From: bill.pa...@my.home (Bill P)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Slow laptop?
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 11:41:07 +0000
 by: Bill P - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 11:41 UTC

Before I take it to the repair shop, How do you sort your slow laptop?
--
Bill P.
Shildon,

https://www.avg.com

Re: Slow laptop?

<65aaogpkgbgd04is8uht81mph8aujb6g78@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2459&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2459

From: edward.h...@btinternet.com (Graham Harrison)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Re: Slow laptop?
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 12:53:35 +0000
 by: Graham Harrison - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 12:53 UTC

On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 11:41:07 +0000, Bill P <bill.payer@my.home> wrote:

>Before I take it to the repair shop, How do you sort your slow laptop?
>--
>Bill P.
>Shildon,
>Cradle of the Railways,
>County Durham.
>Land of the Prince Bishops.

Clear caches
Defragment the disc IF it is not a solid state device.
Depending on the age and practicality add more RAM and replace the
disc with a solid state drive - I did that with an oldish laptop and
it has kept it running well some three years later.

Re: Slow laptop?

<sm40jd$a8s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2461&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2461

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 19:27:34 +0000
 by: Indy Jess John - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 19:27 UTC

On 05/11/2021 12:53, Graham Harrison wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 11:41:07 +0000, Bill P<bill.payer@my.home> wrote:
>
>> Before I take it to the repair shop, How do you sort your slow laptop?
>> --
>> Bill P.
>> Shildon,
>> Cradle of the Railways,
>> County Durham.
>> Land of the Prince Bishops.
>
> Clear caches
> Defragment the disc IF it is not a solid state device.
> Depending on the age and practicality add more RAM and replace the
> disc with a solid state drive - I did that with an oldish laptop and
> it has kept it running well some three years later.

Good advice there. However, replacing the disc with a solid state drive
requires the ability to create a clone of the one currently in use, and
if you don't think you are up to that, you can skip that bit. Adding
more memory does make quite a difference. Crucial has a scanner
https://uk.crucial.com/
that examines your laptop and tells you what is currently fitted and
what the maximum upgrade is. I have used it and it doesn't put any
nasties on your machine, and their products have a good reputation for
longevity and their prices are reasonable.

It can also slow a laptop down if the disc is nearly full. If you have
less than 20% spare, see if there is anything you don't want and delete
that.

The other thing that can slow a laptop down is if it has been sent to
sleep rather than being shut down completely. Some versions of Win 10
look as though they are a complete shut down but they are not; they send
it into hibernation so that it boots up quicker. I don't use Win10 so I
can't advise on how to d a complete shut down, but probably there will
be someone reading this thread who can. Some of the Microsoft functions
do seem to grab memory and not give it back properly so that the amount
the processor has at its disposal gets less and less. Before you start
any of the ideas offered here, do shut the computer down completely and
reboot it.

Jim

Re: Slow laptop?

<sm6go9$v05$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2468&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2468

From: ofs...@blackyonder.co.uk (Oliver)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 18:15:36 +0000
 by: Oliver - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 18:15 UTC

On 05/11/2021 11:41, Bill P wrote:
> Before I take it to the repair shop, How do you sort your slow laptop?

First thing I would do is check for "nasties" by running free versions
of Malwarebytes and Superantispyware.

Second is get rid of any software with Norton or McAfee in the title.

--
Oliver

Re: Slow laptop?

<sm6h0h$11p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2469&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2469

From: ofs...@blackyonder.co.uk (Oliver)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 18:19:59 +0000
 by: Oliver - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 18:19 UTC

On 05/11/2021 19:27, Indy Jess John wrote:
> Before you start any of the ideas offered here, do shut the computer
> down completely and reboot it.

To be certain a laptop is shut down completely, I hold the on/off button
down and count up to 20 slowly. If it's on you will hear it click off.
Windows might have a moan at you later but it sure shuts it down.

--
Oliver

Re: Slow laptop?

<sm6t81$pak$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2470&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2470

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 21:48:42 +0000
 by: Indy Jess John - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 21:48 UTC

On 06/11/2021 18:15, Oliver wrote:
> On 05/11/2021 11:41, Bill P wrote:
>> Before I take it to the repair shop, How do you sort your slow laptop?
>
> First thing I would do is check for "nasties" by running free versions
> of Malwarebytes and Superantispyware.
>
> Second is get rid of any software with Norton or McAfee in the title.

I have never had any dealings with McAfee, but I did once have a
computer with Norton pre-installed. To remove it I had to get a (free)
piece of uninstaller software from the Norton website.

Jim

Re: Slow laptop?

<sm8hqs$m23$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2475&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2475

From: ofs...@blackyonder.co.uk (Oliver)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 12:46:19 +0000
 by: Oliver - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 12:46 UTC

On 06/11/2021 21:48, Indy Jess John wrote:
> I have never had any dealings with McAfee, but I did once have a
> computer with Norton pre-installed.  To remove it I had to get a (free)
> piece of uninstaller software from the Norton website.

Me too.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881

--
Oliver