When among apes, one must play the ape.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Shimano’s cycling sales hit record high

SubjectAuthor
* Shimano’s cycling sales hit record highswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Shimano’s fairy-cycling sales hit record hiJNugent
+* Re: Shimano’s cycling sales hit record highswldx...@gmail.com
|+* Re: Shimano’s cycling salesSpike
||`* Re: Shimano’s fairy-cycling sales hit record hiJNugent
|| `- Re: Shimano’s fairy-cycling salesSpike
|+* Re: Shimano’s cycling sales hit record highswldx...@gmail.com
||+- Re: Shimano’s cycling salesSpike
||`* Re: Shimano’s cycling sales hit record highSimon Mason
|| +- Re: Shimano’s cycling salesSpike
|| `- Re: Shimano’s cycling sales hit record highJNugent
|`- Re: Shimano’s cycling sales hit record highswldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: Shimano’s cycling sales hit record highSimon Mason

1
Shimano’s cycling sales hit record high

<3bdf9cbf-29a9-4a07-8f2a-67f1eabab420n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23177&group=uk.rec.cycling#23177

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 21:32:02 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Shimano’s_cycling_sales_hit_record_high
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 05:32 UTC

The world’s leading bicycle component manufacturer Shimano published its financial results for 2022 (link is external) this week, declaring a record revenue of ¥517.4 million, equivalent to around £3.2 billion. This comes despite “the strong interest in cycling during the COVID-19 pandemic showed signs of cooling down”, according to Shimano, who also said strong sales of the new Shimano 105 groupset helped to boost performance in its bicycle component division.

The Osaka-based manufacturer recorded a sales increase of 16.6 per cent on 2021, which was previously its best year in terms of shipping out bike products, attributed to the boom in cycling during the pandemic.

In the report, Shimano also declared an operating income of almost ¥145,000 million, or £900 million, which eclipses its previous income of £775 million in 2021.

However, the company’s growth was hindered significantly in comparison to 2021, when it posted a record increase of 44 per cent over 2020, along with celebrating its centenary with some snazzy promo books. Nonetheless, Shimano mentioned that the demand for bicycles remained higher than pre-pandemic levels.

Despite some bike industry forecasts looking bleak going into 2023, Shimano's 2022 financial results should come as a good news for the industry. Another positive slant recently came from the CEO of Pon Holdings, the Dutch conglomerate that owns cycling brands such as Cervelo and Santa Cruz, who called for patience and claimed long-term trends such as increased inshoring would be "incredible for biking" in an interview with Bike Europe (link is external).

Back to Shimano, the company continued in its statement: “In terms of market inventories of completed bicycles, those of high-end class bicycles remained at a low level. Meanwhile, inventory levels of middle-class bicycles rose, following those of entry-class bicycles."

It went on to single out two products which attracted “brisk” orders in the market: the new Shimano 105 groupset for high-end road bicycles, and its sport e-bike components, STEPS (Shimano Total Electric Power System).

The strong performance of Shimano 105 may come as a surprise to some who may have thought that Shimano making its third-tier groupset electronic and disc brake-only could make it prohibitively expensive; but as we predicted at the time of the launch in June 2022, the product appears to have been a success so far.

In Europe, the company said that “sales of bicycles and bicycle-related products remained firm, partly backed by strong interest in bicycles”, with albeit somewhat high market inventories. A similar market assessment and sales performance was seen in North America as well.

In Asia and South and Central America, interest and sales cooled off as a result of high inflation, according to the company’s report; although there was still demand for sport and e-bikes in Japan.

However, Shimano, which also manufactures fishing and rowing equipment, is wary of its sales in 2023, forecasting a total sale of ¥500 million, with its bicycle division driving 80% of those sales.

“There is concern that global supply chains will be disrupted by supply constraints and heightened political tension caused by geopolitical risks that have emerged, such as the prolonged situation in Ukraine, and that high inflation dragging on and tight monetary policies adopted globally may put downward pressure on economy,” said the company.

Nevertheless, Shimano is ready to weather 2023 head-on. A company spokesperson said it will “strive to develop and manufacture captivating products that bring sensations to many people, and “continue to create a shared value between corporations and society”... 14-speed, anyone?

https://road.cc/content/news/shimanos-bike-division-hits-record-sales-299355

Re: Shimano’s fairy-cycling sales hit record high

<k5997vFatonU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23200&group=uk.rec.cycling#23200

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Shimano’s_fairy-cycling_sales_hit_record_hi
gh
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 12:11:43 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 12:11 UTC

On 17/02/2023 05:32 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> The world’s leading fairy-bicycle component manufacturer Shimano published its financial results for 2022 (link is external) this week, declaring a record revenue of ¥517.4 million, equivalent to around £3.2 billion. This comes despite “the strong interest in fairy-cycling during the COVID-19 pandemic showed signs of cooling down”, according to Shimano, who also said strong sales of the new Shimano 105 groupset helped to boost performance in its fairy-bicycle component division.
> The Osaka-based manufacturer recorded a sales increase of 16.6 per cent on 2021, which was previously its best year in terms of shipping out fairy-bike products, attributed to the boom in fairy-cycling during the pandemic.
> In the report, Shimano also declared an operating income of almost ¥145,000 million, or £900 million, which eclipses its previous income of £775 million in 2021.
> However, the company’s growth was hindered significantly in comparison to 2021, when it posted a record increase of 44 per cent over 2020, along with celebrating its centenary with some snazzy promo books. Nonetheless, Shimano mentioned that the demand for fairy-bicycles remained higher than pre-pandemic levels.
> Despite some fairy-bike industry forecasts looking bleak going into 2023, Shimano's 2022 financial results should come as a good news for the industry. Another positive slant recently came from the CEO of Pon Holdings, the Dutch conglomerate that owns fairy-cycling brands such as Cervelo and Santa Cruz, who called for patience and claimed long-term trends such as increased inshoring would be "incredible for fairy-biking" in an interview with Fairy Bike Europe (link is external).
> Back to Shimano, the company continued in its statement: “In terms of market inventories of completed fairy-bicycles, those of high-end class fairy-bicycles remained at a low level. Meanwhile, inventory levels of middle-class fairy-bicycles rose, following those of entry-class fairy-bicycles."

"Middle class fairy-bicycles"?

The mind boggles.

Are these the fairy-cycling equivalent of an Audi or Lexus?

> It went on to single out two products which attracted “brisk” orders in the market: the new Shimano 105 groupset for high-end road fairy-bicycles, and its sport e-fairy-bike components, STEPS (Shimano Total Electric Power System).
> The strong performance of Shimano 105 may come as a surprise to some who may have thought that Shimano making its third-tier groupset electronic and disc brake-only could make it prohibitively expensive; but as we predicted at the time of the launch in June 2022, the product appears to have been a success so far.
> In Europe, the company said that “sales of fairy-bicycles and fairy-bicycle-related products remained firm, partly backed by strong interest in fairy-bicycles”, with albeit somewhat high market inventories. A similar market assessment and sales performance was seen in North America as well.
> In Asia and South and Central America, interest and sales cooled off as a result of high inflation, according to the company’s report; although there was still demand for sport and e-fairy-bikes in Japan.
> However, Shimano, which also manufactures fishing and rowing equipment, is wary of its sales in 2023, forecasting a total sale of ¥500 million, with its fairy-bicycle division driving 80% of those sales.
> “There is concern that global supply chains will be disrupted by supply constraints and heightened political tension caused by geopolitical risks that have emerged, such as the prolonged situation in Ukraine, and that high inflation dragging on and tight monetary policies adopted globally may put downward pressure on economy,” said the company.
> Nevertheless, Shimano is ready to weather 2023 head-on. A company spokesperson said it will “strive to develop and manufacture captivating products that bring sensations to many people, and “continue to create a shared value between corporations and society”... 14-speed, anyone?

> https://road.cc/content/news/shimanos-bike-division-hits-record-sales-299355

Re: Shimano’s cycling sales hit record high

<7548cf7f-1dfa-4a70-a20b-9577652c8be1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23212&group=uk.rec.cycling#23212

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 06:02:43 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re:_Shimano’s_cycling_sales_hit_record_high
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 14:02 UTC

QUOTE:
The world’s leading bicycle component manufacturer Shimano published its financial results for 2022 (link is external) this week, declaring a record revenue of ¥517.4 million, equivalent to around £3.2 billion. ENDS

Wow - that's more than UK Centrica!
Amazing.

Re: Shimano’s cycling sales hit record high

<k59hbpFc55tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23222&group=uk.rec.cycling#23222

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Shimano’s cycling sales
hit record high
Date: 17 Feb 2023 14:30:17 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 14:30 UTC

> QUOTE:
> The world’s leading bicycle component manufacturer Shimano published its
> financial results for 2022 (link is external) this week, declaring a
> record revenue of ¥517.4 million, equivalent to around £3.2 billion. ENDS
>
> Wow - that's more than UK Centrica!
> Amazing.
I’m forming the opinion that cyclists will buy anything so long as it’s
dressed up as being superior.

--
Spike

Re: Shimano’s fairy-cycling sales hit record high

<k59m2pFcnpsU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23226&group=uk.rec.cycling#23226

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
gh
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 15:50:51 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 15:50 UTC

On 17/02/2023 02:30 pm, Spike wrote:

> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

>> QUOTE:
>> The world’s leading fairy-bicycle component manufacturer Shimano published
>> its financial results for 2022 (link is external) this week, declaring a
>> record revenue of ¥517.4 million, equivalent to around £3.2 billion. ENDS

>> Wow - that's more than UK Centrica!
>> Amazing.
>
> I’m forming the opinion that cyclists will buy anything so long as it’s
> dressed up as being superior.

They're all Considerably Richer Than Yow and cannot bear the thought of
your not knowing it.

Q: Why do Rich People spend their leisure time drinking home-brew in a
pit in the floor of their garage?

Re: Shimano’s fairy-cycling sales hit record high

<k59ms9Fcus8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23229&group=uk.rec.cycling#23229

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Shimano’s fairy-cycling sales
hit record high
Date: 17 Feb 2023 16:04:25 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 16:04 UTC

JNugent <jenningsandco@mail.com> wrote:
> On 17/02/2023 02:30 pm, Spike wrote:
>
>> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> QUOTE:
>>> The world’s leading fairy-bicycle component manufacturer Shimano published
>>> its financial results for 2022 (link is external) this week, declaring a
>>> record revenue of ¥517.4 million, equivalent to around £3.2 billion. ENDS
>
>>> Wow - that's more than UK Centrica!
>>> Amazing.
>>
>> I’m forming the opinion that cyclists will buy anything so long as it’s
>> dressed up as being superior.
>
> They're all Considerably Richer Than Yow and cannot bear the thought of
> your not knowing it.

> Q: Why do Rich People spend their leisure time drinking home-brew in a
> pit in the floor of their garage?

I shudder to think…

--
Spike

Re: Shimano’s cycling sales hit record high

<e0b32ca3-2024-4dc8-b9dc-f252c37a6fdcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23237&group=uk.rec.cycling#23237

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 08:24:20 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 16:24 UTC

On Friday, February 17, 2023 at 2:02:45 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE:
> The world’s leading bicycle component manufacturer Shimano published its financial results for 2022 (link is external) this week, declaring a record revenue of ¥517.4 million, equivalent to around £3.2 billion. ENDS
>
> Wow - that's more than UK Centrica!
> Amazing.

That's in face of far more competition than the few gas firms left after loads that have gone bust in the last two years.

Re: Shimano’s cycling sales hit record high

<k59s0vFdocgU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23257&group=uk.rec.cycling#23257

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
hit record high
Date: 17 Feb 2023 17:32:15 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 17:32 UTC

> On Friday, February 17, 2023 at 2:02:45 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> QUOTE:
>> The world’s leading bicycle component manufacturer Shimano published its
>> financial results for 2022 (link is external) this week, declaring a
>> record revenue of ¥517.4 million, equivalent to around £3.2 billion. ENDS
>>
>> Wow - that's more than UK Centrica!
>> Amazing.
>
> That's in face of far more competition than the few gas firms left after
> loads that have gone bust in the last two years.

…due to inadequate business models.

--
Spike

Re: Shimano’s cycling sales hit record high

<d7f5a2a7-96c2-48c1-a723-dca841a0f80dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23264&group=uk.rec.cycling#23264

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 10:02:55 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer2...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 18:02 UTC

On Friday, 17 February 2023 at 16:24:21 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, February 17, 2023 at 2:02:45 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > QUOTE:
> > The world’s leading bicycle component manufacturer Shimano published its financial results for 2022 (link is external) this week, declaring a record revenue of ¥517.4 million, equivalent to around £3.2 billion. ENDS
> >
> > Wow - that's more than UK Centrica!
> > Amazing.
> That's in face of far more competition than the few gas firms left after loads that have gone bust in the last two years.

QUOTE: Since the beginning of 2021, 31 energy companies have ceased trading.. ENDS

Still "winning" you Brextards ?

Re: Shimano’s cycling sales hit record high

<k59vboFe8h2U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23266&group=uk.rec.cycling#23266

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
hit record high
Date: 17 Feb 2023 18:29:12 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 18:29 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer2022@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, 17 February 2023 at 16:24:21 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Friday, February 17, 2023 at 2:02:45 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> QUOTE:
>>> The world’s leading bicycle component manufacturer Shimano published
>>> its financial results for 2022 (link is external) this week, declaring
>>> a record revenue of ¥517.4 million, equivalent to around £3.2 billion. ENDS
>>>
>>> Wow - that's more than UK Centrica!
>>> Amazing.
>> That's in face of far more competition than the few gas firms left after
>> loads that have gone bust in the last two years.
>
> QUOTE: Since the beginning of 2021, 31 energy companies have ceased trading. ENDS
>
> Still "winning" you Brextards ?

Since the beginning of 2021, 31 energy companies have ceased trading
entirely due to flawed business models, all too cruelly revealed by a major
war on the European continent.

--
Spike

Re: Shimano’s cycling sales hit record high

<a72c9fd5-f219-4018-9917-a209b12f01d5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23272&group=uk.rec.cycling#23272

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 11:08:00 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer2...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 19:08 UTC

"Despite some bike industry forecasts looking bleak going into 2023, Shimano's 2022 financial results should come as a good news for the industry. "

Why? Aren't the sales results just a reflection of what has been delivered? And we know that there has been over-ordering by bike-manufacturers who are now stockpiling bikes in warehouses.

Re: Shimano’s cycling sales hit record high

<k5a4i9FevrtU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23281&group=uk.rec.cycling#23281

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 19:58:02 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 19:58 UTC

On 17/02/2023 06:02 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
> On Friday, 17 February 2023 at 16:24:21 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Friday, February 17, 2023 at 2:02:45 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> QUOTE:
>>> The world’s leading bicycle component manufacturer Shimano published its financial results for 2022 (link is external) this week, declaring a record revenue of ¥517.4 million, equivalent to around £3.2 billion. ENDS
>>>
>>> Wow - that's more than UK Centrica!
>>> Amazing.
>> That's in face of far more competition than the few gas firms left after loads that have gone bust in the last two years.
>
> QUOTE: Since the beginning of 2021, 31 energy companies have ceased trading. ENDS
>
> Still "winning" you Brextards ?

Why do you call yourself a Brextard, Brextard?

Re: Shimano’s cycling sales hit record high

<03ecf5cf-c06e-4395-b709-00391b6c74f8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23284&group=uk.rec.cycling#23284

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 12:33:10 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 20:33 UTC

The shimano 105 'sucess' feels like theres more layers under the surface there. I expect the bulk of those orders are groupsets going onto new bikes, whether or not those bikes are actually selling at the new price points of '105 for ultegra money' is another thing entirely.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Shimano’s cycling sales hit record high