Give me chastity and continence, but not just now. -- St. Augustine

aus+uk / aus.cars / some observations re uhf radios...

SubjectAuthor
* some observations re uhf radios...lindsay
`* Re: some observations re uhf radios...Daryl
 `- Re: some observations re uhf radios...lindsay

1
some observations re uhf radios...

<E4EfM.2391936$MVg8.2213520@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24487&group=aus.cars#24487

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Subject: some observations re uhf radios...
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 20:42:42 +1000
 by: lindsay - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 10:42 UTC

Had a few in my time, always looked for a din sized unit with a front
firing speaker. Tried Uniden several times, a newer brand named Oricom,
even had a Icom that got swiped. but there's only 4 brands in the UHF
car mounted radio in Aus.. I use the uhf to either announce or listen
towhere the speed cams are, where an ambo is driving lights and sirens,
general fuck ups in traffic...

Anyway, in no particular order:

Icom got stolen. Cant even remember the model, but this was in the 80's.

Went to Uniden, several models got used, and as they got better/more
features, i upgraded. had no issues really until recently..

Went to a brand called Oricom. Sounded good. Had what I wanted, and 5
year warranty.. provided you have a receipt. First one went deaf.
Couldnt hear shit. Bought from BCF. They couldnt find a copy of my
receipt. Oops. naughty naughty... Oricom replaced it as they had only
been in the market for a couple of years and it had a 5 year warranty.
Great. Except till summer comes. I have the radio up front and centre so
to speak, I like to be able to hear whats going on, and be able t change
channel , squelch etc without taking my eyes off the road too much. So
now, the microphone cable melts in the sun. Not just at the metal plug,
but half way up the coily cord as well. "Made for Australian
conditions".. did anyone tell the chinese that?

Paid $40 for a new mike.. and will sell it as a working radio... coz it
works, except when it fucking melts.

Back to Uniden. Now, I have several Uniden products, inc 2 digital, and
2 analog scanners, one which is maybe 20+ years old (UBC9000xlt) and
still going strong... all great gear, with no dramas at all.

However i digress: Uniden UH7750nb.. the display started dropping
segments, and over the last 12 months, got so bad, i couldnt see what
channel I was on. Seems they dont like the heat being in a metal case:
the segment display ribbon is fucking *glued* to the main circuit board.
Rubbish. Another claim "made to Australian conditions". Bullshit.

Sick of throwing money away on shit. Asked the question, and it seems
the only brand I haven't used is the go. By a long way. GME. Made in
Australia. Gee I wish I had known this before. First to market with
hi-res OLED display, First to market with Bluetooth and location
tracking. First to market with annual upgrades, firmware and software.
Not cheap, but fuck throwing money away every two years on chinese?
shit. I've settled on a XRS-370, and found a metal bracket for the
ranger that will position the microphone in view, for $60. The rest gets
buried outa sight, except the antenna.

Oh and have a digitalk 40 channel, 5 what UHF hand held. maybe 7 years
old from Jaycar. No batteries available. No chargers available. More
chinese junk.

Re: some observations re uhf radios...

<ke9ua9FarkaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24491&group=aus.cars#24491

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: some observations re uhf radios...
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 09:37:45 +1000
 by: Daryl - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 23:37 UTC

On 6/6/2023 8:42 pm, lindsay wrote:

> Had a few in my time, always looked for a din sized unit with a front
> firing speaker. Tried Uniden several times, a newer brand named Oricom,
> even had a Icom that got swiped. but there's only 4 brands in the UHF
> car mounted radio in Aus.. I use the uhf to either announce or listen
> towhere the speed cams are, where an ambo is driving lights and sirens,
> general fuck ups in traffic...
>
> Anyway, in no particular order:
>
> Icom got stolen. Cant even remember the model, but this was in the 80's.
>
> Went to Uniden, several models got used, and as they got better/more
> features, i upgraded. had no issues really until recently..
>
> Went to a brand called Oricom. Sounded good. Had what I wanted, and 5
> year warranty.. provided you have a receipt. First one went deaf.
> Couldnt hear shit. Bought from BCF. They couldnt find a copy of my
> receipt. Oops. naughty naughty... Oricom replaced it as they had only
> been in the market for a couple of years and it had a 5 year warranty.
> Great. Except till summer comes. I have the radio up front and centre so
> to speak, I like to be able to hear whats going on, and be able t change
> channel , squelch etc without taking my eyes off the road too much. So
> now, the microphone cable melts in the sun. Not just at the metal plug,
> but half way up the coily cord as well. "Made for Australian
> conditions".. did anyone tell the chinese that?
>
> Paid $40 for a new mike.. and will sell it as a working radio... coz it
> works, except when it fucking melts.
>
> Back to Uniden. Now, I have several Uniden products, inc 2 digital, and
> 2 analog scanners, one which is maybe 20+ years old (UBC9000xlt) and
> still going strong... all great gear, with no dramas at all.
>
> However i digress: Uniden UH7750nb.. the display started dropping
> segments, and over the last 12 months, got so bad, i couldnt see what
> channel I was on. Seems they dont like the heat being in a metal case:
> the segment display ribbon is fucking *glued* to the main circuit board.
> Rubbish. Another claim "made to Australian conditions". Bullshit.
>
> Sick of throwing money away on shit. Asked the question, and it seems
> the only brand I haven't used is the go. By a long way. GME. Made in
> Australia. Gee I wish I had known this before. First to market with
> hi-res OLED display, First to market with Bluetooth and location
> tracking. First to market with annual upgrades, firmware and software.
> Not cheap, but fuck throwing money away every two years on chinese?
> shit. I've settled on a XRS-370, and found a metal bracket for the
> ranger that will position the microphone in view, for $60. The rest gets
> buried outa sight, except the antenna.
>
> Oh and have a digitalk 40 channel, 5 what UHF hand held. maybe 7 years
> old from Jaycar. No batteries available. No chargers available. More
> chinese junk.

GME is the brand you will find in most trucks and I was always told that
they were the best.

--
Daryl

Re: some observations re uhf radios...

<dlSfM.2464$fZx2.1498@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24497&group=aus.cars#24497

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 12:56:07 +1000
 by: lindsay - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 02:56 UTC

On 7/06/2023 9:37 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 6/6/2023 8:42 pm, lindsay wrote:
>>
>> Had a few in my time, always looked for a din sized unit with a front
>> firing speaker. Tried Uniden several times, a newer brand named

>> Sick of throwing money away on shit. Asked the question, and it seems
>> the only brand I haven't used is the go. By a long way. GME. Made in
>> Australia. Gee I wish I had known this before. First to market with
>> hi-res OLED display, First to market with Bluetooth and location
>> tracking. First to market with annual upgrades, firmware and software.
>> Not cheap, but fuck throwing money away every two years on chinese?
>> shit. I've settled on a XRS-370, and found a metal bracket for the
>> ranger that will position the microphone in view, for $60. The rest
>> gets buried outa sight, except the antenna.
>>
>> Oh and have a digitalk 40 channel, 5 what UHF hand held. maybe 7 years
>> old from Jaycar. No batteries available. No chargers available. More
>> chinese junk.
>

> GME is the brand you will find in most trucks and I was always told that
> they were the best.

Soon find out. being delivered tomorrow. Seems very popular, even if a
little expensive. Australian made, so it beats the shit from china hands
down.

I also looked at an Icom, which also have an excellent name, but the
features of the GME far outweigh the Icom.