"But Huey, you PROMISED!" "Tell 'em I lied."

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / £20m committed to improve A36 for cyclists

SubjectAuthor
* £20m committed to improve A36 for cyclistsswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: £20m committed to improve A36 for fairy-cyclisJNugent
`- Re: £20m committed to improve A36 for cyclistsswldx...@gmail.com

1
£20m committed to improve A36 for cyclists

<80a85af6-d496-4341-9d9b-dddeae27f937n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24498&group=uk.rec.cycling#24498

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 06:51:29 -0800 (PST)
Subject: £20m_committed_to_improve_A36_for_cyclists
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 14:51 UTC

A £20m investment into the A36 could see construction on improvements begin as early as 2025.

The scheme was discussed at the Southern Wiltshire Area Board in Alderbury on Thursday, February 23 and briefly mentioned at the Salisbury Area Board at Five Rivers Leisure Centre on Thursday, March 9.

Chris Hilldrup, of National Highways England, said at the Alderbury meeting that “studies would look at different models and information would be drawn from partners, including Wiltshire Council and Salisbury City Council. Any work taken forward must not impact negatively on other areas of the road network.”

Concerns raised by councillors in Alderbury included what measures could be taken to reduce rat running and making the A36 a more tolerable route for cyclists along stretches where there are no nearby alternative routes.

Councillors were told that solutions for cycling were limited as the footprint of the road cannot be extended.

Addressing rat running, Chris said: “It was very difficult to stop rat-run traffic as those doing it were local people.”

At the Salisbury Area Board meeting, Chris said much of the work currently is about “making sure that the right people are having the right conversations.”

He added: “We’ve essentially got three large schemes running through Salisbury. We’re looking at improving the traffic light signals throughout the city.

"We’re then looking at the work which we’re looking to do with the A36 to improve the flow down there, and then that’s got to link in with the work that Wiltshire is doing with the Harnham Gyratory and Exeter Roundabouts.”

https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/23377334.20m-committed-improve-a36-drivers-cyclists/

Re: £20m committed to improve A36 for fairy-cyclists

<k73m64Fc1kkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24501&group=uk.rec.cycling#24501

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_£20m_committed_to_improve_A36_for_fairy-cyclis
ts
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 15:48:20 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 15:48 UTC

> A £20m investment into the A36 could see construction on improvements begin as early as 2025.
>
> The scheme was discussed at the Southern Wiltshire Area Board in Alderbury on Thursday, February 23 and briefly mentioned at the Salisbury Area Board at Five Rivers Leisure Centre on Thursday, March 9.
>
> Chris Hilldrup, of National Highways England, said at the Alderbury meeting that “studies would look at different models and information would be drawn from partners, including Wiltshire Council and Salisbury City Council. Any work taken forward must not impact negatively on other areas of the road network.”

Important perspective.

> Concerns raised by councillors in Alderbury included what measures could be taken to reduce rat running and making the A36 a more tolerable route for fairy-cyclists along stretches where there are no nearby alternative routes.
>
> Councillors were told that solutions for fairy-cycling were limited as the footprint of the road cannot be extended.
>
> Addressing rat running, Chris said: “It was very difficult to stop rat-run traffic as those doing it were local people.”

What is "rat running"?

Does it mean using one's knowledge of the local road network to get from
one place to another?

> At the Salisbury Area Board meeting, Chris said much of the work currently is about “making sure that the right people are having the right conversations.”
>
> He added: “We’ve essentially got three large schemes running through Salisbury. We’re looking at improving the traffic light signals throughout the city.

About time.

> "We’re then looking at the work which we’re looking to do with the A36 to improve the flow down there, and then that’s got to link in with the work that Wiltshire is doing with the Harnham Gyratory and Exeter Roundabouts.”
>
> https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/23377334.20m-committed-improve-a36-drivers-cyclists/

How about improving the A36 through Salisbury for motor traffic?

if ever one place needed a bypass, that place is Salisbury.

Re: £20m committed to improve A36 for cyclists

<ffcf0ceb-5b09-4be6-9908-8394649978c8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24517&group=uk.rec.cycling#24517

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 09:07:03 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re:_£20m_committed_to_improve_A36_for_cyclists
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 17:07 UTC

QUOTE: Addressing rat running, Chris said: “It was very difficult to stop rat-run traffic as those doing it were local people.” ENDS

Take your inspiration from LTNs and just restrict these rat runs.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / £20m committed to improve A36 for cyclists