Don't be overly suspicious where it's not warranted.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: “Lawless” motorists driving in cycle lane force council to reinstall bollards – just weeks after they were removed

SubjectAuthor
* “Lawless” motorists driving in cycle lane forceswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: “Lawless” motorists driving in fairJNugent
+* Re: “Lawless” motorists driving in cycle lane foswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: “Lawless” motoristsSpike
`- Re: “Lawless” motorists driving in cycle lane foswldx...@gmail.com

1
“Lawless” motorists driving in cycle lane force council to reinstall bollards – just weeks after they were removed

<0a05856c-2aeb-49b1-a71f-5233f7adf26fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24115&group=uk.rec.cycling#24115

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 12:09:28 -0800 (PST)
Subject: “Lawless”_motorists_driving_in_cycle_lane_force_
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 20:09 UTC

Cycle lane bollards will be partly reinstated on an Edinburgh road just weeks after they were taken away, after councillors criticised the ‘depressing lawlessness’ of motorists who capitalised on the bollards’ removal by continuously driving in the now unprotected cycle lane..

In September, the City of Edinburgh Council agreed to remove the bollards on Drum Brae North due to safety concerns for cyclists “at risk when coming downhill on the steepest section of the hill”.

Councillors claimed that people using the segregated cycle lane, installed during the Covid-19 pandemic as part of the city’s Spaces for People scheme, were in danger of colliding with the bollards if forced to take “evasive action such as if someone was reversing from a driveway”.

However, since the bollards were removed in January, images and videos have been posted on social media of drivers treating the cycle lane like another lane of motor traffic, with one motorist even filmed driving along the bike lane before mounting the pavement, almost hitting a child.

According to the Edinburgh Evening News (link is external), locals have warned the council that, despite the authority’s apparent aim to reduce the threat posed to people on bikes on Drum Brae North, the road has become even more dangerous in recent weeks thanks to the lack of protection for cyclists.

Labour councillor Scott Arthur, the city council’s transport convenor, said action had to be taken to improve safety on the road, and that the “lawlessness” displayed by drivers in the area was “depressing to see”.

A report by the council’s transport committee found that residents had witnessed “multiple vehicles regularly encroaching into the cycleway”, while the removal of the bollards had “made parents feel unable to safely cycle with their children”.

Following the report, the committee voted on Thursday to reinstall the bollards – but only along half of the cycleway, in the section where, the council says, “issues have been reported and observed”.

The council’s transport manager, Dave Sinclair, admitted taking the bollards out was the wrong decision, and that officers would continue to monitor the road to determine whether they should be reinstated along the entire length of the cycleway.

“I think we’re clearly revisiting that to manage the risk – we have a duty of care and we have seen the videos,” Sinclair said.

“I think it’s reasonable that we reinstate the area where we know that driver behaviour is so poor that physical reinstatement is reasonable.”

However, Liberal Democrat council leader Kevin Lang questioned the “piecemeal and premature” reinstallation of the bollards, which he claimed represents the “hokey-cokey approach that appears to have been taken with this road”.

“I’m worried we’ll be back here again, probably pretty soon with something else, and the hokey-cokey will continue,” he said, before pointing out that “incredibly disruptive” roadworks elsewhere had “probably doubled” the volume of traffic on Drum Brae North in recent weeks.

Conservative councillor Christopher Cowdy echoed Lang’s analysis by suggesting that the closure of Clermiston Road was behind the increase in incidents reported to the council, a claim which prompted head of placemaking Daisy Narayanan to point out that the problem owed more to poor driver behaviour than the volume of traffic on the road.

“We’re just accepting there’s an issue here that needs to be addressed. I think most people accept that something has to be done here,” added Arthur.

“What this is about doing is reinforcing that message to drivers that they shouldn’t be driving in the bike lane and they shouldn’t be driving on the footpath.”

The desire to blame external factors on poor driving isn’t new in Edinburgh. Last year, residents on the city’s Lanark Road – a road notorious for cycling-related casualties – blamed the increase in the number of collisions involving motorists in the area on the recently installed cycle lane.

The Lanark Road cycle lanes continued to fuel the anger of motorists throughout 2022, with members of a nearby golf club starting a petition last February to have the bike lane removed – so they could park their cars on it.

Meanwhile, Scottish Conservative MSP Sue Webber came in for criticism in June after she claimed that a school bike bus on the Lanark Road was set up simply to score political points, as a public consultation over Edinburgh’s much-debated Spaces for People scheme drew to a close.

https://road.cc/content/news/lawless-motorists-cycle-lane-see-bollards-return-299747

Re: “Lawless” motorists driving in fairy-cycle lane force council to reinstall bollards – just weeks after they were removed

<k6keljF12euU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24126&group=uk.rec.cycling#24126

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_“Lawless”_motorists_driving_in_fair
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 15:08:31 -0600
 by: JNugent - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 21:08 UTC

On 05/03/2023 14:09, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Fairy-cycle lane bollards will be partly reinstated on an Edinburgh road just weeks after they were taken away, after councillors criticised the ‘depressing lawlessness’ of motorists who capitalised on the bollards’ removal by continuously driving in the now unprotected cycle lane.
>
> In September, the City of Edinburgh Council agreed to remove the bollards on Drum Brae North due to safety concerns for fairy-cyclists “at risk when coming downhill on the steepest section of the hill”.

Why? Do NONE of their fairy-cycles have brakes?

Re: “Lawless” motorists driving in cycle lane force council to reinstall bollards – just weeks after they were removed

<a91bce82-9800-496b-89f9-6045de441464n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24135&group=uk.rec.cycling#24135

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 22:38:19 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re:_“Lawless”_motorists_driving_in_cycle_lane_fo
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 06:38 UTC

eburtthebike | 4129 posts | 8 hours ago
3 likes

While it's good that they acknowledge the illegal, inconsiderate and dangerous driving, why haven't they prosecuted the drivers? They questioned each driver, but as each driver couldn't remember committing the offence, there was nothing Police Scotland could do.

Re: “Lawless” motorists driving in cycle lane fo rce council to reinstall bollards – just weeks after they were removed

<k6lpujF7c0rU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24144&group=uk.rec.cycling#24144

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: “Lawless” motorists
Date: 6 Mar 2023 09:26:43 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 09:26 UTC

> eburtthebike | 4129 posts | 8 hours ago
> 3 likes

> While it's good that they acknowledge the illegal, inconsiderate and
> dangerous driving, why haven't they prosecuted the drivers? They
> questioned each driver, but as each driver couldn't remember committing
> the offence, there was nothing Police Scotland could do.

Are drivers learning from cyclists?

--
Spike

Re: “Lawless” motorists driving in cycle lane force council to reinstall bollards – just weeks after they were removed

<6d0d1af5-b39a-4dd6-9623-f6d936ac4027n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24153&group=uk.rec.cycling#24153

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 03:23:29 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 11:23 UTC

"with one motorist even filmed driving along the bike lane before mounting the pavement, almost hitting a child."

OOO ooo I know the answer to this one Bob.

Is it " Pull your finger out ScotPlod and deploy a video upload portal before someone dies".