From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Windows 10
Date: 31 Jul 2022 09:30:15 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 09:30 UTC

I thought I'd try an in place upgrade to Win10 on my remaining Win 8.1 PC.
It failed, no reason given and logs aren't Jeff readable.

One suggestion was a service running that interfered with the upgrade so I
disabled all non MSFT services and am trying again.

It is downloading Win 10 again, is there not a way to get it to continue
where it left off or at least use what it has already downloaded?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?

Re: Windows 10

<tc5j21$8klp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2423&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2423

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Windows 10
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 10:46:40 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 09:46 UTC

On 31/07/2022 10:30, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I thought I'd try an in place upgrade to Win10 on my remaining Win 8.1
> PC. It failed, no reason given and logs aren't Jeff readable.
>
> One suggestion was a service running that interfered with the upgrade so
> I disabled all non MSFT services and am trying again.
>
> It is downloading Win 10 again, is there not a way to get it to continue
> where it left off or at least use what it has already downloaded?

My advice would be to use the "Media Creation Tool" and make yourself a
bootable CD/DVD or USB stick, then do a virgin install.

The trivial bits and pieces which you will miss out on by not
"activating" Windows are hardly worth bothering about.

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: Windows 10

<xn0nl0l0g27p8j000@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2424&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2424

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 31 Jul 2022 10:27:06 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 10:27 UTC

On 31/07/2022 in message <tc5j21$8klp$1@dont-email.me> Abandoned_Trolley
wrote:

>On 31/07/2022 10:30, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>>I thought I'd try an in place upgrade to Win10 on my remaining Win 8.1
>>PC. It failed, no reason given and logs aren't Jeff readable.
>>
>>One suggestion was a service running that interfered with the upgrade so
>>I disabled all non MSFT services and am trying again.
>>
>>It is downloading Win 10 again, is there not a way to get it to continue
>>where it left off or at least use what it has already downloaded?
>>

>My advice would be to use the "Media Creation Tool" and make yourself a
>bootable CD/DVD or USB stick, then do a virgin install.
>
>The trivial bits and pieces which you will miss out on by not "activating"
>Windows are hardly worth bothering about.

Yes, that's my preference too - and it's just failed a second time so I
will do that! I have a digital licence for Win 10 so no activation issues.

About 80% of my software doesn't use the registry and is on the "D" drive
and will "just work" after a re-install.

Four important programs are fine as long as I un-install while connected
to the Internet before re-installing the OS, they send a message home and
check on re-installing.

Then, of course, there's MSFT Office. I have enough licences for 9
installations of the basic stuff and 2 for Access but every bogging time I
re-install I end up doing 'phone activation which means taking down reams
of numbers - I'm a touch dyslexic so that's asking for trouble :-(

I do have Office 97 which will install on Win 10 - and actually just works
from my "D" drive except it whines a bit about the registry. It's
unbelievably fast on a modern PC and does have the stupid "Ribbon" taking
up vertical space on modern short screens so a good fall back.

Here goes, just to use "colorclassic" so I can put back some of the
legibility MSFT has removed.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his friends for his

Re: Windows 10

<xn0nl0q9lcmu4000@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2425&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2425

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 31 Jul 2022 13:47:51 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 13:47 UTC

On 31/07/2022 in message <xn0nl0l0g27p8j000@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>>The trivial bits and pieces which you will miss out on by not "activating"
>>Windows are hardly worth bothering about.
>
>Yes, that's my preference too - and it's just failed a second time so I
>will do that! I have a digital licence for Win 10 so no activation issues.

Well Win 10 is on but what a faff. It flatly refused to recognise the
NVM.e thingy that is installed on the Asus Z170K board until I had removed
the one that is on a PCIe card and all 4 of my backup SSD drives. I have
added the storage NVMe and will put the SSD's back later. I did the shift
F10 thing and used Diskpart but whatever Diskpart said (all was well) the
installer didn't want to know.

I remember this used to happen when SSDs first came out but still now?

Oh, spell checker not installed apologies, will do next.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
I take full responsibility for what happened - that is why the person that