Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Any Chance Of A Lift?

SubjectAuthor
* Any Chance Of A Lift?Tone
+* Any Chance Of A Lift?Peter
|`- Any Chance Of A Lift?Tone
+* Any Chance Of A Lift?James Heaton
|`- Any Chance Of A Lift?Nicholas D. Richards
+- Any Chance Of A Lift?Brian Gaff
`- Any Chance Of A Lift?Mike Fleming

1
Any Chance Of A Lift?

<ucvbo0$e0db$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24551&group=uk.rec.sheds#24551

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Any Chance Of A Lift?
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 14:01:51 +0100
 by: Tone - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 13:01 UTC

I was due to visit the prospective X^4 today. But she messaged me to
tell me that where she lives the lift has broken down, and I can't do
stairs any more. She's on the first floor (UK).

Given that she lives in sheltered accommodation and that there is
another floor above her, where most elderly folks rely upon the lift, I
do wonder why there is no alternative. Here, where I live in a similar
situation, we have a lift and a stair lift.

It is a different company though.

Time for a tracked mobility scooter that can climb stairs safely?

It possibly could be done if the tracks can be angled to fit the stairs.
Using AI I'm sure that could even be automatic; the chair would be kept
upright whatever the tracks do.

Gissa grant.

Or campaign for a stair lift.

Tone

Re: Any Chance Of A Lift?

<XnsB073A15984852Factura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24552&group=uk.rec.sheds#24552

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Any Chance Of A Lift?
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 14:51:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 14:51 UTC

Tone <tone@email.com> wrote in news:ucvbo0$e0db$1@dont-email.me:

> I was due to visit the prospective X^4 today.

I've lost track. I guaxed that we were up to X^6 now.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Any Chance Of A Lift?

<ucvom2$fqqs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24554&group=uk.rec.sheds#24554

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 17:42:42 +0100
 by: Tone - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 16:42 UTC

On 02/09/2023 15:51, Peter wrote:
> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote in news:ucvbo0$e0db$1@dont-email.me:
>
>> I was due to visit the prospective X^4 today.
>
> I've lost track. I guaxed that we were up to X^6 now.

I'm losing count.

Tone

Re: Any Chance Of A Lift?

<ud044p$haqe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24558&group=uk.rec.sheds#24558

From: heatonan...@gmail.com (James Heaton)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 20:58:17 +0100
 by: James Heaton - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 19:58 UTC

On 02/09/2023 14:01, Tone wrote:
> I was due to visit the prospective X^4 today. But she messaged me to
> tell me that where she lives the lift has broken down, and I can't do
> stairs any more. She's on the first floor (UK).
>
> Given that she lives in sheltered accommodation and that there is
> another floor above her, where most elderly folks rely upon the lift, I
> do wonder why there is no alternative. Here, where I live in a similar
> situation, we have a lift and a stair lift.

It seems to be a depressingly common situation in east anglian sheltered
schemes. Eastern Daily Press has a standard story set up for it I think!

There appears to be no commonality of lifts, and limited/no stock of
spare parts meaning it can be several weeks before service restored.

Doesn't seem specific to one provider either.

James

Re: Any Chance Of A Lift?

<dCro4iA7Q68kFAYQ@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24561&group=uk.rec.sheds#24561

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 22:08:11 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 21:08 UTC

In article <ud044p$haqe$1@dont-email.me>, James Heaton
<heatonandmoore@gmail.com> on Sat, 2 Sep 2023 at 20:58:17 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On 02/09/2023 14:01, Tone wrote:
>> I was due to visit the prospective X^4 today. But she messaged me to
>> tell me that where she lives the lift has broken down, and I can't do
>> stairs any more. She's on the first floor (UK).
>>
>> Given that she lives in sheltered accommodation and that there is
>> another floor above her, where most elderly folks rely upon the lift, I
>> do wonder why there is no alternative. Here, where I live in a similar
>> situation, we have a lift and a stair lift.
>
>It seems to be a depressingly common situation in east anglian sheltered
>schemes. Eastern Daily Press has a standard story set up for it I think!
>
>There appears to be no commonality of lifts, and limited/no stock of
>spare parts meaning it can be several weeks before service restored.
>
>Doesn't seem specific to one provider either.
>
>James

Its a problem of the 'just in time economy'.

While I can understand it (just) for underground escalators which they
claim each is unique. But lifts in buildings, I ask you!
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Any Chance Of A Lift?

<ud1umq$todt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24597&group=uk.rec.sheds#24597

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 13:37:45 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 12:37 UTC

What about one of those things they use at airports. High Lifts, they use
them to get people in very wide wheelchairs on and off of planes. They are a
kind of concertina/pantograph design raising and lowering the body of the
vehicle. Of course you then need an opening in the wall to be made which
might not be that convenient.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Tone" <tone@email.com> wrote in message news:ucvbo0$e0db$1@dont-email.me...
>I was due to visit the prospective X^4 today. But she messaged me to tell
>me that where she lives the lift has broken down, and I can't do stairs any
>more. She's on the first floor (UK).
>
> Given that she lives in sheltered accommodation and that there is another
> floor above her, where most elderly folks rely upon the lift, I do wonder
> why there is no alternative. Here, where I live in a similar situation, we
> have a lift and a stair lift.
>
> It is a different company though.
>
> Time for a tracked mobility scooter that can climb stairs safely?
>
> It possibly could be done if the tracks can be angled to fit the stairs.
> Using AI I'm sure that could even be automatic; the chair would be kept
> upright whatever the tracks do.
>
> Gissa grant.
>
> Or campaign for a stair lift.
>
> Tone

Re: Any Chance Of A Lift?

<klpog0Fmkd0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24737&group=uk.rec.sheds#24737

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 23:30:22 +0100
 by: Mike Fleming - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 22:30 UTC

On 02/09/2023 14:01, Tone wrote:
> I was due to visit the prospective X^4 today. But she messaged me to
> tell me that where she lives the lift has broken down, and I can't do
> stairs any more. She's on the first floor (UK).
>
> Given that she lives in sheltered accommodation and that there is
> another floor above her, where most elderly folks rely upon the lift, I
> do wonder why there is no alternative. Here, where I live in a similar
> situation, we have a lift and a stair lift.
>
> It is a different company though.
>
> Time for a tracked mobility scooter that can climb stairs safely?

There is the reverse of this, the evac chair - SWMBO was involved in
selling these about a decade ago. Some were used getting people out of
the twin towers on 11/9, very successfully. You can wheel people down
stairsw, but not up.