Let's all show human CONCERN for REVERAND MOON's legal difficulties!!

aus+uk / aus.computers / why Huawei cannot be trusted, the ban was sound policy

SubjectAuthor
* why Huawei cannot be trusted, the ban was sound policyAgent Smith
`* Re: why Huawei cannot be trusted, the ban was sound policyComputer Nerd Kev
 `* Re: why Huawei cannot be trusted, the ban was sound policyRod Speed
  `* Re: why Huawei cannot be trusted, the ban was sound policyComputer Nerd Kev
   `* Re: why Huawei cannot be trusted, the ban was sound policyRod Speed
    `* Re: why Huawei cannot be trusted, the ban was sound policyComputer Nerd Kev
     `* Re: why Huawei cannot be trusted, the ban was sound policyRod Speed
      +* Re: why Huawei cannot be trusted, the ban was sound policyThe Mountain Magpie
      |`- Re: why Huawei cannot be trusted, the ban was sound policyRod Speed
      `- Re: why Huawei cannot be trusted, the ban was sound policyfact check

1
why Huawei cannot be trusted, the ban was sound policy

<sq8umf$1ari$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2353&group=aus.computers#2353

From: hog...@slack.gov (Agent Smith)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: why Huawei cannot be trusted, the ban was sound policy
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 13:30:55 +0800
 by: Agent Smith - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 05:30 UTC

https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/networks/chinese-spies-accused-using-huawei-secret-australia-telecom-hack

Re: why Huawei cannot be trusted, the ban was sound policy

<sqaqut$17ck$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2354&group=aus.computers#2354

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 22:39:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 22:39 UTC

Agent Smith <hogboy@slack.gov> wrote:
> https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/networks/chinese-spies-accused-using-huawei-secret-australia-telecom-hack

Yes, quite interesting. The ban on Huawei 5G network infrastructure
equipment only covers one side of the attack surface though. The
obvious other side is all the phones and modems made by Huawei and
other Chinese-owned businesses which are vulnerable in the same way
(if not more so due to more automated software update processes for
phones).

Not that I'd advocate banning their sale, but publicising this
known attack publicly in 2012 would have better informed the
decisions of users when selecting a device. Including government
departments and employees.

Instead Chinese-owned companies have become much more dominant in
the consumer market, and seemingly the only option for some devices
like mobile broadband modems.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: why Huawei cannot be trusted, the ban was sound policy

<j2sedkFget7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2355&group=aus.computers#2355

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 11:07:13 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 00:07 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
> Agent Smith <hogboy@slack.gov> wrote

>> https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/networks/chinese-spies-accused-using-huawei-secret-australia-telecom-hack
>
> Yes, quite interesting. The ban on Huawei 5G network infrastructure
> equipment only covers one side of the attack surface though. The
> obvious other side is all the phones and modems made by Huawei and
> other Chinese-owned businesses which are vulnerable in the same way
> (if not more so due to more automated software update processes for
> phones).
>
> Not that I'd advocate banning their sale, but publicising this
> known attack publicly in 2012 would have better informed the
> decisions of users when selecting a device. Including government
> departments and employees.
>
> Instead Chinese-owned companies have become much more dominant in
> the consumer market, and seemingly the only option for some devices
> like mobile broadband modems.

That last is bullshit.

Re: why Huawei cannot be trusted, the ban was sound policy

<sqbppg$2ln$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2356&group=aus.computers#2356

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 07:25:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 07:25 UTC

Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
>>
>> Instead Chinese-owned companies have become much more dominant in
>> the consumer market, and seemingly the only option for some devices
>> like mobile broadband modems.
>
> That last is bullshit.

I was looking for 4G USB mobile broadband modems a couple of years
ago and the only ones I could find available in Australia were from
Chinese-owned companies, at least those compatible with Telstra. I
bought an old model from Sierra Wireless 2nd hand in the end.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: why Huawei cannot be trusted, the ban was sound policy

<j2td26Fls9dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2358&group=aus.computers#2358

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 19:50:09 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 08:50 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote

>>> Instead Chinese-owned companies have become much more
>>> dominant in the consumer market, and seemingly the only
>>> option for some devices like mobile broadband modems.

>> That last is bullshit.

> I was looking for 4G USB mobile broadband modems a couple of years
> ago and the only ones I could find available in Australia were from
> Chinese-owned companies, at least those compatible with Telstra.

It wasn’t true then and isnt true now.

> I bought an old model from Sierra Wireless 2nd hand in the end.

Re: why Huawei cannot be trusted, the ban was sound policy

<sqd9ul$1d5c$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2359&group=aus.computers#2359

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 21:07:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 21:07 UTC

Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote

>>> That last is bullshit.
>
>> I was looking for 4G USB mobile broadband modems a couple of years
>> ago and the only ones I could find available in Australia were from
>> Chinese-owned companies, at least those compatible with Telstra.
>
> It wasn't true then and isnt true now.

Well don't be shy, show me a model number!

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: why Huawei cannot be trusted, the ban was sound policy

<j2uqufFufidU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2360&group=aus.computers#2360

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 08:53:16 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 21:53 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote

>>> I was looking for 4G USB mobile broadband modems a couple of years
>>> ago and the only ones I could find available in Australia were from
>>> Chinese-owned companies, at least those compatible with Telstra.
>>
>> It wasn't true then and isnt true now.
>
> Well don't be shy, show me a model number!

Cant be bothered. I did research it for a mate who was having a very
long delay getting the fiber NBN installed at his newly built house
in a massive great new subdivision but it got installed before he bought
one to use until it got installed and I didn’t keep the list I made then.

Re: why Huawei cannot be trusted, the ban was sound policy

<j2vc27F2ulsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2361&group=aus.computers#2361

From: no.wogs....@katoomba.com (The Mountain Magpie)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 02:45:26 -0000
 by: The Mountain Magpie - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 02:45 UTC

On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 08:53:16 +1100, Rod Speed posted:-

> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
> > Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
> >> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote

> >> It wasn't true then and isnt true now.
> >
> > Well don't be shy, show me a model number!
>
> Cant be bothered. I did research it for a mate who was having a very
> long delay getting the fiber NBN installed at his newly built house
> in a massive great new subdivision but it got installed before he
> bought one to use until it got installed and I didn’t keep the list I
> made then.

Self flagellate Roddles, for destroying it.

Re: why Huawei cannot be trusted, the ban was sound policy

<7r2lsg5tn651cn9e0jlth47l46de7inv8u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2362&group=aus.computers#2362

From: fact_ch...@iinet.com.au
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 14:01:45 +1000
 by: fact_ch...@iinet.com.au - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 04:01 UTC

On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 08:53:16 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote

>>> It wasn't true then and isnt true now.
>>
>> Well don't be shy, show me a model number!
>
>Cant be bothered. I did research it for a mate who was having a very
>long delay getting the fiber NBN installed at his newly built house
>in a massive great new subdivision but it got installed before he bought
>one to use until it got installed and I didn’t keep the list I made then.

Roddles exposed again as a liar, inventing more lies to hide his
dishonesty. When will he learn.

Re: why Huawei cannot be trusted, the ban was sound policy

<j2vfknF3jp2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2363&group=aus.computers#2363

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 14:46:27 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 03:46 UTC

The Mountain Magpie <no.wogs.here@katoomba.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
>> > Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote

>> > Well don't be shy, show me a model number!
>>
>> Cant be bothered. I did research it for a mate who was having a very
>> long delay getting the fiber NBN installed at his newly built house
>> in a massive great new subdivision but it got installed before he
>> bought one to use until it got installed and I didn’t keep the list I
>> made then.

> Self flagellate

I leave that for dead ducks.

> Roddles, for destroying it.

I didn’t, It was a series of shares of particular items on offer.