From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: It’s that claim, again 🙄
Date: 26 Feb 2023 15:45:17 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 15:45 UTC

QUOTE The Netherlands – the world leader for safe cycling infrastructure
with a strong bike riding culture – reported the lowest rates of helmet use
and the lowest cycling fatality rate per distance travelled. ENDQUOTE

The Netherlands has a poor road safety record.

For a population of 17m, an annual death toll for cyclists of 207 suggests
that much remains to be done in that country.

The UK, by way of contrast, has 117 deaths in a population of 68m.

Per head, the UK is a massive 8 times safer (to use the dreadful modern
vernacular).

The UK has nothing to learn from the Netherlands in these matters, but it
seems that the Netherlands could learn from the UK.

You won’t see these figures on road.cc as they send the wrong message.

Official Dutch data here:

<https://swov.nl/sites/default/files/media/media.up/fs_international_fig5.png>

--
Spike

Tearing Mason’s shibboleths apart on a daily basis.

Re: It’s that claim, again 🙄

<ttg41v$2vfa8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23748&group=uk.rec.cycling#23748

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: It’s that claim, again
🙄
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 17:14:39 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:bfmvojvQn8aTDGeZ1GCKZJl5guM=
 by: Brian - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 17:14 UTC

Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:
> QUOTE The Netherlands – the world leader for safe cycling infrastructure
> with a strong bike riding culture – reported the lowest rates of helmet use
> and the lowest cycling fatality rate per distance travelled. ENDQUOTE
>
> The Netherlands has a poor road safety record.
>
> For a population of 17m, an annual death toll for cyclists of 207 suggests
> that much remains to be done in that country.
>
> The UK, by way of contrast, has 117 deaths in a population of 68m.
>
> Per head, the UK is a massive 8 times safer (to use the dreadful modern
> vernacular).
>
> The UK has nothing to learn from the Netherlands in these matters, but it
> seems that the Netherlands could learn from the UK.
>
> You won’t see these figures on road.cc as they send the wrong message.
>
> Official Dutch data here:
>
> <https://swov.nl/sites/default/files/media/media.up/fs_international_fig5.png>

Wait until we OFFICIALLY adopt the Dutch policy that the cyclist is always
innocent.

Re: It’s that claim, again 🙄

<k61m3aF44bkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23750&group=uk.rec.cycling#23750

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
🙄
Date: 26 Feb 2023 18:18:18 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 18:18 UTC

Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
> Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:
>> QUOTE The Netherlands – the world leader for safe cycling infrastructure
>> with a strong bike riding culture – reported the lowest rates of helmet use
>> and the lowest cycling fatality rate per distance travelled. ENDQUOTE
>>
>> The Netherlands has a poor road safety record.
>>
>> For a population of 17m, an annual death toll for cyclists of 207 suggests
>> that much remains to be done in that country.
>>
>> The UK, by way of contrast, has 117 deaths in a population of 68m.
>>
>> Per head, the UK is a massive 8 times safer (to use the dreadful modern
>> vernacular).
>>
>> The UK has nothing to learn from the Netherlands in these matters, but it
>> seems that the Netherlands could learn from the UK.
>>
>> You won’t see these figures on road.cc as they send the wrong message.
>>
>> Official Dutch data here:
>>
>> <https://swov.nl/sites/default/files/media/media.up/fs_international_fig5.png>
>>

> Wait until we OFFICIALLY adopt the Dutch policy that the cyclist is always
> innocent.

I think that a recent court case mentioned on here suggests we are mist of
the way there.

--
Spike

Re: It’s that claim, again 🙄

<ttgguo$310qr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23757&group=uk.rec.cycling#23757

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
🙄
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 20:54:48 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:sxkqymsGXGozpY36KKODq5NCTss=
 by: Brian - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 20:54 UTC

Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:
> Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
>> Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:
>>> QUOTE The Netherlands – the world leader for safe cycling infrastructure
>>> with a strong bike riding culture – reported the lowest rates of helmet use
>>> and the lowest cycling fatality rate per distance travelled. ENDQUOTE
>>>
>>> The Netherlands has a poor road safety record.
>>>
>>> For a population of 17m, an annual death toll for cyclists of 207 suggests
>>> that much remains to be done in that country.
>>>
>>> The UK, by way of contrast, has 117 deaths in a population of 68m.
>>>
>>> Per head, the UK is a massive 8 times safer (to use the dreadful modern
>>> vernacular).
>>>
>>> The UK has nothing to learn from the Netherlands in these matters, but it
>>> seems that the Netherlands could learn from the UK.
>>>
>>> You won’t see these figures on road.cc as they send the wrong message.
>>>
>>> Official Dutch data here:
>>>
>>> <https://swov.nl/sites/default/files/media/media.up/fs_international_fig5.png>
>>>

>> Wait until we OFFICIALLY adopt the Dutch policy that the cyclist is always
>> innocent.
>
> I think that a recent court case mentioned on here suggests we are mist of
> the way there.

Exactly.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: It’s that claim, again 🙄