The reward for working hard is more hard work.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Toof wrangler

SubjectAuthor
* Toof wranglerPeter
+- Toof wranglerBrian Gaff
+* Toof wranglertahiri
|+- Toof wranglerRichard Robinson
|+* Toof wranglerPeter
||`- Toof wranglerTease'n'Seize
|`- Toof wranglerTease'n'Seize
`- Toof wrangler - updatetahiri

1
Toof wrangler

<XnsB076718EEEEADFactura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24689&group=uk.rec.sheds#24689

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Toof wrangler
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 10:09:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 10:09 UTC

I spent 2 hours in the qragvfg'f chair yesterday afternoon, with my mouth
wide open. Quite tiring, and so was the bill. Though he was most insistent
that I admire his new toy (oo-err), which I must admit was quite
impressive.

'Twas an imaging system - a tiny camera and a light on the end of a wand
which he waved around inside and outside my mouth. This fed an image
processing system - a picture of my broken toof on a ginormous screen
slowly built up and stabilised as he waved the wand around my mouth,
apparently at random. Then with a flourish, he pressed a virtual button on
the screen which sent the imagery off to the dental lab where they will
make a crown for the toof.

It all took quite a while and was rather uncomfortable. Previously he has
just pressed my gnashers into epoxy to make a physical mold for the lab.
Much easier for the patient (though I didn't prick his bubble by saying so)
but I guess a lot of the faffing round was because he's still learning how
to use it.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Toof wrangler

<ud6vjr$1uehs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24690&group=uk.rec.sheds#24690

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Toof wrangler
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 11:23:54 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 10:23 UTC

Humph, well when I needed a bridge, in the old days it was made by a
technetium at the practice. Now though its all measured by lasers and sent
to a guy in Sussex where he made one and sent it back, but Royal Mail lost
it and he had to make another one.
Its been some years now so I'd expect its all done by robots by now.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Peter" <myshed@prune.org.uk> wrote in message
>I spent 2 hours in the qragvfg'f chair yesterday afternoon, with my mouth
> wide open. Quite tiring, and so was the bill. Though he was most insistent
> that I admire his new toy (oo-err), which I must admit was quite
> impressive.
>
> 'Twas an imaging system - a tiny camera and a light on the end of a wand
> which he waved around inside and outside my mouth. This fed an image
> processing system - a picture of my broken toof on a ginormous screen
> slowly built up and stabilised as he waved the wand around my mouth,
> apparently at random. Then with a flourish, he pressed a virtual button on
> the screen which sent the imagery off to the dental lab where they will
> make a crown for the toof.
>
> It all took quite a while and was rather uncomfortable. Previously he has
> just pressed my gnashers into epoxy to make a physical mold for the lab.
> Much easier for the patient (though I didn't prick his bubble by saying
> so)
> but I guess a lot of the faffing round was because he's still learning how
> to use it.
>
> --
> Peter
> -----

Re: Toof wrangler

<3aWdnZg7ubf1lGr5nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24693&group=uk.rec.sheds#24693

Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 11:56:40 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tahi...@tanygraig.force9.co.uk (tahiri)
 by: tahiri - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 10:56 UTC

On 05/09/2023 11:09, Peter wrote:
> I spent 2 hours in the qragvfg'f chair yesterday afternoon, with my mouth
> wide open. Quite tiring, and so was the bill. Though he was most insistent
> that I admire his new toy (oo-err), which I must admit was quite
> impressive.
>
> 'Twas an imaging system - a tiny camera and a light on the end of a wand
> which he waved around inside and outside my mouth. This fed an image
> processing system - a picture of my broken toof on a ginormous screen
> slowly built up and stabilised as he waved the wand around my mouth,
> apparently at random. Then with a flourish, he pressed a virtual button on
> the screen which sent the imagery off to the dental lab where they will
> make a crown for the toof.
>
> It all took quite a while and was rather uncomfortable. Previously he has
> just pressed my gnashers into epoxy to make a physical mold for the lab.
> Much easier for the patient (though I didn't prick his bubble by saying so)
> but I guess a lot of the faffing round was because he's still learning how
> to use it.

why was it uncomfortable? I was expecting the process to be far
preferable to having all that stuff in your mouth. (I shall be finding
out shortly)

Re: Toof wrangler

<ud74pj$1v6re$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24695&group=uk.rec.sheds#24695

From: rich...@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 11:52:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 11:52 UTC

tahiri said:
> On 05/09/2023 11:09, Peter wrote:
>> I spent 2 hours in the qragvfg'f chair yesterday afternoon, with my mouth
>> wide open. Quite tiring, and so was the bill. Though he was most insistent
>> that I admire his new toy (oo-err), which I must admit was quite
>> impressive.
>>
>> 'Twas an imaging system - a tiny camera and a light on the end of a wand
>> which he waved around inside and outside my mouth. This fed an image
>> processing system - a picture of my broken toof on a ginormous screen
>> slowly built up and stabilised as he waved the wand around my mouth,
>> apparently at random. Then with a flourish, he pressed a virtual button on
>> the screen which sent the imagery off to the dental lab where they will
>> make a crown for the toof.
>>
>> It all took quite a while and was rather uncomfortable. Previously he has
>> just pressed my gnashers into epoxy to make a physical mold for the lab.
>> Much easier for the patient (though I didn't prick his bubble by saying so)
>> but I guess a lot of the faffing round was because he's still learning how
>> to use it.
>>
> why was it uncomfortable? I was expecting the process to be far
> preferable to having all that stuff in your mouth. (I shall be finding
> out shortly)

When I was a kid, I had monster gadgets shoved into my mouth in order to
take plaster-casts (well, but presumably waterproof) of the top/bottom
row. It made me gag something horrible and I hated it.

That was in order to fill my mouth with bits of metal and rubber bands
for the next few years, which I also hated. The idea was to straighten
my teeth. Many years later, my teeth are as crooked as they ever were.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Toof wrangler

<XnsB076A359E4D71Factura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24714&group=uk.rec.sheds#24714

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 15:03:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 15:03 UTC

tahiri <tahiri2@tanygraig.force9.co.uk> wrote in

> why was it uncomfortable? I was expecting the process to be far
> preferable to having all that stuff in your mouth. (I shall be finding
> out shortly)

It took him several minutes and all that time a fairly sizable chunk of
plastic was being waved around my mouth while he watched the image slowly
build up on the screen. I don't think he had quite got the hang of it - he
did say that it was only the second time he'd used it. The epoxy mold method
takes but a few seconds.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Toof wrangler

<uJCcnTZ8FbbI7Gr5nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24728&group=uk.rec.sheds#24728

Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 19:20:05 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 18:20 UTC

tahiri wrote:

> why was it uncomfortable?

having your gob wide-open for ages does tend to get painful ...

Re: Toof wrangler

<uJCcnTF8FbZI7Gr5nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24729&group=uk.rec.sheds#24729

Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 19:22:14 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 18:22 UTC

Peter wrote:

> The epoxy mold method takes but a few seconds.

I dont mind that on lower gnashers, but for the upper ones, especially
if the overfill the mould so it's oozing out, having that pressed to the
roof of my mouth molishes me to gag.

Re: Toof wrangler - update

<KAqdnVl-iJQHqGL5nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24955&group=uk.rec.sheds#24955

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 16:43:21 +0100
Subject: Re: Toof wrangler - update
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tahi...@tanygraig.force9.co.uk (tahiri)
 by: tahiri - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 15:43 UTC

On 05/09/2023 11:09, Peter wrote:
> I spent 2 hours in the qragvfg'f chair yesterday afternoon, with my mouth
> wide open. Quite tiring, and so was the bill. Though he was most insistent
> that I admire his new toy (oo-err), which I must admit was quite
> impressive.
>
> 'Twas an imaging system - a tiny camera and a light on the end of a wand
> which he waved around inside and outside my mouth. This fed an image
> processing system - a picture of my broken toof on a ginormous screen
> slowly built up and stabilised as he waved the wand around my mouth,
> apparently at random. Then with a flourish, he pressed a virtual button on
> the screen which sent the imagery off to the dental lab where they will
> make a crown for the toof.
>
> It all took quite a while and was rather uncomfortable. Previously he has
> just pressed my gnashers into epoxy to make a physical mold for the lab.
> Much easier for the patient (though I didn't prick his bubble by saying so)
> but I guess a lot of the faffing round was because he's still learning how
> to use it.

Well I have been to see my dentist and his similar machine now. I
thought it was a great improvement over choking on a tray of gunge! Okay
it did take a few minutes scanning to do the whole mouth, but it will
only do 38 seconds maximum at one go. I know because the dental nurse
asked him. It plays a tune to tell you when it is actually scanning so
you know when you can swallow or relax a bit. What is more you don't
have to keep completely still as you would with an xray because 'the
machine compensates'. Probably the software but I know what he meant.
Unfortunatley the picture of your teeth and gums is in full colour,
which is depressing if they are as discoloured and filled as mine!