True happiness will be found only in true love.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fears

SubjectAuthor
* Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fearsswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fearsBrian
+* Re: Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fearsswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fearsSpike
|`* Re: Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fearsswldx...@gmail.com
| `- Re: Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fearsSpike
+* Re: Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fearsswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fearsSpike
`- Re: Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fearsswldx...@gmail.com

1
Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fears

<2daf2406-2a56-4937-9093-645a377ec3f4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24002&group=uk.rec.cycling#24002

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 05:01:14 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fears
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 13:01 UTC

Bike lane bollards will be partly reinstated along an Edinburgh road just weeks after they were removed following concerns for cyclists’ safety.

Footage, which has emerged online showing motorists driving in the cycle lane and mounting the pavement on Drum Brae North, has led the council to return the defenders along half of the cycleway.

Councillor Scott Arthur, convener of the council’s transport committee, said action had to be taken to improve safety, adding the “lawlessness” displayed by drivers was “depressing to see.”

One city councillor challenged the move however, raising concerns about taking a “hokey-cokey approach” to the scheme.

Councillors agreed to the road layout change in September amid concerns cyclists were “at risk when coming downhill on the steepest section of the hill.”

Officials said cyclists were in danger of colliding with the bollards, originally installed as part of the Spaces for People scheme, if they had to take “evasive action such as if someone was reversing from a driveway..”

They were ripped out in January but the painted cycle lane was kept.

However, locals warned the authority it had become even more dangerous along the stretch without proper separation of driving and cycling space.

The transport committee voted to reinstate the segregation poles on Thursday.

They will only be returned to the section “where issues have been reported and observed” from 56 Drum Brae North to the end of the bike lane, just north of the junction with Barntongate Avenue.

This will cost the council up to £5,000, a report said.

It added the issues reported included “multiple vehicles regularly encroaching into the cycleway” and drivers using the bicycle route as a second lane of traffic.

Removal of the bollards also “made parents feel unable to safely cycle with their children,” the report said.

Videos posted on social media show the cycling space has been treated as another lane for traffic by many drivers since the defenders disappeared.

Dave Sinclair, council transport manager, admitted taking them out was the wrong decision.

He said: “I think we’re clearly revisiting that to manage the risk – we have a duty of care and we have seen the videos.

“I think it’s reasonable that we reinstate the area where we know that driver behaviour is so poor that physical reinstatement is reasonable.”

He added officers would continue monitoring activity to determine if bollards should be reinstated along the rest of the road.

Lib Dem leader Kevin Lang questioned whether the move risked being “piecemeal and premature.”

He added: “I’m a bit worried about this hokey-cokey approach that appears to have been taken with this road.

“I’m worried we’ll be back here again, probably pretty soon with something else, and the hokey-cokey will continue.”

Councillor Lang said “incredibly disruptive” roadworks which have shut Clermiston Road North for several weeks “probably doubled the volume of traffic on Drum Brae North.”

The Conservative’s Christpher Cowdy added there was “fairly calm traffic” on the road before the nearby road closure and suggested this had given rise to an increase in incidents reported to the council.

However, head of placemaking Daisy Narayanan responded that the problem was down to driver behaviour rather than volume of traffic.

Councillor Arthur said: “We’re just accepting there’s an issue here that needs to be addressed.

“I think most people accept that something has to be done here.

“What this is about doing is reinforcing that message to drivers that they shouldn’t be driving in the bike lane and they shouldn’t be driving on the footpath.

https://news.stv.tv/east-central/spaces-for-people-bike-bollards-to-be-reinstated-in-edinburghs-drum-brae-after-cyclists-safety-fears

Re: Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fears

<tu1ka6$193f0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24055&group=uk.rec.cycling#24055

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 08:36:22 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:FEToL7f4Jo7es3dDuPhidPL7aKY=
 by: Brian - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 08:36 UTC

> Bike lane bollards will be partly reinstated along an Edinburgh road just
> weeks after they were removed following concerns for cyclists’ safety.
>
> Footage, which has emerged online showing motorists driving in the cycle
> lane and mounting the pavement on Drum Brae North, has led the council to
> return the defenders along half of the cycleway.
>
> Councillor Scott Arthur, convener of the council’s transport committee,
> said action had to be taken to improve safety, adding the “lawlessness”
> displayed by drivers was “depressing to see.”
>
> One city councillor challenged the move however, raising concerns about
> taking a “hokey-cokey approach” to the scheme.
>
> Councillors agreed to the road layout change in September amid concerns
> cyclists were “at risk when coming downhill on the steepest section of the hill.”
>
> Officials said cyclists were in danger of colliding with the bollards,
> originally installed as part of the Spaces for People scheme, if they had
> to take “evasive action such as if someone was reversing from a driveway.”

As a recent case has shown, cyclists are incapable of controlling their
bikes and are prone to falling off for no reason- even if someone (or
something ) else is blamed.

Clearly this applies to bollards.

Re: Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fears

<k6j6doFpi4oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24057&group=uk.rec.cycling#24057

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 5 Mar 2023 09:41:12 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 09:41 UTC

Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Bike lane bollards will be partly reinstated along an Edinburgh road just
>> weeks after they were removed following concerns for cyclists’ safety.
>>
>> Footage, which has emerged online showing motorists driving in the cycle
>> lane and mounting the pavement on Drum Brae North, has led the council to
>> return the defenders along half of the cycleway.
>>
>> Councillor Scott Arthur, convener of the council’s transport committee,
>> said action had to be taken to improve safety, adding the “lawlessness”
>> displayed by drivers was “depressing to see.”
>>
>> One city councillor challenged the move however, raising concerns about
>> taking a “hokey-cokey approach” to the scheme.
>>
>> Councillors agreed to the road layout change in September amid concerns
>> cyclists were “at risk when coming downhill on the steepest section of the hill.”
>>
>> Officials said cyclists were in danger of colliding with the bollards,
>> originally installed as part of the Spaces for People scheme, if they had
>> to take “evasive action such as if someone was reversing from a driveway.”

> As a recent case has shown, cyclists are incapable of controlling their
> bikes and are prone to falling off for no reason- even if someone (or
> something ) else is blamed.

> Clearly this applies to bollards.

Official data shows that 1 cyclist death in 6 is a Single Vehicle Accident;
no-one else involved.

It doesn’t say much for cycling training.

--
Spike

Re: Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fears

<tu1sfb$1a06o$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24061&group=uk.rec.cycling#24061

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 10:55:39 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:0JgmXRk0zHTALRXA5RU4gDJ5kc4=
 by: Brian - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 10:55 UTC

Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:
> Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
>> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Bike lane bollards will be partly reinstated along an Edinburgh road just
>>> weeks after they were removed following concerns for cyclists’ safety.
>>>
>>> Footage, which has emerged online showing motorists driving in the cycle
>>> lane and mounting the pavement on Drum Brae North, has led the council to
>>> return the defenders along half of the cycleway.
>>>
>>> Councillor Scott Arthur, convener of the council’s transport committee,
>>> said action had to be taken to improve safety, adding the “lawlessness”
>>> displayed by drivers was “depressing to see.”
>>>
>>> One city councillor challenged the move however, raising concerns about
>>> taking a “hokey-cokey approach” to the scheme.
>>>
>>> Councillors agreed to the road layout change in September amid concerns
>>> cyclists were “at risk when coming downhill on the steepest section of the hill.”
>>>
>>> Officials said cyclists were in danger of colliding with the bollards,
>>> originally installed as part of the Spaces for People scheme, if they had
>>> to take “evasive action such as if someone was reversing from a driveway.”
>
>> As a recent case has shown, cyclists are incapable of controlling their
>> bikes and are prone to falling off for no reason- even if someone (or
>> something ) else is blamed.
>
>> Clearly this applies to bollards.
>
> Official data shows that 1 cyclist death in 6 is a Single Vehicle Accident;
> no-one else involved.
>
> It doesn’t say much for cycling training.

Indeed.

Several videos have been posted by cyclists claiming car drivers caused a
cyclist to fall off etc. However, the videos clearly show the cyclist
either lost control, rode into the rear of another bike, or in on case,
stopped and forgot to put their foot down.

Vine recently tried to blame car drivers when a cyclist went through a red
light and caused a collision with another bike. No car was involved.

I believe Vine wears a helmet. Perhaps it is several sizes too small or the
strap is too tight - restricting blood to his brain.

Re: Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fears

<k6jcebFqf3rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24064&group=uk.rec.cycling#24064

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 5 Mar 2023 11:23:55 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 11:23 UTC

Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
> Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:
>> Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:

>>> As a recent case has shown, cyclists are incapable of controlling their
>>> bikes and are prone to falling off for no reason- even if someone (or
>>> something ) else is blamed.
>>
>>> Clearly this applies to bollards.
>>
>> Official data shows that 1 cyclist death in 6 is a Single Vehicle Accident;
>> no-one else involved.
>>
>> It doesn’t say much for cycling training.
>>

> Indeed.
>
> Several videos have been posted by cyclists claiming car drivers caused a
> cyclist to fall off etc. However, the videos clearly show the cyclist
> either lost control, rode into the rear of another bike, or in on case,
> stopped and forgot to put their foot down.

> Vine recently tried to blame car drivers when a cyclist went through a red
> light and caused a collision with another bike. No car was involved.

> I believe Vine wears a helmet. Perhaps it is several sizes too small or the
> strap is too tight - restricting blood to his brain.

LOL!

--
Spike

Re: Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fears

<ce9d3e50-3745-4ba8-a7aa-307cb88046e4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24068&group=uk.rec.cycling#24068

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 03:39:02 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 11:39 UTC

QUOTE: However, head of placemaking Daisy Narayanan responded that the problem was down to driver behaviour rather than volume of traffic.

“What this is about doing is reinforcing that message to drivers that they shouldn’t be driving in the bike lane and they shouldn’t be driving on the footpath. ENDS

"problem was down to driver behaviour" - Who'd have thought that?

Re: Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fears

<k6jenfFqpbiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24072&group=uk.rec.cycling#24072

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 5 Mar 2023 12:02:55 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 12:02 UTC

> QUOTE: However, head of placemaking Daisy Narayanan responded that the
> problem was down to driver behaviour rather than volume of traffic.

> “What this is about doing is reinforcing that message to drivers that
> they shouldn’t be driving in the bike lane and they shouldn’t be driving
> on the footpath. ENDS

> "problem was down to driver behaviour" - Who'd have thought that?

In a recent case, a cyclist on the footway died when she failed to defer in
time to a pedestrian. I didn’t notice a similarly-worded message from you
on that topic. Why do you think that would be?

--
Spike

Re: Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fears

<5ea9c734-df85-4f1d-9c4c-e4a8a5dc2742n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24077&group=uk.rec.cycling#24077

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 04:20:27 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 12:20 UTC

On Sunday, March 5, 2023 at 11:39:03 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE:
> “What this is about doing is reinforcing that message to drivers that they shouldn’t be driving in the bike lane and they shouldn’t be driving on the footpath. ENDS

Driving on the footpath?
No wonder their KSI rate is 22500 per year.

Re: Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fears

<k6jlh5FrqdgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24085&group=uk.rec.cycling#24085

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 5 Mar 2023 13:59:01 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 13:59 UTC

> On Sunday, March 5, 2023 at 11:39:03 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> QUOTE:
>> “What this is about doing is reinforcing that message to drivers that
>> they shouldn’t be driving in the bike lane and they shouldn’t be driving
>> on the footpath. ENDS

> Driving on the footpath?

> No wonder their KSI rate is 22500 per year.

Cyclist KSI is 4464, from a cycling population that’s one-tenth of the
motor-vehicle population.

Pro rata, that would be >44000 KSI for cyclists.

What are they doing about this? Nothing…

--
Spike

Re: Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fears

<566a2e49-794e-44b5-a4c1-38d353f5213en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24090&group=uk.rec.cycling#24090

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 06:56:34 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 14:56 UTC

QUOTE: “I think it’s reasonable that we reinstate the area where we know that driver behaviour is so poor that physical reinstatement is reasonable.ENDS

QUOTE: "driver behaviour is so poor. " ENDS

That's your problem source right there.

Re: Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fears

<k6jvgpFtamoU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24094&group=uk.rec.cycling#24094

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 5 Mar 2023 16:49:29 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 16:49 UTC

> QUOTE: “I think it’s reasonable that we reinstate the area where we know
> that driver behaviour is so poor that physical reinstatement is reasonable.ENDS
>
> QUOTE: "driver behaviour is so poor. " ENDS

> That's your problem source right there.

Judging by a recent case, cyclists aren’t so hot either.

--
Spike

Re: Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fears

<acd45ca2-1427-49eb-8a47-a94299fa04ban@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24095&group=uk.rec.cycling#24095

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 08:55:30 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 16:55 UTC

QUOTE: Videos posted on social media show the cycling space has been treated as another lane for traffic by many drivers since the defenders disappeared. Dave Sinclair, council transport manager, admitted taking them out was the wrong decision. ENDS

So the drivers don't understand the signs and need physical barriers as well?
What a sorry state of affairs that these scofflaws need nannying in order to obey the law.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Bike bollards to be reinstated after cyclists safety fears