Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 09:18:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Surrey traffic cops tell driver spouting Highway Code whataboutery to
return licence
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 16:18 UTC

Surrey Police tell driver to return licence video (Twitter video screenshot)
15:45
Pacenti partners with Cornish UCI Continental team Saint Piran
2020 Pacenti Picco 46mm Disc Clincher Wheels 700C - set.jpg

Pacenti (link is external) has agreed a five-year deal to supply wheels to Saint Piran. The Devon-based wheel brand joked they'd have to avoid mentioning the cream teas but are happy to be supplying the UCI Continental team from Cornwall with their hoops for the foreseeable. The Tour of Britain is the next big goal on the team's radar and will give Pacenti the opportunity to see its wheels being raced against the big boys.

The team's star rider Steve Lampier took the brand's Picco wheels for a spin at the Tour Series recently and said: "I ran 60psi last night and they felt amazing, really great wheels."

"Until recently I would have said that we weren’t ready to support a team like Saint Piran. We wouldn’t want to let a team down, as we love cycling and cycle sport too much to allow ourselves to fail," Luke Humphreys, the brand's CEO explained in a refreshingly honest manner.

"Fortunately, Saint Piran use disc brake bikes, a basket in which we put our development eggs three or four years ago. We are delighted to build wheels for riders to race at such a high level. The feedback received from them so far gives credibility to our years of dedication and hard work.

"We have always worked on the key principles of building wheels that perform and are durable. We build wheels for riders because we are riders as well and we know what a good wheel feels and looks like. To attract a team like Saint Piran is the ultimate validation of the quality and performance of our product."

Steve Lampier's not the only one. Our tester Stu loved them too...check out his 9/10 review for the Pacenti Picco 46mm Disc Clincher Wheels here...
15:11
Ineos Grenadiers' Cameron Wurf shatters course record at Ironman Copenhagen

Obviously unsatisfied by the simplicity of racing your bicycle for a few hours, Ineos Grenadiers pro Cameron Wurf has been racing (and winning) an Ironman Traithlon. That includes: 2.4 mile swim, 112 miles on the bike topped off with a marathon run...Wurf clocked 7:46:05, just shy of a normal 9-5 office shift.

"I haven’t been in this much pain for a while, but the Danish crowd was amazing, it feels like the world is back to normality after the pandemic," a shattered Wurf said afterwards.
14:43
Peak cycling out of context
14:09
Ethan Hayter's stellar run continues with victory in Norway

Ethan Hayter followed up his Olympic silver medal in the Madison with two stages and the GC at the Tour of Norway. It takes his road race wins tally to six for the season. Add to that one youth classification, an overall win and an Olympic silver medal and you've got quite the season for most, let alone a prospect who only turned 22 last week. One to keep a close eye on...
13:45
Saddleless hero Chad Tavernia racks up more miles without his seatpost
Chad Tavernia no saddle (Image credit: Chad Tavernia/Strava)

Could you ride 100 miles out the saddle? Chad Tavernia can, and he's doing it again to prove it. Chad's lined up a December date on Zwift to silence the noise once and for all. He was out yesterday on a comparatively short 39..62km spin without his seatpost, but all while still maintaining a 31.1km/h average speed.

In the comments he was asked if no saddle training is part of his regular training programme. Chad replied: "Yea. Obviously riding with no saddle at all is not easy. So therefore I feel it is good training. Forces you to adapt to the situation."
13:44
Manchester friont garden 02 (picture courtesy Dr J Kasmire)
Shedgate, the Manchester edition: Planning permission likely to be refused for bike shed – since it would create ‘visual clutter’
Resident says council planner’s response is “Ridiculous” and reflects “A real lack of joined-up thinking”
12:39
Tell me you've never used a bike rack without telling me you've never used a bike rack

Oh dear...
12:28
More BMX success for Bethany Shriever as Olympic champ adds world championship to glittering palmares

Team GB's BMX racing Olympic gold medallist Bethany Shriever added a world championship rainbow jersey to her growing honours list. The rider who worked as a teacher to fund her training in the run up to Tokyo beat home favourites Judy Baauw and Laura Smulers in front of a Dutch crowd in Papendal, the Netherlands yesterday afternoon. Defending champ Alise Willoughby crashed out at the opening turn.

"I’ve been riding consistently and I just wanted to go out there and have a good time, like I did in Tokyo,” Shriever told the BBC. (link is external) "I went in gate eight, I was relaxed and happy. I had an alright start and just managed to dig in and take the win. Another gold medal — I can’t believe it."
12:28
Near Miss of the Day 627: Close passes over solid white line
Our regular series featuring close passes from around the country - today it's Thames Valley
10:27
Surrey traffic cops tell driver spouting Highway Code whataboutery to return licence

Yesterday, the famous Surrey Roads Policing Unit asked a question along the lines of something I'm sure many of us have at one point or another wondered, especially given the context of the recent uproar at the proposed Highway Code changes. 'If you were stopped by police and asked ten random questions about the Highway Code, do you think you'd get eight or more right?'

32 per cent said no, 62 per cent backed themselves...six claimed not to know what the Highway Code is. The main story however was one reply which caught the attention of everyone's favourite traffic cops...

This cyclist needs to learn the highway code. Rule 66 should not be riding two abreast on busy/narrow roads. Shocking behaviour by the cyclist, the van had clearly left enough space and was going to pass wide and slowly.

Roads Policing Unit (RPU) - Surrey Police - UK
@SurreyRoadCops
·
23h
Replying to
@Simon47724687
If you think that type of behaviour by the driver is acceptable then you need to return your licence to the DVLA immediately as you’re not of sound mind to drive.
The driver should be charged with assault
A road user owns the lane they are in.
A motorist has no priority.

It's the latest act of the Surrey traffic cops sticking up for cyclists on Twitter and challenging trolls. In 2017, they told another motorist to feel free to return his licence, saying he was "too childish to drive" (link is external) in response to an especially eloquent "F*** the cyclists" tweet.

More recently they slid into the DMs of one angry cyclist-basher to educate them on why you might ride in the middle of the lane.

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-23-august-2021-285801

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Surrey traffic cops tell driver spouting Highway Code whataboutery to return licence