Laugh, and the world ignores you. Crying doesn't help either.

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Re: Cold Frame and Slugs

SubjectAuthor
* Cold Frame and Slugsjohn curzon
+- Re: Cold Frame and SlugsRustyHinge
+- Re: Cold Frame and SlugsChris Hogg
`- Re: Cold Frame and SlugsN_Cook

1
Cold Frame and Slugs

<ac582619-13e2-4811-8c67-455c91a1ed12n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2359&group=uk.rec.gardening#2359

Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 10:31:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Cold Frame and Slugs
From: kirby...@gmail.com (john curzon)
 by: john curzon - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 17:31 UTC

Have just bought my first Cold Frame.

What would be the issue with keeping out the Slugs?

An entry point at each corner would need for them to climb about 5 Cm up some aluminum frame and then to squeeze through a vertical gap of 1 Cm between panes of glass.

If you think that I really need to block this gap, I would do so with foam or something soft to squeeze between the vertical panes of glass.

The vertical gap about 30 Cm or so high. What height would it need to be sealed off with foam if you think this is necessary? Since i don't know their level of stamina.

Re: Cold Frame and Slugs

<tvievl$1a7t7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2362&group=uk.rec.gardening#2362

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Cold Frame and Slugs
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 21:05:57 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 21:05 UTC

On 23/03/2023 17:31, john curzon wrote:
> Have just bought my first Cold Frame.
>
> What would be the issue with keeping out the Slugs?

Slugs can squeeze throug incredibly narrow cracks.

> An entry point at each corner would need for them to climb about 5 Cm up some aluminum frame and then to squeeze through a vertical gap of 1 Cm between panes of glass.
>
> If you think that I really need to block this gap, I would do so with foam or something soft to squeeze between the vertical panes of glass.

Forget it. They'll laugh in your face.

> The vertical gap about 30 Cm or so high. What height would it need to be sealed off with foam if you think this is necessary? Since i don't know their level of stamina.

Think decametres. Or if it's *really* hungry, decometres.

They will slip through minute gaps in the soil if you leave that option
open. If you can get a length of copper wire (easy) and a length of zinc
wire or strip (not so easy) you could exclude them by fixing a strip of
each along abutting faces, or better, two parallel copper wires along
one surface and feed one strand from the negative contact of a battery,
and the other strand from the positive.

Assuming you want to leave one surface open, you'll need to fix it so
that when the lid is closed, one strand is positive and another strand
is negative - work out the logistics yourself - ust so your slugs have
to be in contact with both polarities if they try to squeeze through.

BTW, I meant to ask before, are you related to the late ♫Clifford Curzon♫?

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Cold Frame and Slugs

<5fqq1idhp0hf2t8cos3vrjll1pil9gbqv8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2363&group=uk.rec.gardening#2363

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 09:17:08 +0000
 by: Chris Hogg - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 09:17 UTC

On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 10:31:23 -0700 (PDT), john curzon
<kirbyx95@gmail.com> wrote:

>Have just bought my first Cold Frame.
>
>What would be the issue with keeping out the Slugs?
>
>An entry point at each corner would need for them to climb about 5 Cm up some aluminum frame and then to squeeze through a vertical gap of 1 Cm between panes of glass.
>
>If you think that I really need to block this gap, I would do so with foam or something soft to squeeze between the vertical panes of glass.
>
>The vertical gap about 30 Cm or so high. What height would it need to be sealed off with foam if you think this is necessary? Since i don't know their level of stamina.

As Rusty says, forget trying to keep them out.

Your best bet is to assume they will get in, and scatter a few of the
new type of slug pellets, the ones containing a little iron phosphate,
around the floor of the frame.

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: Cold Frame and Slugs

<tvjq2s$1jrvs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2364&group=uk.rec.gardening#2364

From: dive...@tcp.co.uk (N_Cook)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 09:21:49 +0000
 by: N_Cook - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 09:21 UTC

On 23/03/2023 17:31, john curzon wrote:
> Have just bought my first Cold Frame.
>
> What would be the issue with keeping out the Slugs?
>
> An entry point at each corner would need for them to climb about 5 Cm up some aluminum frame and then to squeeze through a vertical gap of 1 Cm between panes of glass.
>
> If you think that I really need to block this gap, I would do so with foam or something soft to squeeze between the vertical panes of glass.
>
> The vertical gap about 30 Cm or so high. What height would it need to be sealed off with foam if you think this is necessary? Since i don't know their level of stamina.

Individual plant protection I make a bund of sliced up bits of bramble
branch around the plant. Perhaps a layer of bramble stems around the
cold frame.

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
<http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm>