aus+uk / aus.cars / OT: Fishing gear prices,,,

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Fishing gear prices,,,lindsay
+* Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,Trevor Wilson
|+* Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,lindsay
||+- Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,Trevor Wilson
||`- Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,Daryl
|+* Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,Noddy
||`* Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,Trevor Wilson
|| `* Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,Noddy
||  `* Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,lindsay
||   `* Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,Daryl
||    `* Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,Noddy
||     `- Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,Daryl
|+- Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,Xeno
|`- Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,Keithr0
+- Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,Noddy
`* Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,Daryl
 +- Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,lindsay
 `- Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,Xeno

1
OT: Fishing gear prices,,,

<BafWL.236943$b7Kc.218360@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24056&group=aus.cars#24056

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Subject: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 23:11:59 +1000
 by: lindsay - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 13:11 UTC

a few in here go fishing, so I thought i'd relate some interesting bits....

I went into BCF today in search of the elusive Mustad #12 long shank
hooks, and bought a light sport fishing setup. :-D (fishing tackle to
me is like Astronomy, or cordless tools. A black hole for $$$)

What got me was the prices...Under bro's guidance, I wanted a Shimano
TLD 15 reel, a Shimano Backbone Elite 10kg rod with roller tip, and some
8 strand braid. Bro recommended Diawa 30 lb x 300metres. Not fishing for
Marlin, but kingfish, Sambo's, dhu-fish, possible spanish macks, etc...

BCF :
reel: $269.99 on special down to $229.99
rod : $199.99
line: $79.99
-------
total: $549.97

Motackle (online shop in coffs harbour !!!)

Reel: $204.00
rod: $149.00
line $75.00
------
Total: $428.00

$120 difference! Beauty!!! The best bit is BCF price matches without
batting an eyelid, AND they are going to spool up the reel with backing
and the 300m of braid tomorrow morning at no extra charge.

Now, the wife has given me permission to go fishing in WA whenever i
want, the fishing season for the big 3 (Dhufish, bald chin grouper and
snapper) re-opened in Perth yesterday, i've just gotta find time. Got
easter coming up, and the another trip to the pacific islands...

Pays to shop around, and ask the question! BCF are expensive, but will
match the lowest prices.

Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,

<k8u3i5Fdrt1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24057&group=aus.cars#24057

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 05:32:21 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 19:32 UTC

On 2/04/2023 11:11 pm, lindsay wrote:
> a few in here go fishing, so I thought i'd relate some interesting bits....
>
> I went into BCF today in search of the elusive Mustad #12 long shank
> hooks, and bought a light sport fishing setup. :-D  (fishing tackle to
> me is like Astronomy, or cordless tools. A  black hole for $$$)
>
> What got me was the prices...Under bro's guidance, I wanted a Shimano
> TLD 15 reel, a Shimano Backbone Elite 10kg rod with roller tip, and some
> 8 strand braid. Bro recommended Diawa 30 lb x 300metres. Not fishing for
> Marlin, but kingfish, Sambo's, dhu-fish, possible spanish macks, etc...
>
> BCF :
> reel: $269.99 on special down to $229.99
> rod : $199.99
> line: $79.99
>       -------
> total: $549.97
>
> Motackle (online shop in coffs harbour !!!)
>
> Reel: $204.00
> rod: $149.00
> line $75.00
>      ------
> Total: $428.00
>
> $120 difference! Beauty!!! The best bit is BCF price matches without
> batting an eyelid, AND they are going to spool up the reel with backing
> and the 300m of braid tomorrow morning at no extra charge.
>
> Now, the wife has given me permission to go fishing in WA whenever i
> want, the fishing season for the big 3 (Dhufish, bald chin grouper and
> snapper) re-opened in Perth yesterday, i've just gotta find time. Got
> easter coming up, and the another trip to the pacific islands...
>
> Pays to shop around, and ask the question! BCF are expensive, but will
> match the lowest prices.

**My opinion (FWIW) is that I would have bought the stuff from the guy
in Coffs. I like to support the smaller companies with such purchases,
provided their prices are as good or better than the big companies. If
we all buy stuff from big companies, the smaller companies will wink out
of existence. Competition will disappear and the big guys will dictate
the prices.

Just a thought.

Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,

<IJlWL.260397$Sgyc.225058@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24058&group=aus.cars#24058

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 06:39:01 +1000
 by: lindsay - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 20:39 UTC

On 3/04/2023 5:32 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 2/04/2023 11:11 pm, lindsay wrote:

>> Pays to shop around, and ask the question! BCF are expensive, but will
>> match the lowest prices.
>
> **My opinion (FWIW) is that I would have bought the stuff from the guy
> in Coffs. I like to support the smaller companies with such purchases,
> provided their prices are as good or better than the big companies. If
> we all buy stuff from big companies, the smaller companies will wink out
> of existence. Competition will disappear and the big guys will dictate
> the prices.
>
> Just a thought.

I did think about it, but the thought of any possible warranty claims,
and the rod in transit pushed me towards BCF. And the fact I could see
and feel what I was buying, and that BCF would load the reel. But it was
mainly the warranty side of things...

Recently had a long term issue/argument with a NSW co named Renogy re: a
200ah LiFePo4 battery.
After 3-4 months of them fucking me around, they finally admitted I was
right, and the BMS was faulty. I was expecting to have to send the
defective battery back by freight co to NSW, which would have cost a
motza (dangerous goods). Thankfully they allowed me to just put it aside
and they sent me a new one. That made me think about buying stuff
interstate...

Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,

<u0cso0$2l91t$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24060&group=aus.cars#24060

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 07:40:16 +1000
 by: Noddy - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 21:40 UTC

On 2/04/2023 11:11 pm, lindsay wrote:

> $120 difference! Beauty!!! The best bit is BCF price matches without
> batting an eyelid, AND they are going to spool up the reel with backing
> and the 300m of braid tomorrow morning at no extra charge.
>
> Now, the wife has given me permission to go fishing in WA whenever i
> want, the fishing season for the big 3 (Dhufish, bald chin grouper and
> snapper) re-opened in Perth yesterday, i've just gotta find time. Got
> easter coming up, and the another trip to the pacific islands...

Nice. Enjoy :)

> Pays to shop around, and ask the question! BCF are expensive, but will
> match the lowest prices.

Sounds like the Mitre 10 hardware store here in Bacchus. They're pricey
as fuck for most things, but will instantly drop their price to meet
that of Bunnings.

But only if you ask.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,

<u0ctgf$2leic$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24061&group=aus.cars#24061

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 07:53:16 +1000
 by: Noddy - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 21:53 UTC

On 3/04/2023 5:32 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 2/04/2023 11:11 pm, lindsay wrote:

>> $120 difference! Beauty!!! The best bit is BCF price matches without
>> batting an eyelid, AND they are going to spool up the reel with
>> backing and the 300m of braid tomorrow morning at no extra charge.
>>
>> Now, the wife has given me permission to go fishing in WA whenever i
>> want, the fishing season for the big 3 (Dhufish, bald chin grouper and
>> snapper) re-opened in Perth yesterday, i've just gotta find time. Got
>> easter coming up, and the another trip to the pacific islands...
>>
>> Pays to shop around, and ask the question! BCF are expensive, but will
>> match the lowest prices.
>
> **My opinion (FWIW) is that I would have bought the stuff from the guy
> in Coffs. I like to support the smaller companies with such purchases,
> provided their prices are as good or better than the big companies. If
> we all buy stuff from big companies, the smaller companies will wink out
> of existence. Competition will disappear and the big guys will dictate
> the prices.
>
> Just a thought.

The problem is finding a "little guy" who can offer comparable products
at the same or cheaper prices than the big guys. They generally don't,
as they don't have the buying power or turnover levels as the big guys
to be competitive.

A case in point. There's a little computer shop in Bacchus Marsh here,
and the young bloke who runs the place is a nice guy. But he's stupid
expensive on some items, and to the point of taking the mickey.

The wife works from home 3 days a week, and uses a webcam every day for
meetings. One morning her webcam had stopped working and she urgently
needed a new one as she had a couple of important meetings with some
high level people so I rushed down to the local guy and bought a
replacement.

112 bucks for the camera from him, which got her out of trouble and is
still working fine.

To avoid the situation happening again I thought it best to have a spare
on hand given that he uses it so often, and had a look online to see
what I could find, and I found the *exact* same camera on ebay for 16
bucks.

I understand that this gay has to pay rent and wages and all that, but
that's just thievery given that he would have been buying the things as
cheap or cheaper than the Ebay price. Apparently he's like that with all
his peripherals. His built PC prices are reasonable, but if you want
anything like mice, keyboards, webcams or other extras he rips the piss
out of you to make a bit on the deal.

His choice how he does things, but I haven't been back and won't be. Not
when I can buy the exact same items elsewhere way cheaper than he sells for.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,

<k8ucg4Ff8hkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24062&group=aus.cars#24062

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 08:04:52 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 22:04 UTC

On 3/04/2023 6:39 am, lindsay wrote:
> On 3/04/2023 5:32 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 2/04/2023 11:11 pm, lindsay wrote:
>
>>> Pays to shop around, and ask the question! BCF are expensive, but
>>> will match the lowest prices.
>>
>> **My opinion (FWIW) is that I would have bought the stuff from the guy
>> in Coffs. I like to support the smaller companies with such purchases,
>> provided their prices are as good or better than the big companies. If
>> we all buy stuff from big companies, the smaller companies will wink
>> out of existence. Competition will disappear and the big guys will
>> dictate the prices.
>>
>> Just a thought.
>>
> I did think about it,  but the thought of any possible warranty claims,
> and the rod in transit pushed me towards BCF. And the fact I could see
> and feel what I was buying, and that BCF would load the reel. But it was
> mainly the warranty side of things...
>
> Recently had a long term issue/argument with a NSW co named Renogy re: a
> 200ah LiFePo4 battery.
> After 3-4 months of them fucking me around, they finally admitted I was
> right, and the BMS was faulty. I was expecting to have to send the
> defective battery back by freight co to NSW, which would have cost a
> motza (dangerous goods). Thankfully they allowed me to just put it aside
> and they sent me a new one. That made me think about buying stuff
> interstate...

**All good points. And, related to the touch and feel thing, I do like
supporting bricks and mortar shops. So there is that.

Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,

<k8uflnFf8hkU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24063&group=aus.cars#24063

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 08:59:03 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 22:59 UTC

On 3/04/2023 7:53 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 3/04/2023 5:32 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 2/04/2023 11:11 pm, lindsay wrote:
>
>>> $120 difference! Beauty!!! The best bit is BCF price matches without
>>> batting an eyelid, AND they are going to spool up the reel with
>>> backing and the 300m of braid tomorrow morning at no extra charge.
>>>
>>> Now, the wife has given me permission to go fishing in WA whenever i
>>> want, the fishing season for the big 3 (Dhufish, bald chin grouper
>>> and snapper) re-opened in Perth yesterday, i've just gotta find time.
>>> Got easter coming up, and the another trip to the pacific islands...
>>>
>>> Pays to shop around, and ask the question! BCF are expensive, but
>>> will match the lowest prices.
>>
>> **My opinion (FWIW) is that I would have bought the stuff from the guy
>> in Coffs. I like to support the smaller companies with such purchases,
>> provided their prices are as good or better than the big companies. If
>> we all buy stuff from big companies, the smaller companies will wink
>> out of existence. Competition will disappear and the big guys will
>> dictate the prices.
>>
>> Just a thought.
>
> The problem is finding a "little guy" who can offer comparable products
> at the same or cheaper prices than the big guys. They generally don't,
> as they don't have the buying power or turnover levels as the big guys
> to be competitive.
>
> A case in point. There's a little computer shop in Bacchus Marsh here,
> and the young bloke who runs the place is a nice guy. But he's stupid
> expensive on some items, and to the point of taking the mickey.
>
> The wife works from home 3 days a week, and uses a webcam every day for
> meetings. One morning her webcam had stopped working and she urgently
> needed a new one as she had a couple of important meetings with some
> high level people so I rushed down to the local guy and bought a
> replacement.
>
> 112 bucks for the camera from him, which got her out of trouble and is
> still working fine.
>
> To avoid the situation happening again I thought it best to have a spare
> on hand given that he uses it so often, and had a look online to see
> what I could find, and I found the *exact* same camera on ebay for 16
> bucks.
>
> I understand that this gay has to pay rent and wages and all that, but
> that's just thievery given that he would have been buying the things as
> cheap or cheaper than the Ebay price. Apparently he's like that with all
> his peripherals. His built PC prices are reasonable, but if you want
> anything like mice, keyboards, webcams or other extras he rips the piss
> out of you to make a bit on the deal.
>
> His choice how he does things, but I haven't been back and won't be. Not
> when I can buy the exact same items elsewhere way cheaper than he sells
> for.

**Here's the thing though: Lindsay's little guy in Coffs, undercut BCF
by a very significant amount. BCF then equalled that quote.

As for the computer thing, the guys I used to deal with were
consistently cheaper than anyone else. They've since closed their bricks
and mortar shop. Selling computer stuff is brutal.

Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,

<k8uil8Fg42aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24064&group=aus.cars#24064

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 09:50:00 +1000
 by: Daryl - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 23:50 UTC

On 2/4/2023 11:11 pm, lindsay wrote:
> a few in here go fishing, so I thought i'd relate some interesting bits....
>
> I went into BCF today in search of the elusive Mustad #12 long shank
> hooks, and bought a light sport fishing setup. :-D  (fishing tackle to
> me is like Astronomy, or cordless tools. A  black hole for $$$)

ROTFL, I know exactly what you mean:-)
Every time I walk into my garage I see my rack with the fishing gear and
think that I must go fishing one day but recently I've found too many
other things to do.

> What got me was the prices...Under bro's guidance, I wanted a Shimano
> TLD 15 reel, a Shimano Backbone Elite 10kg rod with roller tip, and some
> 8 strand braid. Bro recommended Diawa 30 lb x 300metres. Not fishing for
> Marlin, but kingfish, Sambo's, dhu-fish, possible spanish macks, etc...
>
> BCF :
> reel: $269.99 on special down to $229.99
> rod : $199.99
> line: $79.99
>       -------
> total: $549.97
>
> Motackle (online shop in coffs harbour !!!)
>
> Reel: $204.00
> rod: $149.00
> line $75.00
>      ------
> Total: $428.00
>
> $120 difference! Beauty!!! The best bit is BCF price matches without
> batting an eyelid, AND they are going to spool up the reel with backing
> and the 300m of braid tomorrow morning at no extra charge.
>
> Now, the wife has given me permission to go fishing in WA whenever i
> want, the fishing season for the big 3 (Dhufish, bald chin grouper and
> snapper) re-opened in Perth yesterday, i've just gotta find time. Got
> easter coming up, and the another trip to the pacific islands...
>
> Pays to shop around, and ask the question! BCF are expensive, but will
> match the lowest prices.

Much like many big retailers.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,

<k8uio7Fg42aU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24065&group=aus.cars#24065

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 09:51:35 +1000
 by: Daryl - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 23:51 UTC

On 3/4/2023 6:39 am, lindsay wrote:
> On 3/04/2023 5:32 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 2/04/2023 11:11 pm, lindsay wrote:
>
>>> Pays to shop around, and ask the question! BCF are expensive, but
>>> will match the lowest prices.
>>
>> **My opinion (FWIW) is that I would have bought the stuff from the guy
>> in Coffs. I like to support the smaller companies with such purchases,
>> provided their prices are as good or better than the big companies. If
>> we all buy stuff from big companies, the smaller companies will wink
>> out of existence. Competition will disappear and the big guys will
>> dictate the prices.
>>
>> Just a thought.
>>
> I did think about it,  but the thought of any possible warranty claims,
> and the rod in transit pushed me towards BCF. And the fact I could see
> and feel what I was buying, and that BCF would load the reel. But it was
> mainly the warranty side of things...

That certainly is worth considering, a lot of times having access to
warranty and service is worth paying more for.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,

<u0d5p0$2migm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24066&group=aus.cars#24066

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 10:14:24 +1000
 by: Noddy - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 00:14 UTC

On 3/04/2023 8:59 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 3/04/2023 7:53 am, Noddy wrote:

>> I understand that this gay has to pay rent and wages and all that, but
>> that's just thievery given that he would have been buying the things
>> as cheap or cheaper than the Ebay price. Apparently he's like that
>> with all his peripherals. His built PC prices are reasonable, but if
>> you want anything like mice, keyboards, webcams or other extras he
>> rips the piss out of you to make a bit on the deal.
>>
>> His choice how he does things, but I haven't been back and won't be.
>> Not when I can buy the exact same items elsewhere way cheaper than he
>> sells for.
>>

> **Here's the thing though: Lindsay's little guy in Coffs, undercut BCF
> by a very significant amount. BCF then equalled that quote.

They did, and good on them. In today's fucked up world, you kind of need
to if you're going to stay in the game.

> As for the computer thing, the guys I used to deal with were
> consistently cheaper than anyone else. They've since closed their bricks
> and mortar shop. Selling computer stuff is brutal.

It is, but then that's the nature of the beast, and if you're not aware
of that going into it then you haven't done your research properly. For
what it's worth I think this guy is well aware, but preys on the
ignorance/laziness of customers to pad out his margins. Caveat Emptor as
they say. I needed a webcam in a hurry and paying an over the mark price
from this bloke was the only way I could get one. But I won't be buying
anything else from him in the future.

I agree with your sentiment though. If local "bricks and mortar"
businesses aren't supported then they'll vanish and all that will be
left will be the big guys who will have a monopoly on prices and rip the
piss out of us. To that end I buy local when I can and don't mind paying
a little extra if it helps local businesses survive.

I'm not paying 8 times the price though, and such businesses can get
fucked :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,

<tJpWL.1927532$iU59.811673@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24067&group=aus.cars#24067

From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 11:11:51 +1000
 by: lindsay - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 01:11 UTC

On 3/04/2023 10:14 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 3/04/2023 8:59 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 3/04/2023 7:53 am, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> I understand that this gay has to pay rent and wages and all that,
>>> but that's just thievery given that he would have been buying the
>>> things as cheap or cheaper than the Ebay price. Apparently he's like
>>> that with all his peripherals. His built PC prices are reasonable,
>>> but if you want anything like mice, keyboards, webcams or other
>>> extras he rips the piss out of you to make a bit on the deal.
>>>
>>> His choice how he does things, but I haven't been back and won't be.
>>> Not when I can buy the exact same items elsewhere way cheaper than he
>>> sells for.
>>>

>> **Here's the thing though: Lindsay's little guy in Coffs, undercut BCF
>> by a very significant amount. BCF then equalled that quote.
>
> They did, and good on them. In today's fucked up world, you kind of need
> to if you're going to stay in the game.

Yep. Money is too hard to come by, without wasting it. Diff between
Motackle and BCF was 25% or $125.. Even Anaconda is $50 cheaper for the rod.

>> As for the computer thing, the guys I used to deal with were
>> consistently cheaper than anyone else. They've since closed their
>> bricks and mortar shop. Selling computer stuff is brutal.
>
> It is, but then that's the nature of the beast, and if you're not aware
> of that going into it then you haven't done your research properly. For
> what it's worth I think this guy is well aware, but preys on the
> ignorance/laziness of customers to pad out his margins. Caveat Emptor as
> they say. I needed a webcam in a hurry and paying an over the mark price
> from this bloke was the only way I could get one. But I won't be buying
> anything else from him in the future.
>
> I agree with your sentiment though. If local "bricks and mortar"
> businesses aren't supported then they'll vanish and all that will be
> left will be the big guys who will have a monopoly on prices and rip the
> piss out of us.

Yep. Like the local hardware stores versus bunnings :-(

To that end I buy local when I can and don't mind paying
> a little extra if it helps local businesses survive.
>
> I'm not paying 8 times the price though, and such businesses can get
> fucked :)

+1.

by the way, I've a correction... Motackle (www.motackle.com.au) does
have a bricks and mortar storefront. They just dont advertise it very
well that i can see. Found the link to it on the bottom of their web
pages, in the corner. I'd have it up the top where it can be seen. :-)

Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,

<ULpWL.1927553$iU59.1754699@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24068&group=aus.cars#24068

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 11:14:27 +1000
 by: lindsay - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 01:14 UTC

On 3/04/2023 9:50 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 2/4/2023 11:11 pm, lindsay wrote:
>> a few in here go fishing, so I thought i'd relate some interesting
>> bits....
>>
>> I went into BCF today in search of the elusive Mustad #12 long shank
>> hooks, and bought a light sport fishing setup. :-D  (fishing tackle to
>> me is like Astronomy, or cordless tools. A  black hole for $$$)
>
> ROTFL, I know exactly what you mean:-)
> Every time I walk into my garage I see my rack with the fishing gear and
> think that I must go fishing one day but recently I've found too many
> other things to do.

likewise. Most of my gear is currently sitting in storage hooks attached
to the rafters in the garage. Currently packing for 2 weeks up the
block. As you say, too many other things...

Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,

<k8uoohFgpl0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24069&group=aus.cars#24069

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 11:34:08 +1000
 by: Xeno - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 01:34 UTC

On 3/4/2023 5:32 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 2/04/2023 11:11 pm, lindsay wrote:
>> a few in here go fishing, so I thought i'd relate some interesting
>> bits....
>>
>> I went into BCF today in search of the elusive Mustad #12 long shank
>> hooks, and bought a light sport fishing setup. :-D  (fishing tackle to
>> me is like Astronomy, or cordless tools. A  black hole for $$$)
>>
>> What got me was the prices...Under bro's guidance, I wanted a Shimano
>> TLD 15 reel, a Shimano Backbone Elite 10kg rod with roller tip, and
>> some 8 strand braid. Bro recommended Diawa 30 lb x 300metres. Not
>> fishing for Marlin, but kingfish, Sambo's, dhu-fish, possible spanish
>> macks, etc...
>>
>> BCF :
>> reel: $269.99 on special down to $229.99
>> rod : $199.99
>> line: $79.99
>>        -------
>> total: $549.97
>>
>> Motackle (online shop in coffs harbour !!!)
>>
>> Reel: $204.00
>> rod: $149.00
>> line $75.00
>>       ------
>> Total: $428.00
>>
>> $120 difference! Beauty!!! The best bit is BCF price matches without
>> batting an eyelid, AND they are going to spool up the reel with
>> backing and the 300m of braid tomorrow morning at no extra charge.
>>
>> Now, the wife has given me permission to go fishing in WA whenever i
>> want, the fishing season for the big 3 (Dhufish, bald chin grouper and
>> snapper) re-opened in Perth yesterday, i've just gotta find time. Got
>> easter coming up, and the another trip to the pacific islands...
>>
>> Pays to shop around, and ask the question! BCF are expensive, but will
>> match the lowest prices.
>
> **My opinion (FWIW) is that I would have bought the stuff from the guy
> in Coffs. I like to support the smaller companies with such purchases,
> provided their prices are as good or better than the big companies. If
> we all buy stuff from big companies, the smaller companies will wink out
> of existence. Competition will disappear and the big guys will dictate
> the prices.
>
> Just a thought.

We here in the land of boating, fishing and camping are spoilt for
choice when it comes to buying gear for the above purposes, and there's
ample competition to keep prices reasonable. We drop in to MoTackle a
lot, last time a few weeks ago when the wife was looking for a "giggle
hat". It's a huge store and if you can't find what you want there, it
likely doesn't exist. Buy our fuel at the Bailey Centre next door. I'm
fortunate that, in peak holiday season, I can get there without putting
a wheel on the Pacific Highway - just come in the back entrance of the
Bailey Centre, park and walk around to MoTackle. The Pacific Highway can
get a bit, um, busy during holiday times.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,

<k8upacFgpl0U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24070&group=aus.cars#24070

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 11:43:39 +1000
 by: Xeno - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 01:43 UTC

On 3/4/2023 9:50 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 2/4/2023 11:11 pm, lindsay wrote:
>> a few in here go fishing, so I thought i'd relate some interesting
>> bits....
>>
>> I went into BCF today in search of the elusive Mustad #12 long shank
>> hooks, and bought a light sport fishing setup. :-D  (fishing tackle to
>> me is like Astronomy, or cordless tools. A  black hole for $$$)
>
> ROTFL, I know exactly what you mean:-)
> Every time I walk into my garage I see my rack with the fishing gear and
> think that I must go fishing one day but recently I've found too many
> other things to do.

Around here we keep a spinning rod and lures in the boot of the car.
Never know when or where you're going to find the perfect spot at the
perfect time to drop a line in. We're heading to Port Macquarie on
Wednesday, the rod will be at the ready. Plenty of perfect fishing spots
between here and there.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,

<k8upoeFh2u8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24072&group=aus.cars#24072

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 11:51:10 +1000
 by: Daryl - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 01:51 UTC

On 3/4/2023 11:11 am, lindsay wrote:
> On 3/04/2023 10:14 am, Noddy wrote:

>>> **Here's the thing though: Lindsay's little guy in Coffs, undercut
>>> BCF by a very significant amount. BCF then equalled that quote.
>>
>> They did, and good on them. In today's fucked up world, you kind of
>> need to if you're going to stay in the game.
>
> Yep. Money is too hard to come by, without wasting it. Diff between
> Motackle and BCF was 25% or $125.. Even Anaconda is $50 cheaper for the
> rod.
>>
>>> As for the computer thing, the guys I used to deal with were
>>> consistently cheaper than anyone else. They've since closed their
>>> bricks and mortar shop. Selling computer stuff is brutal.
>>
>> It is, but then that's the nature of the beast, and if you're not
>> aware of that going into it then you haven't done your research
>> properly. For what it's worth I think this guy is well aware, but
>> preys on the ignorance/laziness of customers to pad out his margins.
>> Caveat Emptor as they say. I needed a webcam in a hurry and paying an
>> over the mark price from this bloke was the only way I could get one.
>> But I won't be buying anything else from him in the future.
>>
>> I agree with your sentiment though. If local "bricks and mortar"
>> businesses aren't supported then they'll vanish and all that will be
>> left will be the big guys who will have a monopoly on prices and rip
>> the piss out of us.
>
> Yep. Like the local hardware stores versus bunnings :-(

The Mitre 10 is about 2.3km from me, Bunnings 17km, local may be more
expensive but a lot closer.
We have a new IGA supermarket about 1km away so walking distance, more
expensive than Coles but we try and go to IGA because we love the idea
of it being so close and convenient.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,

<u0dn92$2rlu3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24075&group=aus.cars#24075

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 15:13:07 +1000
 by: Noddy - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 05:13 UTC

On 3/04/2023 11:51 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 3/4/2023 11:11 am, lindsay wrote:
>> On 3/04/2023 10:14 am, Noddy wrote:

>>> I agree with your sentiment though. If local "bricks and mortar"
>>> businesses aren't supported then they'll vanish and all that will be
>>> left will be the big guys who will have a monopoly on prices and rip
>>> the piss out of us.
>>
>> Yep. Like the local hardware stores versus bunnings :-(
>
> The Mitre 10 is about 2.3km from me, Bunnings 17km, local may be more
> expensive but a lot closer.

Not as close for me, but enough to make me consider going to Wilson's
Mitre 10 before Bunnings. The clincher is that Bunnings will usually
have what I want and be cheaper.

> We have a new IGA supermarket about 1km away so walking distance, more
> expensive than Coles but we try and go to IGA because we love the idea
> of it being so close and convenient.

It's a nice store. Walked through it the other day, and the Deli & fresh
fruit & veggies section is great.

A little pricey though.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,

<k8vdbmFjthfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24076&group=aus.cars#24076

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 17:25:42 +1000
 by: Daryl - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 07:25 UTC

On 3/4/2023 3:13 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 3/04/2023 11:51 am, Daryl wrote:

>>> Yep. Like the local hardware stores versus bunnings :-(
>>
>> The Mitre 10 is about 2.3km from me, Bunnings 17km, local may be more
>> expensive but a lot closer.
>
> Not as close for me, but enough to make me consider going to Wilson's
> Mitre 10 before Bunnings. The clincher is that Bunnings will usually
> have what I want and be cheaper.

Yep.

>> We have a new IGA supermarket about 1km away so walking distance, more
>> expensive than Coles but we try and go to IGA because we love the idea
>> of it being so close and convenient.

> It's a nice store. Walked through it the other day, and the Deli & fresh
> fruit & veggies section is great.

Very happy with it especially being so close, I walked there this
afternoon to buy a couple of things.

> A little pricey though.

A bit but not over the top if you only need the basics.
We have had pizza from the new shop and rather liked it, certainly worth
a try, the new Indian restaurant looks interesting, hopefully it will
open soon.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: Fishing gear prices,,,

<k9q9gdFpqptU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24082&group=aus.cars#24082

From: nothing....@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 22:05:39 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 12:05 UTC

On 3/04/2023 5:32 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

> **My opinion (FWIW) is that I would have bought the stuff from the guy
> in Coffs. I like to support the smaller companies with such purchases,
> provided their prices are as good or better than the big companies. If
> we all buy stuff from big companies, the smaller companies will wink out
> of existence. Competition will disappear and the big guys will dictate
> the prices.
>
> Just a thought.

It may be worth noting though that BCF support Marine Rescue in NSW and
QLD (don't know about Vic) so some of your money goes to good cause.