A lack of leadership is no substitute for inaction.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Carlisle motorist saw red and mowed down teen cyclist on city play area

SubjectAuthor
* Carlisle motorist saw red and mowed down teen cyclist on city play areaswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Carlisle motorist saw red and mowed down teen cyclist onSpike
`- Re: Carlisle motorist saw red and mowed down teen cyclist on cityswldx...@gmail.com

1
Carlisle motorist saw red and mowed down teen cyclist on city play area

<0f60cfdf-9127-47ff-b676-8884dc315db1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23836&group=uk.rec.cycling#23836

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 08:57:53 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Carlisle motorist saw red and mowed down teen cyclist on city play area
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 16:57 UTC

A Carlisle motorist who saw red amid the repeated harassment of his family and ran down a teenager riding a bicycle after driving on to a city play area has been spared immediate prison.

Derek Heggie, 63, snapped on 21st March last year after a brick was hurled through a window of his Harraby home, hitting his leg and showering glass on his dog.

Seeking to apprehend those responsible, Heggie got into his Renault Megane and hit 43mph in a 20mph limit on Petteril Bank Road, forcing other drivers to slow as he reversed before mounting a pavement and travelling on to a children’s play area at Carliol Drive.

Dash-cam footage from his own vehicle was played at Carlisle Crown Court today (wed) and showed two youths on foot running for cover before Heggie ploughed into a third on his bike, causing him to roll on to the bonnet and fall.

“This was a serious offence of dangerous driving,” said prosecutor Kim Whittlestone, who noted Heggie had told a probation officer he “saw red and lost his temper”.

Heggie demanded “get in the car or I will kill you” as he bundled the teen into the Renault and took him to his own home where police were waiting and the youth was handed over. Heggie was arrested and later admitted dangerous driving.

The youth complained of a sore leg but hadn’t provided a police statement.

Heggie’s lawyer, Andrew Gurney, outlined a catalogue of harassment endured by Heggie and his family. He and his wife had been the victims of repeated violent and vile attacks on their home and character amid a feud between his son and another man which had been the subject of previous court proceedings.

There had been repeated vandalism, hate mail and a threat to firebomb the house of Heggie, who had since spent “thousands of pounds” beefing up home security.

Heggie had acted on the day in view of perceived police inaction and “incompetence” to try and end the harassment. “He accepts what he did was wrong,” said Andrew Gurney, defending. “He is truly remorseful. He is a loving family man.”

Judge Richard Archer, suspending a 41-week jail term for 18 months, took into account the background of provocation as he passed sentence. But he told Heggie, of Welsh Road, Carlisle: “Taking the law into your own hands will never be tolerated and can never be allowed to continue.”

Heggie was also handed a 12-month driving ban with an extended re-test requirement.

https://cumbriacrack.com/2023/03/01/carlisle-motorist-saw-red-and-mowed-down-teen-cyclist-on-city-play-area/

Re: Carlisle motorist saw red and mowed down teen cyclist on city play area

<k69fgoFahgjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23838&group=uk.rec.cycling#23838

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Carlisle motorist saw red and mowed down teen cyclist on
city play area
Date: 1 Mar 2023 17:15:04 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 17:15 UTC

[The judge] told Heggie, of Welsh Road, Carlisle: “Taking the law into your
own hands will never be tolerated and can never be allowed to continue.”

But when it came to:

….repeated violent and vile attacks on him, his wife, and their home

…repeated vandalism, hate mail and a threat to firebomb the house…

…where was ‘the law’ then? Apart from being conspicuous by its absence?

--
Spike

Re: Carlisle motorist saw red and mowed down teen cyclist on city play area

<d46b193b-86ba-42f2-9c07-0ffb64b429d7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23843&group=uk.rec.cycling#23843

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 10:03:53 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Carlisle motorist saw red and mowed down teen cyclist on city
play area
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 18:03 UTC

QUOTE: Heggie was also handed a 12-month driving ban with an extended re-test requirement.
ENDS

Was it worth it you child attacker?
Any random kid will do, eh?
TWAT.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Carlisle motorist saw red and mowed down teen cyclist on city play area