In Lexington, Kentucky, it's illegal to carry an ice cream cone in your pocket.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Cargo bike courier rubbishes Bath Conservatives' claim about delivering up steep hills

SubjectAuthor
* Cargo bike courier rubbishes Bath Conservatives' claim aboutswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Cargo fairy-bike courier rubbishes Bath Conservatives' claimJNugent
`- Re: Cargo bike courier rubbishes Bath Conservatives' claim aboutswldx...@gmail.com

1
Cargo bike courier rubbishes Bath Conservatives' claim about delivering up steep hills

<f3464214-3aa6-405e-92cd-2d502be90925n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2403&group=uk.rec.cycling#2403

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 06:48:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Cargo bike courier rubbishes Bath Conservatives' claim about
delivering up steep hills
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 13:48 UTC

If you're going to claim its impossible or impractical to transport your business and supplies by cargo bike in a hilly city like Bath...it's probably not a good idea to dispute the fact with a business that has been doing it for five years.

Bath Conservatives did exactly that and were all too happy to jump in when a Twitter user suggested businesses should ditch their vans and cycle supplies into the Clean Air Zone to avoid charges. They said the idea showed how some in Bath have "literally no idea" how others live.

Anyway, this is where Three Bags Full cargo bikes stepped in to share an article about a London plumber who does 95 per cent of his business by cargo bike. This went down well...

Nice of Three Bags Full to keep the 'we've been doing it for five years' ace up their sleeve until Bath Conservatives had committed to making themselves look silly...

Three Bags Full's website (link is external) says it is 'Cleaner, faster, cheaper - Three Bags Full is Bath’s zero-emissions only mile delivery service' and is on a mission to swap 'the hordes of heavily polluting diesel vans with a fleet of zero-emissions electric cargo bikes'. Amen.

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-25-august-2021-285891#live-blog-item-27309

Re: Cargo fairy-bike courier rubbishes Bath Conservatives' claim about delivering up steep hills

<ion0jbFvdhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2404&group=uk.rec.cycling#2404

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Cargo fairy-bike courier rubbishes Bath Conservatives' claim
about delivering up steep hills
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 14:58:01 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 13:58 UTC

> If you're going to claim its impossible or impractical to transport your business and supplies by cargo fairy-bike in a hilly city like Bath...it's probably not a good idea to dispute the fact with a business that has been doing it for five years.

....if that's what they've been doing.

And there is evidence in the story that they have probably not been
doing that.

> Bath Conservatives did exactly that and were all too happy to jump in when a Twitter user suggested businesses should ditch their vans and fairy-cycle supplies into the Clean Air Zone to avoid charges. They said the idea showed how some in Bath have "literally no idea" how others live.
>
> Anyway, this is where Three Bags Full cargo fairy-bikes stepped in to share an article about a London plumber who does 95 per cent of his business by cargo fairy-bike. This went down well...

I wonder whether mason has ever been to Bath, or, indeed, to Central London?

> Nice of Three Bags Full to keep the 'we've been doing it for five years' ace up their sleeve until Bath Conservatives had committed to making themselves look silly...
>
> Three Bags Full's website (link is external) says it is 'Cleaner, faster, cheaper - Three Bags Full is Bath’s zero-emissions only mile delivery service' and is on a mission to swap 'the hordes of heavily polluting diesel vans with a fleet of zero-emissions *****electric***** cargo fairy-bikes'. Amen.
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/fairy-cycling-live-blog-25-august-2021-285891#live-blog-item-27309

Is an electric fairy-bike a bicycle or a motor-vehicle?

Could "Three Bags Full" carry on their business using human-pedal-power
only for their fairy-cycle delivery vehicles? And even if they tried,
could an average person (not obsessively trained for physical fitness)
do it?

I ask because Bath (a place I know well) is notoriously hilly. Far more
so than Central London is, for instance.

Only if they do not use mechanical aids (including electric motors) can
they credibly claim to be delivering by fairy-cycling.

Re: Cargo bike courier rubbishes Bath Conservatives' claim about delivering up steep hills

<520e2874-97ae-4289-b848-423e618a82aen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2405&group=uk.rec.cycling#2405

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 07:04:01 -0700 (PDT)
delivering up steep hills
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 14:04 UTC

On Wednesday, August 25, 2021 at 2:48:27 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

eburtthebike | 2268 posts | 3 hours ago
11 likes

Priviliged tories explaining to the masses how they don't understand how they live "...literally no idea...."

Does anyone know of a good irony meter repairer?

Log in or register to post comments

brooksby replied to eburtthebike | 7849 posts | 3 hours ago
7 likes

Isn't it a case of "I couldn't possibly do that, therefore nobody can possibly do that"...?

Log in or register to post comments

Secret_squirrel replied to brooksby | 1213 posts | 33 min ago
0 likes

Its literally a case of "I cant imagine ever doing that, so I'll leave to the plebs without bothering to do any fact finding"

You can lead a horse to water etc etc....

Lots of Tory's (other parties too, but the tories are the worst) are a) part of a demographic that desperately wants to live in the past without life changing, as long it it doesnt impact their trough nuzzling or b) willing to fake it to fearmonger to a large chunk of the electorate who either dont like change or are scared by it.

See also a USian Republicans.

Log in or register to post comments

IanMK replied to eburtthebike | 264 posts | 2 hours ago
5 likes

What's the quote; not being able to imagine how things can be done differently is only evidence of lack of imagination. It's not evidence that things can't be done differently. (or something like that).