Always leave room to add an explanation if it doesn't work out.

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Expensive starts to a career

SubjectAuthor
* Expensive starts to a careerMike Holmans
+* Re: Expensive starts to a careerDavid North
|`- Re: Expensive starts to a careerRobert Henderson
`* Re: Expensive starts to a careerJohn Hall
 `* Re: Expensive starts to a careerMike Holmans
  `* Re: Expensive starts to a careermike
   `- Re: Expensive starts to a careerDavid North

1
Expensive starts to a career

<aoqrrhdvt5r0ik61mdbmrv59g3gb8i5n02@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25060&group=uk.sport.cricket#25060

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Expensive starts to a career
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 22:51:50 +0000
 by: Mike Holmans - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 22:51 UTC

Having already conceded 942 runs in 4 Tests, Abrar Ahmed must be
odds-on to reach 1000 runs conceded in his fifth Test. He would be the
first to "achieve" this. Six other spinners have conceded 1000 in 6
Tests - Mailey, Valentine, Ashwin, Kaushal (SL), Craig (NZ), and
Rehman (Pak).

The only fast bowler who conceded 1000 runs in his first six Tests was
English, and I was flabbergasted to find out who it was.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Expensive starts to a career

<k274hqFlo62U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25061&group=uk.sport.cricket#25061

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Expensive starts to a career
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 06:50:33 +0000
 by: David North - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 06:50 UTC

On 10/01/2023 22:51, Mike Holmans wrote:
> Having already conceded 942 runs in 4 Tests, Abrar Ahmed must be
> odds-on to reach 1000 runs conceded in his fifth Test. He would be the
> first to "achieve" this. Six other spinners have conceded 1000 in 6
> Tests - Mailey, Valentine, Ashwin, Kaushal (SL), Craig (NZ), and
> Rehman (Pak).
>
> The only fast bowler who conceded 1000 runs in his first six Tests was
> English, and I was flabbergasted to find out who it was.

Well 5 of those Tests were timeless, and he bowled a lot of overs - over
60 in each of his first 3 (albeit they were 5-ball overs in the first
one), and over 80 in his 6th.

--
David North

Re: Expensive starts to a career

<1e6d0582-2ba8-4955-840b-52fe191752d7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25064&group=uk.sport.cricket#25064

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 00:37:53 -0800 (PST)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 08:37 UTC

On Wednesday, January 11, 2023 at 6:50:36 AM UTC, nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk wrote:
> On 10/01/2023 22:51, Mike Holmans wrote:
> > Having already conceded 942 runs in 4 Tests, Abrar Ahmed must be
> > odds-on to reach 1000 runs conceded in his fifth Test. He would be the
> > first to "achieve" this. Six other spinners have conceded 1000 in 6
> > Tests - Mailey, Valentine, Ashwin, Kaushal (SL), Craig (NZ), and
> > Rehman (Pak).
> >
> > The only fast bowler who conceded 1000 runs in his first six Tests was
> > English, and I was flabbergasted to find out who it was.
> Well 5 of those Tests were timeless, and he bowled a lot of overs - over
> 60 in each of his first 3 (albeit they were 5-ball overs in the first
> one), and over 80 in his 6th.
>
> --
> David North

Tom Richardson? RH

Re: Expensive starts to a career

<OW3Su1ACeovjFwPk@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25067&group=uk.sport.cricket#25067

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 09:55:14 +0000
 by: John Hall - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 09:55 UTC

In message <aoqrrhdvt5r0ik61mdbmrv59g3gb8i5n02@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
<spam@jackalope.uk> writes
>Having already conceded 942 runs in 4 Tests, Abrar Ahmed must be
>odds-on to reach 1000 runs conceded in his fifth Test. He would be the
>first to "achieve" this. Six other spinners have conceded 1000 in 6
>Tests - Mailey, Valentine, Ashwin, Kaushal (SL), Craig (NZ), and
>Rehman (Pak).

With at least three notable members out of six, it's a surprisingly
distinguished club.

>The only fast bowler who conceded 1000 runs in his first six Tests was
>English, and I was flabbergasted to find out who it was.

It's obviously essential to bowl a lot of overs, so I'd guess that it
was a fast-medium bowler than one truly fast. Unless it was Tom
Richardson who, in spite of being one of the fastest of bowlers, got
through a huge amount of work?
--
John Hall "Do you have cornflakes in America?"
"Well, actually, they're American."

Re: Expensive starts to a career

<d73trhh703vhm2g1f18paea5bp9kho5vlq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25068&group=uk.sport.cricket#25068

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 10:21:35 +0000
 by: Mike Holmans - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 10:21 UTC

On Wed, 11 Jan 2023 09:55:14 +0000, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <aoqrrhdvt5r0ik61mdbmrv59g3gb8i5n02@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
><spam@jackalope.uk> writes
>>Having already conceded 942 runs in 4 Tests, Abrar Ahmed must be
>>odds-on to reach 1000 runs conceded in his fifth Test. He would be the
>>first to "achieve" this. Six other spinners have conceded 1000 in 6
>>Tests - Mailey, Valentine, Ashwin, Kaushal (SL), Craig (NZ), and
>>Rehman (Pak).
>
>With at least three notable members out of six, it's a surprisingly
>distinguished club.
>

>>The only fast bowler who conceded 1000 runs in his first six Tests was
>>English, and I was flabbergasted to find out who it was.
>
>It's obviously essential to bowl a lot of overs, so I'd guess that it
>was a fast-medium bowler than one truly fast. Unless it was Tom
>Richardson who, in spite of being one of the fastest of bowlers, got
>through a huge amount of work?

Yes, it was Richardson.

And yes, 5 of the Tests were timeless, but even so.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Expensive starts to a career

<86232968-f01e-4be5-916c-4aa21f2d3c1an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25078&group=uk.sport.cricket#25078

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 14:01:26 -0800 (PST)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 22:01 UTC

On Wednesday, January 11, 2023 at 10:21:39 AM UTC, Mike Holmans wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2023 09:55:14 +0000, John Hall
> <john_...@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >In message <aoqrrhdvt5r0ik61m...@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
> ><sp...@jackalope.uk> writes
> >>Having already conceded 942 runs in 4 Tests, Abrar Ahmed must be
> >>odds-on to reach 1000 runs conceded in his fifth Test. He would be the
> >>first to "achieve" this. Six other spinners have conceded 1000 in 6
> >>Tests - Mailey, Valentine, Ashwin, Kaushal (SL), Craig (NZ), and
> >>Rehman (Pak).
> >
> >With at least three notable members out of six, it's a surprisingly
> >distinguished club.

I bet most of these took more wkts than abrar. since his debut when he took 11,
hes taken 17 in 5 matches at about 40, so he has been a bit expensive.

> >>The only fast bowler who conceded 1000 runs in his first six Tests was
> >>English, and I was flabbergasted to find out who it was.
> >
> >It's obviously essential to bowl a lot of overs, so I'd guess that it
> >was a fast-medium bowler than one truly fast. Unless it was Tom
> >Richardson who, in spite of being one of the fastest of bowlers, got
> >through a huge amount of work?
> Yes, it was Richardson.

i only remember his name came up during the sydney test, when
saltyman quizzed the tms cast about which england quick
bowlers had taken 10 wkts at sydney. Everybody eventually got 3,
but strangely they had forgotten caddick did it in 2003, who was
the only 1 i remembered, cos it was on another ashes tour where
england had been trounced 4-0, but unlike the last 3, they
suddenly roused themselves and sent oz to a crushing defeat.
i recall they said that when richardson did it, he was bowled into
the ground and was never that quick again.

mike

Re: Expensive starts to a career

<k29iknF2cohU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25079&group=uk.sport.cricket#25079

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 05:03:18 +0000
 by: David North - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 05:03 UTC

On 11/01/2023 22:01, mike wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 11, 2023 at 10:21:39 AM UTC, Mike Holmans wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Jan 2023 09:55:14 +0000, John Hall
>> <john_...@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <aoqrrhdvt5r0ik61m...@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
>>> <sp...@jackalope.uk> writes
>>>
>>> With at least three notable members out of six, it's a surprisingly
>>> distinguished club.
>>>

> I bet most of these took more wkts than abrar. since his debut when he took 11,
> hes taken 17 in 5 matches at about 40, so he has been a bit expensive.

3 matches
Overall 28 @ 33.64

Mailey 42 @ 25.54
Valentine 43 @ 24.32
Ashwin 31 @ 34.48
Kaushal 24 @ 42.12
Craig 25 @ 41.24
Rehman 31 @ 34.80

Pakistan's next Test series is in SL in July, so if he plays, I would
expect him to at least equal Ashwin and Rehman's wickets in his next Test.

>>> It's obviously essential to bowl a lot of overs, so I'd guess that it
>>> was a fast-medium bowler than one truly fast. Unless it was Tom
>>> Richardson who, in spite of being one of the fastest of bowlers, got
>>> through a huge amount of work?
>> Yes, it was Richardson.
>>

> i only remember his name came up during the sydney test, when
> saltyman quizzed the tms cast about which england quick
> bowlers had taken 10 wkts at sydney. Everybody eventually got 3,
> but strangely they had forgotten caddick did it in 2003, who was
> the only 1 i remembered, cos it was on another ashes tour where
> england had been trounced 4-0, but unlike the last 3, they
> suddenly roused themselves and sent oz to a crushing defeat.
> i recall they said that when richardson did it, he was bowled into
> the ground and was never that quick again.

Both Richardson and Caddick did it in their last Test.

--
David North

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Expensive starts to a career