Anything anybody can say about America is true. -- Emmett Grogan

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / 80 year old time triallist is one tough nut

SubjectAuthor
* 80 year old time triallist is one tough nutswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: 80 year old time triallist is one tough nutJNugent
+* Re: 80 year old time triallist is one tough nutswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: 80 year old time triallist is one tough nutSpike
|`- Re: 80 year old time triallist is one tough nutJNugent
+* Re: 80 year old time triallist is one tough nutswldx...@gmail.com
|`* Re: 80 year old time triallist is one tough nutSpike
| `- Re: 80 year old time triallist is one tough nutJNugent
`- Re: 80 year old time triallist is one tough nutswldx...@gmail.com

1
80 year old time triallist is one tough nut

<25f5dd09-426a-4d37-9c49-19505a58a506n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23287&group=uk.rec.cycling#23287

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 12:43:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: 80 year old time triallist is one tough nut
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 20:43 UTC

A Scots cyclist who fractured his spine after hitting a pothole on his bicycle has sued South Lanarkshire Council.

John 'Jocky' Johnstone, 80, from Crossford in North Lanarkshire was cycling with his friends Al and Jim on Edinburgh Road near the Pentland Hills, heading to a local bakery when he struck a hole and went over the handlebars of his bike in April, 2021.

The cycling scene legend fractured his spine and face and spent 10 days in the University of Wishaw Hospital after being rushed there by ambulance. He had to wear a spinal brace for three months.

Jocky told the Record: "I can't remember the accident. I woke up in the hospital surrounded by doctors.

"My cycling pals said I was lying on the ground gargling and they didn't think I would make it. The paramedics worked on me on the ground for an hour before I was taken to hospital.

"I fractured my spine, broke my jaw and my nose and I needed 27 stitches on my forehead - I looked crazy!

"I was on my feet within six days and managed to get home a few days later."

He continued: "I started working out in my shed doing pull ups and within five months I was back on my bike.

"I've got a curve on my back and I do suffer jaw pain at night."

Jocky's daughter Jacqueline, 59, contacted law firm Cycle Law Scotland to and asked them to investigate the crash.

The firm discovered that numerous complaints about potholes in that area had been made to South Lanarkshire Council as far back as 2018, after a freedom of information request.

The council was found to have carried out temporary repairs at the site, but these had consistently failed.

Jocky took the council to court over his injuries, with his lawyers claiming it was "sheer luck" that the pensioner wasn't killed in the accident.

South Lanarkshire Council agreed to a settlement figure to cover Jocky's injuries and losses almost two years on from the crash.

Jocky added: "The money covered my legal fees and left me with more than a fair amount as means of compensation.

"I eat well and live life well so just getting out again and meeting new people again makes me happy."

Roz Boynton, associate solicitor at Cycle Law Scotland said: “Whilst Jocky’s injuries were bad enough, it was by sheer luck that there had not been a fatality on the road as could so easily have been the case.

"Jocky battled through his injuries and rehabilitation to get back on the bike has been humbling. I think we could all do with being a bit more Jocky.”

A spokesperson for South Lanarkshire Council said: “The council wishes Mr Johnstone the very best for his recovery.

“We have a good record of inspecting and maintaining the 1500 miles of roads that we are responsible for, many of which are in rural and remote areas. We have prioritised investment in this area in recent years and attend to repairs with the resources we have available.

“In the case of this particular stretch of road, we have carried out work to improve the road condition twice in the last year alone.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-cyclist-sues-council-after-29231458

Re: 80 year old time triallist is one tough nut

<k5ampdFhl4cU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23291&group=uk.rec.cycling#23291

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: 80 year old time triallist is one tough nut
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 01:09:01 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 01:09 UTC

> A Scots cyclist who fractured his spine after hitting a pothole on his bicycle has sued South Lanarkshire Council.
>
> John 'Jocky' Johnstone, 80, from Crossford in North Lanarkshire was cycling with his friends Al and Jim on Edinburgh Road near the Pentland Hills, heading to a local bakery when he struck a hole and went over the handlebars of his bike in April, 2021.

Don't be ridiculous.

We are all well aware that that's impossible.

An old wives' tale at best.

Fairy-cyclists NEVER go over the handlebars. The serried ranks of
physics experts at uk.r.c have assured us of that.

> The cycling scene legend fractured his spine and face and spent 10 days in the University of Wishaw Hospital after being rushed there by ambulance. He had to wear a spinal brace for three months.

Sorry to hear it. Perhaps he'd been reading this NG a few years ago and
had taken the amateur assurances of some at face value?

> Jocky told the Record: "I can't remember the accident. I woke up in the hospital surrounded by doctors.>
> "My cycling pals said I was lying on the ground gargling and they didn't think I would make it. The paramedics worked on me on the ground for an hour before I was taken to hospital.
> "I fractured my spine, broke my jaw and my nose and I needed 27 stitches on my forehead - I looked crazy!
> "I was on my feet within six days and managed to get home a few days later."
> He continued: "I started working out in my shed doing pull ups and within five months I was back on my bike.
> "I've got a curve on my back and I do suffer jaw pain at night."
> Jocky's daughter Jacqueline, 59, contacted law firm Cycle Law Scotland to and asked them to investigate the crash.
> The firm discovered that numerous complaints about potholes in that area had been made to South Lanarkshire Council as far back as 2018, after a freedom of information request.
> The council was found to have carried out temporary repairs at the site, but these had consistently failed.
> Jocky took the council to court over his injuries, with his lawyers claiming it was "sheer luck" that the pensioner wasn't killed in the accident.
> South Lanarkshire Council agreed to a settlement figure to cover Jocky's injuries and losses almost two years on from the crash.
> Jocky added: "The money covered my legal fees and left me with more than a fair amount as means of compensation.
> "I eat well and live life well so just getting out again and meeting new people again makes me happy."
> Roz Boynton, associate solicitor at Cycle Law Scotland said: “Whilst Jocky’s injuries were bad enough, it was by sheer luck that there had not been a fatality on the road as could so easily have been the case.
> "Jocky battled through his injuries and rehabilitation to get back on the bike has been humbling. I think we could all do with being a bit more Jocky.”
> A spokesperson for South Lanarkshire Council said: “The council wishes Mr Johnstone the very best for his recovery.
> “We have a good record of inspecting and maintaining the 1500 miles of roads that we are responsible for, many of which are in rural and remote areas. We have prioritised investment in this area in recent years and attend to repairs with the resources we have available.
> “In the case of this particular stretch of road, we have carried out work to improve the road condition twice in the last year alone.”
>
> https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-cyclist-sues-council-after-29231458

Re: 80 year old time triallist is one tough nut

<7a1dd878-ad6a-4815-b566-11405a07a79dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23295&group=uk.rec.cycling#23295

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 20:50:48 -0800 (PST)
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 04:50 UTC

On Saturday, 18 February 2023 at 01:09:04 UTC, JNugent wrote:

> Fairy-cyclists live in NEVERLAND and commute to The Emerald City.

Re: 80 year old time triallist is one tough nut

<3f8ca35f-afda-4ca4-bb1d-580cf84f409cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23299&group=uk.rec.cycling#23299

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 21:59:00 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 05:59 UTC

This man is 80 years old!

https://i2-prod.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article29235026.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/1_unnamed-7.png

Imagine an 80 year old car driver.

Re: 80 year old time triallist is one tough nut

<k5biirFllmjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23304&group=uk.rec.cycling#23304

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 18 Feb 2023 09:03:23 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 09:03 UTC

> This man is 80 years old!

> https://i2-prod.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article29235026.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/1_unnamed-7.png

> Imagine an 80 year old car driver.

Try this one:

<https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/sports-columns/ron-kantowski/im-an-80-year-old-racecar-driver-with-a-story-to-tell/>

Or this one:

<https://www.thedrive.com/news/21972/80-year-old-woman-crosses-africa-in-20-year-old-corolla>

Seen enough? There’s plenty more…

--
Spike

Re: 80 year old time triallist is one tough nut

<d1f7b37e-0ffd-43de-9201-5bacd00ac0f0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23308&group=uk.rec.cycling#23308

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 03:08:13 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 11:08 UTC

QUOTE: South Lanarkshire Council agreed to a settlement figure to cover Jocky's injuries and losses almost two years on from the crash.

Jocky added: "The money covered my legal fees and left me with more than a fair amount as means of compensation. ENDS

Well done, Jocky - you are an inspiration to us all.

Re: 80 year old time triallist is one tough nut

<k5bs1aFn2lsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23311&group=uk.rec.cycling#23311

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 18 Feb 2023 11:44:43 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 11:44 UTC

> QUOTE: South Lanarkshire Council agreed to a settlement figure to cover
> Jocky's injuries and losses almost two years on from the crash.
>
> Jocky added: "The money covered my legal fees and left me with more than
> a fair amount as means of compensation. ENDS

> Well done, Jocky - you are an inspiration to us all.

Is Jocky such an inspiration? He managed to cycle into a pothole that was
large enough to throw him from his bicycle; didn’t he see it? Didn’t any of
the group he was bicycling with see it? Didn’t he try to swerve away from
it - one of the reasons that cyclists demand so much room on the road?

--
Spike

Re: 80 year old time triallist is one tough nut

<k5bsjkFn51cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23312&group=uk.rec.cycling#23312

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 11:54:28 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 11:54 UTC

On 18/02/2023 04:50 am, Mike Collins wrote:

> On Saturday, 18 February 2023 at 01:09:04 UTC, JNugent wrote:
>

>> Fairy-cyclists live in NEVERLAND and commute to The Emerald City.

As WELL as terrorising pedestrians all over the UK but especially in London?

They probably think it's an achievement.

If "think" could ever be the correct word, that is.

Re: 80 year old time triallist is one tough nut

<k5bsldFn51cU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23313&group=uk.rec.cycling#23313

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 11:55:25 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 11:55 UTC

On 18/02/2023 05:59 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> This man is 80 years old!
>
> https://i2-prod.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article29235026.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/1_unnamed-7.png
>
> Imagine an 80 year old car driver.

No need. I have a good friend who is a car-driver and well into his
nineties.

Of course, he's a decent human being. Not like you.

Re: 80 year old time triallist is one tough nut

<k5bsn2Fn51cU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23314&group=uk.rec.cycling#23314

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 11:56:18 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 11:56 UTC

On 18/02/2023 11:44 am, Spike wrote:
> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>> QUOTE: South Lanarkshire Council agreed to a settlement figure to cover
>> Jocky's injuries and losses almost two years on from the crash.
>>
>> Jocky added: "The money covered my legal fees and left me with more than
>> a fair amount as means of compensation. ENDS
>
>> Well done, Jocky - you are an inspiration to us all.
>
> Is Jocky such an inspiration? He managed to cycle into a pothole that was
> large enough to throw him from his bicycle;

Impossible. We've been told that - here - many times.

> didn’t he see it? Didn’t any of
> the group he was bicycling with see it? Didn’t he try to swerve away from
> it - one of the reasons that cyclists demand so much room on the road?

Re: 80 year old time triallist is one tough nut

<88ef018e-0958-4d86-81d5-e44032fbe827n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23317&group=uk.rec.cycling#23317

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 03:58:03 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 11:58 UTC

This is why it is your civic duty to report every pothole to both your local Council and local Councillor. Don't leave it to someone else.

Plus, if you inundate your Council and Councillor with actual work to do, they won't have time to do the silly stuff, just the core statutory work.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / 80 year old time triallist is one tough nut