If the ends don't justify the means, then what does? -- Robert Moses

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: FVP-4000T

SubjectAuthor
* FVP-4000Tgareth evans
`* Re: FVP-4000Ttim...
 +* Re: FVP-4000TMrSpook v3dxUbm
 |`* Re: FVP-4000Ttim...
 | `* Re: FVP-4000TMrSpook yyub
 |  `* Re: FVP-4000Ttim...
 |   `* Re: FVP-4000TMrSpook zd
 |    `- Re: FVP-4000Ttim...
 `* Re: FVP-4000TBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
  `* Re: FVP-4000Tgareth evans
   `* Re: FVP-4000Ttim...
    `- Re: FVP-4000Tgareth evans

1
FVP-4000T

<s92v1l$r5j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23070&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#23070

From: headston...@yahoo.com (gareth evans)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: FVP-4000T
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 16:23:31 +0100
 by: gareth evans - Mon, 31 May 2021 15:23 UTC

Strange Humax behaviour ...

Was setting up the recording list for the day, but
got to a stage where it ignored all further attempts
to make programmes for recording.

Thinking that I might have reached some limit on
the maximum length of the recording list, I tried
to delete some , but the deletions were ignored.

I went into the schedule to purge old recordings long
since forgotten but all attepts were ignored.

I just could not make any further changes, insertions
or deletions, to the wanted recordings.

Went for a software update, but that didn't solve the
problem.

The only thing that finally worked was to power off for
a long time to ensure that all backup supplies were dead,
and then to power back on, after which things were back to normal.

Humax irritates me intensely because if we're watching a
recording and therefore not caring as to what the
underlying TV channel is, if there is a conflict and it wants
to change that channel, it pops up with a question as to
is it OK to switch, and if we miss that question, then the
wanted recording is missed. Why bother to ask if it's OK
to change channel when we couldn't care less?

Re: FVP-4000T

<s9389g$6ba$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23071&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#23071

From: timsnew...@gmail.com (tim...)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: FVP-4000T
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 19:01:19 +0100
 by: tim... - Mon, 31 May 2021 18:01 UTC

"gareth evans" <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Strange Humax behaviour ...
>
> Was setting up the recording list for the day, but
> got to a stage where it ignored all further attempts
> to make programmes for recording.
>
> Thinking that I might have reached some limit on
> the maximum length of the recording list, I tried
> to delete some , but the deletions were ignored.
>
> I went into the schedule to purge old recordings long
> since forgotten but all attepts were ignored.
>
> I just could not make any further changes, insertions
> or deletions, to the wanted recordings.
>
> Went for a software update, but that didn't solve the
> problem.
>
> The only thing that finally worked was to power off for
> a long time to ensure that all backup supplies were dead,
> and then to power back on, after which things were back to normal.

ITYF that's what called a good old software bug

seen similar happen on all my boxes, not all made by Humax

> Humax irritates me intensely because if we're watching a
> recording and therefore not caring as to what the
> underlying TV channel is, if there is a conflict and it wants
> to change that channel, it pops up with a question as to
> is it OK to switch, and if we miss that question, then the
> wanted recording is missed. Why bother to ask if it's OK
> to change channel when we couldn't care less?

Now that is strange

It's not the operation of any Humax I have owned

Even if we ignore the presence of this message whilst replaying a recording,
IME when Humax boxes ask this question it is the negative response that is
expected.

I.e. you have to answer "yes" to it to NOT override what you are currently
doing and to NOT make the recording, Ignoring the message results in the
recording being performed.

If you think about it it has too happen that way, to cover the (very real)
possibility that people have absently minded left their box on, in the wrong
mode, whilst they have turned off their TV and gone to bed. BTDTGTTS (and
never lost a recording because of it)

tim

Re: FVP-4000T

<s93drm$n7c$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23073&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#23073

From: MrSpook_...@3edaag1mq.info
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 19:36:22 +0000 (UTC)
 by: MrSpook_...@3edaag1mq.info - Mon, 31 May 2021 19:36 UTC

On Mon, 31 May 2021 19:01:19 +0100
"tim..." <timsnews99@gmail.com> wrote:
>"gareth evans" <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> and then to power back on, after which things were back to normal.
>
>ITYF that's what called a good old software bug

A fimeware update or factory reset should solve things however. The fact
that it doesn't shows up Humax piss poor software for what it is. Ironically
all I have to do is auto retune on mine and it forgets all the scheduled
recordings. Wonderful. Oddly that "feature" isn't mentioned in the manual.

>> Humax irritates me intensely because if we're watching a
>> recording and therefore not caring as to what the
>> underlying TV channel is, if there is a conflict and it wants
>> to change that channel, it pops up with a question as to
>> is it OK to switch, and if we miss that question, then the
>> wanted recording is missed. Why bother to ask if it's OK
>> to change channel when we couldn't care less?
>
>Now that is strange
>
>It's not the operation of any Humax I have owned

It does it on mine too.

>I.e. you have to answer "yes" to it to NOT override what you are currently
>doing and to NOT make the recording, Ignoring the message results in the
>recording being performed.

Nope. If you ignore the message or press OK by mistake you can wave bye bye
to your scheduled recording. An appalling piece of user interface design.

Re: FVP-4000T

<s94l0b$14o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23075&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#23075

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 07:44:26 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 06:44 UTC

What I find very humorous is that way back in the years of vhs and betamax,
an Akai otherwise very well built machine had a mode where you could move a
cursor over the teletext program listings to set up for multiple recordings,
and bearing in mind the finite length of the tape. Every so often it would
lock up or just refuse to take a programme into memory, though it looked on
screen just like all the others. So software is always buggy, and I suspect
the more complex it gets the more bugs that never show up until the customer
gets the product.
As you say the old turn it off and on is a very handy operation with most
things that even have a sniff of so called smarts in them.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"tim..." <timsnews99@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "gareth evans" <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Strange Humax behaviour ...
>>
>> Was setting up the recording list for the day, but
>> got to a stage where it ignored all further attempts
>> to make programmes for recording.
>>
>> Thinking that I might have reached some limit on
>> the maximum length of the recording list, I tried
>> to delete some , but the deletions were ignored.
>>
>> I went into the schedule to purge old recordings long
>> since forgotten but all attepts were ignored.
>>
>> I just could not make any further changes, insertions
>> or deletions, to the wanted recordings.
>>
>> Went for a software update, but that didn't solve the
>> problem.
>>
>> The only thing that finally worked was to power off for
>> a long time to ensure that all backup supplies were dead,
>> and then to power back on, after which things were back to normal.
>
> ITYF that's what called a good old software bug
>
> seen similar happen on all my boxes, not all made by Humax
>
>> Humax irritates me intensely because if we're watching a
>> recording and therefore not caring as to what the
>> underlying TV channel is, if there is a conflict and it wants
>> to change that channel, it pops up with a question as to
>> is it OK to switch, and if we miss that question, then the
>> wanted recording is missed. Why bother to ask if it's OK
>> to change channel when we couldn't care less?
>
> Now that is strange
>
> It's not the operation of any Humax I have owned
>
> Even if we ignore the presence of this message whilst replaying a
> recording, IME when Humax boxes ask this question it is the negative
> response that is expected.
>
> I.e. you have to answer "yes" to it to NOT override what you are currently
> doing and to NOT make the recording, Ignoring the message results in the
> recording being performed.
>
> If you think about it it has too happen that way, to cover the (very real)
> possibility that people have absently minded left their box on, in the
> wrong mode, whilst they have turned off their TV and gone to bed.
> BTDTGTTS (and never lost a recording because of it)
>
> tim

Re: FVP-4000T

<s94p9c$pkf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23079&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#23079

From: timsnew...@gmail.com (tim...)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 08:57:30 +0100
 by: tim... - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 07:57 UTC

<MrSpook_v3dxUbm@3edaag1mq.info> wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 May 2021 19:01:19 +0100
> "tim..." <timsnews99@gmail.com> wrote:
>>"gareth evans" <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> and then to power back on, after which things were back to normal.
>>
>>ITYF that's what called a good old software bug
>
> A fimeware update or factory reset should solve things however.

he said that a power down solved it.

which is less severe that your suggestions

Admittedly a soft power off should have fixed it, but tis the way of the
world that it doesn't

>The fact
> that it doesn't shows up Humax piss poor software for what it is.

Oh I agree Humax have a track record of being rubbish at writing software,
but a power down usually solves every glitch (obviously that won't solve the
logical errors)

> Ironically
> all I have to do is auto retune on mine

another piece of overkill IMHO

>and it forgets all the scheduled
> recordings. Wonderful. Oddly that "feature" isn't mentioned in the manual.

are you referring to an auto tune losing all scheduled recordings?

Yep that is a PITA, but again it's the way that most machines work if you
select this feature.

Dunno how my new box (5000T) works. Haven't had the need for a retune since
I got it.

>>> Humax irritates me intensely because if we're watching a
>>> recording and therefore not caring as to what the
>>> underlying TV channel is, if there is a conflict and it wants
>>> to change that channel, it pops up with a question as to
>>> is it OK to switch, and if we miss that question, then the
>>> wanted recording is missed. Why bother to ask if it's OK
>>> to change channel when we couldn't care less?
>>
>>Now that is strange
>>
>>It's not the operation of any Humax I have owned
>
> It does it on mine too.
>
>>I.e. you have to answer "yes" to it to NOT override what you are currently
>>doing and to NOT make the recording, Ignoring the message results in the
>>recording being performed.
>
> Nope. If you ignore the message

really?

>or press OK by mistake you can wave bye bye
> to your scheduled recording.

which is what I said above

you press yes to override the schedule recording

Doing nothing should be the correct action.

Re: FVP-4000T

<s9526p$md7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23080&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#23080

From: headston...@yahoo.com (gareth evans)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 11:29:43 +0100
 by: gareth evans - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 10:29 UTC

> "gareth evans" <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Humax irritates me intensely because if we're watching a
>> recording and therefore not caring as to what the
>> underlying TV channel is, if there is a conflict and it wants
>> to change that channel, it pops up with a question as to
>> is it OK to switch, and if we miss that question, then the
>> wanted recording is missed. Why bother to ask if it's OK
>> to change channel when we couldn't care less?

This is especially annoying if we're going out for the day
and have scheduled quite a lot of simultaneous recordings;
recordings requiring the use of all three channels.

Let us assume that for the first tranche of simultaneous
recordings we have ensured that the TV channel is set to
one needed for one of those recordings, but then there is
another tranche of simultaneous recordings and because
we're out we don't see the switch message and so miss
out on one of the required programmes.

Re: FVP-4000T

<s952hm$t4o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23081&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#23081

From: timsnew...@gmail.com (tim...)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 11:35:33 +0100
 by: tim... - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 10:35 UTC

>> "gareth evans" <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Humax irritates me intensely because if we're watching a
>>> recording and therefore not caring as to what the
>>> underlying TV channel is, if there is a conflict and it wants
>>> to change that channel, it pops up with a question as to
>>> is it OK to switch, and if we miss that question, then the
>>> wanted recording is missed. Why bother to ask if it's OK
>>> to change channel when we couldn't care less?
>
> This is especially annoying if we're going out for the day
> and have scheduled quite a lot of simultaneous recordings;
> recordings requiring the use of all three channels.
>
> Let us assume that for the first tranche of simultaneous
> recordings we have ensured that the TV channel is set to
> one needed for one of those recordings, but then there is
> another tranche of simultaneous recordings and because
> we're out we don't see the switch message and so miss
> out on one of the required programmes.

You should put the box into the standby state using the soft power down

that way it doesn't "think" that it's currently "in" any channel and thus
has no need to ask for confirmation before changing that channel

Re: FVP-4000T

<s95jce$etn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23091&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#23091

From: headston...@yahoo.com (gareth evans)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 16:22:52 +0100
 by: gareth evans - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 15:22 UTC

On 01/06/2021 11:35, tim... wrote:

> "gareth evans" <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> This is especially annoying if we're going out for the day
>> and have scheduled quite a lot of simultaneous recordings;
>> recordings requiring the use of all three channels.
>>
>> Let us assume that for the first tranche of simultaneous
>> recordings we have ensured that the TV channel is set to
>> one needed for one of those recordings, but then there is
>> another tranche of simultaneous recordings and because
>> we're out we don't see the switch message and so miss
>> out on one of the required programmes.
>>

> You should put the box into the standby state using the soft power down
>
> that way it doesn't "think" that it's currently "in" any channel and
> thus has no need to ask for confirmation before changing that channel

What a good idea! Glad I asked!

Re: FVP-4000T

<s95t7d$11ef$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23099&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#23099

From: MrSpook_...@02yeumxzp4_.co.uk
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 18:10:53 +0000 (UTC)
 by: MrSpook_...@02yeumxzp4_.co.uk - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 18:10 UTC

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 08:57:30 +0100
"tim..." <timsnews99@gmail.com> wrote:
><MrSpook_v3dxUbm@3edaag1mq.info> wrote in message
>>and it forgets all the scheduled
>> recordings. Wonderful. Oddly that "feature" isn't mentioned in the manual.
>
>are you referring to an auto tune losing all scheduled recordings?

Yup.

>Yep that is a PITA, but again it's the way that most machines work if you
>select this feature.

It shouldn't be. The scheduled recordings should just be channel id +
program id + time period. There's no reason to wipe them. If the channel
id's change then so what? Mark the scheduled slot as dodgy, don't just
delete the flippin lot.

>Dunno how my new box (5000T) works. Haven't had the need for a retune since
>I got it.

Here in London the double digit channels are often moved around.

Re: FVP-4000T

<s976ec$8kr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23108&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#23108

From: timsnew...@gmail.com (tim...)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 06:54:17 +0100
 by: tim... - Wed, 2 Jun 2021 05:54 UTC

<MrSpook_yyub@02yeumxzp4_.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 08:57:30 +0100
> "tim..." <timsnews99@gmail.com> wrote:
>><MrSpook_v3dxUbm@3edaag1mq.info> wrote in message
>>>and it forgets all the scheduled
>>> recordings. Wonderful. Oddly that "feature" isn't mentioned in the
>>> manual.
>>
>>are you referring to an auto tune losing all scheduled recordings?
>
> Yup.
>
>>Yep that is a PITA, but again it's the way that most machines work if you
>>select this feature.
>
> It shouldn't be. The scheduled recordings should just be channel id +
> program id + time period. There's no reason to wipe them. If the channel
> id's change then so what? Mark the scheduled slot as dodgy, don't just
> delete the flippin lot.
>
>>Dunno how my new box (5000T) works. Haven't had the need for a retune
>>since
>>I got it.
>
> Here in London the double digit channels are often moved around.

I don't think anything's changed since CCXTV died in Jan

I bought the new box in March

Re: FVP-4000T

<s9a2vr$135n$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23148&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#23148

From: MrSpook...@dy3d.co.uk
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 08:13:47 +0000 (UTC)
 by: MrSpook...@dy3d.co.uk - Thu, 3 Jun 2021 08:13 UTC

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 06:54:17 +0100
"tim..." <timsnews99@gmail.com> wrote:
><MrSpook_yyub@02yeumxzp4_.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 08:57:30 +0100
>> "tim..." <timsnews99@gmail.com> wrote:
>>><MrSpook_v3dxUbm@3edaag1mq.info> wrote in message
>>>
>>>are you referring to an auto tune losing all scheduled recordings?
>>
>> Yup.
>>
>>>Yep that is a PITA, but again it's the way that most machines work if you
>>>select this feature.
>>
>> It shouldn't be. The scheduled recordings should just be channel id +
>> program id + time period. There's no reason to wipe them. If the channel
>> id's change then so what? Mark the scheduled slot as dodgy, don't just
>> delete the flippin lot.
>>
>>>Dunno how my new box (5000T) works. Haven't had the need for a retune
>>>since
>>>I got it.
>>
>> Here in London the double digit channels are often moved around.
>
>I don't think anything's changed since CCXTV died in Jan
>
>I bought the new box in March

You haven't noticed GBNews appear then?

Re: FVP-4000T

<s9api1$5it$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23155&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#23155

From: timsnew...@gmail.com (tim...)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 15:38:56 +0100
 by: tim... - Thu, 3 Jun 2021 14:38 UTC

<MrSpook_zd@dy3d.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 06:54:17 +0100
> "tim..." <timsnews99@gmail.com> wrote:
>><MrSpook_yyub@02yeumxzp4_.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> Yup.

>>> It shouldn't be. The scheduled recordings should just be channel id +
>>> program id + time period. There's no reason to wipe them. If the channel
>>> id's change then so what? Mark the scheduled slot as dodgy, don't just
>>> delete the flippin lot.

>>> Here in London the double digit channels are often moved around.
>>
>>I don't think anything's changed since CCXTV died in Jan
>>
>>I bought the new box in March
>
> You haven't noticed GBNews appear then?

on 236?

Nope

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: FVP-4000T