In charity there is no excess. -- Francis Bacon

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Forces TV.

SubjectAuthor
* Forces TV.Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+* Re: Forces TV.NY
|+* Re: Forces TV.NY
||+* Re: Forces TV.MB
|||+* Re: Forces TV.NY
|||`- Re: Forces TV.Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
||`* Re: Forces TV.Mark Carver
|| `* Re: Forces TV.Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
||  `- Re: Forces TV.tim...
|+* Re: Forces TV.Jeff Layman
||`- Re: Forces TV.Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|+- Re: Forces TV.Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|`- Re: Forces TV.Brian Gregory
`- Re: Forces TV.Jeff Layman

1
Forces TV.

<sdlpkv$mgv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25037&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25037

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Forces TV.
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 08:53:01 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 07:53 UTC

Is there something odd about Forces TV on freeview 96? I keep on mentioning
this to people and though some can see it, many seem to not get anything
between95 and 100.

What other channels should they try to see if they have lost a transmitter
or something?
The ones with the problem so far all have Panasonic and Sharp TVs
coincidentally but do get HD. channels.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Re: Forces TV.

<sdlqmv$t9b$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25038&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25038

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Forces TV.
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 09:11:08 +0100
 by: NY - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 08:11 UTC

"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Is there something odd about Forces TV on freeview 96? I keep on
> mentioning this to people and though some can see it, many seem to not get
> anything between95 and 100.
>

> What other channels should they try to see if they have lost a transmitter
> or something?
> The ones with the problem so far all have Panasonic and Sharp TVs
> coincidentally but do get HD. channels.

ForcesTV is on COM7. The full list of channels on COM7 is

[LCN unknown] Together TV +1
[LCN unknown] Merit
64 FreeSports
70 Quest Red +1
76 Now 70s
86 More4 +1
87 PBS America +1
89 Court TV
96 Forces TV
106 BBC Four HD
107 BBC News HD
113 RT HD
114 Quest HD
205 CBeebies HD
111 QVC HD
112 QVC Beauty HD

Only the main transmitters broadcast COM7, and it's on a UHF frequency that
may be outside the range of some grouped aerials. My aerial cannot receive
it from Belmont although other muxes are fine. I imagine my aerial is
grouped for the lower frequencies that Belmont did/does use, and UHF 55 is
outside the high-gain range of the aerial.

Apologies for my list of channels not having the LCNs for TogetherTV+1 and
Merit: ukfree.tv for any transmitter does not list the LCNs for those
channels for some weird reason.

ForcesTV is also available on Freesat on 11836H.

Re: Forces TV.

<sdlups$pgc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25043&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25043

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 10:20:49 +0100
 by: NY - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 09:20 UTC

"Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 26/07/2021 09:11, NY wrote:
>>
>> Only the main transmitters broadcast COM7,
>
> No, only 25 sites broadcast COM 7 (there are 50 main sites, and a further
> 30 that were redefined as 'mains' at DSO)

Ah, I wasn't sure how many of the main transmitters (ie broadcasting more
then Freeview Lite PSB1,2,3) broadcast COM7 (and COM8 when it existed). I'm
lucky that all three places where I've lived since digital broadcasting
began have been served by a COM7 transmitter: Oxford, Bilsdale and Belmont,
with Emley Moor also being a possibility if we'd moved further west that
where we decided to move to. Round here, I know that Oliver's Mount in
Scarborough is only 6 muxes (no COM7) so that's one of the "intermediate
level" ones.

I wonder how long COM7 will continue, and what plans Freeview are making for
some/all of the channels which it currently carries. Converting one of the
existing muxes to DVB-T2? That would alienate people who have DVB-T1-only
equipment...

Re: Forces TV.

<sdlva9$tbt$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25045&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25045

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 10:30:25 +0100
 by: MB - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 09:30 UTC

On 26/07/2021 10:20, NY wrote:
> Converting one of the
> existing muxes to DVB-T2? That would alienate people who have DVB-T1-only
> equipment...

What sort of numbers are there with only DVB-T1?

It is reminiscent of the argument at the end of 405 TV, that it would be
easiest to just give anyone with a 405 set a new set, to speed up the
changeover.

Some I suspect that similarly if there was a free exchange system, lots
of dusty old DVB-T1 sets and boxes would appear from people's attics. :-)

Re: Forces TV.

<im7e8iF9klfU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25046&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25046

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 10:40:33 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 09:40 UTC

On 26/07/2021 10:20, NY wrote:
> "Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> On 26/07/2021 09:11, NY wrote:
>>>
>>> Only the main transmitters broadcast COM7,
>>
>> No, only 25 sites broadcast COM 7 (there are 50 main sites, and a
>> further 30 that were redefined as 'mains' at DSO)
>
> Ah, I wasn't sure how many of the main transmitters (ie broadcasting
> more then Freeview Lite PSB1,2,3) broadcast COM7 (and COM8 when it
> existed). I'm lucky that all three places where I've lived since
> digital broadcasting began have been served by a COM7 transmitter:
> Oxford, Bilsdale and Belmont, with Emley Moor also being a possibility
> if we'd moved further west that where we decided to move to. Round
> here, I know that Oliver's Mount in Scarborough is only 6 muxes (no
> COM7) so that's one of the "intermediate level" ones.

80 sites (the 50 main and 30 largest relays from the analogue era)
transmit six muxes (3 PSB, COM4/5/6)  The only exception is Fremont
Point on Jersey that only carries the PSBs

The remaining 1080 relays only carry the 3 PSBs (aka Freeview Lite)

> I wonder how long COM7 will continue,

It's licence expires next June. The frequency it uses has been 'sold' to
EE for 5G use, there is a clause that allows Arqiva to shut it at very
short notice (just as they did last June with COM 8)

Re: Forces TV.

<sdm2mo$mfd$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25052&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25052

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 11:27:35 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 10:27 UTC

On 26/07/2021 09:11, NY wrote:

> ForcesTV is on COM7. The full list of channels on COM7 is

> 89 Court TV

Court TV was removed from COM7 on 22 June.

--

Jeff

Re: Forces TV.

<sdm2of$msc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25053&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25053

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 11:28:31 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 10:28 UTC

On 26/07/2021 08:53, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> Is there something odd about Forces TV on freeview 96? I keep on mentioning
> this to people and though some can see it, many seem to not get anything
> between95 and 100.
>

> What other channels should they try to see if they have lost a transmitter
> or something?
> The ones with the problem so far all have Panasonic and Sharp TVs
> coincidentally but do get HD. channels.
> Brian

No problem with my 2-years old Panasonic TV and 7-years old Panasonic DVR.

--

Jeff

Re: Forces TV.

<sdm5m2$dos$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25056&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25056

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 12:17:57 +0100
 by: NY - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 11:17 UTC

"MB" <MB@nospam.net> wrote in message news:sdlva9$tbt$1@dont-email.me...
> On 26/07/2021 10:20, NY wrote:
>> Converting one of the
>> existing muxes to DVB-T2? That would alienate people who have DVB-T1-only
>> equipment...
>
> What sort of numbers are there with only DVB-T1?

We still have a TV bought in about 2012 which is DVB-T1 only. We also have a
PVR which is DVB-T1 only. We don't use either, although we keep the TV as a
second TV and/or computer monitor. We may use it for casting from an iPad
(via a Firestick or similar) to display a larger picture for when we are
walking or running on our new keep-fit treadmill.

My PVR setup has three tuners: DVB-S2, DVB-T2 and the original DVB-T1 tuner.
I keep the T1 tuner for the rare times when I need to record three
overlapping programmes which are on different multiplexes.

My parents have a T2 TV but a T1 PVR/DVD recorder (or is it the other way
round?). I had to explain to them why they couldn't watch or record HD
channels.

It would be interesting to know how many people still have DVB-T1 equipment,
as TV, PVR or set-top box to analogue TV via SCART.

Re: Forces TV.

<sdmkq8$p80$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25079&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25079

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 16:36:37 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 15:36 UTC

Yes but here we are within line of sight for Crystal Palace. I have an
aerial in the loft which is a broadband type of questionable manufacture,
but the only issues I've had was I had to replace the cable when it got
water in it.

I think I see all the others in your list, so maybe it is just a power issue
and maybe the sets from those makers are not quite as good sensitivity wise
as my Samsung is, or the aerial is in an unfortunate place or something.
I did not realise the channels would be at such a long way away from the
rest though.

"NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote in message
> "Brian Gaff (Sofa)" <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Is there something odd about Forces TV on freeview 96? I keep on
>> mentioning this to people and though some can see it, many seem to not
>> get anything between95 and 100.
>>

>> What other channels should they try to see if they have lost a
>> transmitter or something?
>> The ones with the problem so far all have Panasonic and Sharp TVs
>> coincidentally but do get HD. channels.
>
> ForcesTV is on COM7. The full list of channels on COM7 is
>
> [LCN unknown] Together TV +1
> [LCN unknown] Merit
> 64 FreeSports
> 70 Quest Red +1
> 76 Now 70s
> 86 More4 +1
> 87 PBS America +1
> 89 Court TV
> 96 Forces TV
> 106 BBC Four HD
> 107 BBC News HD
> 113 RT HD
> 114 Quest HD
> 205 CBeebies HD
> 111 QVC HD
> 112 QVC Beauty HD
>

> Only the main transmitters broadcast COM7, and it's on a UHF frequency
> that may be outside the range of some grouped aerials. My aerial cannot
> receive it from Belmont although other muxes are fine. I imagine my aerial
> is grouped for the lower frequencies that Belmont did/does use, and UHF 55
> is outside the high-gain range of the aerial.
>
> Apologies for my list of channels not having the LCNs for TogetherTV+1 and
> Merit: ukfree.tv for any transmitter does not list the LCNs for those
> channels for some weird reason.
>
> ForcesTV is also available on Freesat on 11836H.

Re: Forces TV.

<sdml4k$rlt$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25080&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25080

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 16:42:09 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 15:42 UTC

Yes but unfortunately all the Goodman's smart talk boxes have no equivalent
now, if you want a talking box you are seemingly out of luck, you have to
buy a smart TV instead. I am not sure under what marketing situation they
think that blind people only want smart TVs, a bog standard box with talking
menus and stable audio description unlike the Goodman's is all we need!

The industry is ablist.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"MB" <MB@nospam.net> wrote in message news:sdlva9$tbt$1@dont-email.me...
> On 26/07/2021 10:20, NY wrote:
>> Converting one of the
>> existing muxes to DVB-T2? That would alienate people who have DVB-T1-only
>> equipment...
>
> What sort of numbers are there with only DVB-T1?
>
> It is reminiscent of the argument at the end of 405 TV, that it would be
> easiest to just give anyone with a 405 set a new set, to speed up the
> changeover.
>
> Some I suspect that similarly if there was a free exchange system, lots of
> dusty old DVB-T1 sets and boxes would appear from people's attics. :-)

Re: Forces TV.

<sdmllr$v9m$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25081&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25081

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 16:51:21 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 15:51 UTC

So do the channels vanish, only appear on line or find a new home?
There do seem to be a lot of channels on freeview that are on most of the
day which duplicate much the sme content all the time though. Surely some
kind of decision needs to be made or we might just allow any old channel
which just runs all the same stuff as the others. Take NCIS old episodes or
Helicopter ER which at least three channels show all the time.

My gut feeling is that freeview will be dead in the water in 10 years or
less, There may well be freesat, but it is looking increasingly like
everyone and his dog is introducing a subscription channel either online or
via satellite using some kind of log in or card system. This is I expect why
Ofcom are pushing the on line and catch up services to make their apps
accessible and include AD as soon as they can as they see big problem
otherwise with the aging population unable to watch things.

> On 26/07/2021 10:20, NY wrote:
>> "Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

>>> No, only 25 sites broadcast COM 7 (there are 50 main sites, and a
>>> further 30 that were redefined as 'mains' at DSO)
>>
>> Ah, I wasn't sure how many of the main transmitters (ie broadcasting more
>> then Freeview Lite PSB1,2,3) broadcast COM7 (and COM8 when it existed).
>> I'm lucky that all three places where I've lived since digital
>> broadcasting began have been served by a COM7 transmitter: Oxford,
>> Bilsdale and Belmont, with Emley Moor also being a possibility if we'd
>> moved further west that where we decided to move to. Round here, I know
>> that Oliver's Mount in Scarborough is only 6 muxes (no COM7) so that's
>> one of the "intermediate level" ones.
>
> 80 sites (the 50 main and 30 largest relays from the analogue era)
> transmit six muxes (3 PSB, COM4/5/6) The only exception is Fremont Point
> on Jersey that only carries the PSBs
>
> The remaining 1080 relays only carry the 3 PSBs (aka Freeview Lite)
>>
>> I wonder how long COM7 will continue,
>
> It's licence expires next June. The frequency it uses has been 'sold' to
> EE for 5G use, there is a clause that allows Arqiva to shut it at very
> short notice (just as they did last June with COM 8)

Re: Forces TV.

<sdmmj5$5sl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25085&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25085

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 17:06:58 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 16:06 UTC

Yes its not there that I can see. Is that where that awful music channel is
now? Brian

"Jeff Layman" <jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 26/07/2021 09:11, NY wrote:
>
>> ForcesTV is on COM7. The full list of channels on COM7 is
>
>> 89 Court TV
>
> Court TV was removed from COM7 on 22 June.
>
> --
>
> Jeff

Re: Forces TV.

<sdok9h$10q$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25101&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25101

From: timsnew...@gmail.com (tim...)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 10:40:00 +0100
 by: tim... - Tue, 27 Jul 2021 09:40 UTC

> So do the channels vanish, only appear on line or find a new home?

The unique channels will be found a new home, just like the ones on COM8
were

whether there is space to move the +1 and HD channels to somewhere else is a
different matter.

> There do seem to be a lot of channels on freeview that are on most of the
> day which duplicate much the sme content all the time though. Surely some
> kind of decision needs to be made or we might just allow any old channel
> which just runs all the same stuff as the others. Take NCIS old episodes
> or Helicopter ER which at least three channels show all the time.

I don't think that it's the regulators place to dictate what a channel doe
with its bandwidth, provided that the content it shows is suitable for
public broadcast. If a channel wants to show wall to wall dross, that its
own commercial decision to make.

> My gut feeling is that freeview will be dead in the water in 10 years or
> less,

No

there's at least 20 years life left

IPTV simply isn't up to scratch yet, and even when it is providers seem to
want to charge extra for their service

who's going to vote to throw away free TV in these circumstances?

>There may well be freesat,

which a sizable number cannot use because the don't have permission for
install a dish (even if they were minded to do so)

> but it is looking increasingly like everyone and his dog is introducing a
> subscription channel either online or via satellite using some kind of log
> in or card system.

there's a large number who simply will not pay for TV (above the licence
fee)

why take TV away from them?

Re: Forces TV.

<imaq41Fio29U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25122&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25122

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 17:21:21 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Tue, 27 Jul 2021 16:21 UTC

On 26/07/2021 09:11, NY wrote:
> Apologies for my list of channels not having the LCNs for TogetherTV+1
> and Merit: ukfree.tv for any transmitter does not list the LCNs for
> those channels for some weird reason.

It's because they are no longer transmitting.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Forces TV.

<QuKdnfAJzMerzpH8nZ2dnUU78enNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25386&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25386

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 22:08:07 +0100
From: laure...@nospam.plus.com (Laurence Taylor)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
 by: Laurence Taylor - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 21:08 UTC

On 26/07/2021 12:17, NY wrote:

> It would be interesting to know how many people still have DVB-T1 equipment,
> as TV, PVR or set-top box to analogue TV via SCART.

Both the dining room and kitchen TVs are T1-only, and is the main DVR
(Topfield), kept because it allows me to extract recordings to the PC
for archiving.

The main TV in the lounge is DVB-T2 as is its associated DVR
(Youview-branded Humax), the latter (along with the Toppy) being fed to
the other rooms via analogue UHF.

If we can get a recorder that will allow us to easily extract the
recordings, the Toppy will be relegated to spare.

--
rgds
LAurence

I've already told you more than I know.
~~~ Random (signature) 1.6.1

Re: Forces TV.

<in3a0rFkpllU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25388&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25388

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 00:19:55 +0100
 by: williamwright - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 23:19 UTC

On 05/08/2021 22:08, Laurence Taylor wrote:
> It would be interesting to know how many people still have DVB-T1 equipment,
> as TV, PVR or set-top box to analogue TV via SCART.

I have a non-T2 telly fed from a quite new Humax DTT T2 box (which is
shite). I also have a non-T2 telly fed from a non-T2 terr box in the
workshop, alongside a DVB T2 telly.

Bill

Re: Forces TV.

<seio9o$1q6q$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25391&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25391

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 08:27:52 +0100
 by: SH - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 07:27 UTC

> If we can get a recorder that will allow us to easily extract the
> recordings, the Toppy will be relegated to spare.

Have you thought about a SiliconDust HD HomeRun Quad tuner?

https://www.silicondust.com/ this then connects to your TV aerial an
dthen to your home network.

You then connect a Synology NAS to the same network and then you can
either download and install the HDHomeRun DVR service to it.

Alternatively you can use TVHeadEnd or Plex to record from the HDHomeRun
to the NAS.

Then later you can use a PC or similar to pull the recordings off the
NAS onto DVD.

I have several Roku sticks here that have Plex, Twonky and the HD Home
run app on it on it so I can watch one of the 4 tuners live or play back
a recording from the NAS