I request a weekend in Havana with Phil Silvers!

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: The London borough where more than 100 people died in a year due to air pollution but £12.50 could change that

SubjectAuthor
* The London borough where more than 100 people died iswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: The London borough where moreSpike
`- Re: The London borough where more than 100 people diswldx...@gmail.com

1
The London borough where more than 100 people died in a year due to air pollution but £12.50 could change that

<19ed4082-b60d-4c0c-bdcf-26750b5db9bcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23179&group=uk.rec.cycling#23179

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 21:41:00 -0800 (PST)
Subject: The_London_borough_where_more_than_100_people_died_i
n_a_year_due_to_air_pollution_but_£12.50_could_change_that
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 05:41 UTC

Harmful emissions have decreased in parts of Brent due to the Ultra Low Emissions Zone (ULEZ), according to a new report by City Hall and Transport for London (TfL). It comes after a 2019 Imperial College London study revealed more than 100 people died prematurely in the borough due to air pollution that year.

The report, which has been peer-reviewed by Dr Gary Fuller, an expert on urban pollution at Imperial College London, concluded that toxic pollutants have been reduced by nearly half in Central London since the introduction of ULEZ in 2019.

It also found that emissions have been reduced by 26per cent within the expanded ULEZ, which was implemented two years later.

Cabinet member for environment, infrastructure, and climate action, Cllr Krupa Sheth, said: "I welcome the findings of this report which clearly state how ULEZ is effective at reducing harmful particles which exacerbate health issues for residents of all ages.”

Dr Fuller said: “The central London ULEZ, and its extension to inner London, has brought about measurable and sustained improvements to air pollution from traffic.”

The ULEZ was expanded by several miles to include parts of the north and south circular roads in 2021. This meant parts of Brent, such as Queen’s Park, Willesden, Harlesden and Dollis Hill fell inside the zone.

Drivers across Brent will have to pay the £12.50 a day charge if their cars aren’t compliant from August 2023 when the whole borough will be included within ULEZ. Petrol cars registered before 2005 and diesel cars registered before 2015, will be subject to the daily charge.

Cllr Sheth said: "Making small changes to how we travel can have a real impact, we all need to do our bit. In Brent, we are proud to support initiatives that improve air quality, whether it be our schools streets programmes, tree planting initiatives or cargo bike schemes - and that is why we are pleased to see another initiative that will get residents breathing again."

The leader of Brent Council, Cllr Muhammed Butt, said: "One death in our borough due to toxic air is a tragedy. When you take into account the 149 premature deaths that we have in Brent due to bad air, you can only come to the conclusion that bold action needs to be taken.”

He added: "While 80pc of vehicles are already compliant, some residents who are reliant on their vehicles may be unable to afford a cleaner vehicle. We hope the scrappage scheme targets those most affected and that existing scheme discounts, exemptions and reimbursements continue to support those least able to afford the daily charge."

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan, who is spending £160m on the expansion and £110m on a vehicle scrappage scheme, has come under fire from some London councils over the scheme but says it is vital to prevent premature death and disease caused by air pollutants.

A spokesperson for the Mayor of London, said: “Around 4,000 deaths in London were attributed to air pollution in 2019. Sadiq [Khan] refuses to sit back and do nothing when lives are being lost and urges these local authorities to support his plans to bring cleaner air to every Londoner – wherever they live in the capital.”

https://www.mylondon.news/news/north-london-news/over-100-people-died-year-26229151

Re: The London borough where more than 100 people died i n a year due to air pollution but £12.50 could change that

<k590b5F9jacU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23190&group=uk.rec.cycling#23190

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: The London borough where more
Date: 17 Feb 2023 09:39:50 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 09:39 UTC

https://air.plumelabs.com/learn/en/indoor-outdoor-pollution

These indoor spaces are often found to be contaminated by many pollutants,
and studies even show that indoor air pollution is up to 8 times greater
than that of outdoor air.

Why is indoor air quality important? We spend, on average, 80 to 90% of our
time inside!

So, although ignored for a long time, the question of indoor air quality
has become one of the main environmental public health issues all over the
world.

--
Spike

Re: The London borough where more than 100 people died in a year due to air pollution but £12.50 could change that

<b01d7f2f-d6e2-4344-a957-f06b80409da7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23193&group=uk.rec.cycling#23193

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 02:45:50 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re:_The_London_borough_where_more_than_100_people_di
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 10:45 UTC

There’s a new incinerator in Beddington. I saw it spewing out plumes of smoke ( from ikea ) the other day . Burning rubbish ……..BUT ULEZ is coming here.