May be too intense for some viewers.

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Re: Pea seeds vs marrow fat dried peas from Bachelors'

SubjectAuthor
* Pea seeds vs marrow fat dried peas from Bachelors'David
+- Re: Pea seeds vs marrow fat dried peas from Bachelors'R. Daneel Olivaw
+* Re: Pea seeds vs marrow fat dried peas from Bachelors'RustyHinge
|`- Re: Pea seeds vs marrow fat dried peas from Bachelors'David
`* Re: Pea seeds vs marrow fat dried peas from Bachelors'N_Cook
 `* Re: Pea seeds vs marrow fat dried peas from Bachelors'David
  `* Re: Pea seeds vs marrow fat dried peas from Bachelors'N_Cook
   `- Re: Pea seeds vs marrow fat dried peas from Bachelors'RustyHinge

1
Pea seeds vs marrow fat dried peas from Bachelors'

<k6h27mFkbs4U9@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2315&group=uk.rec.gardening#2315

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Pea seeds vs marrow fat dried peas from Bachelors'
Date: 4 Mar 2023 14:17:26 GMT
 by: David - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 14:17 UTC

We saw an article on Twitter about sprouting Bachelors' Bigga dried
marrowfat peas to produce pea shoots.

These peas are around £0.90p for 250 grams.

Online sources suggest that dried marrowfat peas are just maincrop peas
picked after ripening, instead of picked early as garden peas.

I realise the attraction of named varieties of seed, but is it reasonable
to grow peas from dried grocery?

Has anyone tried this?

We are at the moment just contemplating sprouting so the dried peas are
much more cost effective than named seed.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Pea seeds vs marrow fat dried peas from Bachelors'

<abm60idcfb9uojjnlasp51u38775o1dogt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2316&group=uk.rec.gardening#2316

From: olivawas...@gmail.com (R. Daneel Olivaw)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 09:47:10 -0500
 by: R. Daneel Olivaw - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 14:47 UTC

On 4 Mar 2023 14:17:26 GMT, David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:

>I realise the attraction of named varieties of seed, but is it reasonable
>to grow peas from dried grocery?
>
>Has anyone tried this?

I've had good luck making lentil sprouts from grocery lentils; the
only concern is how old the stock is. Hey, get some dried peas, test
a few and if they sprout poorly, make soup!

Re: Pea seeds vs marrow fat dried peas from Bachelors'

<ttvmcb$10e30$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2317&group=uk.rec.gardening#2317

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 14:59:23 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 14:59 UTC

On 04/03/2023 14:17, David wrote:
> We saw an article on Twitter about sprouting Bachelors' Bigga dried
> marrowfat peas to produce pea shoots.
>
> These peas are around £0.90p for 250 grams.
>
> Online sources suggest that dried marrowfat peas are just maincrop peas
> picked after ripening, instead of picked early as garden peas.
>
> I realise the attraction of named varieties of seed, but is it reasonable
> to grow peas from dried grocery?
>
> Has anyone tried this?
>
> We are at the moment just contemplating sprouting so the dried peas are
> much more cost effective than named seed.

They *are* named seed - 'Marrowfat'.

Gardeners have used such since time immemorial.

Some should be avoided - if you want the herb coriander, for example.
Coriander seed will be better for plants with a good prospect of getting
coriander seed, not so much the foliage, likewise celery seed. But
basically, any unprocessed 'grocery' seeds should produce a crop of some
kind.

If you want high-yielding crops rather than exhibition potential, you
can rarely do better than to take seed from maincrop plants - peppers,
tomatoes, etc. But don't rely on them to be identical to the original
plant, it might be an hybrid, F1, etc, but you *should* get something
worthwhile.

I had on my windowsill a fine crop of rather small red peppers last
year, grown from a 'volunteer' seedling from one spilt seed from a salad
pepper. Bonus, few pollinators and the peppers had very few seeds in.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Pea seeds vs marrow fat dried peas from Bachelors'

<k6hcuvFkbs4U13@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2318&group=uk.rec.gardening#2318

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: 4 Mar 2023 17:20:31 GMT
 by: David - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 17:20 UTC

On Sat, 04 Mar 2023 14:59:23 +0000, RustyHinge wrote:

> On 04/03/2023 14:17, David wrote:
>> We saw an article on Twitter about sprouting Bachelors' Bigga dried
>> marrowfat peas to produce pea shoots.
<snip>

> They *are* named seed - 'Marrowfat'.
>
> Gardeners have used such since time immemorial.
> <snip>

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marrowfat_peas>

This alleges that they aren't a specific variety, but just main crop peas
which have been allowed to grow fully then dried.

"Its name 'marrowfat' was coined around 1730 from marrow and fat.[5][6]
Another source says the peas were named because people wanted plump (fat)
peas of the Maro variety, a Japanese variety introduced to the UK in the
early 20th century.[7][8]"

So as always, perhaps yes, perhaps no.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Pea seeds vs marrow fat dried peas from Bachelors'

<tu0cv5$12kvo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2319&group=uk.rec.gardening#2319

From: dive...@tcp.co.uk (N_Cook)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 21:25:10 +0000
 by: N_Cook - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 21:25 UTC

On 04/03/2023 14:17, David wrote:
> We saw an article on Twitter about sprouting Bachelors' Bigga dried
> marrowfat peas to produce pea shoots.
>
> These peas are around £0.90p for 250 grams.
>
> Online sources suggest that dried marrowfat peas are just maincrop peas
> picked after ripening, instead of picked early as garden peas.
>
> I realise the attraction of named varieties of seed, but is it reasonable
> to grow peas from dried grocery?
>
> Has anyone tried this?
>
> We are at the moment just contemplating sprouting so the dried peas are
> much more cost effective than named seed.
>

> Cheers
>

> Dave R

Don't be surprised if the crop of peas is almost as dry as the original
seed peas, they naturally choose a variety that requires the least
drying before sale to grocers

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
<http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm>

Re: Pea seeds vs marrow fat dried peas from Bachelors'

<k6jpikFkbs4U21@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2320&group=uk.rec.gardening#2320

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: 5 Mar 2023 15:08:04 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 15:08 UTC

On Sat, 04 Mar 2023 21:25:10 +0000, N_Cook wrote:

> On 04/03/2023 14:17, David wrote:
>> We saw an article on Twitter about sprouting Bachelors' Bigga dried
>> marrowfat peas to produce pea shoots.
>>
>> These peas are around £0.90p for 250 grams.
>>
>> Online sources suggest that dried marrowfat peas are just maincrop peas
>> picked after ripening, instead of picked early as garden peas.
>>
>> I realise the attraction of named varieties of seed, but is it
>> reasonable to grow peas from dried grocery?
>>
>> Has anyone tried this?
>>
>> We are at the moment just contemplating sprouting so the dried peas are
>> much more cost effective than named seed.
>>

>> Cheers
>>

>> Dave R
>>

> Don't be surprised if the crop of peas is almost as dry as the original
> seed peas, they naturally choose a variety that requires the least
> drying before sale to grocers

However if we are growing for pea shoots we will never get to a full crop.

Point taken about using them for main crop peas.

Re: Pea seeds vs marrow fat dried peas from Bachelors'

<tu2i0e$1d31g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2321&group=uk.rec.gardening#2321

From: dive...@tcp.co.uk (N_Cook)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2023 17:03:26 +0000
 by: N_Cook - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 17:03 UTC

On 05/03/2023 15:08, David wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Mar 2023 21:25:10 +0000, N_Cook wrote:
>
>> On 04/03/2023 14:17, David wrote:
>>> We saw an article on Twitter about sprouting Bachelors' Bigga dried
>>> marrowfat peas to produce pea shoots.
>>>
>>> These peas are around £0.90p for 250 grams.
>>>
>>> Online sources suggest that dried marrowfat peas are just maincrop peas
>>> picked after ripening, instead of picked early as garden peas.
>>>
>>> I realise the attraction of named varieties of seed, but is it
>>> reasonable to grow peas from dried grocery?
>>>
>>> Has anyone tried this?
>>>
>>> We are at the moment just contemplating sprouting so the dried peas are
>>> much more cost effective than named seed.
>>>

>>> Cheers
>>>

>>> Dave R
>>>

>> Don't be surprised if the crop of peas is almost as dry as the original
>> seed peas, they naturally choose a variety that requires the least
>> drying before sale to grocers
>

> However if we are growing for pea shoots we will never get to a full crop.
>
> Point taken about using them for main crop peas.

Decades ago I knew someone who grew a load of plants from grocery dried
pies, cropped very well, but so dry next to inedible .

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
<http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm>

Re: Pea seeds vs marrow fat dried peas from Bachelors'

<tu2r90$1e22d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2322&group=uk.rec.gardening#2322

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 19:41:20 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 19:41 UTC

On 05/03/2023 17:03, N_Cook wrote:
> On 05/03/2023 15:08, David wrote:

>>> Don't be surprised if the crop of peas is almost as dry as the original
>>> seed peas, they naturally choose a variety that requires the least
>>> drying before sale to grocers
>>

>> However if we are growing for pea shoots we will never get to a full
>> crop.
>>
>> Point taken about using them for main crop peas.
>>

> Decades ago I knew someone who grew a load of plants from grocery dried
> pies, cropped very well, but so dry next to inedible .

I got a good crop of tartlets

--
Rusty Hinge