A prediction is worth twenty explanations. -- K. Brecher

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: I *hate* ...

SubjectAuthor
* I *hate* ...RustyHinge
+* I *hate* ...chrisnd@privacy.net
|`* I *hate* ...Kerr-Mudd, John
| +- I *hate* ...Brian Gaff
| `- I *hate* ...Sam Plusnet
+* I *hate* ...Ahem A Rivet's Shot
|+* I *hate* ...Tone
||+* I *hate* ...Ahem A Rivet's Shot
|||+* I *hate* ...Chris Elvidge
|||`- I *hate* ...Brian Gaff
||+* I *hate* ...John Williamson
|||`- I *hate* ...Ahem A Rivet's Shot
||`- I *hate* ...Brian Gaff
|+- I *hate* ...nev young
|`- I *hate* ...Richard Robinson
+- I *hate* ...Tone
+- I *hate* ...hubops
+- I *hate* ...Brian Gaff
+- I *hate* ...Nicholas D. Richards
+- I *hate* ...Sam Plusnet
+* I *hate* ...Mike Spencer
|+* I *hate* ...RustyHinge
||+- I *hate* ...Sn!pe
||`* I *hate* ...Nicholas D. Richards
|| +* I *hate* ...Chris Elvidge
|| |`- I *hate* ...Sam Plusnet
|| `* I *hate* ...Tone
||  +- I *hate* ...RustyHinge
||  `- I *hate* ...Nicholas D. Richards
|`- I *hate* ...Sam Plusnet
`- I *hate* ...nev young

Pages:12
Re: I *hate* ...

<udsc02$24q8r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25053&group=uk.rec.sheds#25053

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: I *hate* ...
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 14:04:02 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 13:04 UTC

On 13/09/2023 06:52, Mike Spencer wrote:
> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> writes:
>
>> formulaic speech. Repetitive phrases like 'in some way, shape or form';
>> 'at this point in time' and so-on.
>>
>> Wot does the team think?
>
> I'm particularly annoyed by such formulaic phrases when they are misused.
>
> I had a chemistry professor who who repeatedly said this or that was
> the case "for all intensive purposes". In print, it's people who "tow
> the line". And more than once seen, "The incumbent will..." clearly
> intended to be the opposite of the outgoent whom [s]he was to replace.

From yesterday'sEastern Daily Press: "Orginally called the Priscilla
when it was built in 1892 but renamed the Optima, the ship's maiden
voyage proved to be record-braking.

And more on-topic: aDnm!Lostit. but found another one in the same
article "it makes foe a very unique experience."

It's either unique or it isn't - there's no degree of 'unique'.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: I *hate* ...

<1qh0245.4i1m9srjjca0N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25054&group=uk.rec.sheds#25054

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 14:12:32 +0100
 by: Sn!pe - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 13:12 UTC

RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> On 13/09/2023 06:52, Mike Spencer wrote:
> > RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> writes:
> >
> >> formulaic speech. Repetitive phrases like 'in some way, shape or form';
> >> 'at this point in time' and so-on.
> >>
> >> Wot does the team think?
> >
> > I'm particularly annoyed by such formulaic phrases when they are misused.
> >
> > I had a chemistry professor who who repeatedly said this or that was
> > the case "for all intensive purposes". In print, it's people who "tow
> > the line". And more than once seen, "The incumbent will..." clearly
> > intended to be the opposite of the outgoent whom [s]he was to replace.
> >
> From yesterday'sEastern Daily Press: "Orginally called the Priscilla
> when it was built in 1892 but renamed the Optima, the ship's maiden
> voyage proved to be record-braking.
>
> And more on-topic: aDnm!Lostit. but found another one in the same
> article "it makes foe a very unique experience."
>
> It's either unique or it isn't - there's no degree of 'unique'.

You've honed in on it there.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: I *hate* ...

<ZVtZdXAQZdAlFAtd@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25062&group=uk.rec.sheds#25062

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 16:33:36 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 15:33 UTC

In article <udsc02$24q8r$1@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@fooba
r.girolle.co.uk> on Wed, 13 Sep 2023 at 14:04:02 awoke Nicholas from
his slumbers and wrote
>On 13/09/2023 06:52, Mike Spencer wrote:
>> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> writes:
>>
>>> formulaic speech. Repetitive phrases like 'in some way, shape or form';
>>> 'at this point in time' and so-on.
>>>
>>> Wot does the team think?
>>
>> I'm particularly annoyed by such formulaic phrases when they are misused.
>>
>> I had a chemistry professor who who repeatedly said this or that was
>> the case "for all intensive purposes". In print, it's people who "tow
>> the line". And more than once seen, "The incumbent will..." clearly
>> intended to be the opposite of the outgoent whom [s]he was to replace.
>>
>From yesterday'sEastern Daily Press: "Orginally called the Priscilla
>when it was built in 1892 but renamed the Optima, the ship's maiden
>voyage proved to be record-braking.
>
>And more on-topic: aDnm!Lostit. but found another one in the same
>article "it makes foe a very unique experience."
>
>It's either unique or it isn't - there's no degree of 'unique'.

True but but, the 'very' is very colourful, Nessi pa?

I would quibble with the word unique, its overused. I am unique but so
are you unique. This moment is unique, as is this one.

It is about time cheap hacks found some other words to indicate that an
event is interesting because it is different, which is really what they
were trying to convey. Most ships have a maiden voyage which is not
repeatable.

My current bête noire comes in the American crop crime detective
'documentaries' is the some discovery 'turned the case on its head'.
Nearly very programme 'turned the case on its head' which illicits a
yaaaaaawn.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: I *hate* ...

<udsmm1$26o10$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25063&group=uk.rec.sheds#25063

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:06:25 +0100
 by: Chris Elvidge - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 16:06 UTC

On 13/09/2023 16:33, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <udsc02$24q8r$1@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@fooba
> r.girolle.co.uk> on Wed, 13 Sep 2023 at 14:04:02 awoke Nicholas from
> his slumbers and wrote

>>> I'm particularly annoyed by such formulaic phrases when they are misused.
>>>
>>> I had a chemistry professor who who repeatedly said this or that was
>>> the case "for all intensive purposes". In print, it's people who "tow
>>> the line". And more than once seen, "The incumbent will..." clearly
>>> intended to be the opposite of the outgoent whom [s]he was to replace.
>>>
>>From yesterday'sEastern Daily Press: "Orginally called the Priscilla
>> when it was built in 1892 but renamed the Optima, the ship's maiden
>> voyage proved to be record-braking.
>>
>> And more on-topic: aDnm!Lostit. but found another one in the same
>> article "it makes foe a very unique experience."
>>
>> It's either unique or it isn't - there's no degree of 'unique'.
>>
> True but but, the 'very' is very colourful, Nessi pa?
>
> I would quibble with the word unique, its overused. I am unique but so
> are you unique. This moment is unique, as is this one.
>
> It is about time cheap hacks found some other words to indicate that an
> event is interesting because it is different, which is really what they
> were trying to convey. Most ships have a maiden voyage which is not
> repeatable.

Most ships? I thought it was all ships, unless you exclude those that
failed to complete said maiden voyage (e.g. Titanic), really not repeatable.

> My current bête noire comes in the American crop crime detective
> 'documentaries' is the some discovery 'turned the case on its head'.
> Nearly very programme 'turned the case on its head' which illicits a
> yaaaaaawn.

Illicits? Elicits, perhaps.

--
Chris Elvidge, England
I AM NOT DELIGHTFULLY SAUCY

Re: I *hate* ...

<udsoeu$27051$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25065&group=uk.rec.sheds#25065

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:36:45 +0100
 by: Tone - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 16:36 UTC

On 13/09/2023 16:33, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>> It's either unique or it isn't - there's no degree of 'unique'.
>>
> True but but, the 'very' is very colourful, Nessi pa?
>
> I would quibble with the word unique, its overused. I am unique but so
> are you unique. This moment is unique, as is this one.
>
> It is about time cheap hacks found some other words to indicate that an
> event is interesting because it is different, which is really what they
> were trying to convey. Most ships have a maiden voyage which is not
> repeatable.
>
> My current bête noire comes in the American crop crime detective
> 'documentaries' is the some discovery 'turned the case on its head'.
> Nearly very programme 'turned the case on its head' which illicits a
> yaaaaaawn.

A unique point of view.

Ta

Tone

Re: I *hate* ...

<udsqgb$27bti$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25068&group=uk.rec.sheds#25068

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 18:11:39 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:11 UTC

On 13/09/2023 17:36, Tone wrote:
> On 13/09/2023 16:33, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>>> It's either unique or it isn't - there's no degree of 'unique'.
>>>
>> True but but, the 'very' is very colourful, Nessi pa?
>>
>> I would quibble with the word unique, its overused.  I am unique but so
>> are you unique. This moment is unique, as is this one.
>>
>> It is about time cheap hacks found some other words to indicate that an
>> event is interesting because it is different, which is really what they
>> were trying to convey. Most ships have a maiden voyage which is not
>> repeatable.
>>
>> My current bête noire comes in the American crop crime detective
>> 'documentaries'  is the some discovery 'turned the case on its head'.
>> Nearly very programme 'turned the case on its head' which illicits a
>> yaaaaaawn.
>
> A unique point of view.
>
> Ta

R3/R44 - an unique Per-lease!

Someone said that and ran away.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: I *hate* ...

<leoMM.210$AfZe.128@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25072&group=uk.rec.sheds#25072

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 20:40:00 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 19:40 UTC

On 13/09/2023 06:52, Mike Spencer wrote:
> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> writes:
>
>> formulaic speech. Repetitive phrases like 'in some way, shape or form';
>> 'at this point in time' and so-on.
>>
>> Wot does the team think?
>
> I'm particularly annoyed by such formulaic phrases when they are misused.
>
> I had a chemistry professor who who repeatedly said this or that was
> the case "for all intensive purposes". In print, it's people who "tow
> the line". And more than once seen, "The incumbent will..." clearly
> intended to be the opposite of the outgoent whom [s]he was to replace.

And makes no mention of the recumbent post holder - the sort who lies
down on the job.

Re: I *hate* ...

<UioMM.211$AfZe.23@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25073&group=uk.rec.sheds#25073

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 20:44:52 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 19:44 UTC

On 13/09/2023 17:06, Chris Elvidge wrote:
> On 13/09/2023 16:33, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>> In article <udsc02$24q8r$1@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@fooba
>> r.girolle.co.uk>  on Wed, 13 Sep 2023 at 14:04:02 awoke Nicholas from
>> his slumbers and wrote

>>> From yesterday'sEastern Daily Press: "Orginally called the Priscilla
>>> when it was built in 1892 but renamed the Optima, the ship's maiden
>>> voyage proved to be record-braking.
>>>
>>> And more on-topic: aDnm!Lostit. but found another one in the same
>>> article "it makes foe a very unique experience."
>>>
>>> It's either unique or it isn't - there's no degree of 'unique'.
>>>
>> True but but, the 'very' is very colourful, Nessi pa?
>>
>> I would quibble with the word unique, its overused.  I am unique but so
>> are you unique. This moment is unique, as is this one.
>>
>> It is about time cheap hacks found some other words to indicate that an
>> event is interesting because it is different, which is really what they
>> were trying to convey. Most ships have a maiden voyage which is not
>> repeatable.
>
> Most ships? I thought it was all ships, unless you exclude those that
> failed to complete said maiden voyage (e.g. Titanic), really not
> repeatable.

Some never got as far as having a maiden voyage:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_aircraft_carrier_Graf_Zeppelin
There were quite a few others in the same boat.

Re: I *hate* ...

<GJceKvAWIhAlFAOU@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25074&group=uk.rec.sheds#25074

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 20:48:38 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 19:48 UTC

In article <udsoeu$27051$2@dont-email.me>, Tone <tone@email.com> on
Wed, 13 Sep 2023 at 17:36:45 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On 13/09/2023 16:33, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>>> It's either unique or it isn't - there's no degree of 'unique'.
>>>
>> True but but, the 'very' is very colourful, Nessi pa?
>>
>> I would quibble with the word unique, its overused. I am unique but so
>> are you unique. This moment is unique, as is this one.
>>
>> It is about time cheap hacks found some other words to indicate that an
>> event is interesting because it is different, which is really what they
>> were trying to convey. Most ships have a maiden voyage which is not
>> repeatable.
>>
>> My current bête noire comes in the American crop crime detective
>> 'documentaries' is the some discovery 'turned the case on its head'.
>> Nearly very programme 'turned the case on its head' which illicits a
>> yaaaaaawn.
>
>A unique point of view.
>
>Ta

A uNick response.