aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: Looking for something different?

SubjectAuthor
* Looking for something different?Keithr0
`* Re: Looking for something different?Noddy
 `* Re: Looking for something different?Daryl
  `* Re: Looking for something different?Noddy
   +* Re: Looking for something different?Keithr0
   |`- Re: Looking for something different?Noddy
   `- Re: Looking for something different?Xeno

1
Looking for something different?

<k730qiF8sceU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23618&group=aus.cars#23618

From: nothing....@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Looking for something different?
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 19:43:46 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 09:43 UTC

V12 - check
27 litres - check
Totally mad - check

https://www.carandclassic.com/auctions/1972-john-dodds-the-beast-8bEqL4

--
Clocky on programming 18 Feb 2022
"What, you copy and paste code into a sketch in Arduino, select the

Clocky on NASA 18 Mar 2022
"Oh, and btw... if you worked for NASA how is it thay you are seemingly
oblivious to Commodore Amigas used at NASA"

Re: Looking for something different?

<tuhksa$2emer$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23619&group=aus.cars#23619

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: Looking for something different?
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 21:24:10 +1100
 by: Noddy - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 10:24 UTC

On 11/03/2023 8:43 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> V12 - check
> 27 litres - check
> Totally mad - check
>
> https://www.carandclassic.com/auctions/1972-john-dodds-the-beast-8bEqL4

It's been done a number of times before, and quite frankly that one
looks pretty average. Rod Hadfield's Merlin powered '55 Chev is a much
nicer implementation.

> https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/massive-attack-1955-chevrolet-sports-coupe

Personally I don't know why anyone would *want* to, but Hadfield at
least has made a nice living building strange and unusual cars in order
to promote his business.

> https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/the-mad-scientist-of-australian-hot-rodding-biography-of-rod-hadfield

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Looking for something different?

<k74giqFftabU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23620&group=aus.cars#23620

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 10:18:50 +1100
 by: Daryl - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 23:18 UTC

On 11/3/2023 9:24 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 11/03/2023 8:43 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
>> V12 - check
>> 27 litres - check
>> Totally mad - check
>>
>> https://www.carandclassic.com/auctions/1972-john-dodds-the-beast-8bEqL4
>
> It's been done a number of times before, and quite frankly that one
> looks pretty average. Rod Hadfield's Merlin powered '55 Chev is a much
> nicer implementation.
>
>> https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/massive-attack-1955-chevrolet-sports-coupe
>
> Personally I don't know why anyone would *want* to, but Hadfield at
> least has made a nice living building strange and unusual cars in order
> to promote his business.
>
>> https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/the-mad-scientist-of-australian-hot-rodding-biography-of-rod-hadfield

The Hadfield car immediately came to mind when I first saw the Dodds
car, AFAIK Jay Leno also has a merlin powered car so its not a new idea.
Certainly an interesting novelty but as cars go not very usable.

--
Daryl

Re: Looking for something different?

<tukdhe$31vf3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23626&group=aus.cars#23626

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 22:37:15 +1100
 by: Noddy - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 11:37 UTC

On 12/03/2023 10:18 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 11/3/2023 9:24 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> Personally I don't know why anyone would *want* to, but Hadfield at
>> least has made a nice living building strange and unusual cars in
>> order to promote his business.
>>
>>> https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/the-mad-scientist-of-australian-hot-rodding-biography-of-rod-hadfield
>>
> The Hadfield car immediately came to mind when I first saw the Dodds
> car, AFAIK Jay Leno also has a merlin powered car so its not a new idea.
> Certainly an interesting novelty but as cars go not very usable.

No. Crap like that doesn't do anything for me, but to each their own.
Some people like driving MX-5's for fuck's sake. Can you imagine? :)

There was a story getting around *years* ago about a bloke who had a
Merlin powered Rolls Royce that he used to drive up and down the
Autobahns in Germany at 200 miles per hour. Whether it was true or not I
can't tell you, but there has been a number of Merlin powered cars
around over the years.

And boats. A bloke I knew years ago who would be long dead now was the
"crew chief" on a Hydroplane named "Bayswater Bulk". It was owned by the
guy who owned the Bayswater Bulk business, and the bloke who looked
after it was an old RAAF mechanic who would have been in his 80's back
when I knew him which was when I was working for Repco. The boat used to
be kept in an old workshop that was tagged onto the back of a big cable
factory in Brunswick, and the last time I was over there he had around 5
or 6 Merlins in various stages of assembly. Some complete, some in
pieces, and all of them ex defence surplus that were sold off in the
early 1970's. The boat had a long career racing against an American
hydroplane called the "Miss Bud", and they would race each other both in
the US and here.

No idea whatever happened to it or it's associated parts.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Looking for something different?

<k75t66Fm758U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23627&group=aus.cars#23627

From: nothing....@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 22:00:06 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 12:00 UTC

On 12/03/2023 9:37 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 12/03/2023 10:18 am, Daryl wrote:
>> On 11/3/2023 9:24 pm, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> Personally I don't know why anyone would *want* to, but Hadfield at
>>> least has made a nice living building strange and unusual cars in
>>> order to promote his business.

>> The Hadfield car immediately came to mind when I first saw the Dodds
>> car, AFAIK Jay Leno also has a merlin powered car so its not a new idea.
>> Certainly an interesting novelty but as cars go not very usable.
>
> No. Crap like that doesn't do anything for me, but to each their own.
> Some people like driving MX-5's for fuck's sake. Can you imagine? :)

You obviously lack a single clue :)

> There was a story getting around *years* ago about a bloke who had a
> Merlin powered Rolls Royce that he used to drive up and down the
> Autobahns in Germany at 200 miles per hour. Whether it was true or not I
> can't tell you, but there has been a number of Merlin powered cars
> around over the years.

That could well be the one up for auction, he used to drive around the
continent, and reputedly it could do something like 200mph

> And boats. A bloke I knew years ago who would be long dead now was the
> "crew chief" on a Hydroplane named "Bayswater Bulk". It was owned by the
> guy who owned the Bayswater Bulk business, and the bloke who looked
> after it was an old RAAF mechanic who would have been in his 80's back
> when I knew him which was when I was working for Repco. The boat used to
> be kept in an old workshop that was tagged onto the back of a big cable
> factory in Brunswick, and the last time I was over there he had around 5
> or 6 Merlins in various stages of assembly. Some complete, some in
> pieces, and all of them ex defence surplus that were sold off in the
> early 1970's. The boat had a long career racing against an American
> hydroplane called the "Miss Bud", and they would race each other both in
> the US and here.

There were 22 Miss Buds between 1963 and 2004, before that there was
"Golden Thing" which I believe was also Merlin or Allison powered.

> No idea whatever happened to it or it's associated parts.

A good Merlin is worth $100K plus these days, the parts are also quite
valuable if in good nick.

--
Clocky on programming 18 Feb 2022
"What, you copy and paste code into a sketch in Arduino, select the
libraries to include, modify it a bit and hit program"

Clocky on NASA 18 Mar 2022
"Oh, and btw... if you worked for NASA how is it thay you are seemingly
oblivious to Commodore Amigas used at NASA"

Re: Looking for something different?

<k760soFmuteU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23628&group=aus.cars#23628

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 00:03:19 +1100
 by: Xeno - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 13:03 UTC

On 12/3/2023 10:37 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 12/03/2023 10:18 am, Daryl wrote:
>> On 11/3/2023 9:24 pm, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> Personally I don't know why anyone would *want* to, but Hadfield at
>>> least has made a nice living building strange and unusual cars in
>>> order to promote his business.

>> The Hadfield car immediately came to mind when I first saw the Dodds
>> car, AFAIK Jay Leno also has a merlin powered car so its not a new idea.
>> Certainly an interesting novelty but as cars go not very usable.
>
> No. Crap like that doesn't do anything for me, but to each their own.
> Some people like driving MX-5's for fuck's sake. Can you imagine? :)
>
> There was a story getting around *years* ago about a bloke who had a
> Merlin powered Rolls Royce that he used to drive up and down the
> Autobahns in Germany at 200 miles per hour. Whether it was true or not I
> can't tell you, but there has been a number of Merlin powered cars
> around over the years.
>
> And boats. A bloke I knew years ago who would be long dead now was the

And it starts - again!

> "crew chief" on a Hydroplane named "Bayswater Bulk". It was owned by the
> guy who owned the Bayswater Bulk business, and the bloke who looked
> after it was an old RAAF mechanic who would have been in his 80's back
> when I knew him which was when I was working for Repco. The boat used to
> be kept in an old workshop that was tagged onto the back of a big cable
> factory in Brunswick, and the last time I was over there he had around 5
> or 6 Merlins in various stages of assembly. Some complete, some in
> pieces, and all of them ex defence surplus that were sold off in the
> early 1970's. The boat had a long career racing against an American
> hydroplane called the "Miss Bud", and they would race each other both in
> the US and here.
>
> No idea whatever happened to it or it's associated parts.

Oh dear! The pixie dust is getting thick over on the Merrimu Mesa. Needs
a gale to blow it all away.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Looking for something different?

<tuklj3$33a57$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23629&group=aus.cars#23629

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 00:54:42 +1100
 by: Noddy - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 13:54 UTC

On 12/03/2023 11:00 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 12/03/2023 9:37 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> No. Crap like that doesn't do anything for me, but to each their own.
>> Some people like driving MX-5's for fuck's sake. Can you imagine? :)
>
> You obviously lack a single clue :)

Or have some self respect. Take your pick :)

>> There was a story getting around *years* ago about a bloke who had a
>> Merlin powered Rolls Royce that he used to drive up and down the
>> Autobahns in Germany at 200 miles per hour. Whether it was true or not
>> I can't tell you, but there has been a number of Merlin powered cars
>> around over the years.
>
> That could well be the one up for auction, he used to drive around the
> continent, and reputedly it could do something like 200mph

Dunno. The story of the 200mph Merlin powered Roller did the rounds a
very long time ago.

>> And boats. A bloke I knew years ago who would be long dead now was the
>> "crew chief" on a Hydroplane named "Bayswater Bulk". It was owned by
>> the guy who owned the Bayswater Bulk business, and the bloke who
>> looked after it was an old RAAF mechanic who would have been in his
>> 80's back when I knew him which was when I was working for Repco. The
>> boat used to be kept in an old workshop that was tagged onto the back
>> of a big cable factory in Brunswick, and the last time I was over
>> there he had around 5 or 6 Merlins in various stages of assembly. Some
>> complete, some in pieces, and all of them ex defence surplus that were
>> sold off in the early 1970's. The boat had a long career racing
>> against an American hydroplane called the "Miss Bud", and they would
>> race each other both in the US and here.
>
> There were 22 Miss Buds between 1963 and 2004, before that there was
> "Golden Thing" which I believe was also Merlin or Allison powered.

This was in the mid to late 1980's. Never saw the Miss Bid in the flesh,
but saw the Bayswater Bulk machine. Stored in the workshop in Brunswick
as I mentioned.

>> No idea whatever happened to it or it's associated parts.
>
> A good Merlin is worth $100K plus these days, the parts are also quite
> valuable if in good nick.

No idea whatever became of it. I was never into boats.

Regards,
Noddy.