From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: National Treasures: Saving the Nation's Art in World War II
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 13:12:05 +0000
 by: MB - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 13:12 UTC

Just reading this book by Caroline Shelton.

She has a lot of praise for Ian Rawlins who organised the National
Gallery's move.

"He was a railway-train addict. His addict of a holiday was to visit
Willesden or Crewe and read Bradshaw every night. So when we came to
plan the removal of the pictures to large, empty country houses in what
we too to be safe areas, he could tell what lines were available and
hours were free for a special train. He could find the right vans and
have them lines with Sorbo rubber."

It was said that ".. parachute him anywhere in England or Scotland by
day or night, and it is alleged that after sniffing the breeze he will
unerringly make for the nearest railway station and long before reaching
it will have worked out the simplest route home to King's Cross."

Re: National Treasures: Saving the Nation's Art in World War II

<t0j13q$fls$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25253&group=uk.railway#25253

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 20:51:04 +0000
 by: MB - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 20:51 UTC

On 08/03/2022 13:12, MB wrote:
> Just reading this book by Caroline Shelton.
>
> She has a lot of praise for Ian Rawlins who organised the National
> Gallery's move.
>
> "He was a railway-train addict. His addict of a holiday was to visit
> Willesden or Crewe and read Bradshaw every night. So when we came to
> plan the removal of the pictures to large, empty country houses in what
> we too to be safe areas, he could tell what lines were available and
> hours were free for a special train. He could find the right vans and
> have them lines with Sorbo rubber."
>
> It was said that ".. parachute him anywhere in England or Scotland by
> day or night, and it is alleged that after sniffing the breeze he will
> unerringly make for the nearest railway station and long before reaching
> it will have worked out the simplest route home to King's Cross."

There is a mention of using LMS containers called "BK's", wondering what
that stands for?

Re: National Treasures: Saving the Nation's Art in World War II

<152q2h5vm4ueofvmpfbh9qd47eq5h1j5s2@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25254&group=uk.railway#25254

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 20:56:47 +0000
 by: Charles Ellson - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 20:56 UTC

On Sat, 12 Mar 2022 20:51:04 +0000, MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:

>On 08/03/2022 13:12, MB wrote:
>> Just reading this book by Caroline Shelton.
>>
>> She has a lot of praise for Ian Rawlins who organised the National
>> Gallery's move.
>>
>> "He was a railway-train addict. His addict of a holiday was to visit
>> Willesden or Crewe and read Bradshaw every night. So when we came to
>> plan the removal of the pictures to large, empty country houses in what
>> we too to be safe areas, he could tell what lines were available and
>> hours were free for a special train. He could find the right vans and
>> have them lines with Sorbo rubber."
>>
>> It was said that ".. parachute him anywhere in England or Scotland by
>> day or night, and it is alleged that after sniffing the breeze he will
>> unerringly make for the nearest railway station and long before reaching
>> it will have worked out the simplest route home to King's Cross."
>
>There is a mention of using LMS containers called "BK's", wondering what
>that stands for?

"The short closed container was called the Type A and the long version
Type B. There was a second letter added to the container prefix which
indicated the specific type, for example the BK is a furniture
container and BC is for bicycles "
http://igg.org.uk/rail/5-unit/unitload1.htm

Re: National Treasures: Saving the Nation's Art in World War II

<t0j4rl$dr4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25255&group=uk.railway#25255

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 21:55:00 +0000
 by: MB - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 21:55 UTC

On 12/03/2022 20:56, Charles Ellson wrote:
> "The short closed container was called the Type A and the long version
> Type B. There was a second letter added to the container prefix which
> indicated the specific type, for example the BK is a furniture
> container and BC is for bicycles "
> http://igg.org.uk/rail/5-unit/unitload1.htm

Thanks, they several of them them at the British Museum and put the "No
Nails" boxes in them then taken to the station once full.