42e4-8430-9b81990240d4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23283&group=uk.rec.cycling#23283

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 12:32:05 -0800 (PST)
_after_£130k_funding
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 20:32 UTC

QUOTE: In a blog post last year, the mayor said: “As part of our work with the West of England combined authority, we’ve been able to begin the project for a programme of cycle hangars in the city. We will use the funding which will be made available at the January committee to prioritise cycle hangars for council blocks.

“The project scored blocks against strategic criteria such as their links to the strategic cycling network, levels of deprivation and car ownership. ENDS

Don't the gammon NIMBYs drive cars then?
If they don't, why rail against this worthy scheme?

Dog in a manger syndrome?

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new fairy-bike bins after £130k funding

<k5amuuFhlkgU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23293&group=uk.rec.cycling#23293

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
_after_£130k_funding
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 01:11:58 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 01:11 UTC

> QUOTE: In a blog post last year, the mayor said: “As part of our work with the West of England combined authority, we’ve been able to begin the project for a programme of fairy-cycle bins in the city. We will use the funding which will be made available at the January committee to prioritise fairy-cycle hangars for council blocks.
>
> “The project scored blocks against strategic criteria such as their links to the strategic fairy-cycling network, levels of deprivation and car ownership. ENDS
>
> Don't the gammon NIMBYs drive cars then?
> If they don't, why rail against this worthy scheme?
>
> Dog in a manger syndrome?

Fairy-cyclist in a bin syndrome?

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangars after £130k funding

<5bbb38d2-a87b-48bb-a86a-c4888740c392n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23297&group=uk.rec.cycling#23297

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 21:52:18 -0800 (PST)
_after_£130k_funding
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 05:52 UTC

QUOTE: It follows a Bristol World investigation last year which revealed there were 1,561 recorded thefts in 2021 - the equivalent of more than four a day. The investigation, which can be read here, heard from victims who wanted somewhere safe to keep their bike. ENDS

Imagine the uproar if four cars a day were getting nicked by joyriders.

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangars after £130k funding

<k5bluiFm5f7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23305&group=uk.rec.cycling#23305

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 18 Feb 2023 10:00:50 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 10:00 UTC

> QUOTE: It follows a Bristol World investigation last year which revealed
> there were 1,561 recorded thefts in 2021 - the equivalent of more than
> four a day. The investigation, which can be read here, heard from victims
> who wanted somewhere safe to keep their bike. ENDS

> Imagine the uproar if four cars a day were getting nicked by joyriders.

Imagine the uproar if cyclists had to be responsible for the security of
their bicycles.

--
Spike

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangars after £130k funding

<2a63477d-0cee-4ad0-9f74-d071795f353cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23309&group=uk.rec.cycling#23309

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 03:11:39 -0800 (PST)
_after_£130k_funding
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 11:11 UTC

QUOTE: The hangars take up the space of about one car and usually have enough room to store several bicycles. ENDS

So five bikes can fit into the space stolen by one car?

https://preview.redd.it/6itu7prau8081.png?auto=webp&s=350af63fad4fc058dc0626d2f2a062fd5f9e1423

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new fairy-bike bins after £130k funding

<k5bsquFn51cU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23318&group=uk.rec.cycling#23318

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
_after_£130k_funding
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 11:58:22 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 11:58 UTC

On 18/02/2023 05:52 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> QUOTE: It follows a Bristol World investigation last year which revealed there were 1,561 recorded thefts in 2021 - the equivalent of more than four a day. The investigation, which can be read here, heard from victims who wanted somewhere safe to keep their fairy-bike. ENDS
>
> Imagine the uproar if four cars a day were getting nicked by joyriders.

???

The number, I am sure, is far more than that.

Usually stolen / TWOCd by fully-qualified fairy-cyclists, too.

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new fairy-bike bins after £130k funding

<k5bstjFn51cU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23320&group=uk.rec.cycling#23320

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
_after_£130k_funding
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 11:59:47 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 11:59 UTC

On 18/02/2023 11:11 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> QUOTE: The fairy-bike bins take up the space of about one car and usually have enough room to store several fairy-bicycles. ENDS
>
> So five fairy-bikes can fit into the space stolen by one car?
>
> https://preview.redd.it/6itu7prau8081.png?auto=webp&s=350af63fad4fc058dc0626d2f2a062fd5f9e1423

FIFY.

No charge.

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangars after £130k funding

<69733072-d014-4f34-9a79-7a4536bf5e8dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23322&group=uk.rec.cycling#23322

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 04:00:20 -0800 (PST)
_after_£130k_funding
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 12:00 UTC

On Saturday, February 18, 2023 at 11:11:41 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: The hangars take up the space of about one car and usually have enough room to store several bicycles. ENDS
>
> So five bikes can fit into the space stolen by one car?
>
> https://preview.redd.it/6itu7prau8081.png?auto=webp&s=350af63fad4fc058dc0626d2f2a062fd5f9e1423

Must admit that the tram in the winner here.

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new fairy-bike bins after £130k funding

<k5cab8Fp65dU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23334&group=uk.rec.cycling#23334

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
_after_£130k_funding
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 15:48:56 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 15:48 UTC

On 18/02/2023 12:00 pm, swldx...@gmail.com...

.... pretending again to be responding only to himself, said:

> On Saturday, February 18, 2023 at 11:11:41 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> QUOTE: The bins take up the space of about one car and usually have enough room to store several fairy-bicycles. ENDS
>>
>> So five faiey-bikes can fit into the space properly occupied by one car?
>>
>> https://preview.redd.it/6itu7prau8081.png?auto=webp&s=350af63fad4fc058dc0626d2f2a062fd5f9e1423
>
> Must admit that the tram in the winner here.

Again, in English this time, M'Lud?

Re: The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangars after £130k funding

<e5a72f32-aaf9-4f35-ad08-f7932722abf0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23343&group=uk.rec.cycling#23343

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 09:08:48 -0800 (PST)
_after_£130k_funding
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 17:08 UTC

We know that a car is just about the biggest waste of space around. And we don’t mean “waste of space” like your teenage kid’s stoner best friend, the one who mooches all the snacks from your fridge and watches your Netflix all day long. No, we mean a literal waste of space. As transportation goes, cars use more road real estate than buses, bikes, trams, or trains.

You can really see that truth in these great animations, designed to show just good different methods of transport are at moving people around. The first, produced by traffic planning software company PTV Vision Traffic, shows how long it takes to shift 200 people past a stop line, using various modes of transportation, including train, bus, bike, car, and walking. Here it is:

Cars, as you’d expect, came dead last, taking over four minutes to move just 200 people over the line. In the city, the superior acceleration and speed of a car give no advantage. Busses and trams come first—no surprise, they’re called “mass” transit for a reason. But bikes come in far behind pedestrians, taking two minutes to get 200 people over a line, compared to just 38 seconds for walking. Obviously, over longer distances, things change a lot, but it’s interesting nonetheless, as much city travel is stop-start.

The second video did the same, but with the occupancy levels of the vehicles tweaked so that they were all full to capacity (the previous video showed them at typical occupancy levels). Bikes fared worst this time, overtaken by cars (a bike is always at maximum occupancy after all, unless it’s a tandem), but trams and buses soared ahead. The tram took just nine seconds to shift 200 people over the line.

Now Traffic Inside has made a third animated video, this time focusing on the space used by vehicles. It has the same 200 people in the same vehicles, only this time the traffic lanes are widened so that each mode of transport takes the same amount of time to pass our hypothetical traffic light. The vehicles are occupied with a “typical number of passengers.”

The various widths are given in meters, but you can see everything better in the video. Cars need eight lanes to keep up with a single tram track, and bikes need over half the space taken by cars, and four times the space required by pedestrians. Again, this is only relevant to stop-start traffic, but it shows how much space is wasted by allowing cars in cities.

Traffic research is ongoing, and in places like the Netherlands. bikes are often given priority. One paper has studied the capacity per hour of bike lanes. It seems clear that cars are the wrong choice in dense cities, but just how much space should given to bikes vs. mass transit, and so on? This is the question that could shape transport in the future.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3063344/these-animated-videos-show-just-how-much-space-cars-waste-in-our-cities

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / The 16 Bristol locations to get new bike hangars after £130k funding