From: nothing....@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: A rather basic error.
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 07:43:08 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 21:43 UTC

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/tesla-investigated-after-steering-wheels-fall-off-during-driving-20230309-p5cqle.html

How do you forget to put something as important as that on the car?. I
suppose that it's a reporter's error, but I'd hope that the steering
wheel to column interface would include splines and not rely on friction.

They are also continuing to use their customers as testers for their
rather sketchy "Self driving" software with occasional tragic results.
I'm not sure how they get away with it, they market it as an "Autopilot"
when it obviously isn't.

--
Clocky on programming 18 Feb 2022
"What, you copy and paste code into a sketch in Arduino, select the

Clocky on NASA 18 Mar 2022
"Oh, and btw... if you worked for NASA how is it thay you are seemingly
oblivious to Commodore Amigas used at NASA"

Re: A rather basic error.

<tub29t$1400p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23569&group=aus.cars#23569

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: A rather basic error.
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 09:30:21 +1100
 by: Noddy - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 22:30 UTC

On 9/03/2023 8:43 am, Keithr0 wrote:
> https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/tesla-investigated-after-steering-wheels-fall-off-during-driving-20230309-p5cqle.html
>
> How do you forget to put something as important as that on the car?. I
> suppose that it's a reporter's error, but I'd hope that the steering
> wheel to column interface would include splines and not rely on friction.
>
> They are also continuing to use their customers as testers for their
> rather sketchy "Self driving" software with occasional tragic results.
> I'm not sure how they get away with it, they market it as an "Autopilot"
> when it obviously isn't.

I saw this story online somewhere two or three weeks ago. I loved the
bit about the dealership wanting to charge the owner of what was a brand
new car a "fee" for correcting what was in fact a manufacturing defect.

If anyone ever needed proof that Tesla's are one of the most poorly
built cars on the planet, they need look no further than this :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: A rather basic error.

<k6sigtF8tknU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23576&group=aus.cars#23576

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 10:02:53 +1100
 by: Daryl - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 23:02 UTC

On 9/3/2023 8:43 am, Keithr0 wrote:
> https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/tesla-investigated-after-steering-wheels-fall-off-during-driving-20230309-p5cqle.html
>
> How do you forget to put something as important as that on the car?.

I've seen some very odd things happen to mass produced cars, not
impossible for a bolt to be missed but the problem is why wasn't the
loose steering wheel found during QC checks at the end of the production
line or during dealer pre delivery.

> suppose that it's a reporter's error, but I'd hope that the steering
> wheel to column interface would include splines and not rely on friction.

Maybe he meant the friction between the spline and the wheel, it must
have been a very tight fit for the missing bolt to not be obvious.

> They are also continuing to use their customers as testers for their
> rather sketchy "Self driving" software with occasional tragic results.
> I'm not sure how they get away with it, they market it as an "Autopilot"
> when it obviously isn't.

Seems to be a common practice to have customers be beta testers, the
manufactures are saving lots of money by not doing proper testing
themselves.

--
Daryl

Re: A rather basic error.

<k6sk61F98ajU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23579&group=aus.cars#23579

From: nothing....@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 09:31:14 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 23:31 UTC

On 9/03/2023 9:02 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 9/3/2023 8:43 am, Keithr0 wrote:
>> https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/tesla-investigated-after-steering-wheels-fall-off-during-driving-20230309-p5cqle.html
>>
>> How do you forget to put something as important as that on the car?.
>
> I've seen some very odd things happen to mass produced cars, not
> impossible for a bolt to be missed but the problem is why wasn't the
> loose steering wheel found during QC checks at the end of the production
> line or during dealer pre delivery.

>> suppose that it's a reporter's error, but I'd hope that the steering
>> wheel to column interface would include splines and not rely on friction.
>
> Maybe he meant the friction between the spline and the wheel, it must
> have been a very tight fit for the missing bolt to not be obvious.
>>
>> They are also continuing to use their customers as testers for their
>> rather sketchy "Self driving" software with occasional tragic results.
>> I'm not sure how they get away with it, they market it as an
>> "Autopilot" when it obviously isn't.
>>

> Seems to be a common practice to have customers be beta testers, the
> manufactures are saving lots of money by not doing proper testing
> themselves.

In Tesla's case, crash test dummies rather than beta testers.

--
Clocky on programming 18 Feb 2022
"What, you copy and paste code into a sketch in Arduino, select the
libraries to include, modify it a bit and hit program"

Clocky on NASA 18 Mar 2022
"Oh, and btw... if you worked for NASA how is it thay you are seemingly
oblivious to Commodore Amigas used at NASA"

Re: A rather basic error.

<tub727$14pv7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23582&group=aus.cars#23582

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 10:51:35 +1100
 by: Noddy - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 23:51 UTC

On 9/03/2023 10:02 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 9/3/2023 8:43 am, Keithr0 wrote:

>> They are also continuing to use their customers as testers for their
>> rather sketchy "Self driving" software with occasional tragic results.
>> I'm not sure how they get away with it, they market it as an
>> "Autopilot" when it obviously isn't.
>>

> Seems to be a common practice to have customers be beta testers, the
> manufactures are saving lots of money by not doing proper testing
> themselves.

Yeah, and we're ending up with unreliable vehicles as a result.

Talk doing the rounds on a few Facebook groups at the moment as to when
the zenith for new car production was in terms of packages that were
"right", and most seem to believe it was in the 2005-2010 period. The
general consensus is that was the period where new cars were reasonably
well equipped, well made and generally reliable and were adequately
tested before being released to the general public.

It is also a generally held view that while cars have got more refined
and are kitted out with significantly better levels of tech since then,
that's also come at the cost of unreliability with cars being less
adequately tested before release with lots of bugs being present.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: A rather basic error.

<tub7gd$14pv7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23586&group=aus.cars#23586

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 10:59:09 +1100
 by: Noddy - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 23:59 UTC

On 9/03/2023 10:31 am, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 9/03/2023 9:02 am, Daryl wrote:

>> Seems to be a common practice to have customers be beta testers, the
>> manufactures are saving lots of money by not doing proper testing
>> themselves.
>
> In Tesla's case, crash test dummies rather than beta testers.

This guy demonstrates how bad the Tesla self driving "feature" is:

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLBR39RcyiU

There's a whole bunch more, including some hideous examples of accidents
where even the very worst of human drivers would never have made the
kind of mistakes the Tesla autonomous driving mode has.

I think it will be a very long time before such things are legal in this
country, and that's not a bad thing. Musk and his bullshit little
electric car are way further off the mark than the idiot would like to
have everyone believe.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: A rather basic error.

<k6smecF98ajU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23588&group=aus.cars#23588

From: nothing....@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 10:09:49 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 00:09 UTC

On 9/03/2023 9:59 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 9/03/2023 10:31 am, Keithr0 wrote:
>> On 9/03/2023 9:02 am, Daryl wrote:
>
>>> Seems to be a common practice to have customers be beta testers, the
>>> manufactures are saving lots of money by not doing proper testing
>>> themselves.
>>
>> In Tesla's case, crash test dummies rather than beta testers.
>
> This guy demonstrates how bad the Tesla self driving "feature" is:
>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLBR39RcyiU
>
> There's a whole bunch more, including some hideous examples of accidents
> where even the very worst of human drivers would never have made the
> kind of mistakes the Tesla autonomous driving mode has.
>
> I think it will be a very long time before such things are legal in this
> country, and that's not a bad thing. Musk and his bullshit little
> electric car are way further off the mark than the idiot would like to
> have everyone believe.

Further information, the cars that lost their steering wheels had been
re-worked where the wheel had to come off but the idiot concerned forgot
to replace the nut. This article also shows even more short comings with
the "Autopilot" like not seeing motorbikes and fire engines.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/03/tesla-under-new-federal-investigation-for-steering-wheels-that-detach/

--
Clocky on programming 18 Feb 2022
"What, you copy and paste code into a sketch in Arduino, select the
libraries to include, modify it a bit and hit program"

Clocky on NASA 18 Mar 2022
"Oh, and btw... if you worked for NASA how is it thay you are seemingly
oblivious to Commodore Amigas used at NASA"

Re: A rather basic error.

<tubcuj$15fm8$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23597&group=aus.cars#23597

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 12:32:03 +1100
 by: Noddy - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 01:32 UTC

On 9/03/2023 11:09 am, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 9/03/2023 9:59 am, Noddy wrote:

>> I think it will be a very long time before such things are legal in
>> this country, and that's not a bad thing. Musk and his bullshit little
>> electric car are way further off the mark than the idiot would like to
>> have everyone believe.
>>

> Further information, the cars that lost their steering wheels had been
> re-worked where the wheel had to come off but the idiot concerned forgot
> to replace the nut. This article also shows even more short comings with
> the "Autopilot" like not seeing motorbikes and fire engines.
>
> https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/03/tesla-under-new-federal-investigation-for-steering-wheels-that-detach/

Nice.

Why would anyone *want* one? :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: A rather basic error.

<640a78a4$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23614&group=aus.cars#23614

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: ozi...@xizo.am (Ozix)
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 08:24:04 +0800
 by: Ozix - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 00:24 UTC

Noddy wrote:

> If anyone ever needed proof that Tesla's are one of the most poorly
> built cars on the planet, they need look no further than this :)

Maybe the worst is BYD, which seems to suffer electrolytic corrosion in
less than a year.