From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Rotherham Central rail station shut over flooding fears
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 12:57:59 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 12:57 UTC

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-60453107>
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Rotherham Central rail station shut over flooding fears

<E7sUYduzakEiFAgd@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24189&group=uk.railway#24189

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 13:48:35 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 13:48 UTC

In message <sutdso$jib$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:57:59 on Sun, 20 Feb
2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

><https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-60453107>

"Network Rail apologised for the disruption to passengers and said the
decision to close the station was a "pre-emptive" one.

"Floodwater can dislodge ballast, the stones which support the track,
and cause damage to lineside electrical equipment," the agency said.

<Thread convergence> So it's not just the Daily Mail that calls ballast,
stones.

In other news: <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-
20485539> so perhaps another of those 50yr events happening twice a
decade?

Sorry, three times: <https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/transport/roth
erham-central-station-reopen-friday-morning-after-flood-water-reached-
platforms-1747439>
--
Roland Perry

Re: Rotherham Central rail station shut over flooding fears

<sutin5$ld4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24197&group=uk.railway#24197

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 14:20:21 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:FbelubH/BdnKHmVCGVEGjNNrTXY=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 14:20 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <sutdso$jib$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:57:59 on Sun, 20 Feb
> 2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>
>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-60453107 " rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-60453107>
>
> "Network Rail apologised for the disruption to passengers and said the
> decision to close the station was a "pre-emptive" one.

> "Floodwater can dislodge ballast, the stones which support the track,
> and cause damage to lineside electrical equipment," the agency said.
>
> <Thread convergence> So it's not just the Daily Mail that calls ballast,
> stones.
>
> In other news: <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-
> 20485539> so perhaps another of those 50yr events happening twice a
> decade?
>
> Sorry, three times: <https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/transport/roth
> erham-central-station-reopen-friday-morning-after-flood-water-reached-
> platforms-1747439>

It's literally right next to the river
<https://goo.gl/maps/d1JsWiGBFzcHtYee7>; I suspect that the solution will
rest with the river authorities rather than the railway.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Rotherham Central rail station shut over flooding fears

<RqsPkfnqToEiFwzJ@ku.gro.lloiff>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24224&group=uk.railway#24224

From: bull...@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 18:14:02 +0000
 by: Adrian - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 18:14 UTC

In message <sutin5$ld4$1@dont-email.me>, Anna Noyd-Dryver
<anna@noyd-dryver.com> writes
>It's literally right next to the river
><https://goo.gl/maps/d1JsWiGBFzcHtYee7>; I suspect that the solution will
>rest with the river authorities rather than the railway.

And was originally the course of a canal, the canal was re-routed when
the railway was built.

Has all the passenger infrastructure at Rotherham Masborough been
removed ?

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Re: Rotherham Central rail station shut over flooding fears

<suueib$hdo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24240&group=uk.railway#24240

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 22:14:43 -0000
 by: NY - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 22:14 UTC

"Adrian" <bulleid@ku.gro.lioff> wrote in message
> In message <sutin5$ld4$1@dont-email.me>, Anna Noyd-Dryver
> <anna@noyd-dryver.com> writes
>>It's literally right next to the river
>><https://goo.gl/maps/d1JsWiGBFzcHtYee7>; I suspect that the solution will
>>rest with the river authorities rather than the railway.

I wonder if the problem is the track itself being under water, or the
cabling for signals/points being waterlogged and hence shorting.

> And was originally the course of a canal, the canal was re-routed when the
> railway was built.
>
> Has all the passenger infrastructure at Rotherham Masborough been removed
> ?

I thought the platforms had gone but https://goo.gl/maps/R38PhEYH5KCGzEgK7
shows them still there, rather overgrown and with no footbridge access to
the roads or to the bricked-up buildings. I suppose in times of dire
emergency they could use the platform closest to the buildings and create a
gap in the fencing, but that wouldn't work for Leeds/Wakefield-Sheffield
trains... The building on the road side (as opposed to the rail side) has
been nicely renovated as a restaurant.

Re: Rotherham Central rail station shut over flooding fears

<J6jJQE0X9sEiFwxI@ku.gro.lloiff>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24241&group=uk.railway#24241

From: bull...@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 23:31:35 +0000
 by: Adrian - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 23:31 UTC

In message <suueib$hdo$1@dont-email.me>, NY <me@privacy.invalid> writes
>I thought the platforms had gone but
>https://goo.gl/maps/R38PhEYH5KCGzEgK7 shows them still there, rather
>overgrown and with no footbridge access to the roads or to the
>bricked-up buildings. I suppose in times of dire emergency they could
>use the platform closest to the buildings and create a gap in the
>fencing, but that wouldn't work for Leeds/Wakefield-Sheffield trains...
>The building on the road side (as opposed to the rail side) has been
>nicely renovated as a restaurant.

What has changed with the track layout ? I can remember when all
services stopped at Masborough. Having said that, the Doncaster trains
used to run through Kilnhurst, which now seems to be single tracked.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.

Re: Rotherham Central rail station shut over flooding fears

<suvm4n$k2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24267&group=uk.railway#24267

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 09:30:22 -0000
 by: NY - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 09:30 UTC

> In message <suueib$hdo$1@dont-email.me>, NY <me@privacy.invalid> writes
>>I thought the platforms had gone but https://goo.gl/maps/R38PhEYH5KCGzEgK7
>>shows them still there, rather overgrown and with no footbridge access to
>>the roads or to the bricked-up buildings. I suppose in times of dire
>>emergency they could use the platform closest to the buildings and create
>>a gap in the fencing, but that wouldn't work for Leeds/Wakefield-Sheffield
>>trains... The building on the road side (as opposed to the rail side) has
>>been nicely renovated as a restaurant.
>
> What has changed with the track layout ? I can remember when all services
> stopped at Masborough. Having said that, the Doncaster trains used to run
> through Kilnhurst, which now seems to be single tracked.

Yes, Rotherham must notice a difference in the number of services that stop
there, given that the Leeds-Sheffield trains take the Masborough route
rather than going through the station. I imagine the journey time is
increased as you need to get an all-stations stopper for Rotherham because
the limited-stop trains all take the Masborough route.

Re: Rotherham Central rail station shut over flooding fears

<sv00r4$7fn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24296&group=uk.railway#24296

From: non...@nowhere.net (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 12:33:39 +0000
 by: Certes - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 12:33 UTC

On 21/02/2022 09:30, NY wrote:
> "Adrian" <bulleid@ku.gro.lioff> wrote in message
>> In message <suueib$hdo$1@dont-email.me>, NY <me@privacy.invalid> writes
>>> I thought the platforms had gone but
>>> https://goo.gl/maps/R38PhEYH5KCGzEgK7 shows them still there, rather
>>> overgrown and with no footbridge access to the roads or to the
>>> bricked-up buildings. I suppose in times of dire emergency they could
>>> use the platform closest to the buildings and create a gap in the
>>> fencing, but that wouldn't work for Leeds/Wakefield-Sheffield
>>> trains... The building on the road side (as opposed to the rail side)
>>> has been nicely renovated as a restaurant.
>>
>> What has changed with the track layout ?  I can remember when all
>> services stopped at Masborough.  Having said that, the Doncaster
>> trains used to run through Kilnhurst, which now seems to be single
>> tracked.
>
> Yes, Rotherham must notice a difference in the number of services that
> stop there, given that the Leeds-Sheffield trains take the Masborough
> route rather than going through the station. I imagine the journey time
> is increased as you need to get an all-stations stopper for Rotherham
> because the limited-stop trains all take the Masborough route.

Many trains had time for one station stop in the area, and Meadowhall
stole it.

Re: Rotherham Central rail station shut over flooding fears

<sv01i5$hdg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24300&group=uk.railway#24300

From: bevanpri...@gmail.com (Bevan Price)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 12:45:57 +0000
 by: Bevan Price - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 12:45 UTC

On 21/02/2022 09:30, NY wrote:
> "Adrian" <bulleid@ku.gro.lioff> wrote in message
>> In message <suueib$hdo$1@dont-email.me>, NY <me@privacy.invalid> writes
>>> I thought the platforms had gone but
>>> https://goo.gl/maps/R38PhEYH5KCGzEgK7 shows them still there, rather
>>> overgrown and with no footbridge access to the roads or to the
>>> bricked-up buildings. I suppose in times of dire emergency they could
>>> use the platform closest to the buildings and create a gap in the
>>> fencing, but that wouldn't work for Leeds/Wakefield-Sheffield
>>> trains... The building on the road side (as opposed to the rail side)
>>> has been nicely renovated as a restaurant.
>>
>> What has changed with the track layout ?  I can remember when all
>> services stopped at Masborough.  Having said that, the Doncaster
>> trains used to run through Kilnhurst, which now seems to be single
>> tracked.
>
> Yes, Rotherham must notice a difference in the number of services that
> stop there, given that the Leeds-Sheffield trains take the Masborough
> route rather than going through the station. I imagine the journey time
> is increased as you need to get an all-stations stopper for Rotherham
> because the limited-stop trains all take the Masborough route.

It must have been a mixed blessing for Rotherham when Masborough was
closed. Central is much more convenient for the town centre, but the
approach from the Sheffield direction is very slow. But, with the
closure of Masborough, it lost all its long distance services - not that
every train passing through Masborough had actually called there.

And I gather from reading eleswhere that Rotherham Central has been
suffering much reduced local services "temporarily", with Covid being
used as the explanation (or excuse). Looking at RTT, only a sparse local
service remains between Sheffield, Rotherham & Doncaster, with much of
the daily service having degenerated to a rail replacement bus between
Meadowhall, Rotherham & Doncaster.