From: new...@prodata.co.uk (JGD)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Cambridge area resignalling
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 17:36:04 +0000
 by: JGD - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 17:36 UTC

Network Rail has awarded a £130m contract to Alstom to deliver much of
the work under a five-year agreement.

"As part of the project, Alstom will deliver the complete renewal of the
signalling system for the Cambridge area to replace the existing
equipment which was installed in the early 1980s,” says a spokesperson
for Network Rail.

Full story FWIW (local press):

<https://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/traffic/cambridge-area-to-get-major-rail-improvements-8709730>

Also includes: 'Automatic half barrier crossings at Waterbeach,
Dullingham and Six Mile Bottom are to be upgraded to manually controlled
barriers.'??

Re: Cambridge area resignalling

<WXFQDPHScSFiFAJQ@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24465&group=uk.railway#24465

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Cambridge area resignalling
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 18:10:26 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 18:10 UTC

In message <sv36u4$1l4s$1@gioia.aioe.org>, at 17:36:04 on Tue, 22 Feb
2022, JGD <news@prodata.co.uk> remarked:
>Network Rail has awarded a £130m contract to Alstom to deliver much of
>the work under a five-year agreement.
>
>"As part of the project, Alstom will deliver the complete renewal of
>the signalling system for the Cambridge area to replace the existing
>equipment which was installed in the early 1980s,” says a
>spokesperson for Network Rail.
>
>Full story FWIW (local press):
>
><https://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/traffic/cambridge-area-to-get-major-
>rail-improvements-8709730>
>
>Also includes: 'Automatic half barrier crossings at Waterbeach,
>Dullingham and Six Mile Bottom are to be upgraded to manually
>controlled barriers.'??

It's garbled non-railway speak. But probably means they'll be replaced
by full-barrier crossings where the manual control is a bloke in the
signalling centre lowering them several minutes before the train is
expected, checking manually that they are clear, and then manually
signalling the track as clear for the train to proceed.

I wonder if this means they've abandoned further rollout the automatic
crossing-clear equipment installed a few years ago on routes to Norwich
(and also I think at Chettisham).
--
Roland Perry

Re: Cambridge area resignalling

<j7lcijF9u3vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24476&group=uk.railway#24476

From: nin...@moss-eccardt.com (Rupert Moss-Eccardt)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 00:14:10 +0000
 by: Rupert Moss-Eccardt - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 00:14 UTC

On 22 Feb 2022 18:10, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <sv36u4$1l4s$1@gioia.aioe.org>, at 17:36:04 on Tue, 22 Feb
> 2022, JGD <news@prodata.co.uk> remarked:
>>Network Rail has awarded a £130m contract to Alstom to deliver much
of
>>the work under a five-year agreement.
>>
>>"As part of the project, Alstom will deliver the complete renewal of
>>the signalling system for the Cambridge area to replace the existing
>>equipment which was installed in the early 1980s," says a
>>spokesperson for Network Rail.
>>
>>Full story FWIW (local press):
>>
>><https://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/traffic/cambridge-area-to-get-major-
>>rail-improvements-8709730>
>>
>>Also includes: 'Automatic half barrier crossings at Waterbeach,
>>Dullingham and Six Mile Bottom are to be upgraded to manually
>>controlled barriers.'??
>
> It's garbled non-railway speak. But probably means they'll be replaced
> by full-barrier crossings where the manual control is a bloke in the
> signalling centre lowering them several minutes before the train is
> expected, checking manually that they are clear, and then manually
> signalling the track as clear for the train to proceed.
>
> I wonder if this means they've abandoned further rollout the automatic
> crossing-clear equipment installed a few years ago on routes to Norwich
> (and also I think at Chettisham).

The commercial press releases and the consultation papers mention OD.

Re: Cambridge area resignalling

<YrgTcuKFKdFiFA65@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24480&group=uk.railway#24480

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 06:21:57 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 06:21 UTC

In message <j7lcijF9u3vU1@mid.individual.net>, at 00:14:10 on Wed, 23
Feb 2022, Rupert Moss-Eccardt <nin@moss-eccardt.com> remarked:
>On 22 Feb 2022 18:10, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <sv36u4$1l4s$1@gioia.aioe.org>, at 17:36:04 on Tue, 22 Feb
>> 2022, JGD <news@prodata.co.uk> remarked:
>>>Network Rail has awarded a £130m contract to Alstom to deliver much
>of
>>>the work under a five-year agreement.
>>>
>>>"As part of the project, Alstom will deliver the complete renewal of
>>>the signalling system for the Cambridge area to replace the existing
>>>equipment which was installed in the early 1980s," says a
>>>spokesperson for Network Rail.
>>>
>>>Full story FWIW (local press):
>>>
>>><https://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/traffic/cambridge-area-to-get-major-
>>>rail-improvements-8709730>
>>>
>>>Also includes: 'Automatic half barrier crossings at Waterbeach,
>>>Dullingham and Six Mile Bottom are to be upgraded to manually
>>>controlled barriers.'??
>>
>> It's garbled non-railway speak. But probably means they'll be replaced
>> by full-barrier crossings where the manual control is a bloke in the
>> signalling centre lowering them several minutes before the train is
>> expected, checking manually that they are clear, and then manually
>> signalling the track as clear for the train to proceed.
>>
>> I wonder if this means they've abandoned further rollout the automatic
>> crossing-clear equipment installed a few years ago on routes to Norwich
>> (and also I think at Chettisham).
>
>The commercial press releases and the consultation papers mention OD.

Thanks. It's the "manually controlled", when they are to all intents and
purposes fully automatic, that's confusing for the public.
--
Roland Perry