Accuracy, n.: The vice of being right

aus+uk / aus.tv / Re: Who likes retrospective episodes?

SubjectAuthor
* Who likes retrospective episodes?Sylvia Else
+* Re: Who likes retrospective episodes?Peter Jason
|`* Re: Who likes retrospective episodes?Sylvia Else
| +- Re: Who likes retrospective episodes?Peter Jason
| `- Re: Who likes retrospective episodes?Falscher Bruce
+- Re: Who likes retrospective episodes?Computer Nerd Kev
+* Re: Who likes retrospective episodes?keithr0
|`* Re: Who likes retrospective episodes?Sylvia Else
| `* Re: Who likes retrospective episodes?Peter Jason
|  `- Re: Who likes retrospective episodes?Sylvia Else
`- Re: Who likes retrospective episodes?Sylvia Else

1
Who likes retrospective episodes?

<idhp4eFadfpU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18&group=aus.tv#18

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Subject: Who likes retrospective episodes?
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 12:20:17 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Mon, 12 Apr 2021 02:20 UTC

You know the ones I mean. A thinly disguised plot device is used as an
excuse to reuse lots of footage from previous episodes.

I hate this, and I've rather assumed everyone else does (except the
producers, who get a cheap episode).

But am I right?

Sylvia.

Re: Who likes retrospective episodes?

<67h77glasvc0urte5d1n0pqhr2mang1d3r@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19&group=aus.tv#19

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Subject: Re: Who likes retrospective episodes?
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 13:59:05 +1000
 by: Peter Jason - Mon, 12 Apr 2021 03:59 UTC

On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 12:20:17 +1000, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid>
wrote:

>You know the ones I mean. A thinly disguised plot device is used as an
>excuse to reuse lots of footage from previous episodes.
>
>I hate this, and I've rather assumed everyone else does (except the
>producers, who get a cheap episode).
>
>But am I right?
>
>Sylvia.

Not me. Of course there is the PVR which can record episodes allowing
one to ride the remote and fast-forward through the crap.

Ever noticed the supreme skill of these hustlers in stretching
15minutes of content into 60min viewing time?

Re: Who likes retrospective episodes?

<idi4mkFcggfU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20&group=aus.tv#20

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 15:37:42 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Mon, 12 Apr 2021 05:37 UTC

On 12-Apr-21 1:59 pm, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 12:20:17 +1000, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> You know the ones I mean. A thinly disguised plot device is used as an
>> excuse to reuse lots of footage from previous episodes.
>>
>> I hate this, and I've rather assumed everyone else does (except the
>> producers, who get a cheap episode).
>>
>> But am I right?
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> Not me. Of course there is the PVR which can record episodes allowing
> one to ride the remote and fast-forward through the crap.
>
> Ever noticed the supreme skill of these hustlers in stretching
> 15minutes of content into 60min viewing time?

Certainly, the PVR is a great help in these situations, but it doesn't
remove the problem that one expected 40 minutes of viewing (after
skipping the advertisements in a 1 hour program), and it turns out only
to be 15 :(

Sylvia.

Re: Who likes retrospective episodes?

<s52m3s$1lj0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21&group=aus.tv#21

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 23:46:04 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Mon, 12 Apr 2021 23:46 UTC

Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote:
> You know the ones I mean. A thinly disguised plot device is used as an
> excuse to reuse lots of footage from previous episodes.
>
> I hate this, and I've rather assumed everyone else does (except the
> producers, who get a cheap episode).
>
> But am I right?

Michael Palin's one would have been alright if it wasn't so padded
out with nonsense from talking heads besides Palin himself.

The reason for them is obvious at the moment since stuff made
pre-pandemic has all been shown by now. Hence I'm not finding much
to watch on TV at all these days (it was bad enough before).

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Who likes retrospective episodes?

<14u97g1edko6vdnblk49ar7lfkn6tume32@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22&group=aus.tv#22

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 11:51:20 +1000
 by: Peter Jason - Tue, 13 Apr 2021 01:51 UTC

On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 15:37:42 +1000, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid>
wrote:

>On 12-Apr-21 1:59 pm, Peter Jason wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 12:20:17 +1000, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> You know the ones I mean. A thinly disguised plot device is used as an
>>> excuse to reuse lots of footage from previous episodes.
>>>
>>> I hate this, and I've rather assumed everyone else does (except the
>>> producers, who get a cheap episode).
>>>
>>> But am I right?
>>>
>>> Sylvia.
>>
>> Not me. Of course there is the PVR which can record episodes allowing
>> one to ride the remote and fast-forward through the crap.
>>
>> Ever noticed the supreme skill of these hustlers in stretching
>> 15minutes of content into 60min viewing time?
>>

>Certainly, the PVR is a great help in these situations, but it doesn't
>remove the problem that one expected 40 minutes of viewing (after
>skipping the advertisements in a 1 hour program), and it turns out only
>to be 15 :(
>
>Sylvia.

I used to record favorite movies on TV to DVD platters. Using
software I could excise the ads which took up +33% of the viewing
time. Some popular movies had 50% ads.

Re: Who likes retrospective episodes?

<2c457013-798f-406d-b360-bc32f7ab492en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23&group=aus.tv#23

Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 18:34:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruc...@topmail.co.nz (Falscher Bruce)
 by: Falscher Bruce - Sat, 17 Apr 2021 01:34 UTC

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 1:38:31 PM UTC+8, Sylvia Else wrote:

> Certainly, the PVR is a great help in these situations, but it doesn't
> remove the problem that one expected 40 minutes of viewing (after
> skipping the advertisements in a 1 hour program), and it turns out only
> to be 15 :(
>
> Sylvia.

The "Classic Countdown" on ABC was okay - no adverts.

Re: Who likes retrospective episodes?

<ie25dtFges9U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24&group=aus.tv#24

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 17:29:00 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Sun, 18 Apr 2021 07:29 UTC

On 12/04/2021 12:20 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> You know the ones I mean. A thinly disguised plot device is used as an
> excuse to reuse lots of footage from previous episodes.
>
> I hate this, and I've rather assumed everyone else does (except the
> producers, who get a cheap episode).
>
> But am I right?
>
> Sylvia.

The most annoying thing is when they give a precis of the previous
segment after the ads in case you have the attention span of a flea.
Recording a show and fast forwarding through the ads and other annoying
bits is the best idea. There is an hour show that I like to watch, but I
get through it in 25 min by FFing the filler bits.

Re: Who likes retrospective episodes?

<iebr2jFd0bjU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25&group=aus.tv#25

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 09:32:31 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Wed, 21 Apr 2021 23:32 UTC

On 18-Apr-21 5:29 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 12/04/2021 12:20 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>> You know the ones I mean. A thinly disguised plot device is used as an
>> excuse to reuse lots of footage from previous episodes.
>>
>> I hate this, and I've rather assumed everyone else does (except the
>> producers, who get a cheap episode).
>>
>> But am I right?
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> The most annoying thing is when they give a precis of the previous
> segment after the ads in case you have the attention span of a flea.
> Recording a show and fast forwarding through the ads and other annoying
> bits is the best idea. There is an hour show that I like to watch, but I
> get through it in 25 min by FFing the filler bits.

Recapitis.

Sometimes they seemed to backtrack further than the beginning of the
previous segment, which made it extra confusing.

I have the impression that the practice has diminished - or maybe it was
just so annoying that I stopped watching that kind of show.

Sylvia.

Re: Who likes retrospective episodes?

<ilj18gpvrc1rg4di0b5m3gtmk91e20tu8g@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26&group=aus.tv#26

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 11:19:19 +1000
 by: Peter Jason - Thu, 22 Apr 2021 01:19 UTC

On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 09:32:31 +1000, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid>
wrote:

>On 18-Apr-21 5:29 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> On 12/04/2021 12:20 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>>> You know the ones I mean. A thinly disguised plot device is used as an
>>> excuse to reuse lots of footage from previous episodes.
>>>
>>> I hate this, and I've rather assumed everyone else does (except the
>>> producers, who get a cheap episode).
>>>
>>> But am I right?
>>>
>>> Sylvia.
>>
>> The most annoying thing is when they give a precis of the previous
>> segment after the ads in case you have the attention span of a flea.
>> Recording a show and fast forwarding through the ads and other annoying
>> bits is the best idea. There is an hour show that I like to watch, but I
>> get through it in 25 min by FFing the filler bits.
>
>Recapitis.
>
>Sometimes they seemed to backtrack further than the beginning of the
>previous segment, which made it extra confusing.
>
>I have the impression that the practice has diminished - or maybe it was
>just so annoying that I stopped watching that kind of show.
>
>Sylvia.

When recording I have to extend the finish time on the PVR because the
channel overruns this. Sometimes 5min!
The viewer's lot is not a happy one.

Re: Who likes retrospective episodes?

<iec5hvFeq7rU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27&group=aus.tv#27

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 12:31:23 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Thu, 22 Apr 2021 02:31 UTC

On 22-Apr-21 11:19 am, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 09:32:31 +1000, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid>
> wrote:

>>> The most annoying thing is when they give a precis of the previous
>>> segment after the ads in case you have the attention span of a flea.
>>> Recording a show and fast forwarding through the ads and other annoying
>>> bits is the best idea. There is an hour show that I like to watch, but I
>>> get through it in 25 min by FFing the filler bits.
>>
>> Recapitis.
>>
>> Sometimes they seemed to backtrack further than the beginning of the
>> previous segment, which made it extra confusing.
>>
>> I have the impression that the practice has diminished - or maybe it was
>> just so annoying that I stopped watching that kind of show.
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> When recording I have to extend the finish time on the PVR because the
> channel overruns this. Sometimes 5min!
> The viewer's lot is not a happy one.

Fortunately, my DIY PVR lets me set a default extension to the finish
time. For commercial channels 30 minutes has usually been enough, though
there have been occasional exceptions.

Sylvia.

Re: Who likes retrospective episodes?

<ieh1l9Fd82aU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28&group=aus.tv#28

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 08:55:35 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Fri, 23 Apr 2021 22:55 UTC

On 12-Apr-21 12:20 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> You know the ones I mean. A thinly disguised plot device is used as an
> excuse to reuse lots of footage from previous episodes.
>
> I hate this, and I've rather assumed everyone else does (except the
> producers, who get a cheap episode).
>
> But am I right?
>
> Sylvia.

By total coincidence, I came across this related practice, which I'd not
heard of before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottle_episode

Sylvia.