From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: "Hacking" BR computer systems
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 09:54:16 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 09:54 UTC

In message <t2nr1hdik5ghn3t8e8ota56jqnatfdpfjo@4ax.com>, at 08:46:00 on
Tue, 1 Mar 2022, Graham Harrison <edward.harrisom.one@btinternet.com>
remarked:
>This is a story about hackers claiming to disrupt some Belarus Railway
>systems
>https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/01/25/belarus-railway-hacktivi
>st-russia-ukraine-cyberattack/
>Is it true? I have absolutely no idea.
>
>However, it did make me wonder how vulnerable computer systems on UK
>railways might be to hacking.

The article says that the hackers weren't planning on affecting any
security or "automation" systems, although nevertheless things are
speculated to have been brought to a standstill. Lots of "but we can't
confirm that" type wording.

Sounds like a classic ransomware attack, which can to some extent be
mitigated by not mixing email and signalling apps on the same server.

Or has it in fact just affected their online booking systems?

Maybe the Russian troops don't need train tickets (guns work better).
--
Roland Perry

Re: "Hacking" BR computer systems

<svl1n6$kov$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24780&group=uk.railway#24780

From: non...@nowhere.net (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 11:57:27 +0000
 by: Certes - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 11:57 UTC

On 01/03/2022 09:54, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <t2nr1hdik5ghn3t8e8ota56jqnatfdpfjo@4ax.com>, at 08:46:00 on
> Tue, 1 Mar 2022, Graham Harrison <edward.harrisom.one@btinternet.com>
> remarked:
>> This is a story about hackers claiming to disrupt some Belarus Railway
>> systems
>> https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/01/25/belarus-railway-hacktivi
>> st-russia-ukraine-cyberattack/
>> Is it true? I have absolutely no idea.
>>
>> However, it did make me wonder how vulnerable computer systems on UK
>> railways might be to hacking.
>
> The article says that the hackers weren't planning on affecting any
> security or "automation" systems, although nevertheless things are
> speculated to have been brought to a standstill. Lots of "but we can't
> confirm that" type wording.
>
> Sounds like a classic ransomware attack, which can to some extent be
> mitigated by not mixing email and signalling apps on the same server.
>
> Or has it in fact just affected their online booking systems?
>
> Maybe the Russian troops don't need train tickets (guns work better).

Restriction code AK47: valid on all services between 00:01 and 23:59.