This is a good time to punt work.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Highway Code changes one year on: Confusion in communication has created the perfect storm and done little to improve safety for cyclists

SubjectAuthor
* Highway Code changes one year on: Confusion in communication hasswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Highway Code changes one year on: Confusion inBrian
+* Re: Highway Code changes one year on: Confusion in communication hasswldx...@gmail.com

1
Highway Code changes one year on: Confusion in communication has created the perfect storm and done little to improve safety for cyclists

<303dc829-87a7-4868-bfc1-73951fb5ac66n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23894&group=uk.rec.cycling#23894

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 12:18:22 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Highway Code changes one year on: Confusion in communication has
created the perfect storm and done little to improve safety for cyclists
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 20:18 UTC

The communication of the purpose behind the Highway Code changes has been poorly communicated. Historically, there has been tension between cyclists and vehicle drivers and large amounts of that tension is a lack of understanding by both types of road users.

The purpose behind the changes in relation to cyclists was to improve cycle safety and reduce casualties by allowing cyclists to adopt positions that would encourage safer driving by other vehicles.

A good example of this was in relation to the position a cyclist is expected to take on the road. Traditionally this was never included within the highway code but drivers expected them to adopt a position alongside the kerb.

A combination of poor road surfaces and the desire to dissuade vehicles to overtake cyclists led to the Highway Code adopting the position that cyclists can in fact ride in the centre of the road.

Crucially this was intended to apply on quieter roads and in slow-moving traffic or on the approach to junctions.

But a combination of poor communication and misreporting by the media led to headlines such as :

“Drivers fury as bike riders take to the middle of the road”: Daily Mail (link is external)

“New Highway code rule that tells cyclists to pedal in the middle of the lane takes effect today.”: The Sun (link is external)

The fact that the Government had failed to adequately publicise the changes in the months leading up to the new Highway Code created the perfect storm..

In anything, our experience when handling Road Traffic Claims on behalf of both cyclists and other road users is that the tension between the various road users has been exacerbated.
The very nature of the content of the highway code has done nothing to assist this by referring to the “Hierarchy of Road Users.”

Disputes between the various road users have often led to claims that one or the other feel as though they own the road. The creation of a “hierarchy” underscores this tension by validating the principle that some road users are more important than others.

The principle behind the “hierarchy” is actually spot on. The more vulnerable the road user the more protection they need.

But in the same way, they failed to publicise the reasons for the changes and the important safety benefits of the changes. They have also failed to really educated road users on why some need greater protection.

I would argue a greater focus on publicising the urgent need to address the safety issues and the reasons behind the changes - in particular a better briefing of the media – may have tempered some of the misconceptions that have only inflamed tensions on the road.

We haven’t noticed any significant change in the nature of the incidents we see. There is very little evidence to suggest the changes have been adopted by motorists, and whilst cyclists may feel more emboldened to adopt more dominant positions when using the road there is little evidence to suggest this is translating into fewer collisions.

The changes themselves are positive – but they must be followed up with clearer publicity. Even now more can be done to improve the understanding of the changes.

There are huge plans in place within many local councils to adopt longer-term transport strategies to encourage cycling within and around our towns and cities.

My view is that in comparison to structural changes in the way our road network operates the changes to the Highway Code are unlikely to be the catalyst for safer cycling.

But they offer a glimpse into a change in perspective when local authorities plan through transport strategy – with cycling and walking at the forefront of development. In that sense, motorists may be disgruntled to note that the hierarchy of road users is pivotal in those longer-term plans.

We are seeing the adoption of lower speed limits, and within those local transport strategies were are seeing purposeful moves to dissuade motoring in and around residential areas.

https://road.cc/content/blog/highway-code-changes-havent-helped-cyclists-299695

Re: Highway Code changes one year on: Confusion in communication has created the perfect storm and done little to improve safety for cyclists

<ttsi5l$k3tm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23909&group=uk.rec.cycling#23909

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Highway Code changes one year on: Confusion in
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 10:29:09 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:o3UfnfYM9xNwsFLPrfa+9rpogDU=
 by: Brian - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 10:29 UTC

> The communication of the purpose behind the Highway Code changes has been
> poorly communicated. Historically, there has been tension between
> cyclists and vehicle drivers and large amounts of that tension is a lack
> of understanding by both types of road users.

A prime example is the recent Ward case.

The cyclist clearly wasn’t aware PEDESTRIANS are deemed more vulnerable
than cyclists.

Her ignorance led to the destruction of a pedestrians life, the family of a
driver, both of whom were entirely innocent.

Re: Highway Code changes one year on: Confusion in communication has created the perfect storm and done little to improve safety for cyclists

<b6a45f4a-2633-4713-9594-3deea6ded44cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23911&group=uk.rec.cycling#23911

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 02:31:55 -0800 (PST)
created the perfect storm and done little to improve safety for cyclists
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 10:31 UTC

I have made less police reports of close passes since the changes. This could be partly due to the HC changes and partly due to resenting spending hours watching and editing videos and making reports. Commuting at the same time every day probably helps too as some of the safe passes might be from drivers I've previously reported.

Sadly dangerous driving still seems to be as popular as ever and red light jumping is becoming an epidemic with a couple of recent instances of me waiting at green lights while multiple cars jump their red and one Merc overtaking cars already stopped at a red.

https://upride.cc/incident/mercedes-overtakes-stopped-cars-to-jump-a-red... (link is external)

For my part I have made a cencerted effort to stop for peds waiting to cross at junctions (unless I'm being dangerously tailgated) and surprisingly have had no negative reaction from any drivers I've held up while doing so

Re: Highway Code changes one year on: Confusion in communication has created the perfect storm and done little to improve safety for cyclists

<k6hp41FivhvU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24039&group=uk.rec.cycling#24039

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
created the perfect storm and done little to improve safety for cyclists
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 14:48:28 -0600
 by: JNugent - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 20:48 UTC

On 03/03/2023 04:31, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have made less police reports of close passes since the changes. This could be partly due to the HC changes and partly due to resenting spending hours watching and editing videos and making reports. Commuting at the same time every day probably helps too as some of the safe passes might be from drivers I've previously reported.
>
> Sadly dangerous driving still seems to be as popular as ever and red light jumping is becoming an epidemic with a couple of recent instances of me waiting at green lights while multiple cars jump their red and one Merc overtaking cars already stopped at a red.
>
> https://upride.cc/incident/mercedes-overtakes-stopped-cars-to-jump-a-red... (link is external)
>
> For my part I have made a cencerted effort to stop for peds waiting to cross at junctions (unless I'm being dangerously tailgated) and surprisingly have had no negative reaction from any drivers I've held up while doing so

They've been shocked to see a fairy-cyclist stop for *anything at all*!

Re: Highway Code changes one year on: Confusion in communication has created the perfect storm and done little to improve safety for cyclists

<fefa958c-f6c9-445e-ab29-f72bb7becd10n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24040&group=uk.rec.cycling#24040

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 12:49:22 -0800 (PST)
created the perfect storm and done little to improve safety for cyclists
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 20:49 UTC

Don't often agree with you but yes. However as ShutTheFrontDawes points out, it's possible to have a lifetime's driving without ever seeing a copy of the Highway Code. It isn't "the rules" as in its just a summary of and commentary on the actual law, which is what counts.

But yes - if it's important make it law. If not important enough to actually enforce, will "encouragement" do anything?

Re: Highway Code changes one year on: Confusion in communication has created the perfect storm and done little to improve safety for cyclists

<k6hpdoFj3crU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24041&group=uk.rec.cycling#24041

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 4 Mar 2023 20:53:12 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 20:53 UTC

> Don't often agree with you but yes. However as ShutTheFrontDawes points
> out, it's possible to have a lifetime's driving without ever seeing a
> copy of the Highway Code. It isn't "the rules" as in its just a summary
> of and commentary on the actual law, which is what counts.
>
> But yes - if it's important make it law. If not important enough to
> actually enforce, will "encouragement" do anything?

I think you need to look up what the word ‘MUST’ means when used in the
Highway Code.

--
Spike

Re: Highway Code changes one year on: Confusion in communication has created the perfect storm and done little to improve safety for cyclists

<90f42924-0408-4973-986e-303aee6bfbcan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24042&group=uk.rec.cycling#24042

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 12:59:11 -0800 (PST)
created the perfect storm and done little to improve safety for cyclists
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 20:59 UTC

As has been mentioned in previous comments, I've noticed that the "medium close" passes have decreased, they tend to be either decent or "fuck me, that was close". Another phenomenon that I have noticed is cars giving me plenty of room, but giving no fucks whatsoever about oncoming traffic, expecting it to brake or swerve out of their way.

As for giving way to pedestrians at junctions, not enough cars actually do it to give you enough confidence as a pedestrian to even think about stepping out in the road. I’ve been hooted at quite a few times on my bike or whilst driving because I’ve slowed or stopped to give way to pedestrians at a junction.

Re: Highway Code changes one year on: Confusion in communication has created the perfect storm and done little to improve safety for cyclists

<k6i0vtFk7e6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24044&group=uk.rec.cycling#24044

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 4 Mar 2023 23:02:21 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 23:02 UTC

> As has been mentioned in previous comments, I've noticed that the "medium
> close" passes have decreased, they tend to be either decent or "fuck me,
> that was close". Another phenomenon that I have noticed is cars giving me
> plenty of room, but giving no fucks whatsoever about oncoming traffic,
> expecting it to brake or swerve out of their way.
>
> As for giving way to pedestrians at junctions, not enough cars actually
> do it to give you enough confidence as a pedestrian to even think about
> stepping out in the road. I’ve been hooted at quite a few times on my
> bike or whilst driving because I’ve slowed or stopped to give way to
> pedestrians at a junction.

You should have been more careful for what you wished, because it seems you
got it.

--
Spike

Re: Highway Code changes one year on: Confusion in communication has created the perfect storm and done little to improve safety for cyclists

<b055bdba-966a-48c2-a304-9fc19ad9ff62n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24050&group=uk.rec.cycling#24050

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 21:51:58 -0800 (PST)
created the perfect storm and done little to improve safety for cyclists
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 05:51 UTC

I've been doing this as well if I can make eye contact with the ped in good time. I'll check behind me first and occasionally use a slow down hand signal though the amount of drivers that appear to not know that is shocking.

I have noticed more cars giving way to me as a pedestrian, especially when I'm with the kids so I think changes are filtering through. It's just gonna be a long haul for the wilfully ignorant.

In terms of passing, I've seen an improvement in good passes. The proportion of bad passes are about the same and the small number of deliberately murderous fuckers may have even got worse.

One thing I have noticed, and I'd be interested in the views of others, is non-confident drivers being fearful of making a pass. They sit on my arse for ages when a pass is possible. I've occasionally pulled in to let them go because I feel safer with them in front rather than behind.

Re: Highway Code changes one year on: Confusion in communication has created the perfect storm and done little to improve safety for cyclists

<k6j6peFpjmmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24059&group=uk.rec.cycling#24059

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 5 Mar 2023 09:47:27 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 09:47 UTC

> One thing I have noticed, and I'd be interested in the views of others,
> is non-confident drivers being fearful of making a pass. They sit on my
> arse for ages when a pass is possible. I've occasionally pulled in to let
> them go because I feel safer with them in front rather than behind.

You should have been more careful for what you wished.

--
Spike

Re: Highway Code changes one year on: Confusion in communication has created the perfect storm and done little to improve safety for cyclists

<bbca0640-c2b4-41f4-be85-3ec41b5e01b0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24066&group=uk.rec.cycling#24066

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 03:32:22 -0800 (PST)
created the perfect storm and done little to improve safety for cyclists
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 11:32 UTC

Went for a bike ride earlier today. A mile from home, looked behind me, moved to the centre of the lane, stuck my arm out to turn right, got overtaken by a car.

I had assumed that behaviour was taught in driving lessons nowadays.

I'VE SEEN INSTRUCTORS DOING JUST THAT - WAVING THEIR PUPILS PAST CYCLISTS.