From: no...@way.uk (cd)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Toshiba DVR19DTKB2 DVB Tuning
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 11:24:04 +0100
 by: cd - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 10:24 UTC

Hello

I picked up a Toshiba DVR19DTKB2 at a car boot for all of £4. It's a
VHS/DVD Recorder with DVB-T.
All seems functional except when I did a DVB scan. I'm on Nottingham TX.
It skipped C21 as it isn't DVB-T2, 24 & 27 (PSB 2 & 3) scanned fine,
next up was 33 & it hung. Powered off & tried a manual tune on 36, this
scanned OK, back to 33, hangs. Same on 48.

As this box is of a certain vintage, could it be a compatibility issue?
I seem to remember a change happening that would affect early freeview
boxes to a certain extent.
Could this be the issue?

Thanks

Re: Toshiba DVR19DTKB2 DVB Tuning

<s9l082$361$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23246&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#23246

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Toshiba DVR19DTKB2 DVB Tuning
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 12:34:26 +0100
 by: Woody - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 11:34 UTC

On Mon 07/06/2021 11:24, cd wrote:
> Hello
>
> I picked up a Toshiba DVR19DTKB2 at a car boot for all of £4. It's a
> VHS/DVD Recorder with DVB-T.
> All seems functional except when I did a DVB scan. I'm on Nottingham TX.
> It skipped C21 as it isn't DVB-T2, 24 & 27 (PSB 2 & 3) scanned fine,
> next up was 33 & it hung. Powered off & tried a manual tune on 36, this
> scanned OK, back to 33, hangs. Same on 48.
>
> As this box is of a certain vintage, could it be a compatibility issue?
> I seem to remember a change happening that would affect early freeview
> boxes to a certain extent.
> Could this be the issue?
>
> Thanks

Possibly co-channel interference such that the unit cannot resolve the
COFDM? Try an attenuator in the aerial lead.

Re: Toshiba DVR19DTKB2 DVB Tuning

<s9l0i2$5v5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23247&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#23247

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 12:39:32 +0100
 by: NY - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 11:39 UTC

"Woody" <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Mon 07/06/2021 11:24, cd wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I picked up a Toshiba DVR19DTKB2 at a car boot for all of £4. It's a
>> VHS/DVD Recorder with DVB-T.
>> All seems functional except when I did a DVB scan. I'm on Nottingham TX.
>> It skipped C21 as it isn't DVB-T2, 24 & 27 (PSB 2 & 3) scanned fine, next
>> up was 33 & it hung. Powered off & tried a manual tune on 36, this
>> scanned OK, back to 33, hangs. Same on 48.
>>
>> As this box is of a certain vintage, could it be a compatibility issue?
>> I seem to remember a change happening that would affect early freeview
>> boxes to a certain extent.
>> Could this be the issue?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Possibly co-channel interference such that the unit cannot resolve the
> COFDM? Try an attenuator in the aerial lead.

Or might it be that the tuner is old enough that it doesn't support all the
FEC and QAM levels used by Freeview (the same as some of the earlier
OnDigital STBs)?

Re: Toshiba DVR19DTKB2 DVB Tuning

<s9l0ji$18l0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23248&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#23248

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 12:40:35 +0100
 by: SH - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 11:40 UTC

On 07/06/2021 11:24, cd wrote:
> Hello
>
> I picked up a Toshiba DVR19DTKB2 at a car boot for all of £4. It's a
> VHS/DVD Recorder with DVB-T.
> All seems functional except when I did a DVB scan. I'm on Nottingham TX.
> It skipped C21 as it isn't DVB-T2, 24 & 27 (PSB 2 & 3) scanned fine,
> next up was 33 & it hung. Powered off & tried a manual tune on 36, this
> scanned OK, back to 33, hangs. Same on 48.
>
> As this box is of a certain vintage, could it be a compatibility issue?
> I seem to remember a change happening that would affect early freeview
> boxes to a certain extent.
> Could this be the issue?
>
> Thanks

Ah. that might be the 167 kHz frequency offsets that affected some of my
boxes, a Sharp PVR on either Sandy Heath or Oxford and my gran's
Panasonic TV on Ridge Hill). A firmware update sorted the first out and
Panasonic sent me a USB memory stick to use on Gran's TV and the memory
stick was sent back to them by post.

Look at the postcode prediction website to see if frequency offsets of
167 kHz are used at Nottingham TX.

Anything earlier would be the switch from 2k mode to 8k mode but none of
the muxes in use now use 2k mode

ANother one is that chs 33, 36 and 48 are lower power than that for
ch's 21. 24 and 27.

Also another relay elsewhere may also be co-channel with chs 33, 36 and
48 from Notts thereby degrading your C/N or BER at the aerial

Re: Toshiba DVR19DTKB2 DVB Tuning

<s9n5ui$nt3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23269&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#23269

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 08:23:59 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Tue, 8 Jun 2021 07:23 UTC

My old Goodmans box is a little deaf but my new Samsung tv has the opposite
issue, If I shove it on an unidirectional aerial, I end up with loads of
duplicate channels and some of the main ones dropping out due to
interference, so my guess would be poor sensitivity, or some
incompatibility. Good luck with getting much from Toshiba about stuff that
old.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"SH" <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On 07/06/2021 11:24, cd wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I picked up a Toshiba DVR19DTKB2 at a car boot for all of �4. It's a
>> VHS/DVD Recorder with DVB-T.
>> All seems functional except when I did a DVB scan. I'm on Nottingham TX.
>> It skipped C21 as it isn't DVB-T2, 24 & 27 (PSB 2 & 3) scanned fine, next
>> up was 33 & it hung. Powered off & tried a manual tune on 36, this
>> scanned OK, back to 33, hangs. Same on 48.
>>
>> As this box is of a certain vintage, could it be a compatibility issue?
>> I seem to remember a change happening that would affect early freeview
>> boxes to a certain extent.
>> Could this be the issue?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Ah. that might be the 167 kHz frequency offsets that affected some of my
> boxes, a Sharp PVR on either Sandy Heath or Oxford and my gran's Panasonic
> TV on Ridge Hill). A firmware update sorted the first out and Panasonic
> sent me a USB memory stick to use on Gran's TV and the memory stick was
> sent back to them by post.
>
> Look at the postcode prediction website to see if frequency offsets of 167
> kHz are used at Nottingham TX.
>
> Anything earlier would be the switch from 2k mode to 8k mode but none of
> the muxes in use now use 2k mode
>
> ANother one is that chs 33, 36 and 48 are lower power than that for ch's
> 21. 24 and 27.
>
> Also another relay elsewhere may also be co-channel with chs 33, 36 and 48
> from Notts thereby degrading your C/N or BER at the aerial

Re: Toshiba DVR19DTKB2 DVB Tuning

<s9o37v$bf1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23295&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#23295

From: no...@way.uk (cd)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 16:43:58 +0100
 by: cd - Tue, 8 Jun 2021 15:43 UTC

I have some PC TV tuners and looked at those, signal quality was showing
quite low, it has been higher, so maybe a sensitivity issue.
I'm going to work on the basis that tuning works, I'm only testing the
unit prior to flipping it on eBay.

Cheers