Steckel's Rule to Success: Good enough is never good enough.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / “Forget the conspiracy theories”: Majority of Brits support 15-minute neighbourhoods, poll says

SubjectAuthor
* “Forget the conspiracy theories”: Majority of Brswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: “Forget the conspiracySpike
`- Re: “Forget the conspiracy theories”: Majority oswldx...@gmail.com

1
“Forget the conspiracy theories”: Majority of Brits support 15-minute neighbourhoods, poll says

<455e1b37-f45b-429f-babe-4b205f41feebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24281&group=uk.rec.cycling#24281

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 03:29:05 -0800 (PST)
Subject: “Forget_the_conspiracy_theories”:_Majority_of_Br
its_support_15-minute_neighbourhoods,_poll_says
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 11:29 UTC

As regular readers of the live blog will know, February was well and truly the month of the Great 15-minute City Debate.

The hotly debated schemes – which, in a nutshell, attempt to combat congestion by ensuring that most local amenities can be accessed safely and easily by bike or on foot within 15 minutes – have spawned a head-scratching array of conspiracy theories, mostly based around surveillance, government control, and ‘climate lockdowns’ which will enforce people to stay within their own areas.

These conspiracy theories, as unfounded and sometimes shameful as they are, have been raised by GB News stalwarts, Olympic swimmers-turned-controversialists, Members of Parliament, climate change deniers, and neo-Nazi-infiltrated demonstrations in recent weeks (the Monster Raving Loony party, meanwhile, bowed out of the debate, noting that the whole thing is even “too loony” for them).

The vocal and misleading opposition to the 15-minute city (which, it has to be said, has nestled up alongside residents who may have genuine concerns about LTNs and the like) was also tackled, with the kind of balance you’ve come to expect, on the road.cc Podcast last month.

But, after a mad month of conspiracy theories and protests, a newly published YouGov poll (link is external) has claimed that – shock horror – the majority of British people would actually quite like their local area to become a 15-minute neighbourhood, thank you very much.

The survey found that 62 percent of those asked would support their local authority making it a target to turn their area into a 15-minute neighbourhood, with a majority of both Labour (73 percent) and Tory (57 percent) voters feeling the same way.

However, while most Brits are in favour of the concept, less than half believed that it would be easy to implement within their own area – a factor influenced, rather unsurprisingly, by geography, with most rural respondents reckoning that the practical nature of a 15-minute neighbourhood was beyond their reach. 65 percent of “very urban” residents, meanwhile, believe that the schemes would be easy to implement.

Those surveyed were then asked, in the event of the local council brining in the 15-minute concept, which amenities should or should not be included as part of the scheme, with over 80 percent of respondents reckoning that bus stops, post boxes, pharmacies, GP surgeries, and parks should all be reachable by a short walk or cycle.

It’s this kind of result which highlights the potential benefits of 15-minute-neighbourhoods. While 83 percents of those polled would fancy a GP surgery within walking or cycling distance, only 54 percent can currently reach one in that time.

This part of the poll, it must be said, did raise some eyebrows online – Why would anyone deliberately not want a post box or bus stop within 15 minutes of their house?

I suppose conspiracy theories will do that to you…

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-7-march-2023-299771#live-blog-item-43691

Re: “Forget the conspiracy theories”: Majority of Br its support 15-minute neighbourhoods, poll says

<k6oohqFle1qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24285&group=uk.rec.cycling#24285

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: “Forget the conspiracy
Date: 7 Mar 2023 12:21:14 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 12:21 UTC

road.cc is doing its level best to usher in the new world order, but this
article is a least as rabid as those of which it complains!

A shedload of investment would be needed, to supply inferior services and
restrict freedom of choice. What GP would want to restrict their catchment
area to such a tiny population? There is a shortage of GPs…

I would hate to lose the freedom of choice that a 15-minute neighbourhood
would enforce.

--
Spike

Re: “Forget the conspiracy theories”: Majority of Brits support 15-minute neighbourhoods, poll says

<ebf4e2b3-b232-4c87-8eac-0b438e2b33bfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24292&group=uk.rec.cycling#24292

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 05:54:22 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re:_“Forget_the_conspiracy_theories”:_Majority_o
f_Brits_support_15-minute_neighbourhoods,_poll_says
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 13:54 UTC

Wish they'd introduce a LTN where I live, rat run hell , school drop off is a horn fest of pavement parking. No one fancies walking due to crazy bastards speeding , no enforcement of anything as far as cars are concerned. Every front garden is a car storage area and the council want more [ council leader has stated this ] . Crap cycling and walking infrastructure and this is an area of deprivation, made worse by having to own a bloody car as its too dangerous/difficult to walk or cycle. Judging by the damage to roadside furniture and the like its hardly surprising people buy SUVs in Walsall.. ffs