From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: how to be on home network away from home
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 14:06:10 +1100
 by: Max - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 03:06 UTC

My workplace allows me to shell into their systems from home because my
home IP address is whitelisted on their firewall.

If I am away from home on my phone, can I use a terminal app such as
Terminus and connect to my workplace via my home network, so that it is
coming from my home IP address and therefore will be allowed in?

Re: how to be on home network away from home

<bhho8i-ma6.ln1@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2311&group=aus.computers#2311

From: grschm...@acm.org (Gary R. Schmidt)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Re: how to be on home network away from home
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 18:19:46 +1100
 by: Gary R. Schmidt - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 07:19 UTC

On 15/12/2021 14:06, Max wrote:
> My workplace allows me to shell into their systems from home because my
> home IP address is whitelisted on their firewall.
>
> If I am away from home on my phone, can I use a terminal app such as
> Terminus and connect to my workplace via my home network, so that it is
> coming from my home IP address and therefore will be allowed in?

Short answer - yes. Chaining ssh commands can be such fun!

Longer answer - ask them to whitelist your mobile when you need it.
Most competent network administrators have a wee script that turns on a
range, or a single address, for an hour or two, and then closes it down.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Re: how to be on home network away from home

<20211215190503.6bc462aa@ryz>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2312&group=aus.computers#2312

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 19:05:03 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 18:05 UTC

Am Mittwoch, 15. Dezember 2021, um 14:06:10 Uhr schrieb Max:

> My workplace allows me to shell into their systems from home because
> my home IP address is whitelisted on their firewall.
>
> If I am away from home on my phone, can I use a terminal app such as
> Terminus and connect to my workplace via my home network, so that it
> is coming from my home IP address and therefore will be allowed in?

You need to make sure it uses the same IP address or address range.
Just log in remotely to your computer at home that has the specific IP
address.