Must be getting close to town -- we're hitting more people.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: OT: House inflation

SubjectAuthor
* Re: OT: House inflationAndrew
+* Re: OT: House inflationTim Streater
|`- Re: OT: House inflationJim GM4DHJ ...
`* Re: OT: House inflationJim GM4DHJ ...
 `* Re: OT: House inflationPaul
  +* Re: OT: House inflationRod Speed
  |`* Re: OT: House inflationJim GM4DHJ ...
  | `- Re: OT: House inflationRod Speed
  `* Re: OT: House inflationJim GM4DHJ ...
   +- Re: OT: House inflationRod Speed
   +* Re: OT: House inflationAndrew
   |`* Re: OT: House inflationAndrew
   | `* Re: OT: House inflationAndrew
   |  `* Re: OT: House inflationJim GM4DHJ ...
   |   `* Re: OT: House inflationAndrew
   |    `- Re: OT: House inflationJim GM4DHJ ...
   `* Re: OT: House inflationAndrew
    +- Re: OT: House inflationJim GM4DHJ ...
    `* Re: OT: House inflationJim GM4DHJ ...
     `* Re: OT: House inflationAndrew
      `* Re: OT: House inflationTim+
       +- Re: OT: House inflationJim GM4DHJ ...
       `- Re: OT: House inflationAndrew

1
Re: OT: House inflation

<skukni$1ssq$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23446&group=uk.d-i-y#23446

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: OT: House inflation
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 16:18:10 +0100
 by: Andrew - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 15:18 UTC

On 20/10/2021 18:56, Paul wrote:
> On 10/20/2021 4:28 AM, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
>> On 19/10/2021 17:31, Tim+ wrote:
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-58965190
>>>
>>> It’s not often you see a house so totally demolished by a gas explosion.
>>> Windows out, roof off, gables blown off yes, but total demolition is
>>> less
>>> common.
>>>
>>> I wonder what factors made it so devastating in this case?  Just the
>>> volume
>>> of gas?
>>>
>>> Tim
>>>

>> wonder what they were digging up out the back garden ? ...
>
> What's not to like about natural gas ?
>
> https://toronto.citynews.ca/wp-content/blogs.dir/sites/10/2019/05/KYLOC603-519_2019_160912-768x480.jpg
>

>    "A woman in a neighbouring home was also injured by the explosion that
>     damaged 20 other homes. An 11-year-old girl suffered a broken
> collarbone.
>    "
>
> That tells you there was a pretty good shock wave.
>
> I've seen several pictures similar to that. One of the others,
> nine houses were damaged. Sometimes the house next door to
> the splody one, has to be demolished because of structural damage.
>
>    Paul

The concrete basement is intact :-).

One advantage of North American 'shingle' roofing is that
flying shingles do (slightly) less damage than flying concrete
tiles.

Re: OT: House inflation

<itg52iFf8qlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23454&group=uk.d-i-y#23454

From: timstrea...@greenbee.net (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 22 Oct 2021 15:52:50 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 15:52 UTC

On 22 Oct 2021 at 16:18:10 BST, Andrew <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com>
wrote:

> On 20/10/2021 18:56, Paul wrote:

>>> wonder what they were digging up out the back garden ? ...
>>
>> What's not to like about natural gas ?
>>
>> https://toronto.citynews.ca/wp-content/blogs.dir/sites/10/2019/05/KYLOC603-519_2019_160912-768x480.jpg
>>
>> "A woman in a neighbouring home was also injured by the explosion that
>> damaged 20 other homes. An 11-year-old girl suffered a broken
>> collarbone.
>> "
>> That tells you there was a pretty good shock wave.
>>
>> I've seen several pictures similar to that. One of the others,
>> nine houses were damaged. Sometimes the house next door to
>> the splody one, has to be demolished because of structural damage.
>>
> The concrete basement is intact :-).
>
> One advantage of North American 'shingle' roofing is that
> flying shingles do (slightly) less damage than flying concrete
> tiles.

But, like thatch, you have to replace them from time to time. Had I stayed any
longer in the US, I'd have had to consider that for my house.

--
"I love the way that Microsoft follows standards. In much the same manner as fish follow migrating caribou."
- Paul Tomblin, ASR

Re: OT: House inflation

<skus8s$eq2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23477&group=uk.d-i-y#23477

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (Jim GM4DHJ ...)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 18:26:52 +0100
 by: Jim GM4DHJ ... - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 17:26 UTC

On 22/10/2021 16:18, Andrew wrote:
> On 20/10/2021 18:56, Paul wrote:

>>> wonder what they were digging up out the back garden ? ...
>>
>> What's not to like about natural gas ?
>>
>> https://toronto.citynews.ca/wp-content/blogs.dir/sites/10/2019/05/KYLOC603-519_2019_160912-768x480.jpg
>>

>>     "A woman in a neighbouring home was also injured by the explosion
>> that
>>      damaged 20 other homes. An 11-year-old girl suffered a broken
>> collarbone.
>>     "
>>
>> That tells you there was a pretty good shock wave.
>>
>> I've seen several pictures similar to that. One of the others,
>> nine houses were damaged. Sometimes the house next door to
>> the splody one, has to be demolished because of structural damage.
>>
>>     Paul
>
> The concrete basement is intact :-).
>
> One advantage of North American 'shingle' roofing is that
> flying shingles do (slightly) less damage than flying concrete
> tiles.
shingles are crap....go well with american crap houses

Re: OT: House inflation

<skuscd$eq2$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23478&group=uk.d-i-y#23478

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (Jim GM4DHJ ...)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 18:28:45 +0100
 by: Jim GM4DHJ ... - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 17:28 UTC

On 22/10/2021 16:52, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 22 Oct 2021 at 16:18:10 BST, Andrew <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com>
> wrote:

>>> What's not to like about natural gas ?
>>>
>>> https://toronto.citynews.ca/wp-content/blogs.dir/sites/10/2019/05/KYLOC603-519_2019_160912-768x480.jpg
>>>
>>> "A woman in a neighbouring home was also injured by the explosion that
>>> damaged 20 other homes. An 11-year-old girl suffered a broken
>>> collarbone.
>>> "
>>> That tells you there was a pretty good shock wave.
>>>
>>> I've seen several pictures similar to that. One of the others,
>>> nine houses were damaged. Sometimes the house next door to
>>> the splody one, has to be demolished because of structural damage.
>>>
>> The concrete basement is intact :-).
>>
>> One advantage of North American 'shingle' roofing is that
>> flying shingles do (slightly) less damage than flying concrete
>> tiles.
>
> But, like thatch, you have to replace them from time to time. Had I stayed any
> longer in the US, I'd have had to consider that for my house.

used to love listening to all the roofs on fire on the fire department
scanner in Boston during thunder and lightening storms.....

Re: OT: House inflation

<skv19o$qso$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23504&group=uk.d-i-y#23504

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 14:52:00 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 18:52 UTC

On 10/22/2021 1:26 PM, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
> On 22/10/2021 16:18, Andrew wrote:

>>> What's not to like about natural gas ?
>>>
>>> https://toronto.citynews.ca/wp-content/blogs.dir/sites/10/2019/05/KYLOC603-519_2019_160912-768x480.jpg
>>>
>>>     "A woman in a neighbouring home was also injured by the explosion that
>>>      damaged 20 other homes. An 11-year-old girl suffered a broken collarbone.
>>>     "
>>>
>>> That tells you there was a pretty good shock wave.
>>>
>>> I've seen several pictures similar to that. One of the others,
>>> nine houses were damaged. Sometimes the house next door to
>>> the splody one, has to be demolished because of structural damage.
>>>
>>>     Paul
>>
>> The concrete basement is intact :-).
>>
>> One advantage of North American 'shingle' roofing is that
>> flying shingles do (slightly) less damage than flying concrete
>> tiles.
> shingles are crap....go well with american crap houses

Shingles are quite serviceable.

It used to cost about $2000 a side, every fifteen years or so.

You can do shingles over shingles, or you can take a shovel and
shovel them off (shear the roofing nail heads off with the
shovel).

And it's a job you can DIY. Just rent an air compressor at the
local tool shack, a couple air powered nail guns, and away you go.
The truck delivering the shingles, has a crane on the back, and the
truck will even deliver your packs of shingles right up on the roof.

Depending on size of roof, a small crew can do a side in half
a day to a day.

This is an example of a church with a shingle roof. They nailed
planks across the roof, for footrests, for that job. It takes
a hell of a lot of packs of shingles to do a roof like that one.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.6520343,-63.6150587,3a,75y,174.11h,100.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sX8yuOdyXIzAr2umKxGIiGQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Paul

Re: OT: House inflation

<itgustFk088U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23525&group=uk.d-i-y#23525

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 10:13:30 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 23:13 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote
> Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
>> Andrew wrote
>>> Paul wrote

>>> The concrete basement is intact :-).

>>> One advantage of North American 'shingle' roofing is that flying
>>> shingles do (slightly) less damage than flying concrete tiles.

>> shingles are crap....go well with american crap houses

> Shingles are quite serviceable.

Metal decking leaves them for dead.

> It used to cost about $2000 a side, every fifteen years or so.

My metal decking is fine after 50 years.

> You can do shingles over shingles, or you can take a shovel and
> shovel them off (shear the roofing nail heads off with the shovel).

Don’t need anything like that with metal decking, it just pops
off if I need access.

> And it's a job you can DIY.

Just as true of metal decking.

> Just rent an air compressor at the local tool shack, a couple air powered
> nail guns, and away you go.

Don’t need any of that with metal decking.

> The truck delivering the shingles, has a crane on the back, and the
> truck will even deliver your packs of shingles right up on the roof.

Don’t need any of that with metal decking.

> Depending on size of roof, a small crew can do a side in half
> a day to a day.

Much quicker than that with metal decking and one person is fine.

> This is an example of a church with a shingle roof. They nailed
> planks across the roof, for footrests, for that job. It takes
> a hell of a lot of packs of shingles to do a roof like that one.

> https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.6520343,-63.6150587,3a,75y,174.11h,100.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sX8yuOdyXIzAr2umKxGIiGQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Metal decking would have left it for dead and would last much longer too.

Re: OT: House inflation

<sl0dbi$b39$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23547&group=uk.d-i-y#23547

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (Jim GM4DHJ ...)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 08:24:35 +0100
 by: Jim GM4DHJ ... - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 07:24 UTC

that is SO patchy

Re: OT: House inflation

<sl0deu$b39$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23548&group=uk.d-i-y#23548

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (Jim GM4DHJ ...)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 08:26:23 +0100
 by: Jim GM4DHJ ... - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 07:26 UTC

On 23/10/2021 00:13, Rod Speed wrote:
> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote
>> Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
>>> Andrew wrote

>>> shingles are crap....go well with american crap houses
>
>> Shingles are quite serviceable.
>
> Metal decking leaves them for dead.
>
>> It used to cost about $2000 a side, every fifteen years or so.
>
> My metal decking is fine after 50 years.
>
>> You can do shingles over shingles, or you can take a shovel and
>> shovel them off (shear the roofing nail heads off with the shovel).
>
> Don’t need anything like that with metal decking, it just pops
> off if I need access.
>
>> And it's a job you can DIY.
>
> Just as true of metal decking.
>
>> Just rent an air compressor at the local tool shack, a couple air
>> powered nail guns, and away you go.
>
> Don’t need any of that with metal decking.
>
>> The truck delivering the shingles, has a crane on the back, and the
>> truck will even deliver your packs of shingles right up on the roof.
>
> Don’t need any of that with metal decking.
>
>> Depending on size of roof, a small crew can do a side in half
>> a day to a day.
>
> Much quicker than that with metal decking and one person is fine.
>
>> This is an example of a church with a shingle roof. They nailed
>> planks across the roof, for footrests, for that job. It takes
>> a hell of a lot of packs of shingles to do a roof like that one.
>
>> https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.6520343,-63.6150587,3a,75y,174.11h,100.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sX8yuOdyXIzAr2umKxGIiGQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
>>

> Metal decking would have left it for dead and would last much longer too.
what do you mean by metal decking in wagga ?

Re: OT: House inflation

<iti3urFqirfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23574&group=uk.d-i-y#23574

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 20:45:58 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 09:45 UTC

Jim GM4DHJ ... <kinvig.netta@ntlworld.com> wrote
> On 22/10/2021 19:52, Paul wrote:

>>> shingles are crap....go well with american crap houses
>>
>> Shingles are quite serviceable.
>>
>> It used to cost about $2000 a side, every fifteen years or so.
>>
>> You can do shingles over shingles, or you can take a shovel and
>> shovel them off (shear the roofing nail heads off with the
>> shovel).
>>
>> And it's a job you can DIY. Just rent an air compressor at the
>> local tool shack, a couple air powered nail guns, and away you go.
>> The truck delivering the shingles, has a crane on the back, and the
>> truck will even deliver your packs of shingles right up on the roof.
>>
>> Depending on size of roof, a small crew can do a side in half
>> a day to a day.
>>
>> This is an example of a church with a shingle roof. They nailed
>> planks across the roof, for footrests, for that job. It takes
>> a hell of a lot of packs of shingles to do a roof like that one.
>>
>> https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.6520343,-63.6150587,3a,75y,174.11h,100.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sX8yuOdyXIzAr2umKxGIiGQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

> that is SO patchy

That’s because all those prayers have buckled the roof, stupid.

Re: OT: House inflation

<iti459FqjsaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23575&group=uk.d-i-y#23575

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 20:49:24 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 09:49 UTC

Not in wagga.

https://www.cordeck.com/metal-decking/roof-deck/1-5-b-wide-rib-roof-deck/

Re: OT: House inflation

<sl185n$gat$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23637&group=uk.d-i-y#23637

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 16:02:15 +0100
 by: Andrew - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 15:02 UTC

On 23/10/2021 08:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
> On 22/10/2021 19:52, Paul wrote:

>>> shingles are crap....go well with american crap houses
>>
>> Shingles are quite serviceable.
>>
>> It used to cost about $2000 a side, every fifteen years or so.
>>
>> You can do shingles over shingles, or you can take a shovel and
>> shovel them off (shear the roofing nail heads off with the
>> shovel).
>>
>> And it's a job you can DIY. Just rent an air compressor at the
>> local tool shack, a couple air powered nail guns, and away you go.
>> The truck delivering the shingles, has a crane on the back, and the
>> truck will even deliver your packs of shingles right up on the roof.
>>
>> Depending on size of roof, a small crew can do a side in half
>> a day to a day.
>>
>> This is an example of a church with a shingle roof. They nailed
>> planks across the roof, for footrests, for that job. It takes
>> a hell of a lot of packs of shingles to do a roof like that one.
>>
>> https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.6520343,-63.6150587,3a,75y,174.11h,100.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sX8yuOdyXIzAr2umKxGIiGQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
>>

>>     Paul
> that is SO patchy

Looks OK to me Jim.

Across the road Gas+ was 125.7 in 2018 and 116.1 in 2019

Presumably for a gallon, not a litre !

Re: OT: House inflation

<sl18kt$n01$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23640&group=uk.d-i-y#23640

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 16:10:21 +0100
 by: Andrew - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 15:10 UTC

On 23/10/2021 08:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
> On 22/10/2021 19:52, Paul wrote:

>>> shingles are crap....go well with american crap houses
>>
>> Shingles are quite serviceable.
>>
>> It used to cost about $2000 a side, every fifteen years or so.
>>
>> You can do shingles over shingles, or you can take a shovel and
>> shovel them off (shear the roofing nail heads off with the
>> shovel).
>>
>> And it's a job you can DIY. Just rent an air compressor at the
>> local tool shack, a couple air powered nail guns, and away you go.
>> The truck delivering the shingles, has a crane on the back, and the
>> truck will even deliver your packs of shingles right up on the roof.
>>
>> Depending on size of roof, a small crew can do a side in half
>> a day to a day.
>>
>> This is an example of a church with a shingle roof. They nailed
>> planks across the roof, for footrests, for that job. It takes
>> a hell of a lot of packs of shingles to do a roof like that one.
>>
>> https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.6520343,-63.6150587,3a,75y,174.11h,100.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sX8yuOdyXIzAr2umKxGIiGQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
>>

>>     Paul
> that is SO patchy

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.9584453,-0.499107,3a,75y,287.93h,100.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sumcpP3mhgGKPosqJMRWdXg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This house has a roof covered with timber shingles. I knew someone
who lived there for over 20 years. He had the roof re-shingled in
1988 and sold it about 4 years ago and the person who bought it had
a full survey that presumably didn't flag it up. I assume she bought
it without a mortgage though. Lenders don't like non-standard
construction in the UK.

Re: OT: House inflation

<sl193m$t5p$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23641&group=uk.d-i-y#23641

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 16:18:14 +0100
 by: Andrew - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 15:18 UTC

On 23/10/2021 16:02, Andrew wrote:
> On 23/10/2021 08:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

>>> Shingles are quite serviceable.
>>>
>>> It used to cost about $2000 a side, every fifteen years or so.
>>>
>>> You can do shingles over shingles, or you can take a shovel and
>>> shovel them off (shear the roofing nail heads off with the
>>> shovel).
>>>
>>> And it's a job you can DIY. Just rent an air compressor at the
>>> local tool shack, a couple air powered nail guns, and away you go.
>>> The truck delivering the shingles, has a crane on the back, and the
>>> truck will even deliver your packs of shingles right up on the roof.
>>>
>>> Depending on size of roof, a small crew can do a side in half
>>> a day to a day.
>>>
>>> This is an example of a church with a shingle roof. They nailed
>>> planks across the roof, for footrests, for that job. It takes
>>> a hell of a lot of packs of shingles to do a roof like that one.
>>>
>>> https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.6520343,-63.6150587,3a,75y,174.11h,100.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sX8yuOdyXIzAr2umKxGIiGQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
>>>

>>>     Paul
>> that is SO patchy
>

> Looks OK to me Jim.
>
> Across the road Gas+ was 125.7 in 2018 and 116.1 in 2019
>
> Presumably for a gallon, not a litre !

Here you can see the house that was built by a carpenter and
featured on Grand Designs quite recently. It has a zinc roof
and the solar PV panels are stuck onto the panels.

Owner bought the plot without realising that there is a 9 inch
public sewer running under the railway immediately to the North
and under his plot. Caveat Emptor !

Re: OT: House inflation

<sl19bj$t5p$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23642&group=uk.d-i-y#23642

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 16:22:27 +0100
 by: Andrew - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 15:22 UTC

On 23/10/2021 16:18, Andrew wrote:
> On 23/10/2021 16:02, Andrew wrote:

>>> that is SO patchy
>>

>> Looks OK to me Jim.
>>
>> Across the road Gas+ was 125.7 in 2018 and 116.1 in 2019
>>
>> Presumably for a gallon, not a litre !
>>

> Here you can see the house that was built by a carpenter and
> featured on Grand Designs quite recently. It has a zinc roof
> and the solar PV panels are stuck onto the panels.
>
> Owner bought the plot without realising that there is a 9 inch
> public sewer running under the railway immediately to the North
> and under his plot. Caveat Emptor !

Link helps ..

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.9630603,-0.5046132,3a,75y,6.34h,75.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shr3D8PHgADXSk5hD9kjt9w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Re: OT: House inflation

<sl19fi$p0e$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23643&group=uk.d-i-y#23643

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (Jim GM4DHJ ...)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 16:24:35 +0100
 by: Jim GM4DHJ ... - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 15:24 UTC

where ? ...

Re: OT: House inflation

<sl19i5$p0e$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23644&group=uk.d-i-y#23644

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (Jim GM4DHJ ...)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 16:25:59 +0100
 by: Jim GM4DHJ ... - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 15:25 UTC

On 23/10/2021 16:10, Andrew wrote:
> On 23/10/2021 08:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

>>> Shingles are quite serviceable.
>>>
>>> It used to cost about $2000 a side, every fifteen years or so.
>>>
>>> You can do shingles over shingles, or you can take a shovel and
>>> shovel them off (shear the roofing nail heads off with the
>>> shovel).
>>>
>>> And it's a job you can DIY. Just rent an air compressor at the
>>> local tool shack, a couple air powered nail guns, and away you go.
>>> The truck delivering the shingles, has a crane on the back, and the
>>> truck will even deliver your packs of shingles right up on the roof.
>>>
>>> Depending on size of roof, a small crew can do a side in half
>>> a day to a day.
>>>
>>> This is an example of a church with a shingle roof. They nailed
>>> planks across the roof, for footrests, for that job. It takes
>>> a hell of a lot of packs of shingles to do a roof like that one.
>>>
>>> https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.6520343,-63.6150587,3a,75y,174.11h,100.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sX8yuOdyXIzAr2umKxGIiGQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
>>>

>>>     Paul
>> that is SO patchy
>
> https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.9584453,-0.499107,3a,75y,287.93h,100.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sumcpP3mhgGKPosqJMRWdXg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
>

> This house has a roof covered with timber shingles. I knew someone
> who lived there for over 20 years. He had the roof re-shingled in
> 1988 and sold it about 4 years ago and the person who bought it had
> a full survey that presumably didn't flag it up. I assume she bought
> it without a mortgage though. Lenders don't like non-standard
> construction in the UK.
looks too close to the boundary to meet UK Building standards burning
brands and all that .....

Re: OT: House inflation

<sl19l9$p0e$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23645&group=uk.d-i-y#23645

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (Jim GM4DHJ ...)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 16:27:38 +0100
 by: Jim GM4DHJ ... - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 15:27 UTC

all I can see are Rosemary's ...

Re: OT: House inflation

<sl1b0g$1l1g$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23650&group=uk.d-i-y#23650

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 16:50:40 +0100
 by: Andrew - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 15:50 UTC

On 23/10/2021 16:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
> On 23/10/2021 16:22, Andrew wrote:

>>> Here you can see the house that was built by a carpenter and
>>> featured on Grand Designs quite recently. It has a zinc roof
>>> and the solar PV panels are stuck onto the panels.
>>>
>>> Owner bought the plot without realising that there is a 9 inch
>>> public sewer running under the railway immediately to the North
>>> and under his plot. Caveat Emptor !
>>
>> Link helps ..
>>
>> https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.9630603,-0.5046132,3a,75y,6.34h,75.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shr3D8PHgADXSk5hD9kjt9w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
>>
> where ? ...

Says so, top left hand corner of screen (on my pc)

Sussex

Re: OT: House inflation

<sl1b5t$1l1g$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23651&group=uk.d-i-y#23651

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 16:53:33 +0100
 by: Andrew - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 15:53 UTC

On 23/10/2021 16:27, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
> On 23/10/2021 16:10, Andrew wrote:

>>> that is SO patchy
>>
>> https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.9584453,-0.499107,3a,75y,287.93h,100.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sumcpP3mhgGKPosqJMRWdXg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
>>

>> This house has a roof covered with timber shingles. I knew someone
>> who lived there for over 20 years. He had the roof re-shingled in
>> 1988 and sold it about 4 years ago and the person who bought it had
>> a full survey that presumably didn't flag it up. I assume she bought
>> it without a mortgage though. Lenders don't like non-standard
>> construction in the UK.
> all I can see are Rosemary's ...

Who is she ?.

Re: OT: House inflation

<555200693.656697784.820755.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23652&group=uk.d-i-y#23652

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 23 Oct 2021 16:04:34 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 16:04 UTC

Andrew <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> wrote:
> On 23/10/2021 16:27, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

>>> https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.9584453,-0.499107,3a,75y,287.93h,100.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sumcpP3mhgGKPosqJMRWdXg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
>>>

>>> This house has a roof covered with timber shingles. I knew someone
>>> who lived there for over 20 years. He had the roof re-shingled in
>>> 1988 and sold it about 4 years ago and the person who bought it had
>>> a full survey that presumably didn't flag it up. I assume she bought
>>> it without a mortgage though. Lenders don't like non-standard
>>> construction in the UK.
>> all I can see are Rosemary's ...
>
> Who is she ?.

She wot gave her name to small red clay tiles. That’s certainly what seems
to be on all the visible roofs.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: OT: House inflation

<sl1cdv$fa0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23655&group=uk.d-i-y#23655

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (Jim GM4DHJ ...)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 17:14:55 +0100
 by: Jim GM4DHJ ... - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 16:14 UTC

On 23/10/2021 17:04, Tim+ wrote:
> Andrew <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> wrote:

>>> all I can see are Rosemary's ...
>>
>> Who is she ?.
>>

> She wot gave her name to small red clay tiles. That’s certainly what seems
> to be on all the visible roofs.
>
> Tim

indeed

Re: OT: House inflation

<sl1cji$fa0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23657&group=uk.d-i-y#23657

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (Jim GM4DHJ ...)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 17:17:54 +0100
 by: Jim GM4DHJ ... - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 16:17 UTC

sorry didn't think THAT was a house....

Re: OT: House inflation

<sl3nli$16k0$6@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23797&group=uk.d-i-y#23797

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 14:38:58 +0100
 by: Andrew - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 13:38 UTC

On 23/10/2021 17:04, Tim+ wrote:
> Andrew <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> wrote:

>>> all I can see are Rosemary's ...
>>
>> Who is she ?.
>>

> She wot gave her name to small red clay tiles. That’s certainly what seems
> to be on all the visible roofs.
>
> Tim

The two bungalows on either side of the house have clay tiled roofs.
The house definately has a shingle roof. You can see the difference if
you zoom in. Strangely it does not have any 'ridge shingles'.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: OT: House inflation