24 Apr, 2024: Testing a new version of the Overboard here. If you have an issue post about it to rocksolid.nodes.help (I know. Everyone on Usenet has issues)

aus+uk / uk.railway / Not very cuddly, Dudley.

SubjectAuthor
* Not very cuddly, Dudley.Roland Perry
+* Not very cuddly, Dudley.Marland
|+- Not very cuddly, Dudley.Recliner
|`* Not very cuddly, Dudley.Mike Humphrey
| `- Not very cuddly, Dudley.martin.coffee
`* Not very cuddly, Dudley.Jeremy Double
 `- Not very cuddly, Dudley.Lew 1

1
Not very cuddly, Dudley.

<5UVZmeHS6IDiFAc5@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23543&group=uk.railway#23543

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Not very cuddly, Dudley.
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 05:41:38 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 05:41 UTC

Scotrail, 8.30pm Tuesday.

"As a safety precaution, our services will cease to run from tomorrow
(16 February) afternoon. Services will wind** down by 4pm, when the
worst of Storm Dudley's strong winds and heavy rain are set to hit
Scotland.

ScotRail services on the Far North, Kyle of Lochalsh, and
Aberdeen-Inverness lines will continue to run. Some cross-border
services will operate too, but at reduced speeds."

** And be reigned in?
--
Roland Perry

Re: Not very cuddly, Dudley.

<j73s7hFt281U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23556&group=uk.railway#23556

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Not very cuddly, Dudley.
Date: 16 Feb 2022 08:50:57 GMT
 by: Marland - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 08:50 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> Scotrail, 8.30pm Tuesday.
>
> "As a safety precaution, our services will cease to run from tomorrow
> (16 February) afternoon. Services will wind** down by 4pm, when the
> worst of Storm Dudley's strong winds and heavy rain are set to hit
> Scotland.

Has the following storm been named yet?
I was sort of hoping it would be Wolverhampton, the products of W+D much
sampled on narrowboat holidays around the Midlands certainly created some
strong winds.

GH

Re: Not very cuddly, Dudley.

<suihff$ulg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23561&group=uk.railway#23561

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 09:51:43 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:OAopQ7octMniXOciCOQdZ9KwEoU=
 by: Recliner - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 09:51 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> Scotrail, 8.30pm Tuesday.
>>
>> "As a safety precaution, our services will cease to run from tomorrow
>> (16 February) afternoon. Services will wind** down by 4pm, when the
>> worst of Storm Dudley's strong winds and heavy rain are set to hit
>> Scotland.
>>

> Has the following storm been named yet?
> I was sort of hoping it would be Wolverhampton, the products of W+D much
> sampled on narrowboat holidays around the Midlands certainly created some
> strong winds.

Storm Eunice (obviously it had to start with an E).

Re: Not very cuddly, Dudley.

<suismp$qka$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23589&group=uk.railway#23589

From: mai...@michaelhumphrey.me.uk (Mike Humphrey)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 13:03:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Humphrey - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 13:03 UTC

On Wed, 16 Feb 2022 08:50:57 +0000, Marland wrote:
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> Scotrail, 8.30pm Tuesday.
>> "As a safety precaution, our services will cease to run from tomorrow
>> (16 February) afternoon. Services will wind** down by 4pm, when the
>> worst of Storm Dudley's strong winds and heavy rain are set to hit
>> Scotland.
>>

> Has the following storm been named yet?

Yes, the whole alphabet is planned out. Storm Eunice is supposed to be
arriving on Friday - getting fed up of storms arriving in pairs!

Franklin, Gladys and Herman may or may not arrive later in the year. If
it's an exceptionally stormy year and we make it all the way to W (hope
not!) it will be Willemien not Wolverhampton.

> I was sort of hoping it would be Wolverhampton, the products of W+D much
> sampled on narrowboat holidays around the Midlands certainly created
> some strong winds.

W&D is called Marstons these days. Originally a completely different
brewery that W&D took over, but they renamed the company after it -
having renamed from Banks' to W&D on a previous merger. Despite all the
renaming, they're still brewing Banks' in Wolverhampton.

Mike

Re: Not very cuddly, Dudley.

<suj796$r50$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23609&group=uk.railway#23609

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 16:03:50 +0000
 by: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 16:03 UTC

On 16/02/2022 13:03, Mike Humphrey wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2022 08:50:57 +0000, Marland wrote:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Scotrail, 8.30pm Tuesday.
>>> "As a safety precaution, our services will cease to run from tomorrow
>>> (16 February) afternoon. Services will wind** down by 4pm, when the
>>> worst of Storm Dudley's strong winds and heavy rain are set to hit
>>> Scotland.
>>>

>> Has the following storm been named yet?
>
> Yes, the whole alphabet is planned out. Storm Eunice is supposed to be
> arriving on Friday - getting fed up of storms arriving in pairs!
>
> Franklin, Gladys and Herman may or may not arrive later in the year. If
> it's an exceptionally stormy year and we make it all the way to W (hope
> not!) it will be Willemien not Wolverhampton.
It also depends on who names the storms so they can come out of order!

>> I was sort of hoping it would be Wolverhampton, the products of W+D much
>> sampled on narrowboat holidays around the Midlands certainly created
>> some strong winds.
>
> W&D is called Marstons these days. Originally a completely different
> brewery that W&D took over, but they renamed the company after it -
> having renamed from Banks' to W&D on a previous merger. Despite all the
> renaming, they're still brewing Banks' in Wolverhampton.
>
> Mike

Re: Not very cuddly, Dudley.

<931925280.666735738.931051.jmd.nospam-btinternet.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23635&group=uk.railway#23635

From: jmd.nos...@btinternet.com (Jeremy Double)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 16 Feb 2022 20:32:18 GMT
 by: Jeremy Double - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 20:32 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> Scotrail, 8.30pm Tuesday.
>
> "As a safety precaution, our services will cease to run from tomorrow
> (16 February) afternoon. Services will wind** down by 4pm, when the
> worst of Storm Dudley's strong winds and heavy rain are set to hit
> Scotland.
>
> ScotRail services on the Far North, Kyle of Lochalsh, and
> Aberdeen-Inverness lines will continue to run. Some cross-border
> services will operate too, but at reduced speeds."
>
> ** And be reigned in?

Well, there’s quite a lot of chaos in West Yorkshire. London trains were
disrupted due to overhead wire problems at Wakefield this morning. My
TransPennine train from Leeds to Huddersfield was formed of only three
coaches, which is not good when they’re only running two trains an hour in
the morning peak.

This evening there are no trains along the Aire Valley line due to an
unscheduled conjunction of a tree and the overhead wires at Keighley. Lots
of trains were delayed or cancelled in all directions from Leeds this
evening. I waited at Leeds for an hour for a Bradford Forster Square train
to Shipley, and then abandoned the railway for a bus alternative from
there.

Quite a few trains today were delayed or cancelled by a shortage of
drivers, both on Northern and TransPennine.

--
Jeremy Double

Re: Not very cuddly, Dudley.

<1537901868.666740726.003895.email-nowhere.com@web.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23639&group=uk.railway#23639

From: ema...@nowhere.com (Lew 1)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 21:46:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lew 1 - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 21:46 UTC

Jeremy Double <jmd.nospam@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> Scotrail, 8.30pm Tuesday.
>>
>> "As a safety precaution, our services will cease to run from tomorrow
>> (16 February) afternoon. Services will wind** down by 4pm, when the
>> worst of Storm Dudley's strong winds and heavy rain are set to hit
>> Scotland.
>>
>> ScotRail services on the Far North, Kyle of Lochalsh, and
>> Aberdeen-Inverness lines will continue to run. Some cross-border
>> services will operate too, but at reduced speeds."
>>
>> ** And be reigned in?
>
> Well, there’s quite a lot of chaos in West Yorkshire. London trains were
> disrupted due to overhead wire problems at Wakefield this morning. My
> TransPennine train from Leeds to Huddersfield was formed of only three
> coaches, which is not good when they’re only running two trains an hour in
> the morning peak.
>
> This evening there are no trains along the Aire Valley line due to an
> unscheduled conjunction of a tree and the overhead wires at Keighley. Lots
> of trains were delayed or cancelled in all directions from Leeds this
> evening. I waited at Leeds for an hour for a Bradford Forster Square train
> to Shipley, and then abandoned the railway for a bus alternative from
> there.
>
> Quite a few trains today were delayed or cancelled by a shortage of
> drivers, both on Northern and TransPennine.

No trains between St Pancras and Bedford due to power lines and trees
coming down at Luton and St Albans blocking all lines.