NEWS FLASH!! Today the East German pole-vault champion became the West German pole-vault champion.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

SubjectAuthor
* USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenixNicholas D. Richards
+* USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyRichard Robinson
> [...]
|  | |`* USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyRichard Robinson
|  | | `* USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyRustyHinge
|  | |  `* USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyAhem A Rivet's Shot
|  | |   `- USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyRichard Robinson
|  | `* USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyAhem A Rivet's Shot
|  |  `* USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenixhubops
|  |   `- USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlymaus
|  +* USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyJulian Macassey
|  |`- USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenixNicholas D. Richards
|  `- USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyRustyHinge
`* USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenixBrian Gaff
 `* USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlySam Plusnet
  +- USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenixBrian Gaff
  `- USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyRichard Robinson

Pages:12
USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<4k8BBTBmpM8kFAei@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24454&group=uk.rec.sheds#24454

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 18:14:14 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 17:14 UTC

From The Register today;

https://www.theregister.com/2023/08/30/usenet_revival/?utm_source=daily&
utm_medium=newsletter&utm_content=top-article

https://tinyurl.com/h3sxp7nr

A tad optimistic, most groups are moribund, even this group is a shadow
of its former self. I have not counted them, but I do not think there
are more than 10 regular (more than once a day) contributors to this
group. Our median age is probably at least 60. I just hope that I will
not be the last contributor. In other groups it can feel like 'Ground
Control to Major Tom or Laika'.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<ucr4p9$3f9fl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24462&group=uk.rec.sheds#24462

From: rich...@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only
phoenix
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 22:38:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 22:38 UTC

Nicholas D. Richards said:
> From The Register today;
>
> https://www.theregister.com/2023/08/30/usenet_revival/?utm_source=daily&
> utm_medium=newsletter&utm_content=top-article
>
> https://tinyurl.com/h3sxp7nr
>
> A tad optimistic, most groups are moribund, even this group is a shadow
> of its former self. I have not counted them, but I do not think there
> are more than 10 regular (more than once a day) contributors to this
> group. Our median age is probably at least 60. I just hope that I will
> not be the last contributor. In other groups it can feel like 'Ground
> Control to Major Tom or Laika'.

Oh yeah. "Usenet - the social medium for people who remember Laika"

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<1qgcq8w.nkn3fa11428boN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24463&group=uk.rec.sheds#24463

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 23:54:54 +0100
This article comprises only my personal opinions unless otherwise stated.
May contain traces of nuts.
 by: Sn!pe - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 22:54 UTC

Richard Robinson <richard@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:

> Nicholas D. Richards said:
> > From The Register today;
> >
> > <https://www.theregister.com/2023/08/30/usenet_revival/?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_content=top-article>
> >
> > <https://tinyurl.com/h3sxp7nr>
> >
> > A tad optimistic, most groups are moribund, even this group is a shadow
> > of its former self. I have not counted them, but I do not think there
> > are more than 10 regular (more than once a day) contributors to this
> > group. Our median age is probably at least 60. I just hope that I will
> > not be the last contributor. In other groups it can feel like 'Ground
> > Control to Major Tom or Laika'.
>
> Oh yeah. "Usenet - the social medium for people who remember Laika"

# Laika flew through inky blue
'Til Laika neared the atmosphere and Laika knew
Laika's life was through

-- The Divine Comedy: 'Absent Friends'
<https://youtu.be/lc6y0BnPbDA>

--
^Ï^. – Sn!pe – <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<ucr894$3fd9c$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24464&group=uk.rec.sheds#24464

From: miste...@the.uk (Mister C)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
phoenix
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 00:38:12 +0100
 by: Mister C - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 23:38 UTC

>> Nicholas D. Richards said:
>>> A tad optimistic, most groups are moribund

If it's achieved anything, it's made me sign up to Usenet around 20
years too late by my reckoning.

Next step, upon discovering that the majority of Usenet now appears to
be a smoking ruin, was an Internet search for something like 'popular
Usenet groups 2023', which directed me here.

It's a pleasure to meet you all.

I have a small shed. I live in London. I like a chat. I'm tipping my hat
to you and hoping for some polite chit chat, a sip of my beer, and a
scampi fry or two.

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<1qgcv4j.39hbtj10atnteN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24465&group=uk.rec.sheds#24465

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 01:41:15 +0100
 by: Sn!pe - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 00:41 UTC

Mister C <mister_c@the.uk> wrote:

> If it's achieved anything, it's made me sign up to Usenet around 20
> years too late by my reckoning.
>
> Next step, upon discovering that the majority of Usenet now appears to
> be a smoking ruin, was an Internet search for something like 'popular
> Usenet groups 2023', which directed me here.
>
> It's a pleasure to meet you all.
>
> I have a small shed. I live in London. I like a chat. I'm tipping my hat
> to you and hoping for some polite chit chat, a sip of my beer, and a
> scampi fry or two.

Hi, Mr C, it's good to see that you've found our temporary erection at
the end of the garden path. If you brought beer, I hope it's Brown Ale
(BA), the Shed's preferred tipple. There might be a slice of Pork Pie
(PP) left over if you're lucky. There's room to sit on the half-empty
bag of Blue Circle in the corner and mind your cardie on that nail...
oops, too late.

--
^Ï^. – Sn!pe – <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<ucrg18$3k78i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24466&group=uk.rec.sheds#24466

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
phoenix
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 02:50:31 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 01:50 UTC

On 01/09/2023 00:38, Mister C wrote:

> If it's achieved anything, it's made me sign up to Usenet around 20
> years too late by my reckoning.
>
> Next step, upon discovering that the majority of Usenet now appears to
> be a smoking ruin, was an Internet search for something like 'popular
> Usenet groups 2023', which directed me here.
>
> It's a pleasure to meet you all.
>
> I have a small shed. I live in London. I like a chat. I'm tipping my hat
> to you and hoping for some polite chit chat, a sip of my beer, and a
> scampi fry or two.

Welcome to our diverse community. Whatever your interest, you are almost
sure to find someone here who either shares it, or is interested enough
to dip their toe in your bowl.

However, many folk arrive here expecting to get directions as to their
intended acquisition of a semi-temporary structure and are disappointed
to find it's the *spirit* of Sheddism, not its inlignification which
obtains here. So pick a comfortably hardened sack of hardened Blue
Circle (other brands are available) and - did you bringa mug? - No? I'll
wash out a jam-jar until you're kitted out.

Draw-up that sack and mind your cardi on that nail^oh! Too late. Never
mind, there's a cardi first-aid kit there in that tobacco tin.

Just At the moment we seem to have a choice of BA or hot creomite.
I'dadvise aBA and a PP - Creomite isan acquired taste - by some.

Oh, a sip of *your* BA..

That makes you more than welcome innit.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<ucrjk7$3kk0s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24467&group=uk.rec.sheds#24467

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
phoenix
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 03:51:51 +0100
 by: Tone - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 02:51 UTC

On 01/09/2023 00:38, Mister C wrote:
> It's a pleasure to meet you all.
>
> I have a small shed. I live in London. I like a chat. I'm tipping my hat
> to you and hoping for some polite chit chat, a sip of my beer, and a
> scampi fry or two.

Welcome, but a word of warning.

In here you will need a warped sense of humour.

But if you don't have one you can borrow mine.

Tone

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<20230901070641.34b5d30586598ec70eff052e@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24469&group=uk.rec.sheds#24469

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
phoenix
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 07:06:41 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 06:06 UTC

On Fri, 1 Sep 2023 01:41:15 +0100
snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:

> Hi, Mr C, it's good to see that you've found our temporary erection at
> the end of the garden path. If you brought beer, I hope it's Brown Ale
> (BA), the Shed's preferred tipple. There might be a slice of Pork Pie
> (PP) left over if you're lucky. There's room to sit on the half-empty
> bag of Blue Circle in the corner and mind your cardie on that nail...
> oops, too late.

I'll get the sewing kit, ooh and here's the biccy tin, kettles on
cuppa ?

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<ucs882$3n5n3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24472&group=uk.rec.sheds#24472

From: miste...@the.uk (Mister C)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
phoenix
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 09:43:45 +0100
 by: Mister C - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 08:43 UTC

On 01/09/2023 03:51, Tone wrote:
> On 01/09/2023 00:38, Mister C wrote:
>> It's a pleasure to meet you all.
>>
>> I have a small shed. I live in London. I like a chat. I'm tipping my
>> hat to you and hoping for some polite chit chat, a sip of my beer, and
>> a scampi fry or two.
>
> Welcome, but a word of warning.
>
> In here you will need a warped sense of humour.
>
> But if you don't have one you can borrow mine.
>
> Tone

Thanks for making me so welcome all! The tea was delicious, all the
moreso thanks to that warming tinge of white spirit.

Tried to find some other lively newsgroups last night. Drew a total
blank. So the image in my head is very much now of us hunched in a warm
shed with a post-apocalyptic barren wasteland outside.

I shall do my best to bring what I can - got bants, got biscuits, think
I have an old AM radio somewhere we can put on for TMS.

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<20230901103223.d4ed15aeea4e3a3e6a4d83d5@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24476&group=uk.rec.sheds#24476

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
phoenix
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 10:32:23 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 09:32 UTC

On Fri, 1 Sep 2023 09:43:45 +0100
Mister C <mister_c@the.uk> wrote:

> On 01/09/2023 03:51, Tone wrote:
> > On 01/09/2023 00:38, Mister C wrote:
> >> It's a pleasure to meet you all.
> >>
> >> I have a small shed. I live in London. I like a chat. I'm tipping my
> >> hat to you and hoping for some polite chit chat, a sip of my beer, and
> >> a scampi fry or two.
> >
> > Welcome, but a word of warning.
> >
> > In here you will need a warped sense of humour.
> >
> > But if you don't have one you can borrow mine.
> >
> > Tone
>
> Thanks for making me so welcome all! The tea was delicious, all the
> moreso thanks to that warming tinge of white spirit.
>
> Tried to find some other lively newsgroups last night. Drew a total
> blank. So the image in my head is very much now of us hunched in a warm
> shed with a post-apocalyptic barren wasteland outside.
>
> I shall do my best to bring what I can - got bants, got biscuits, think
> I have an old AM radio somewhere we can put on for TMS.

I keep a watch on news:talk.origins, just to see how some folk manage to
convince themselves of some outlandish 'theory'.

news:Alt.Usage.English is also a good laugh - well, my posts are always
funny, except (especially?) when I lose my rag with the resident
linguistician, though I do now realise there's nothing that can be done to
change his attitude.

But I need to categorise You - do you open a bananana at the top or
bottom?

Careful how you answer as this can cause a brobgradian(sp?)^w Lilliputian
split.

PS you'll have to learn to rot13 some naughty words - 'jbex' being the
worst.

Rawbl!
--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<zDMzIXAlzb8kFAsT@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24482&group=uk.rec.sheds#24482

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 11:28:53 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 10:28 UTC

In article <ucs882$3n5n3$1@dont-email.me>, Mister C <mister_c@the.uk>
on Fri, 1 Sep 2023 at 09:43:45 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and
wrote
>On 01/09/2023 03:51, Tone wrote:
>> On 01/09/2023 00:38, Mister C wrote:
>>> It's a pleasure to meet you all.
>>>
>>> I have a small shed. I live in London. I like a chat. I'm tipping my
>>> hat to you and hoping for some polite chit chat, a sip of my beer, and
>>> a scampi fry or two.
>>
>> Welcome, but a word of warning.
>>
>> In here you will need a warped sense of humour.
>>
>> But if you don't have one you can borrow mine.
>>
>> Tone
>
>Thanks for making me so welcome all! The tea was delicious, all the
>moreso thanks to that warming tinge of white spirit.
>
>Tried to find some other lively newsgroups last night. Drew a total
>blank. So the image in my head is very much now of us hunched in a warm
>shed with a post-apocalyptic barren wasteland outside.

Not really a post-apocalyptic barren wasteland. Tony has recently
posted links to video of his recent, very successful, experiments with a
drone. They show a very green and interesting garden around his
metaphorical shed. The green garden is very real.

Around my (real) shed I have 150+ horse chestnut trees (2 of), 2
hornbeams, 1 holm oak and a yew tree which possibly older* than the
chestnuts.

>I shall do my best to bring what I can - got bants, got biscuits, think
>I have an old AM radio somewhere we can put on for TMS.

* When I ask The old druid how old he is, he waves me away, telling me
that he is older than I feel. I do not think he is old enough to have
provided help at Agincourt, although to does let out a little cheer on
25 October (OT) every year.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<ucseou$3o9dv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24484&group=uk.rec.sheds#24484

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 11:35:06 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 10:35 UTC

Have you looked at Mastodon? I'm told this is social media based on usenet
principals of nobody owning it.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote in message
> From The Register today;
>
> https://www.theregister.com/2023/08/30/usenet_revival/?utm_source=daily&
> utm_medium=newsletter&utm_content=top-article
>
> https://tinyurl.com/h3sxp7nr
>
> A tad optimistic, most groups are moribund, even this group is a shadow
> of its former self. I have not counted them, but I do not think there
> are more than 10 regular (more than once a day) contributors to this
> group. Our median age is probably at least 60. I just hope that I will
> not be the last contributor. In other groups it can feel like 'Ground
> Control to Major Tom or Laika'.
> --
> 0sterc@tcher -
>
> "O� sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<20230901123313.f6f00cee806f3228257bacd3@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24486&group=uk.rec.sheds#24486

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
phoenix
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 12:33:13 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 11:33 UTC

On Fri, 1 Sep 2023 11:28:53 +0100
"Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:

[]

> * When I ask The old druid how old he is, he waves me away, telling me
> that he is older than I feel. I do not think he is old enough to have
> provided help at Agincourt, although to does let out a little cheer on
> 25 October (OT) every year.

I'm with the Amerinds; how can a person own something that exists on much
greater timescale? You (generic) are but a custodian.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<ucsis6$3opcc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24487&group=uk.rec.sheds#24487

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
phoenix
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 12:45:09 +0100
 by: Tone - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 11:45 UTC

On 01/09/2023 10:32, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> But I need to categorise You - do you open a bananana at the top or
> bottom?

But the top is the bottom on a bananananana, ain't it?

Tone

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<vlIUBuA3hd8kFANV@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24488&group=uk.rec.sheds#24488

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 13:26:31 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 12:26 UTC

In article <ucsis6$3opcc$1@dont-email.me>, Tone <tone@email.com> on
Fri, 1 Sep 2023 at 12:45:09 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On 01/09/2023 10:32, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>> But I need to categorise You - do you open a bananana at the top or
>> bottom?
>
>But the top is the bottom on a bananananana, ain't it?

And if you are a monkey hanging from your tail, while you eat?

>Tone
The important thing is we're not worried whether you eat you your banana
from the top, bottom, middle, as a fritter or do not like bananas (or is
that going too far?).
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<20230901133147.c3dccd7ee85c76b41feb8cba@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24489&group=uk.rec.sheds#24489

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
phoenix
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 13:31:47 +0100
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 12:31 UTC

On Fri, 1 Sep 2023 12:45:09 +0100
Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:

> On 01/09/2023 10:32, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> > But I need to categorise You - do you open a bananana at the top or
> > bottom?
>
> But the top is the bottom on a bananananana, ain't it?

That'd depend on which way up you hold it. IIRC bananananana bunches 'hang'
upwards:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/08/b0/27/08b027e05095abafe98d6023f307d53f.jpg

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<ucsr3p$3q0dc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24490&group=uk.rec.sheds#24490

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
phoenix
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 15:05:44 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 14:05 UTC

On 01/09/2023 09:43, Mister C wrote:
> On 01/09/2023 03:51, Tone wrote:
>> On 01/09/2023 00:38, Mister C wrote:
>>> It's a pleasure to meet you all.
>>>
>>> I have a small shed. I live in London. I like a chat. I'm tipping my
>>> hat to you and hoping for some polite chit chat, a sip of my beer,
>>> and a scampi fry or two.
>>
>> Welcome, but a word of warning.
>>
>> In here you will need a warped sense of humour.
>>
>> But if you don't have one you can borrow mine.
>>
>> Tone
>
> Thanks for making me so welcome all! The tea was delicious, all the
> moreso thanks to that warming tinge of white spirit.

ITYF that was turpentine

> Tried to find some other lively newsgroups last night. Drew a total
> blank.

uk.rec.motorcycles can get lively sometimes and there are some worthy
contributors there, albeit the language can get a little ripe. Activity
is spasmodic thobut.

The Caff - alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
and the pub - alt.free.beer.tomorrow have worthy bursts of energy (and
long silences) but are both collected.

> So the image in my head is very much now of us hunched in a warm
> shed with a post-apocalyptic barren wasteland outside.

Pretty much so - think 'When The Wind Blows'

> I shall do my best to bring what I can - got bants, got biscuits, think
> I have an old AM radio somewhere we can put on for TMS.

TMS tends to be on R5LiveSportsX now - I goove its LW identity has gorn
forever.

We might have to embrace Modern Technology™ <shudder>.

Things to be aware of: certain words are anathema so are encoded. coding
can besimple Buddcrypt where each pair of letters is reversed so 'work'
becomes owkr, or it may be Rotten (ROT13) to jbex (each letter replaced
by the one 13 places away) or if the word is totally obscene,
Buddcrypted *and* Rotten - bjxe. TAAAW (too, also and as well - tilting
at tautological numpties) are much used - you'll get the hang of it.

Buddcrypt as devised by Dave Budd (Oldbloke) who started this NG but
has, unhappily, gone to pastures arj. I followed arGooey (Guy King) here
a month or so after its inception, so I'm /probably/ the oldest
inhabitant, though there may be other claimants.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<1113935584.715270420.200308.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24491&group=uk.rec.sheds#24491

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a
text-only phoenix
Date: 1 Sep 2023 14:15:30 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 14:15 UTC

Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
> On 01/09/2023 10:32, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>> But I need to categorise You - do you open a bananana at the top or
>> bottom?
>
> But the top is the bottom on a bananananana, ain't it?
>
> Tone

Is a bañana one that you’re saving for later?

(Just in case it doesn’t survive translation, there’s a tilde thingy over
the first N).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<1qgdxlr.13a3j5pbz9ct3N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24495&group=uk.rec.sheds#24495

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 15:32:24 +0100
 by: Sn!pe - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 14:32 UTC

RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> the pub - alt.free.beer.tomorrow

Not alt., just 'free.beer.tomorrow' aka 'The Sn!pe's End Inn'*

* on a good night, depending which serving wench is on duty.

--
^Ï^. – Sn!pe – <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<slrnuf3uqg.2jfln.julian@n6are.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24498&group=uk.rec.sheds#24498

From: jul...@n6are.com (Julian Macassey)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
phoenix
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 14:55:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Julian Macassey - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 14:55 UTC

On Fri, 1 Sep 2023 00:38:12 +0100, Mister C <mister_c@the.uk> wrote:

> If it's achieved anything, it's made me sign up to Usenet around 20
> years too late by my reckoning.

When the bros talk of "Social Media", meaning facebook, that's all
they know. When I mention IRC and usenet, I get uncomprehending stares.

> Next step, upon discovering that the majority of Usenet now appears to
> be a smoking ruin, was an Internet search for something like 'popular
> Usenet groups 2023', which directed me here.

Welcome aboard.

> It's a pleasure to meet you all.
>
> I have a small shed. I live in London. I like a chat. I'm tipping my hat
> to you and hoping for some polite chit chat, a sip of my beer, and a
> scampi fry or two.

Surely as a Londoner you would prefer whitebait over scampi.

--
The NHS will last as long as there are folk left with faith to
fight for it. - Aneurin Bevan

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<sin3x6Jd6f8kFw8g@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24502&group=uk.rec.sheds#24502

From: bull...@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 16:09:17 +0100
 by: Adrian - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 15:09 UTC

In message <ucsr3p$3q0dc$1@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge
<rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> writes
>TMS tends to be on R5LiveSportsX now - I goove its LW identity has gorn
>forever.

In the unlikely event that the unforgettery is jbexvat correctly, there
will be no more home test matches on LW, not sure about the short format
("That's simply not Cricket old chap") or the winter stuff. The LW
transmitter is having its shed door closed next year.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<ob41O+A3ij8kFAPz@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24517&group=uk.rec.sheds#24517

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 20:17:11 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 19:17 UTC

In article <slrnuf3uqg.2jfln.julian@n6are.com>, Julian Macassey
<julian@n6are.com> on Fri, 1 Sep 2023 at 14:55:12 awoke Nicholas from
his slumbers and wrote
>On Fri, 1 Sep 2023 00:38:12 +0100, Mister C <mister_c@the.uk> wrote:
>
> Welcome aboard.
>>
>> It's a pleasure to meet you all.
>>
>> I have a small shed. I live in London. I like a chat. I'm tipping my hat
>> to you and hoping for some polite chit chat, a sip of my beer, and a
>> scampi fry or two.
>
> Surely as a Londoner you would prefer whitebait over scampi.

This London would not prefer whitebait, it would make him very ill
indeed. OTOH Scampi without fish sauce, calamari, giant prawns or
lobster are very acceptable.

There is an irony in being allergic to fish and being married to a
Filipina; I do not know how that happened. When she wants to eat fish
she goes to friends <glum face>
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<uctgjb$d7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24519&group=uk.rec.sheds#24519

From: heatonan...@gmail.com (James Heaton)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
phoenix
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 21:12:42 +0100
 by: James Heaton - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 20:12 UTC

On 01/09/2023 15:05, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 01/09/2023 09:43, Mister C wrote:

>>> Welcome, but a word of warning.
>>>
>>> In here you will need a warped sense of humour.
>>>
>>> But if you don't have one you can borrow mine.
>>>
>>> Tone
>>
>> Thanks for making me so welcome all! The tea was delicious, all the
>> moreso thanks to that warming tinge of white spirit.
>
> ITYF that was turpentine
>
>> Tried to find some other lively newsgroups last night. Drew a total
>> blank.
>
> uk.rec.motorcycles can get lively sometimes and there are some worthy
> contributors there, albeit the language can get a little ripe. Activity
> is spasmodic thobut.
>
> The Caff - alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
> and the pub - alt.free.beer.tomorrow have worthy bursts of energy (and
> long silences) but are both collected.
>
>> So the image in my head is very much now of us hunched in a warm shed
>> with a post-apocalyptic barren wasteland outside.
>
> Pretty much so - think 'When The Wind Blows'
>
>> I shall do my best to bring what I can - got bants, got biscuits,
>> think I have an old AM radio somewhere we can put on for TMS.
>
> TMS tends to be on R5LiveSportsX now - I goove its LW identity has gorn
> forever.

The 5th test of this summer was the last to be broadcast on 198 LW.

It still seems strange listening to the radio on tv, but I'm getting
used to it

James

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<uctkdr$ute$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24520&group=uk.rec.sheds#24520

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
phoenix
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 22:17:48 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 21:17 UTC

On 01/09/2023 15:32, Sn!pe wrote:
> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> the pub - alt.free.beer.tomorrow
>>

> Not alt., just 'free.beer.tomorrow' aka 'The Sn!pe's End Inn'*
>

> * on a good night, depending which serving wench is on duty.

I recline corrected.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<0PsIM.375873$Fgta.368271@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24522&group=uk.rec.sheds#24522

phoenix
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 22:35:56 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 21:35 UTC

On 01-Sep-23 12:45, Tone wrote:
> On 01/09/2023 10:32, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>> But I need to categorise You - do you open a bananana at the top or
>> bottom?
>
> But the top is the bottom on a bananananana, ain't it?

If that banana has a bottom - I ain't putting my mouth anywhere near it.

--
Sam Plusnet