From: rich...@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: EVs again
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 18:31:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 18:31 UTC

I've just signed up with https://www.co-wheels.org.uk, which lets me
hire an EV at a good price. This includes a card that lets me use
chargepoints belonging to one particular network, and get billed at a
fixed rate afterwards.

And they point me at https://www.zap-map.com/live/ to find out where are
suitable wotsits. And ... I know that there are 2 just round a couple of
corners from here, because I've seen them, with cowheels [heh] cars
plugged into them. Zapmap shows the nearest as several tens of miles
away. And I don't /want/ to go to Crewe ... So it's not to be altogether
trusted.

So if I wanted more than local use, I'd need to make other arrangements
to top it up at some other chargepoints, too; and I'm not sure how that
all works. Does every different network want you to sign up
individually and have a separate card ? That'd get tedious, there are
lots. So which is the most common, the best bet ? And, what are the
chances they work ?

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: EVs again

<4687695.714595871.819744.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24282&group=uk.rec.sheds#24282

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: EVs again
Date: 24 Aug 2023 18:58:11 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 18:58 UTC

Richard Robinson <richard@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:
> I've just signed up with https://www.co-wheels.org.uk, which lets me
> hire an EV at a good price. This includes a card that lets me use
> chargepoints belonging to one particular network, and get billed at a
> fixed rate afterwards.
>
> And they point me at https://www.zap-map.com/live/ to find out where are
> suitable wotsits. And ... I know that there are 2 just round a couple of
> corners from here, because I've seen them, with cowheels [heh] cars
> plugged into them. Zapmap shows the nearest as several tens of miles
> away. And I don't /want/ to go to Crewe ... So it's not to be altogether
> trusted.
>
> So if I wanted more than local use, I'd need to make other arrangements
> to top it up at some other chargepoints, too; and I'm not sure how that
> all works. Does every different network want you to sign up
> individually and have a separate card ? That'd get tedious, there are
> lots. So which is the most common, the best bet ? And, what are the
> chances they work ?

I would hope that Co-wheels have reserved chargers to pick up and drop off
cars at. Of course you can use other chargers but at the end of a hire you
want to leave it on a charger where it’s not going to incur overstay
charges.

My brother uses them in Glasgow. On one occasion the hire car reeked of
cannabis smoke. Not the nicest if you don’t enjoy it and strictly against
their terms and conditions but I think they’re loath to ban too many hirers
as they’re trying hard to build their customer base.

Regarding topping up elsewhere, more machines can be used with credit cards
these days but in general it’s a horrible mishmash of different apps and
cards. The card that comes with the car may be set up to work with
multiple different types of chargers.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: EVs again

<uc8e2u$3k7kd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24286&group=uk.rec.sheds#24286

From: rich...@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 20:20:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 20:20 UTC

Tim+ said:
> Richard Robinson <richard@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:
>> I've just signed up with https://www.co-wheels.org.uk, which lets me
>> hire an EV at a good price. This includes a card that lets me use
>> chargepoints belonging to one particular network, and get billed at a
>> fixed rate afterwards.
>>
>> And they point me at https://www.zap-map.com/live/ to find out where are
>> suitable wotsits. And ... I know that there are 2 just round a couple of
>> corners from here, because I've seen them, with cowheels [heh] cars
>> plugged into them. Zapmap shows the nearest as several tens of miles
>> away. And I don't /want/ to go to Crewe ... So it's not to be altogether
>> trusted.
>>
>> So if I wanted more than local use, I'd need to make other arrangements
>> to top it up at some other chargepoints, too; and I'm not sure how that
>> all works. Does every different network want you to sign up
>> individually and have a separate card ? That'd get tedious, there are
>> lots. So which is the most common, the best bet ? And, what are the
>> chances they work ?
>>

> I would hope that Co-wheels have reserved chargers to pick up and drop off
> cars at. Of course you can use other chargers but at the end of a hire you
> want to leave it on a charger where it’s not going to incur overstay
> charges.

That's the deal, yes. You bring it back to the chargepoint you took it
from and plug it back in.

> My brother uses them in Glasgow. On one occasion the hire car reeked of
> cannabis smoke. Not the nicest if you don’t enjoy it and strictly against
> their terms and conditions but I think they’re loath to ban too many hirers
> as they’re trying hard to build their customer base.
>
> Regarding topping up elsewhere, more machines can be used with credit cards
> these days but in general it’s a horrible mishmash of different apps and
> cards. The card that comes with the car may be set up to work with
> multiple different types of chargers.

Yes, I suppose I'll find out about charger types in due course. And
"horrible mishmash" is the impression I've been getting. Lots of them
needing a detour to find, as well, I can see why you're advised to plan
the journey. Not v. attractive for big distances.

But, go somewhere by public transport and have a car waiting for you
when you get there, that could cummin handhi.

Thanks.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: EVs again

<20230824220512.af283bfe6342fda7ba68107b@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24287&group=uk.rec.sheds#24287

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 22:05:12 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 21:05 UTC

On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 20:20:46 -0000 (UTC)
Richard Robinson <richard@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:

> But, go somewhere by public transport and have a car waiting for you
> when you get there, that could cummin handhi.

Very much so.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: EVs again

<uca4ml$tjt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24289&group=uk.rec.sheds#24289

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 12:51:35 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 11:51 UTC

Most people I know simply lease the same car and pay for charging on a card
from any charger.
Be careful though, some places fine those who drape the wire along a
footway as its a trip hazard. Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Tim+" <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Richard Robinson <richard@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:
>> I've just signed up with https://www.co-wheels.org.uk, which lets me
>> hire an EV at a good price. This includes a card that lets me use
>> chargepoints belonging to one particular network, and get billed at a
>> fixed rate afterwards.
>>
>> And they point me at https://www.zap-map.com/live/ to find out where are
>> suitable wotsits. And ... I know that there are 2 just round a couple of
>> corners from here, because I've seen them, with cowheels [heh] cars
>> plugged into them. Zapmap shows the nearest as several tens of miles
>> away. And I don't /want/ to go to Crewe ... So it's not to be altogether
>> trusted.
>>
>> So if I wanted more than local use, I'd need to make other arrangements
>> to top it up at some other chargepoints, too; and I'm not sure how that
>> all works. Does every different network want you to sign up
>> individually and have a separate card ? That'd get tedious, there are
>> lots. So which is the most common, the best bet ? And, what are the
>> chances they work ?
>>

> I would hope that Co-wheels have reserved chargers to pick up and drop off
> cars at. Of course you can use other chargers but at the end of a hire you
> want to leave it on a charger where it's not going to incur overstay
> charges.
>
> My brother uses them in Glasgow. On one occasion the hire car reeked of
> cannabis smoke. Not the nicest if you don't enjoy it and strictly against
> their terms and conditions but I think they're loath to ban too many
> hirers
> as they're trying hard to build their customer base.
>
> Regarding topping up elsewhere, more machines can be used with credit
> cards
> these days but in general it's a horrible mishmash of different apps and
> cards. The card that comes with the car may be set up to work with
> multiple different types of chargers.
>
> Tim
>
> --
> Please don't feed the trolls

Re: EVs again

<uca6fh$1794$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24290&group=uk.rec.sheds#24290

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 13:23:13 +0100
 by: Chris Elvidge - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 12:23 UTC

On 25/08/2023 12:51, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Most people I know simply lease the same car and pay for charging on a card
> from any charger.
> Be careful though, some places fine those who drape the wire along a
> footway as its a trip hazard. Brian

Nearly had a heart attack there.
Read it as "Most people know I simply ...."

--

Chris Elvidge, England
BART BUCKS, ARE NOT LEGAL TENDER

Re: EVs again

<ucchc7$hagr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24301&group=uk.rec.sheds#24301

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 10:41:22 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 09:41 UTC

I can't hear that, I may be missing a comma or two though.
Brian

--

--: