aus+uk / aus.cars / A different sort of engine swap

SubjectAuthor
* A different sort of engine swapKeithr0
+* Re: A different sort of engine swapNoddy
|`- Re: A different sort of engine swapXeno
+* Re: A different sort of engine swapComputer Nerd Kev
|`- Re: A different sort of engine swapXeno
`* Re: A different sort of engine swapDaryl
 `* Re: A different sort of engine swapjonz@ nothere.com
  `- Re: A different sort of engine swapDaryl

1
A different sort of engine swap

<k5rlldF5i7lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23494&group=aus.cars#23494

From: nothing....@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: A different sort of engine swap
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 21:34:05 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Fri, 24 Feb 2023 11:34 UTC

https://www.retromotor.co.uk/features/steam-powered-land-rover/

--
Clocky on programming 18 Feb 2022
"What, you copy and paste code into a sketch in Arduino, select the

Clocky on NASA 18 Mar 2022
"Oh, and btw... if you worked for NASA how is it thay you are seemingly
oblivious to Commodore Amigas used at NASA"

Re: A different sort of engine swap

<ttaarv$271c9$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23500&group=aus.cars#23500

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: A different sort of engine swap
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 23:34:07 +1100
 by: Noddy - Fri, 24 Feb 2023 12:34 UTC

On 24/02/2023 10:34 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> https://www.retromotor.co.uk/features/steam-powered-land-rover/

Takes all kinds to make the world go around I suppose.

A strange twist of irony in this really. Steam powered cars existed in
the early part of the last century, but like battery powered cars that
also existed at the time they never took off because they were
considered impractical compared to petrol powered alternatives.

Move forward to today where steam and battery powered cars are *still*
impractical compared to petrol and diesel powered cars, but this steam
powered Landy could probably be fired from cold and build up enough
steam to drive to the local shop to buy a bottle of milk and a paper in
a quicker time than it would take to put enough charge into an electric
car with a flat battery to do the same thing :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: A different sort of engine swap

<k5rs4uF6n0sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23501&group=aus.cars#23501

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 00:24:45 +1100
 by: Xeno - Fri, 24 Feb 2023 13:24 UTC

On 24/2/2023 11:34 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 24/02/2023 10:34 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
>> https://www.retromotor.co.uk/features/steam-powered-land-rover/
>
> Takes all kinds to make the world go around I suppose.
>
> A strange twist of irony in this really. Steam powered cars existed in
> the early part of the last century, but like battery powered cars that
> also existed at the time they never took off because they were
> considered impractical compared to petrol powered alternatives.
>
> Move forward to today where steam and battery powered cars are *still*
> impractical compared to petrol and diesel powered cars, but this steam
> powered Landy could probably be fired from cold and build up enough
> steam to drive to the local shop to buy a bottle of milk and a paper in
> a quicker time than it would take to put enough charge into an electric
> car with a flat battery to do the same thing :)

Jesus wept, you really don't know a lot, do you. It's a *traction engine
boiler*. By the time you get the fire lit, and the boiler hot enough to
lift the boiler pressure gauge off zero, 2 - 2.5 hours will have passed.
Note, you *still* don't have enough steam pressure to do anything
useful. You can't rush heating up a boiler. When you get the fire going,
you are only heating up the firebox end initially, the front end of the
boiler getting minimal heat until some exhaust draught happens - and for
that you need pressure to run the steam engine and blast exhaust steam
up the funnel in order to create air flow through the boiler. Therefore,
because of the unequal heating of the boiler, you have to take it
slowly. As the boiler heats you will hear lots of clicking and cracking
sounds due to unequal thermal expansion and you need to keep these to a
minimum.

For the record, early steam cars tended to use *flash boilers* because
of this slow warm up.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: A different sort of engine swap

<63f95f8b@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23508&group=aus.cars#23508

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: 25 Feb 2023 11:08:28 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 01:08 UTC

There was an old VW van with a tray back converted to steam that
used to run around at the Lake Goldsmith steam rally (near
Ballarat, Vic). Not as ironic looking at that Land Rover, but it
could accelerate quickly up to a pretty decent speed and looked
like lots of fun.

Video here:
https://youtu.be/ZcQ8KFpIqew2nd

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: A different sort of engine swap

<k5t690Fdc2hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23509&group=aus.cars#23509

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 12:23:44 +1100
 by: Xeno - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 01:23 UTC

On 25/2/2023 12:08 pm, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> There was an old VW van with a tray back converted to steam that
> used to run around at the Lake Goldsmith steam rally (near
> Ballarat, Vic). Not as ironic looking at that Land Rover, but it
> could accelerate quickly up to a pretty decent speed and looked
> like lots of fun.
>
> Video here:
> https://youtu.be/ZcQ8KFpIqew2nd

Now *that* would have a flash boiler, quick to come up to steam
pressure, more efficient and way more convenient.

This, or similar, is the steam generator used in the Kombi. In fact the
entire engine of a Stanley Steamer is used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stanley_Steam_Car_1919_engine.jpg

Excerpted from;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Motor_Carriage_Company

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: A different sort of engine swap

<k5tg4qFen9mU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23512&group=aus.cars#23512

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 15:12:10 +1100
 by: Daryl - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 04:12 UTC

On 24/2/2023 10:34 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> https://www.retromotor.co.uk/features/steam-powered-land-rover/

Not exactly economical if it uses 45kg of coal per hour:-)

--
Daryl

Re: A different sort of engine swap

<12af1829-44b4-493a-8a5c-d2dd89483a4en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23513&group=aus.cars#23513

Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 21:25:04 -0800 (PST)
From: johnhhhi...@gmail.com (jonz@ nothere.com)
 by: jonz@ nothere.com - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 05:25 UTC

On Saturday, 25 February 2023 at 15:12:13 UTC+11, Daryl wrote:
> On 24/2/2023 10:34 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> > https://www.retromotor.co.uk/features/steam-powered-land-rover/
> >
> Not exactly economical if it uses 45kg of coal per hour:-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
No, and as a long time owner of series Landys, they are slow enough already. But 15mph is really OTT. :)
He mentioned it dosn`t like hills, novelty value only. :)))
However, saying landies are slow (on the road) does not detract from the fact that they are *definitely* fit for purpose..

> --
> Daryl

Re: A different sort of engine swap

<k5tuo0FgqbiU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23518&group=aus.cars#23518

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 19:21:20 +1100
 by: Daryl - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 08:21 UTC

On 25/2/2023 4:25 pm, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:
> On Saturday, 25 February 2023 at 15:12:13 UTC+11, Daryl wrote:
>> On 24/2/2023 10:34 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
>>> https://www.retromotor.co.uk/features/steam-powered-land-rover/
>>>
>> Not exactly economical if it uses 45kg of coal per hour:-)
> No, and as a long time owner of series Landys, they are slow enough already. But 15mph is really OTT. :)
> He mentioned it dosn`t like hills, novelty value only. :)))
> However, saying landies are slow (on the road) does not detract from the fact that they are *definitely* fit for purpose..

Very good off road same as the 1979 BJ40 LC I used to own, not really a
good road car, handled terrible with crap brakes but in the rough stuff
it was excellent.
My diesel had 68hp so also slow as a wet weekend.

--
Daryl