It is very difficult to prophesy, especially when it pertains to the future.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Windows (The real variety)

SubjectAuthor
* Windows (The real variety)Tone
+* Windows (The real variety)Sam Plusnet
|+* Windows (The real variety)RustyHinge
||+- Windows (The real variety)Brian Gaff
||`- Windows (The real variety)Sam Plusnet
|+* Windows (The real variety)Nicholas D. Richards
||`- Windows (The real variety)Brian Gaff
|`* Windows (The real variety)Tone
| `* Windows (The real variety)Peter
|  +- Windows (The real variety)John Williamson
|  +- Windows (The real variety)Tone
|  `* Windows (The real variety)Nicholas D. Richards
|   `* Windows (The real variety)RustyHinge
|    `* Windows (The real variety)Nicholas D. Richards
|     `* Windows (The real variety)Kerr-Mudd, John
|      `* Windows (The real variety)Richard Robinson
|       `- Windows (The real variety)Nicholas D. Richards
`* Windows (The real variety)Brian Gaff
 +* Windows (The real variety)Tone
 |`* Windows (The real variety)Brian Gaff
 | +* Windows (The real variety)Sam Plusnet
 | |`- Windows (The real variety)Tone
 | `- Windows (The real variety)Tone
 `* Windows (The real variety)Ahem A Rivet's Shot
  `* Windows (The real variety)Brian Gaff
   `* Windows (The real variety)Ahem A Rivet's Shot
    +* Windows (The real variety)Richard Robinson
    |`* Windows (The real variety)Sam Plusnet
    | +- Windows (The real variety)Ahem A Rivet's Shot
    | `- Windows (The real variety)Richard Robinson
    +- Windows (The real variety)RustyHinge
    `* Windows (The real variety)Nicholas D. Richards
     `- Windows (The real variety)Sam Plusnet

Pages:12
Windows (The real variety)

<uaio8b$18k3v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23604&group=uk.rec.sheds#23604

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Windows (The real variety)
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 12:43:06 +0100
 by: Tone - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 11:43 UTC

I mentioned a while back that they are changing all the windows on our
court. It is a big job. There are 64 flats. 4/5 windows per flat and
lots in communal spaces.

They've erected scaffolding all around the building up to three floors.
That is a lot of scaffolding.

Now it transpires that the scaffolding, all of it, is too closer to the
windows and it will all have to be moved.

So now there is a dispute/stalemate* twixt the window company and the
scaffolding company, and nowt is happening, at all at all.

*"You should have told us exactly where you wanted the scaffolding!"

"You should have known where to put it. You knew what the job was!"

Interesting.

Meanwhile I'm glad the weather is mild because I can't open my window.

https://flic.kr/p/2oTCCvU

Tone (encaged)

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<zafzM.43414$Fl6e.27458@fx04.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23608&group=uk.rec.sheds#23608

Subject: Re: Windows (The real variety)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 23:43:43 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 22:43 UTC

On 04-Aug-23 12:43, Tone wrote:
> I mentioned a while back that they are changing all the windows on our
> court. It is a big job. There are 64 flats. 4/5 windows per flat and
> lots in communal spaces.
>
> They've erected scaffolding all around the building up to three floors.
> That is a lot of scaffolding.
>
> Now it transpires that the scaffolding, all of it, is too closer to the
> windows and it will all have to be moved.
>
> So now there is a dispute/stalemate* twixt the window company and the
> scaffolding company, and nowt is happening, at all at all.
>
> *"You should have told us exactly where you wanted the scaffolding!"
>
> "You should have known where to put it. You knew what the job was!"
>
> Interesting.
>
> Meanwhile I'm glad the weather is mild because I can't open my window.
>

> https://flic.kr/p/2oTCCvU

Write to Messrs Flanders and Swann. They may compose a ditty on the topic.

(I can see a sort of cross, between Gerard Hoffnung's 'barrel of bricks
being hoisted' - and F & S's 'It all makes jbex for the jbexing man to do'.)

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<uak156$1etkm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23609&group=uk.rec.sheds#23609

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 00:21:10 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 23:21 UTC

On 04/08/2023 23:43, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 04-Aug-23 12:43, Tone wrote:
>> I mentioned a while back that they are changing all the windows on our
>> court. It is a big job. There are 64 flats. 4/5 windows per flat and
>> lots in communal spaces.
>>
>> They've erected scaffolding all around the building up to three
>> floors. That is a lot of scaffolding.
>>
>> Now it transpires that the scaffolding, all of it, is too closer to
>> the windows and it will all have to be moved.
>>
>> So now there is a dispute/stalemate* twixt the window company and the
>> scaffolding company, and nowt is happening, at all at all.
>>
>> *"You should have told us exactly where you wanted the scaffolding!"
>>
>> "You should have known where to put it. You knew what the job was!"
>>
>> Interesting.
>>
>> Meanwhile I'm glad the weather is mild because I can't open my window.
>>

>> https://flic.kr/p/2oTCCvU
>
> Write to Messrs Flanders and Swann.  They may compose a ditty on the topic.
>
> (I can see a sort of cross, between Gerard Hoffnung's 'barrel of bricks
> being hoisted' - and F & S's 'It all makes jbex for the jbexing man to
> do'.)

I'm afraid Michael Flanders shrugged-off his mortal coil a long time
ago, and Donald Swann longered linger.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<ugaEgiADjYzkFAlY@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23613&group=uk.rec.sheds#23613

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 00:24:51 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 23:24 UTC

In article <zafzM.43414$Fl6e.27458@fx04.ams1>, Sam Plusnet
<not@home.com> on Fri, 4 Aug 2023 at 23:43:43 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 04-Aug-23 12:43, Tone wrote:
>> I mentioned a while back that they are changing all the windows on our
>> court. It is a big job. There are 64 flats. 4/5 windows per flat and
>> lots in communal spaces.
>>
>> They've erected scaffolding all around the building up to three floors.
>> That is a lot of scaffolding.
>>
>> Now it transpires that the scaffolding, all of it, is too closer to the
>> windows and it will all have to be moved.
>>
>> So now there is a dispute/stalemate* twixt the window company and the
>> scaffolding company, and nowt is happening, at all at all.
>>
>> *"You should have told us exactly where you wanted the scaffolding!"
>>
>> "You should have known where to put it. You knew what the job was!"
>>
>> Interesting.
>>
>> Meanwhile I'm glad the weather is mild because I can't open my window.
>>

>> https://flic.kr/p/2oTCCvU
>
>Write to Messrs Flanders and Swann. They may compose a ditty on the topic.
>
>(I can see a sort of cross, between Gerard Hoffnung's 'barrel of bricks
>being hoisted' - and F & S's 'It all makes jbex for the jbexing man to do'.)

Not even Stephane Flanders could put you in touch with Flanders or
Swann, sad to say.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<uak3kq$1f6a5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23614&group=uk.rec.sheds#23614

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 01:03:37 +0100
 by: Tone - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 00:03 UTC

On 04/08/2023 23:43, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 04-Aug-23 12:43, Tone wrote:
>> I mentioned a while back that they are changing all the windows on our
>> court. It is a big job. There are 64 flats. 4/5 windows per flat and
>> lots in communal spaces.
>>
>> They've erected scaffolding all around the building up to three
>> floors. That is a lot of scaffolding.
>>
>> Now it transpires that the scaffolding, all of it, is too closer to
>> the windows and it will all have to be moved.
>>
>> So now there is a dispute/stalemate* twixt the window company and the
>> scaffolding company, and nowt is happening, at all at all.
>>
>> *"You should have told us exactly where you wanted the scaffolding!"
>>
>> "You should have known where to put it. You knew what the job was!"
>>
>> Interesting.
>>
>> Meanwhile I'm glad the weather is mild because I can't open my window.
>>

>> https://flic.kr/p/2oTCCvU
>
> Write to Messrs Flanders and Swann.  They may compose a ditty on the topic.
>
> (I can see a sort of cross, between Gerard Hoffnung's 'barrel of bricks
> being hoisted' - and F & S's 'It all makes jbex for the jbexing man to
> do'.)

Or maybe Scaffold?

Tone

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<XnsB0575DAE3E688Factura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23617&group=uk.rec.sheds#23617

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 08:12:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 08:12 UTC

Tone <tone@email.com> wrote in news:uak3kq$1f6a5$1@dont-email.me:

> On 04/08/2023 23:43, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> On 04-Aug-23 12:43, Tone wrote:
>>> I mentioned a while back that they are changing all the windows on
>>> our court. It is a big job. There are 64 flats. 4/5 windows per flat
>>> and lots in communal spaces.
>>>
>>> They've erected scaffolding all around the building up to three
>>> floors. That is a lot of scaffolding.
>>>
>>> Now it transpires that the scaffolding, all of it, is too closer to
>>> the windows and it will all have to be moved.
>>>
>>> So now there is a dispute/stalemate* twixt the window company and
>>> the scaffolding company, and nowt is happening, at all at all.
>>>
>>> *"You should have told us exactly where you wanted the scaffolding!"
>>>
>>> "You should have known where to put it. You knew what the job was!"
>>>
>>> Interesting.
>>>
>>> Meanwhile I'm glad the weather is mild because I can't open my
>>> window.
>>>

>>> https://flic.kr/p/2oTCCvU
>>
>> Write to Messrs Flanders and Swann.  They may compose a ditty on the
>> topic.
>>
>> (I can see a sort of cross, between Gerard Hoffnung's 'barrel of
>> bricks being hoisted' - and F & S's 'It all makes jbex for the
>> jbexing man to do'.)
>>

> Or maybe Scaffold?
>
> Tone

Are they still going? I saw them live in Liverpuddle a few times.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<kj6fkfF62iqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23619&group=uk.rec.sheds#23619

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 09:30:05 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 08:30 UTC

On 05/08/2023 09:12, Peter wrote:
> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote in news:uak3kq$1f6a5$1@dont-email.me:
>

>> Or maybe Scaffold?
>>
>> Tone
>>

> Are they still going? I saw them live in Liverpuddle a few times.

Last heard of doing a rework of "Thank You Very Much" to recognise the
work of the NHS during lockdown (No, I didn't hear it played, either).
Vocals courtesy of their phones, using the original backing track.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<ual4n2$1mnj6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23622&group=uk.rec.sheds#23622

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 10:27:58 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 09:27 UTC

You know when they actually fit them you will find a lot of that expanding
foam is used, because it seems these days most windows fitters seem unable
to make windows the right size and shape and often damage the surround
getting the old ones out. What I cannot figure out is how it can be in the
wrong place? Most windows do not need much wall clearance to be fitted these
days.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Tone" <tone@email.com> wrote in message
>I mentioned a while back that they are changing all the windows on our
>court. It is a big job. There are 64 flats. 4/5 windows per flat and lots
>in communal spaces.
>
> They've erected scaffolding all around the building up to three floors.
> That is a lot of scaffolding.
>
> Now it transpires that the scaffolding, all of it, is too closer to the
> windows and it will all have to be moved.
>
> So now there is a dispute/stalemate* twixt the window company and the
> scaffolding company, and nowt is happening, at all at all.
>
> *"You should have told us exactly where you wanted the scaffolding!"
>
> "You should have known where to put it. You knew what the job was!"
>
> Interesting.
>
> Meanwhile I'm glad the weather is mild because I can't open my window.
>

> https://flic.kr/p/2oTCCvU
>
> Tone (encaged)

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<ual4t2$1mogu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23623&group=uk.rec.sheds#23623

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 10:31:09 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 09:31 UTC

Yes but surely somebody needs to be in this space again?

There was of course Kit and the Widow, but they were too camp and not enough
controversy.
Brian

--

--:
"RustyHinge" <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 04/08/2023 23:43, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> On 04-Aug-23 12:43, Tone wrote:
>>> I mentioned a while back that they are changing all the windows on our
>>> court. It is a big job. There are 64 flats. 4/5 windows per flat and
>>> lots in communal spaces.
>>>
>>> They've erected scaffolding all around the building up to three floors.
>>> That is a lot of scaffolding.
>>>
>>> Now it transpires that the scaffolding, all of it, is too closer to the
>>> windows and it will all have to be moved.
>>>
>>> So now there is a dispute/stalemate* twixt the window company and the
>>> scaffolding company, and nowt is happening, at all at all.
>>>
>>> *"You should have told us exactly where you wanted the scaffolding!"
>>>
>>> "You should have known where to put it. You knew what the job was!"
>>>
>>> Interesting.
>>>
>>> Meanwhile I'm glad the weather is mild because I can't open my window.
>>>
>>> https://flic.kr/p/2oTCCvU
>>
>> Write to Messrs Flanders and Swann. They may compose a ditty on the
>> topic.
>>
>> (I can see a sort of cross, between Gerard Hoffnung's 'barrel of bricks
>> being hoisted' - and F & S's 'It all makes jbex for the jbexing man to
>> do'.)
>>
> I'm afraid Michael Flanders shrugged-off his mortal coil a long time ago,
> and Donald Swann longered linger.
>

> --
> Rusty Hinge
> To err is human. To really foul things up requires a computer and the
> BOFH.

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<ual53l$1mp36$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23624&group=uk.rec.sheds#23624

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 10:34:41 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 09:34 UTC

No but AI might be a way to achieve this. Most of their recordings were
multitrack, and I think George martin had the masters, and now probably his
son Giles may well have access to them. Write the songs then get the ai
to do them in the correct voices.
Brian

--

--:
"Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote in message
> In article <zafzM.43414$Fl6e.27458@fx04.ams1>, Sam Plusnet
> <not@home.com> on Fri, 4 Aug 2023 at 23:43:43 awoke Nicholas from his
> slumbers and wrote
>>On 04-Aug-23 12:43, Tone wrote:
>>> I mentioned a while back that they are changing all the windows on our
>>> court. It is a big job. There are 64 flats. 4/5 windows per flat and
>>> lots in communal spaces.
>>>
>>> They've erected scaffolding all around the building up to three floors.
>>> That is a lot of scaffolding.
>>>
>>> Now it transpires that the scaffolding, all of it, is too closer to the
>>> windows and it will all have to be moved.
>>>
>>> So now there is a dispute/stalemate* twixt the window company and the
>>> scaffolding company, and nowt is happening, at all at all.
>>>
>>> *"You should have told us exactly where you wanted the scaffolding!"
>>>
>>> "You should have known where to put it. You knew what the job was!"
>>>
>>> Interesting.
>>>
>>> Meanwhile I'm glad the weather is mild because I can't open my window.
>>>

>>> https://flic.kr/p/2oTCCvU
>>
>>Write to Messrs Flanders and Swann. They may compose a ditty on the
>>topic.
>>
>>(I can see a sort of cross, between Gerard Hoffnung's 'barrel of bricks
>>being hoisted' - and F & S's 'It all makes jbex for the jbexing man to
>>do'.)
>>
> Not even Stephane Flanders could put you in touch with Flanders or
> Swann, sad to say.
> --
> 0sterc@tcher -
>
> "O� sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<ual6c2$1mtqo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23627&group=uk.rec.sheds#23627

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 10:56:17 +0100
 by: Tone - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 09:56 UTC

On 05/08/2023 09:12, Peter wrote:
> Are they still going? I saw them live in Liverpuddle a few times.

All three are still alive

Tone

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<ual6f5$1mtqo$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23628&group=uk.rec.sheds#23628

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 10:57:56 +0100
 by: Tone - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 09:57 UTC

On 05/08/2023 10:27, Brian Gaff wrote:
> What I cannot figure out is how it can be in the
> wrong place? Most windows do not need much wall clearance to be fitted these
> days.

The scaffolding is within an inch of the glass on the bay windows, and
there are a lot of bay windows.

Tone

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<20230805104341.9f80260005e550de1d8f6865@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23629&group=uk.rec.sheds#23629

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 10:43:41 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 09:43 UTC

On Sat, 5 Aug 2023 10:27:58 +0100
"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> You know when they actually fit them you will find a lot of that
> expanding foam is used, because it seems these days most windows fitters
> seem unable to make windows the right size and shape and often damage the
> surround getting the old ones out.

The real reason for the expanding foam is to make an airtight seal
around the window, this would be necessary even if the window and opening
were perfectly matched and undamaged. To finish the job properly it is
important to also seal the cavity in the reveal, I used a great deal of
expanding foam doing that in this place - so much that it would have been
purncre to ohl a frothpak.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<Eby+uIAjDjzkFASe@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23631&group=uk.rec.sheds#23631

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 12:22:11 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 11:22 UTC

In article <XnsB0575DAE3E688Factura3476@135.181.20.170>, Peter
<myshed@prune.org.uk> on Sat, 5 Aug 2023 at 08:12:32 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>Tone <tone@email.com> wrote in news:uak3kq$1f6a5$1@dont-email.me:

>>> Write to Messrs Flanders and Swann.  They may compose a ditty on the
>>> topic.
>>>
>>> (I can see a sort of cross, between Gerard Hoffnung's 'barrel of
>>> bricks being hoisted' - and F & S's 'It all makes jbex for the
>>> jbexing man to do'.)
>>>

>> Or maybe Scaffold?
>>
>> Tone
>>

>Are they still going? I saw them live in Liverpuddle a few times.

They still get together from time to time, although I have not seen them
since 1968 or 1969 when they performed at Keele University.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<RExzM.428960$mPI2.341270@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23639&group=uk.rec.sheds#23639

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 20:44:48 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 19:44 UTC

On 05-Aug-23 0:21, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 04/08/2023 23:43, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> On 04-Aug-23 12:43, Tone wrote:
>>> I mentioned a while back that they are changing all the windows on
>>> our court. It is a big job. There are 64 flats. 4/5 windows per flat
>>> and lots in communal spaces.
>>>
>>> They've erected scaffolding all around the building up to three
>>> floors. That is a lot of scaffolding.
>>>
>>> Now it transpires that the scaffolding, all of it, is too closer to
>>> the windows and it will all have to be moved.
>>>
>>> So now there is a dispute/stalemate* twixt the window company and the
>>> scaffolding company, and nowt is happening, at all at all.
>>>
>>> *"You should have told us exactly where you wanted the scaffolding!"
>>>
>>> "You should have known where to put it. You knew what the job was!"
>>>
>>> Interesting.
>>>
>>> Meanwhile I'm glad the weather is mild because I can't open my window.
>>>

>>> https://flic.kr/p/2oTCCvU
>>
>> Write to Messrs Flanders and Swann.  They may compose a ditty on the
>> topic.
>>
>> (I can see a sort of cross, between Gerard Hoffnung's 'barrel of
>> bricks being hoisted' - and F & S's 'It all makes jbex for the jbexing
>> man to do'.)
>>
> I'm afraid Michael Flanders shrugged-off his mortal coil a long time
> ago, and Donald Swann longered linger.

<waves fingers in a left to right fashion>

"Details my dear boy, details."

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<uao2ap$28hok$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23668&group=uk.rec.sheds#23668

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 13:05:44 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 12:05 UTC

I was shocked when I had a porch and a kitchen window and door fitted, just
how muchfoam they used. So much so that about 5 months later a chunk of
plaster fell of the wall with a big bubble of foam pushing it off.
Brian

--

--:
"Ahem A Rivet's Shot" <steveo@eircom.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 5 Aug 2023 10:27:58 +0100
> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You know when they actually fit them you will find a lot of that
>> expanding foam is used, because it seems these days most windows fitters
>> seem unable to make windows the right size and shape and often damage the
>> surround getting the old ones out.
>
> The real reason for the expanding foam is to make an airtight seal
> around the window, this would be necessary even if the window and opening
> were perfectly matched and undamaged. To finish the job properly it is
> important to also seal the cavity in the reveal, I used a great deal of
> expanding foam doing that in this place - so much that it would have been
> purncre to ohl a frothpak.
>
> --
> Steve O'Hara-Smith
> Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
> Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
> Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<uao2el$28j8q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23669&group=uk.rec.sheds#23669

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 13:07:48 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 12:07 UTC

Well that is just plain stupidity then. Seeing the bays they should have
measuredfrom that to the scaffold to get room to move things about. I'd
suggest the window company take the scaffold company to court. Its not
rocket science.
Brian

--

--:
> On 05/08/2023 10:27, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> What I cannot figure out is how it can be in the
>> wrong place? Most windows do not need much wall clearance to be fitted
>> these
>> days.
>
> The scaffolding is within an inch of the glass on the bay windows, and
> there are a lot of bay windows.
>
> Tone

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<20230806150747.2520989f3574ea6b30b23c54@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23679&group=uk.rec.sheds#23679

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 15:07:47 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 14:07 UTC

On Sun, 6 Aug 2023 13:05:44 +0100
"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was shocked when I had a porch and a kitchen window and door fitted,
> just how muchfoam they used. So much so that about 5 months later a chunk
> of plaster fell of the wall with a big bubble of foam pushing it off.

Yeah it shouldn't be like that - I'd want something between foam
and plaster myself, but if not they should at least wait for the foam to
stop expanding, it takes quite some time for the one part foam to set.

When this place was done Munster just hung the doors and windows
into bare walls and I got to do the reveals myself. I used spacers and
plasterboard to make a one inch gap and filled that with expanding foam, the
cavities were already plugged with blocks of foam so those edges got sealed
too.

What is this thing you call draft ?

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<uaoevj$2bjcr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23680&group=uk.rec.sheds#23680

From: rich...@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 15:41:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 15:41 UTC

Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
> On Sun, 6 Aug 2023 13:05:44 +0100
> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I was shocked when I had a porch and a kitchen window and door fitted,
>> just how muchfoam they used. So much so that about 5 months later a chunk
>> of plaster fell of the wall with a big bubble of foam pushing it off.
>
> Yeah it shouldn't be like that - I'd want something between foam
> and plaster myself, but if not they should at least wait for the foam to
> stop expanding, it takes quite some time for the one part foam to set.
>
> When this place was done Munster just hung the doors and windows
> into bare walls and I got to do the reveals myself. I used spacers and
> plasterboard to make a one inch gap and filled that with expanding foam, the
> cavities were already plugged with blocks of foam so those edges got sealed
> too.
>
> What is this thing you call draft ?

I think it's what we call draught ?

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<ehTzM.284473$qnnb.63841@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23689&group=uk.rec.sheds#23689

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 21:21:29 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 20:21 UTC

On 06-Aug-23 16:41, Richard Robinson wrote:
> Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
>> On Sun, 6 Aug 2023 13:05:44 +0100
>> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I was shocked when I had a porch and a kitchen window and door fitted,
>>> just how muchfoam they used. So much so that about 5 months later a chunk
>>> of plaster fell of the wall with a big bubble of foam pushing it off.
>>
>> Yeah it shouldn't be like that - I'd want something between foam
>> and plaster myself, but if not they should at least wait for the foam to
>> stop expanding, it takes quite some time for the one part foam to set.
>>
>> When this place was done Munster just hung the doors and windows
>> into bare walls and I got to do the reveals myself. I used spacers and
>> plasterboard to make a one inch gap and filled that with expanding foam, the
>> cavities were already plugged with blocks of foam so those edges got sealed
>> too.
>>
>> What is this thing you call draft ?
>
> I think it's what we call draught ?

A necessary feature for any household which uses things like
"combustion" and "breathing".

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<yiTzM.284474$qnnb.234890@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23690&group=uk.rec.sheds#23690

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 21:22:54 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 20:22 UTC

On 06-Aug-23 13:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Well that is just plain stupidity then. Seeing the bays they should have
> measuredfrom that to the scaffold to get room to move things about. I'd
> suggest the window company take the scaffold company to court. Its not
> rocket science.

But what, exactly, did the scaffold company get told when they were
given the wbo?

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<20230806214233.ab8cf6a37cb90a7d52371589@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23691&group=uk.rec.sheds#23691

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 21:42:33 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 20:42 UTC

On Sun, 6 Aug 2023 21:21:29 +0100
Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

> A necessary feature for any household which uses things like
> "combustion" and "breathing".

Fans and a heat exchanger.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<uapkql$2mefl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23696&group=uk.rec.sheds#23696

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 03:27:34 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 02:27 UTC

On 05/08/2023 12:22, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <XnsB0575DAE3E688Factura3476@135.181.20.170>, Peter
> <myshed@prune.org.uk> on Sat, 5 Aug 2023 at 08:12:32 awoke Nicholas
> from his slumbers and wrote

<Scaffold?>

>> Are they still going? I saw them live in Liverpuddle a few times.
>>
> They still get together from time to time, although I have not seen them
> since 1968 or 1969 when they performed at Keele University.

Remember Readers Digest published a much-vaunted 'complete' atlas of
Great Britain? I had a fiend at Keele University at the time so looked
up Keele.

Either Keele didn't exist and John was molishing false claims of
educational competence, or Readers Digest didn't understand the worm
'complete'

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<uapl37$2mefl$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23697&group=uk.rec.sheds#23697

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 03:32:09 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 02:32 UTC

On 06/08/2023 15:07, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Aug 2023 13:05:44 +0100
> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I was shocked when I had a porch and a kitchen window and door fitted,
>> just how muchfoam they used. So much so that about 5 months later a chunk
>> of plaster fell of the wall with a big bubble of foam pushing it off.
>
> Yeah it shouldn't be like that - I'd want something between foam
> and plaster myself, but if not they should at least wait for the foam to
> stop expanding, it takes quite some time for the one part foam to set.
>
> When this place was done Munster just hung the doors and windows
> into bare walls and I got to do the reveals myself. I used spacers and
> plasterboard to make a one inch gap and filled that with expanding foam, the
> cavities were already plugged with blocks of foam so those edges got sealed
> too.
>
> What is this thing you call draft ?
What is this thing you call air?

<gasp>

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Windows (The real variety)

<4y$h0LAL$K0kFA$u@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23705&group=uk.rec.sheds#23705

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 09:48:11 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 08:48 UTC

In article <uapkql$2mefl$1@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@fooba
r.girolle.co.uk> on Mon, 7 Aug 2023 at 03:27:34 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 05/08/2023 12:22, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>> In article <XnsB0575DAE3E688Factura3476@135.181.20.170>, Peter
>> <myshed@prune.org.uk> on Sat, 5 Aug 2023 at 08:12:32 awoke Nicholas
>> from his slumbers and wrote
>>>>
><Scaffold?>
>
>>> Are they still going? I saw them live in Liverpuddle a few times.
>>>
>> They still get together from time to time, although I have not seen them
>> since 1968 or 1969 when they performed at Keele University.
>>
>Remember Readers Digest published a much-vaunted 'complete' atlas of
>Great Britain? I had a fiend at Keele University at the time so looked
>up Keele.
>
>Either Keele didn't exist and John was molishing false claims of
>educational competence, or Readers Digest didn't understand the worm
>'complete'

Somewhere or other I have a copy of the Diders Reegest Atlas, I never
noticed the absence of Keele. Maybe I did not look.

Which is strange given that I was at Keele in the late 60's. There were
a few thousand of us on the campus and also in Keele village. I could
see the service station on the M6 from my room in hall. My father used
to use the motorway service station access as a quick way to get on and
off the motorway rather than driving through the Potteries. Strictly
against the rules and maybe the law. They blocked that access,
eventually, but after my time.

I am doing some de-cluttering AtM and have just come across the photo-
slide that I took while I was there. Not sure what to do with them.

Ah, happy days
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"