Once I finally figured out all of life's answers, they changed the questions.

aus+uk / uk.railway / OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.

SubjectAuthor
* OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.Marland
+* OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.Sam Wilson
|+* OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.Marland
||`- OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.Marland
|`* OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.Matthew Geier
| `- OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.Arthur Figgis
+- OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.Graeme Wall
`* OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
 +* OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.Christopher A. Lee
 |`- OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
 `* OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.Jeremy Double
  `- OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.Recliner

1
OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.

<j8pdj4F7j3rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25005&group=uk.railway#25005

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.
Date: 8 Mar 2022 16:12:20 GMT
 by: Marland - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 16:12 UTC

The author of this You tube series about interesting but often little
known situations that arose from WW2 and its consequences usually comes up
with something interesting, and presented in a calm informative manner
that contrasts with the sometimes over excitable and over egged
performances seen on some of the minor TV channels when dealing with
historical subjects.
One of his most recent while OT for UKR some of us will find interesting.

<https://youtu.be/bH96yjd6BKU>

What was going on at around 3.30 though, seems a good way to get wheel
flats.

GH

Re: OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.

<t085bg$k05$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25010&group=uk.railway#25010

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 17:56:00 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:KOUMfAA96+fmbYz0RGmr7lh1W4Q=
 by: Sam Wilson - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 17:56 UTC

Graham Harrison <edward.harrisom.one@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 8 Mar 2022 16:12:20 GMT, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

>> The author of this You tube series about interesting but often little
>> known situations that arose from WW2 and its consequences usually comes up
>> with something interesting, and presented in a calm informative manner
>> that contrasts with the sometimes over excitable and over egged
>> performances seen on some of the minor TV channels when dealing with
>> historical subjects.
>> One of his most recent while OT for UKR some of us will find interesting.
>>
>> <https://youtu.be/bH96yjd6BKU>
>>
>> What was going on at around 3.30 though, seems a good way to get wheel
>> flats.
>>

>> GH
>
> I wonder where they get their coal from to power the locos? If it's
> their own mine I wonder if it might be a source to replace the Russian
> coal our heritage railways can't get any more?

I thought it odd that they might think of replacing them with diesels.
When you’ve got a source of coal at one end and a machine for turning it
into electricity at the other I’d have thought considering yet another
source of power seemed a little perverse. I guess there might be issues
with loading and unloading and catenary clearance, though there was
certainly at least one power station in the UK, Kearsley, that used
electric locos on site.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.

<t08826$au3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25012&group=uk.railway#25012

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 18:42:14 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 18:42 UTC

On 08/03/2022 16:12, Marland wrote:

> The author of this You tube series about interesting but often little
> known situations that arose from WW2 and its consequences usually comes up
> with something interesting, and presented in a calm informative manner
> that contrasts with the sometimes over excitable and over egged
> performances seen on some of the minor TV channels when dealing with
> historical subjects.
> One of his most recent while OT for UKR some of us will find interesting.
>
> <https://youtu.be/bH96yjd6BKU>
>
> What was going on at around 3.30 though, seems a good way to get wheel
> flats.

Nice little item, there's quit a few, so called, professionals who could
learn a thing or two bout programme making from that.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.

<j8q3tmFbq3tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25027&group=uk.railway#25027

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 8 Mar 2022 22:33:26 GMT
 by: Marland - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 22:33 UTC

Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

> I thought it odd that they might think of replacing them with diesels.
> When you’ve got a source of coal at one end and a machine for turning it
> into electricity at the other I’d have thought considering yet another
> source of power seemed a little perverse. I guess there might be issues
> with loading and unloading and catenary clearance, though there was
> certainly at least one power station in the UK, Kearsley, that used
> electric locos on site.
>
> Sam

There are mineral railway operations abroad which use electric locomotives,
at the loading point the normal catenary stops and a contact wire is
mounted off sufficiently far off to one side to leave the area over wagons
clear.
The locomotives have auxiliary pantographs which rather than rise
vertically project diagonally
to eventually reach the side mounted wire so they can move through the
installation.

They can be seen fairly clearly in this photo of an installation in
Germany.

<https://folkestonejack.wordpress.com/tag/east-germanys-open-cast-mine-crocodiles/#jp-carousel-13633>

And not so clear in this shot which does however show the side contact wire
arrangement in use.

<https://folkestonejack.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/cottbus_4148.jpg>

GH

Re: OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.

<j8q4efFbsubU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25028&group=uk.railway#25028

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 8 Mar 2022 22:42:23 GMT
 by: Marland - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 22:42 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

t considering yet another
>> source of power seemed a little perverse. I guess there might be issues
>> with loading and unloading and catenary clearance,
>>
>> Sam
>>

> There are mineral railway operations abroad which use electric locomotives,
> at the loading point the normal catenary stops and a contact wire is
> mounted off sufficiently far off to one side to leave the area over wagons
> clear.
> The locomotives have auxiliary pantographs which rather than rise
> vertically project diagonally
> to eventually reach the side mounted wire so they can move through the
> installation.
>
> They can be seen fairly clearly in this photo of an installation in
> Germany.
>
> <https://folkestonejack.wordpress.com/tag/east-germanys-open-cast-mine-crocodiles/#jp-carousel-13633>
>

> And not so clear in this shot which does however show the side contact wire
> arrangement in use.
>
> <https://folkestonejack.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/cottbus_4148.jpg>
>
> GH

Should have checked before posting,

You tube has a clip showing the side pantos in use.

<https://youtu.be/3dFLszPJ0sU>

GH

Re: OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.

<t09rai$od5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25030&group=uk.railway#25030

From: matt...@sleeper.apana.org.au (Matthew Geier)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 20:17:03 +1100
 by: Matthew Geier - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 09:17 UTC

On 9/3/22 04:56, Sam Wilson wrote:

> I thought it odd that they might think of replacing them with diesels.
> When you’ve got a source of coal at one end and a machine for turning it
> into electricity at the other I’d have thought considering yet another
> source of power seemed a little perverse. I guess there might be issues
> with loading and unloading and catenary clearance, though there was
> certainly at least one power station in the UK, Kearsley, that used
> electric locos on site.

They service a coal mine. They probably make their own. The mine workers
probably specially extract a batch of coal every now and then of
suitable size lumps for the locomotives.

A few years ago we caught the train from Tusla to Zagreb. (The ticket
for this was a major effort on the part of the station master in Tusla,
as it involved 3 different railways).
The driver of the railcar from Tusla to Doboj (which was an elderly FIAT
with a manual transmission) noticed me wandering around the yard taking
photos prior to departure and invited me to ride up front. We could not
speak a word of each others language, but we shared a common interest.
Near what I presume was Rudnik Šikulje, he slowed down a lot pointed at
my camera and out the window. Then this large black steaming monster
comes into view, shunting coal wagons.

If you have to import fuel oil, using a coal burning steam locomotive to
service a coal mine sort of makes sense.
I didn't realise they kept so many of them, but given how poor Bosnia
is, it makes sense. They have fuel to run it and the expertise to
maintain it. Replacing them with diesels means imported parts and
imported fuel. Electrifying (the coal goes to one of the counties
largest thermal power stations) requires foreign capital to buy electric
locomotives and overhead equipment, money they don't have.

When I was in Bosnia they had a fleet of Talgo trains parked up at
Sarajevo they couldn't use that they had paid good money for - because
the people who stitched up the deal with Talgo didn't check the loading
gauge. When we visited the line to Mostar was closed completely for
'gauge enhancement' so that the Talgos could finally be used.

I gather the mine doesn't produce enough coal to run the power station -
they import coal too. Selling locomotive coal when they are importing
thermal power station coal probably hasn't occurred to them. And I
wouldn't mind betting they don't wash the fines off, but throw it in the
loco 'as is' and just deal with the ash problem by dumping it back in
the hole left by extracting the coal.

Re: OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.

<t0a88h$9jn$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25034&group=uk.railway#25034

From: hounsl...@yahoo.co.uk (hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 12:57:53 +0000
 by: hounslow3@yahoo.co.u - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 12:57 UTC

On 08/03/2022 16:12, Marland wrote:

> The author of this You tube series about interesting but often little
> known situations that arose from WW2 and its consequences usually comes up
> with something interesting, and presented in a calm informative manner
> that contrasts with the sometimes over excitable and over egged
> performances seen on some of the minor TV channels when dealing with
> historical subjects.
> One of his most recent while OT for UKR some of us will find interesting.
>
> <https://youtu.be/bH96yjd6BKU>
>
> What was going on at around 3.30 though, seems a good way to get wheel
> flats.
>

> GH

Well, PKP was running steam in regular revenue service until the 1990s,
whereas DR ran steam into at least the 80s.

Re: OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.

<47hh2h90uitcvlm5jtoiua0llv90i8v0lh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25036&group=uk.railway#25036

From: c.l...@fairpoint.net (Christopher A. Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 09:37:51 -0600
 by: Christopher A. Lee - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 15:37 UTC

On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 12:57:53 +0000, "hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk"
<hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>On 08/03/2022 16:12, Marland wrote:
>>
>> The author of this You tube series about interesting but often little
>> known situations that arose from WW2 and its consequences usually comes up
>> with something interesting, and presented in a calm informative manner
>> that contrasts with the sometimes over excitable and over egged
>> performances seen on some of the minor TV channels when dealing with
>> historical subjects.
>> One of his most recent while OT for UKR some of us will find interesting.
>>
>> <https://youtu.be/bH96yjd6BKU>
>>
>> What was going on at around 3.30 though, seems a good way to get wheel
>> flats.
>>

>> GH
>
>Well, PKP was running steam in regular revenue service until the 1990s,
>whereas DR ran steam into at least the 80s.

GWR small prairie tank 5521 visited Hungary and Poland in 2007, 2008
and 2009 - and operated scheduled suburban services from Wroclaw in
2008.

Temporarily fitted with a Westinghouse pump.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFil5RUa5f0

Re: OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.

<t0and6$jm0$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25041&group=uk.railway#25041

From: hounsl...@yahoo.co.uk (hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 17:16:22 +0000
 by: hounslow3@yahoo.co.u - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 17:16 UTC

On 09/03/2022 15:37, Christopher A. Lee wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 12:57:53 +0000, "hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk"
> <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 08/03/2022 16:12, Marland wrote:
>>>
>>> The author of this You tube series about interesting but often little
>>> known situations that arose from WW2 and its consequences usually comes up
>>> with something interesting, and presented in a calm informative manner
>>> that contrasts with the sometimes over excitable and over egged
>>> performances seen on some of the minor TV channels when dealing with
>>> historical subjects.
>>> One of his most recent while OT for UKR some of us will find interesting.
>>>
>>> <https://youtu.be/bH96yjd6BKU>
>>>
>>> What was going on at around 3.30 though, seems a good way to get wheel
>>> flats.
>>>

>>> GH
>>
>> Well, PKP was running steam in regular revenue service until the 1990s,
>> whereas DR ran steam into at least the 80s.
>
> GWR small prairie tank 5521 visited Hungary and Poland in 2007, 2008
> and 2009 - and operated scheduled suburban services from Wroclaw in
> 2008.

.... pulling what appeared to be old, East German railcars.

Re: OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.

<9audnf_99OMKkbT_nZ2dnUU7-Q-dnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25046&group=uk.railway#25046

Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 20:22:47 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: afig...@example.invalid (Arthur Figgis)
 by: Arthur Figgis - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 20:22 UTC

On 09/03/2022 09:17, Matthew Geier wrote:

> When I was in Bosnia they had a fleet of Talgo trains parked up at
> Sarajevo they couldn't use that they had paid good money

Wisconsin says "holds my pivo"...

--
Arthur Figgis

Re: OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.

<2037416625.668555974.272109.jmd.nospam-btinternet.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25052&group=uk.railway#25052

From: jmd.nos...@btinternet.com (Jeremy Double)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 9 Mar 2022 22:03:35 GMT
 by: Jeremy Double - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 22:03 UTC

hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 08/03/2022 16:12, Marland wrote:
>>
>> The author of this You tube series about interesting but often little
>> known situations that arose from WW2 and its consequences usually comes up
>> with something interesting, and presented in a calm informative manner
>> that contrasts with the sometimes over excitable and over egged
>> performances seen on some of the minor TV channels when dealing with
>> historical subjects.
>> One of his most recent while OT for UKR some of us will find interesting.
>>
>> <https://youtu.be/bH96yjd6BKU>
>>
>> What was going on at around 3.30 though, seems a good way to get wheel
>> flats.
>>

>> GH
>
> Well, PKP was running steam in regular revenue service until the 1990s,
> whereas DR ran steam into at least the 80s.

There are still steam powered narrow gauge lines in eastern Germany that
are legally Öffentlicher Personennahverkehr i.e. local public transport.

--
Jeremy Double

Re: OT. Bosnian Kriegsloks still in service.

<t0b93l$31e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25055&group=uk.railway#25055

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 22:18:29 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:60aQBV1JbhDHrZd2HJk2yjP/0mU=
 by: Recliner - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 22:18 UTC

Jeremy Double <jmd.nospam@btinternet.com> wrote:
> hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 08/03/2022 16:12, Marland wrote:
>>>
>>> The author of this You tube series about interesting but often little
>>> known situations that arose from WW2 and its consequences usually comes up
>>> with something interesting, and presented in a calm informative manner
>>> that contrasts with the sometimes over excitable and over egged
>>> performances seen on some of the minor TV channels when dealing with
>>> historical subjects.
>>> One of his most recent while OT for UKR some of us will find interesting.
>>>
>>> <https://youtu.be/bH96yjd6BKU>
>>>
>>> What was going on at around 3.30 though, seems a good way to get wheel
>>> flats.
>>>

>>> GH
>>
>> Well, PKP was running steam in regular revenue service until the 1990s,
>> whereas DR ran steam into at least the 80s.
>
> There are still steam powered narrow gauge lines in eastern Germany that
> are legally Öffentlicher Personennahverkehr i.e. local public transport.

Indeed, I've enjoyed Plandampf on a number of those lines, several of which
have on-street running, too.

The largest and most famous of them, of course, is the HSB. I've travelled
the whole 140km network steam-hauled, though most of the trains on the
routes other than Wernigerode-Brocken these days are diesel railcars.