One big pile is better than two little piles. -- Arlo Guthrie

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't Be Driving Either

SubjectAuthor
* Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't BeBret Cahill
+* Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't BeJNugent
|+* Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't BeBret Cahill
||`- Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't BeTom.Smith
|`* Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't BeTom.Smith
| `* Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't BeJNugent
|  `* Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't BeTom.Smith
|   `* Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't Be Driving EithRichard Cranium
|    `* Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't Beswldx...@gmail.com
|     +- Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't BeBret Cahill
|     `- Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't BeJNugent
`- Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't BeBret Cahill

1
Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't Be Driving Either

<424ec599-6b2c-4eee-9aac-26d10affd4b3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1751&group=uk.rec.cycling#1751

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 08:47:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't Be
Driving Either
From: bretcah...@aol.com (Bret Cahill)
 by: Bret Cahill - Fri, 16 Jul 2021 15:47 UTC

Not long after hitting it big Musk buys an exxa flop computer -- the fifth most powerful super computer in the world -- intending to use AI to work on self driving.

A few days later I post its not an AI problem. They need to at least _look_ like they have a fail safe approach.

A few days after that the Biden Administration promulgates a restriction on self driving targeting Tesla.

A few days after that Musk admits it's not a trivial problem.

It may eventually be possible to conclude one or more things from these attempts at self driving:

1. All motorists must switch to self driving at the same time, analogous to Sweden switching to the right side of the road.

2. Even if self driving is better than most motorists that may not be good enough.

3. Motorists should never have been on most busy city streets in the first place.

Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't Be Driving Either

<ildpbaF4diaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1752&group=uk.rec.cycling#1752

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Driving Either
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 17:10:18 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 16 Jul 2021 16:10 UTC

On 16/07/2021 04:47 pm, Bret Cahill wrote:

> Not long after hitting it big Musk buys an exxa flop computer -- the fifth most powerful super computer in the world -- intending to use AI to work on self driving.
>
> A few days later I post its not an AI problem. They need to at least _look_ like they have a fail safe approach.
>
> A few days after that the Biden Administration promulgates a restriction on self driving targeting Tesla.
>
> A few days after that Musk admits it's not a trivial problem.
>
> It may eventually be possible to conclude one or more things from these attempts at self driving:
>
> 1. All motorists must switch to self driving at the same time, analogous to Sweden switching to the right side of the road.
>
> 2. Even if self driving is better than most motorists that may not be good enough.
>
> 3. Motorists should never have been on most busy city streets in the first place.

What's a "busy city street" and if "motorists" shouldn't be on them, who
should (other than pedestrians)?

PS: Other top IT companies are working on the same (type of) project.

Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't Be Driving Either

<5c975432-060a-4f4c-b231-1483d2136736n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1754&group=uk.rec.cycling#1754

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 10:25:08 -0700 (PDT)
Driving Either
From: bretcah...@aol.com (Bret Cahill)
 by: Bret Cahill - Fri, 16 Jul 2021 17:25 UTC

> > Not long after hitting it big Musk buys an exxa flop computer -- the fifth most powerful super computer in the world -- intending to use AI to work on self driving.
> >
> > A few days later I post its not an AI problem. They need to at least _look_ like they have a fail safe approach.
> >
> > A few days after that the Biden Administration promulgates a restriction on self driving targeting Tesla.
> >
> > A few days after that Musk admits it's not a trivial problem.
> >
> > It may eventually be possible to conclude one or more things from these attempts at self driving:
> >
> > 1. All motorists must switch to self driving at the same time, analogous to Sweden switching to the right side of the road.
> >
> > 2. Even if self driving is better than most motorists that may not be good enough.
> >
> > 3. Motorists should never have been on most busy city streets in the first place.
> What's a "busy city street"

One that cannot be made safe even with an exxa flop driving the car.

If an exxa flop cannot do it how is a human going to do it?

All the threshold numbers and a fortiori arguments will spill out of this research.

>and if "motorists" shouldn't be on them, who
> should (other than pedestrians)?

> PS: Other top IT companies are working on the same (type of) project.

They need to get together and form a trade association like every other industry and agree on a serialized reflector like device companies agreeing on USB connectors.

Then they need to contact @secretarypete and his counterparts in other countries and tell them to install these reflectors in the freeways.

Criminal middle school kids are more civic minded than the self driving industry.

Libertarian self driving is as much an absurdity as a libertarian city and for the same reason.

Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't Be Driving Either

<scuota$1uev$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1757&group=uk.rec.cycling#1757

From: tom.smit...@outlook.com (Tom.Smith)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Driving Either
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 15:19:23 +0100
 by: Tom.Smith - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 14:19 UTC

On 16/07/2021 18:25, Bret Cahill wrote:

>>> Not long after hitting it big Musk buys an exxa flop computer -- the fifth most powerful super computer in the world -- intending to use AI to work on self driving.
>>>
>>> A few days later I post its not an AI problem. They need to at least _look_ like they have a fail safe approach.
>>>
>>> A few days after that the Biden Administration promulgates a restriction on self driving targeting Tesla.
>>>
>>> A few days after that Musk admits it's not a trivial problem.
>>>
>>> It may eventually be possible to conclude one or more things from these attempts at self driving:
>>>
>>> 1. All motorists must switch to self driving at the same time, analogous to Sweden switching to the right side of the road.
>>>
>>> 2. Even if self driving is better than most motorists that may not be good enough.
>>>
>>> 3. Motorists should never have been on most busy city streets in the first place.
>> What's a "busy city street"
>
> One that cannot be made safe even with an exxa flop driving the car.
>
> If an exxa flop cannot do it how is a human going to do it?
>
> All the threshold numbers and a fortiori arguments will spill out of this research.

Why not?

One presumes the super computer's purpose is to discover AI techniques
to be used in self driving cars. As opposed to being required hardware
need to run the AI techniques in a production car.

>> and if "motorists" shouldn't be on them, who
>> should (other than pedestrians)?
>
>> PS: Other top IT companies are working on the same (type of) project.
>
> They need to get together and form a trade association like every other industry and agree on a serialized reflector like device companies agreeing on USB connectors.
>
> Then they need to contact @secretarypete and his counterparts in other countries and tell them to install these reflectors in the freeways.

If they wanted to take that route, would it not be better to try it on
railways.

At present the industry appear to be hoping there are cheaper solutions.

Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't Be Driving Either

<scup4r$1eo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1758&group=uk.rec.cycling#1758

From: tom.smit...@outlook.com (Tom.Smith)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Driving Either
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 15:23:24 +0100
 by: Tom.Smith - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 14:23 UTC

On 16/07/2021 17:10, JNugent wrote:

> What's a "busy city street" and if "motorists" shouldn't be on them, who
> should (other than pedestrians)?

Bikes, scooters, milk floats (not Ernie's one), etc.

Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't Be Driving Either

<ilgf50Fk1fsU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1759&group=uk.rec.cycling#1759

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Driving Either
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 17:34:41 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 16:34 UTC

On 17/07/2021 03:23 pm, Tom.Smith wrote:

> On 16/07/2021 17:10, JNugent wrote:
>
>> What's a "busy city street" and if "motorists" shouldn't be on them,
>> who should (other than pedestrians)?
>
> Bikes, scooters, milk floats (not Ernie's one), etc.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, I suppose, no matter how silly and
self-centred.

Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't Be Driving Either

<scv48l$mns$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1760&group=uk.rec.cycling#1760

From: tom.smit...@outlook.com (Tom.Smith)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Driving Either
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 18:33:10 +0100
 by: Tom.Smith - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 17:33 UTC

On 17/07/2021 17:34, JNugent wrote:
> On 17/07/2021 03:23 pm, Tom.Smith wrote:
>
>> On 16/07/2021 17:10, JNugent wrote:
>>
>>> What's a "busy city street" and if "motorists" shouldn't be on them,
>>> who should (other than pedestrians)?
>>
>> Bikes, scooters, milk floats (not Ernie's one), etc.
>
> Everyone's entitled to an opinion, I suppose, no matter how silly and
> self-centred.

What a grumpy fellow, I thought I might at least get a smile for the
Benny Hill reference :-(

Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't Be Driving Either

<scvao7$4hm$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1761&group=uk.rec.cycling#1761

From: richardc...@solani.com (Richard Cranium)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't Be Driving Either
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 20:23:44 +0100
 by: Richard Cranium - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 19:23 UTC

Tom.Smith wrote:
> On 17/07/2021 17:34, JNugent wrote:

>>> Bikes, scooters, milk floats (not Ernie's one), etc.
>>
>> Everyone's entitled to an opinion, I suppose, no matter how silly and
>> self-centred.
>
> What a grumpy fellow, I thought I might at least get a smile for the
> Benny Hill reference :-(

Try posting something sensible. I know that this is difficult for all
cyclists as they have a very low IQ.

Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't Be Driving Either

<338865f4-73db-412e-9c50-794ed129f339n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1762&group=uk.rec.cycling#1762

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 14:04:56 -0700 (PDT)
Driving Either
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 21:04 UTC

On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 8:23:54 PM UTC+1, Richard Cranium wrote:

> Try posting something sensible. I know that this is difficult for all
> cyclists as they have a very low IQ.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cycling/cyclists-are-more-intelligent-charitable-and-cool-average-person-says-study-9051434.html

Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't Be Driving Either

<826a10a0-edb6-4b3c-b1a1-45fe796c57e2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1763&group=uk.rec.cycling#1763

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 20:22:18 -0700 (PDT)
Driving Either
From: bretcah...@aol.com (Bret Cahill)
 by: Bret Cahill - Sun, 18 Jul 2021 03:22 UTC

> > Try posting something sensible. I know that this is difficult for all
> > cyclists as they have a very low IQ.
> https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cycling/cyclists-are-more-intelligent-charitable-and-cool-average-person-says-study-9051434.html

The brain doesn't work without O2.

Einstein got some of his ideas cycling.

Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't Be Driving Either

<7d208752-ad2f-4067-86b5-49e433348cebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1764&group=uk.rec.cycling#1764

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 21:01:51 -0700 (PDT)
Driving Either
From: bretcah...@aol.com (Bret Cahill)
 by: Bret Cahill - Sun, 18 Jul 2021 04:01 UTC

The great thing about Musk is he is open minded to a little adult supervision.

Some laugh at this but it's actually the right approach.

Engineers should be free to come up with ideas, bad as well as good, because you need to go through a thousand bad ideas to get one good idea.

But if the fun starts to become a danger to society, then an adult needs to step in.

Bret: "They have this really great idea in _Mechanical Engineering_. Install boiler tubing at the top of a salt dome, pile up a few hundred feet of overburden on top, then set off a thermo nuke every 20 minutes and you have fusion power!"

Climate scientist: "WHAT ARE YOU GUYS THINKING?"

Bret (walking back): The article is valuable to show that fusion power is technically possible right now. No one suggested it would be easy to get permits to set off H Bombs under folks' homes 24/7. You know how gratuitously persnickity some of these home owners associations can get . . ."

Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't Be Driving Either

<ionvpbF6p7sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2413&group=uk.rec.cycling#2413

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Driving Either
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 23:50:19 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 22:50 UTC

> On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 8:23:54 PM UTC+1, Richard Cranium wrote:
>
>> Try posting something sensible. I know that this is difficult for all
>> fairy-cyclists as they have a very low IQ.
>
> https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cycling/fairy-cyclists-are-more-intelligent-charitable-and-cool-average-person-says-study-9051434.html

A "study" conducted among fairy-cyclists?

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Efforts At Self Driving May Unwitting Prove Humans Shouldn't Be Driving Either