It is wise to keep in mind that neither success nor failure is ever final. -- Roger Babson

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Walthamstow cyclist's anger after one key road is 'always blocked by line of illegal cars' as they slam council

SubjectAuthor
* Walthamstow cyclist's anger after one key road is 'always blocked byswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Walthamstow cyclist's anger after one key road isSpike
+* Re: Walthamstow cyclist's anger after one key road is 'always blockedswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Walthamstow cyclist's anger after one key road isSpike
|`- Re: Walthamstow fairy-cyclist's anger after one key road is 'alwaysJNugent
+* Re: Walthamstow cyclist's anger after one key road is 'always blockedswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Walthamstow cyclist's anger after one key road isSpike
|`* Re: Walthamstow cyclist's anger after one key road is 'always blockedswldx...@gmail.com
| +- Re: Walthamstow cyclist's anger after one key road isSpike
| `- Re: Walthamstow cyclist's anger after one key road is 'always blockedSimon Mason
`- Re: Walthamstow fairy-cyclist's anger after one key road is 'alwaysJNugent

1
Walthamstow cyclist's anger after one key road is 'always blocked by line of illegal cars' as they slam council

<4a660c69-2c52-4f19-9547-233cc53ddec0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24477&group=uk.rec.cycling#24477

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 22:17:46 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Walthamstow cyclist's anger after one key road is 'always blocked by
line of illegal cars' as they slam council
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 06:17 UTC

An East London cyclist has slammed the council after claims they have been faced with a familiar sight on their morning commute a number of days running. The cyclist, from Walthamstow, took to Twitter to air their grievances after spotting a line of what they described as "illegal" cars parked along the cycle lane on Forest Road.

In images captured by the cyclist, a line of vans can be seen parked over the top of a cycle lane, which the cyclist says is not only illegal but obviously dangerous as it means cyclists must weave into traffic in order to avoid the parked vehicles.

Taking to Twitter the cyclist wrote: "This is what happens when you build a non-continuous cycle lane. This is 9am: no parking, no loading. Even the best boroughs in the country has more to do...Come on @wfcouncil, let's finish the job. @Labourstone @GracieMaeW".

The cyclist then included shots from Google Maps that seem to perfectly capture the issue. A cyclist in pink can be spotted weaving out from behind the parked vehicles onto the main road as their path is blocked. The cyclist captured the photographs: "Google street view captures it perfectly. Now try this every day into a stream of traffic.."

Before continuing in their next tweet: "Groundhog day on Forest road (same vehicles!) Every day illegal rush hour parking & @wfcouncil inaction to enforce endangers lives on this busy route. Come on @GracieMaeW @Labourstone + ward councillors, install the missing 50 metres of cycle track and put an end to this".

Cycle lanes across the capital have often been a point of controversy. At the end of February, keen cyclist Jeremy Vine slammed a London bus for nearly hitting him while cycling through the city. Taking to Twitter, the TV personality and BBC Radio 2 presenter posted a video of the near miss, which showed a number 73 London bus turning in front of him.

In the video, Jeremy can be seen travelling down a road in the city when he approaches a set of traffic lights which were green. A bus can then be seen coming from the other direction, before turning in front of the radio presenter, narrowly avoiding a collision.

A number of fellow cyclist spoke out in support of TV star Jeremy, though some motorists are growing increasingly wary of the presence of cyclists on London roads.

Cllr Clyde Loakes, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for the Climate and Air Quality, told MyLondon: “We are still in the process of improving walking and cycle infrastructure along the full length of Forest Road in Walthamstow, as part of a long term project that began in 2015. This includes developing the eastern section of Forest Road between Hoe Street and Woodford New Road, as well as reviewing the road to see where further improvements can be made.

"To support our cyclists and pedestrians to travel safely, we are also considering how we use new powers from TfL to enforce against drivers of road vehicles caught crossing the white lines of mandatory cycle lanes across Waltham Forest, which are already in place along sections of Forest Road.

"And thanks to all the members of the public who help us find illegal parking in our controlled parking zones in Waltham Forest, we’ll always take action against drivers who are found to have parked illegally. Please request parking enforcement here."

https://www.mylondon.news/news/east-london-news/walthamstow-cyclists-anger-after-one-26439098

Re: Walthamstow cyclist's anger after one key road is 'always blocked by line of illegal cars' as they slam council

<k730jpF8s47U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24483&group=uk.rec.cycling#24483

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Walthamstow cyclist's anger after one key road is
'always blocked by line of illegal cars' as they slam council
Date: 11 Mar 2023 09:40:10 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 09:40 UTC

> Cycle lanes across the capital have often been a point of controversy. At
> the end of February, keen cyclist Jeremy Vine slammed a London bus for
> nearly hitting him while cycling through the city. Taking to Twitter, the
> TV personality and BBC Radio 2 presenter posted a video of the near miss,
> which showed a number 73 London bus turning in front of him.

> In the video, Jeremy can be seen travelling down a road in the city when
> he approaches a set of traffic lights which were green. A bus can then be
> seen coming from the other direction, before turning in front of the
> radio presenter, narrowly avoiding a collision.

According to St Jeremy’s own video, he cycled right up to the bus, which he
had had some five seconds vision of, blowing his silly hooter as he did so.

It was created out of a non-event by a drama queen.

--
Spike

Re: Walthamstow cyclist's anger after one key road is 'always blocked by line of illegal cars' as they slam council

<1cf18a82-a407-4346-816c-2c0af2054108n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24487&group=uk.rec.cycling#24487

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 03:14:39 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Walthamstow cyclist's anger after one key road is 'always blocked
by line of illegal cars' as they slam council
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 11:14 UTC

QUOTE: "And thanks to all the members of the public who help us find illegal parking in our controlled parking zones in Waltham Forest, we’ll always take action against drivers who are found to have parked illegally. ENDS

Need more Cycling Mikeys to crack down on these selfish scum.

Re: Walthamstow cyclist's anger after one key road is 'always blocked by line of illegal cars' as they slam council

<k73h9nFbbt6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24495&group=uk.rec.cycling#24495

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
'always blocked by line of illegal cars' as they slam council
Date: 11 Mar 2023 14:24:55 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 14:24 UTC

> Need more Cycling Mikeys to crack down on these selfish scum.
The last thing that is needed on the roads is self-appointed vigilantes
with a short-fused, aggressive, judgmental, and “I’ll put you on the
ground, matey” approach to situations.

--
Spike

Re: Walthamstow cyclist's anger after one key road is 'always blocked by line of illegal cars' as they slam council

<c34bb26b-fe2e-4580-9bf7-f8c0e58f790dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24496&group=uk.rec.cycling#24496

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 06:45:32 -0800 (PST)
by line of illegal cars' as they slam council
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 14:45 UTC

QUOTE: A number of fellow cyclists spoke out in support of TV star Jeremy, though some motorists are growing increasingly wary of the presence of cyclists on London roads. ENDS

Excellent news - the threat of getting filmed whilst breaking the law is sinking in.
Well done, Mikey et al.

Re: Walthamstow cyclist's anger after one key road is 'always blocked by line of illegal cars' as they slam council

<k73k0sFbo3hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24500&group=uk.rec.cycling#24500

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
'always blocked by line of illegal cars' as they slam council
Date: 11 Mar 2023 15:11:24 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 15:11 UTC

> QUOTE: A number of fellow cyclists spoke out in support of TV star
> Jeremy, though some motorists are growing increasingly wary of the
> presence of cyclists on London roads. ENDS

> Excellent news - the threat of getting filmed whilst breaking the law is sinking in.

> Well done, Mikey et al.

And how advisable is making a video with oneself on it saying to someone
“I’ll put you on the ground, matey”?

The videotaker had better hope that no-one uploads that one to a police web
site. Might only get a caution, but that’s a *criminal record*.

--
Spike

Re: Walthamstow fairy-cyclist's anger after one key road is 'always blocked by line of illegal cars' as they slam council

<k73oc2Fccs4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24508&group=uk.rec.cycling#24508

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Walthamstow fairy-cyclist's anger after one key road is 'always
blocked by line of illegal cars' as they slam council
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 16:25:38 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 16:25 UTC

On 11/03/2023 06:17 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> An East London fairy-cyclist has slammed the council after claims they have been faced with a familiar sight on their morning commute a number of days running. The fairy-cyclist, from Walthamstow, took to Twitter to air their grievances after spotting a line of what they described as "illegal" cars parked along the cycle lane on Forest Road.
>
> In images captured by the fairy-cyclist, a line of vans can be seen parked over the top of a fairy-cycle lane, which the cyclist says is not only illegal but obviously dangerous as it means fairy-cyclists must weave into traffic in order to avoid the parked vehicles.

They don't "have to" at all.

The fairy-cyclists could just wait for the stationary delivery vans to
move off.

Have a bit of patience, fairy-cyclists!

> Taking to Twitter the fairy-cyclist wrote: "This is what happens when you build a non-continuous fairy-cycle lane. This is 9am: no parking, no loading. Even the best boroughs in the country has more to do...Come on @wfcouncil, let's finish the job. @Labourstone @GracieMaeW".
>
> The fairy-cyclist then included shots from Google Maps that seem to perfectly capture the issue. A fairy-cyclist in pink [how fitting! - Ed.] can be spotted weaving out from behind the parked vehicles onto the main road as their path is blocked. The fairy-cyclist captured the photographs: "Google street view captures it perfectly. Now try this every day into a stream of traffic.."
>
> Before continuing in their next tweet: "Groundhog day on Forest road (same vehicles!) Every day illegal rush hour parking & @wfcouncil inaction to enforce endangers lives on this busy route. Come on @GracieMaeW @Labourstone + ward councillors, install the missing 50 metres of fairy-cycle track and put an end to this".

So... are the "illegal" (!!! :-) ) delivery vans stopped in a
fairy-cycle lane (WTMB) or are they in the allegedly "missing 50 metres
of fairy-cycle track" (ie, not on a fairy-cycle track at all)?

> Fairy-cycle lanes across the capital have often been a point of controversy.

You don't say!

> At the end of February, keen fairy-cyclist Jeremy Vine slammed a London bus for nearly hitting him while fairy-cycling through the city.

How does a bus fairy-cycle in the city (or anywhere else)?

That is anthropomorphism taken to extremes.

[Oooh! *Six* syllables there... Mason will need an even bigger
dictionary. That's if he understands what a dictionary is. After all,
the very word has at least four syllables - and arguably five.]

>Taking to Twitter, the TV personality and BBC Radio 2 presenter posted a video of the near miss, which showed a number 73 London bus turning in front of him.
> In the video, Jeremy can be seen travelling down a road in the city when he approaches a set of traffic lights which were green. A bus can then be seen coming from the other direction, before turning in front of the radio presenter, narrowly avoiding a collision.
> A number of fellow fairy-cyclist spoke out in support of TV star Jeremy, though some motorists are growing increasingly wary of the presence of fairy-cyclists on London roads.
> Cllr Clyde Loakes, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for the Climate and Air Quality, told MyLondon: “We are still in the process of improving walking and fairy-cycle infrastructure along the full length of Forest Road in Walthamstow, as part of a long term project that began in 2015. This includes developing the eastern section of Forest Road between Hoe Street and Woodford New Road, as well as reviewing the road to see where further improvements can be made.
> "To support our fairy-cyclists and pedestrians to travel safely, we are also considering how we use new powers from TfL to enforce against drivers of road vehicles caught crossing the white lines of mandatory fairy-cycle lanes across Waltham Forest, which are already in place along sections of Forest Road.
> "And thanks to all the members of the public who help us find illegal parking in our controlled parking zones in Waltham Forest, we’ll always take action against drivers who are found to have parked illegally. Please request parking enforcement here."
> https://www.mylondon.news/news/east-london-news/walthamstow-cyclists-anger-after-one-26439098

Why don't "the fairy-cyclist" and his mates (if he has any) go around to
the local council offices and do a big collective bout of irritated foot
stamping?

That'd be impressive.

Or something.

Re: Walthamstow fairy-cyclist's anger after one key road is 'always blocked by line of illegal cars' as they slam council

<k73og6Fccs4U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24509&group=uk.rec.cycling#24509

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
blocked by line of illegal cars' as they slam council
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 16:27:50 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 16:27 UTC

On 11/03/2023 11:14 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> QUOTE: "And thanks to all the members of the public who help us find illegal parking in our controlled parking zones in Waltham Forest, we’ll always take action against drivers who are found to have parked illegally. ENDS
>
> Need more FairyCyclingMickeytakes to crack down on these selfish scum.

People who stop their delivery vans (in order to make deliveries) within
a 50 metre stretch of the road where there is no fairy-cycle lane?

How about private ambulances outside the premises of undertakers?

Re: Walthamstow cyclist's anger after one key road is 'always blocked by line of illegal cars' as they slam council

<b8539f03-134d-4fca-abba-e1edcabfea3an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24523&group=uk.rec.cycling#24523

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 09:14:53 -0800 (PST)
by line of illegal cars' as they slam council
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 17:14 UTC

On Saturday, March 11, 2023 at 2:45:33 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: A number of fellow cyclists spoke out in support of TV star Jeremy, though some motorists are growing increasingly wary of the presence of cyclists on London roads. ENDS
>
> Excellent news - the threat of getting filmed whilst breaking the law is sinking in.
> Well done, Mikey et al.

Jeremy has a 3D camera that can film drivers in their cars using their phones.
Most impressive.

Re: Walthamstow cyclist's anger after one key road is 'always blocked by line of illegal cars' as they slam council

<k73vk5Fdfp4U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24537&group=uk.rec.cycling#24537

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
'always blocked by line of illegal cars' as they slam council
Date: 11 Mar 2023 18:29:25 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 18:29 UTC

> On Saturday, March 11, 2023 at 2:45:33 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> QUOTE: A number of fellow cyclists spoke out in support of TV star
>> Jeremy, though some motorists are growing increasingly wary of the
>> presence of cyclists on London roads. ENDS
>>
>> Excellent news - the threat of getting filmed whilst breaking the law is sinking in.
>> Well done, Mikey et al.
>
> Jeremy has a 3D camera that can film drivers in their cars using their phones.
> Most impressive.

I’ll bet St Jeremy’s 3D camera films cyclists jumping red lights, but of
course he wouldn’t show those…🙄

--
Spike

Re: Walthamstow cyclist's anger after one key road is 'always blocked by line of illegal cars' as they slam council

<96673d56-164d-40ee-b85a-be984055c27fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24538&group=uk.rec.cycling#24538

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 10:33:26 -0800 (PST)
by line of illegal cars' as they slam council
From: swldxer2...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 18:33 UTC

On Saturday, 11 March 2023 at 17:14:54 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, March 11, 2023 at 2:45:33 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > QUOTE: A number of fellow cyclists spoke out in support of TV star Jeremy, though some motorists are growing increasingly wary of the presence of cyclists on London roads. ENDS
> >
> > Excellent news - the threat of getting filmed whilst breaking the law is sinking in.
> > Well done, Mikey et al.
> Jeremy has a 3D camera that can film drivers in their cars using their phones.
> Most impressive.

Still has some way to go to have the number of "kills" that Mikey has though.