There comes a time to stop being angry. -- A Small Circle of Friends

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Driver fined and given nine points after near miss while overtaking cyclists

SubjectAuthor
* Driver fined and given nine points after near miss while overtaking cyclistsswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Driver fined and given nine points after near miss whileswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Driver fined and given nine points after near miss while overtaking cyclistsswldx...@gmail.com
`* Re: Driver fined and given nine points after near miss whileMike Collins
 `- Re: Driver fined and given nine points after near miss whileswldx...@gmail.com

1
Driver fined and given nine points after near miss while overtaking cyclists

<0e7b3824-578c-4a58-ba33-b0a45d9f273en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2448&group=uk.rec.cycling#2448

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 05:54:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Driver fined and given nine points after near miss while overtaking cyclists
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 12:54 UTC

A decent sentence.

A driver has been fined almost £400 and given nine points on his licence after coming close to a group of cyclists while overtaking.

The motorist was travelling on the A4054 in Pontypridd when he overtook the group just before a traffic island in the middle of the road - causing one cyclist to swerve away from the car.

GoSafe, which aims to ensure safety Welsh roads, said the manoeuvre "severely increased the risk to the safety of the cyclists involved".

The driving was captured on camera by one of the cyclists and was considered to be so poor that the usual punishments of a driving safety course or fine were not deemed sufficient.

The motorist pleaded guilty to driving without due care at Cardiff Magistrates' Court, where he received a fine of £386 and was given the maximum amount of points you can receive for that offence.

GoSafe said cyclists are classed as vulnerable road users and "have every right to use the roads safely and confidently".

Drivers are being urged to leave at least 1.5m between their vehicle and the cyclist when overtaking.

Teresa Ciano, GoSafe Partnership Manager said: "We all have a part to play in keeping our roads safe for everyone.

"Careless close passes, like the one recorded in this incident, risks the safety of cyclists.

"The consequence of this careless incident reflects the seriousness of the offence.

"We all share the road and should be able to do so confidently. When approaching a cyclist, be patient and wait until you can overtake safely."

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2021-08-26/driver-fined-and-given-nine-points-after-near-miss-while-overtaking-cyclists

Re: Driver fined and given nine points after near miss while overtaking cyclists

<b7a4e735-4726-4944-a148-5ba2eb45b962n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2466&group=uk.rec.cycling#2466

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 09:50:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Driver fined and given nine points after near miss while
overtaking cyclists
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 16:50 UTC

On Friday, August 27, 2021 at 1:54:53 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> A decent sentence.

This still photo shows why the penalty was so high for the idiot driver.
Shocking behaviour.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E9z9cnKWYAAI4wy?format=jpg&name=medium

> https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2021-08-26/driver-fined-and-given-nine-points-after-near-miss-while-overtaking-cyclists

Re: Driver fined and given nine points after near miss while overtaking cyclists

<8cb6ea5e-371d-4bf4-9c82-b5c823cd240an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2521&group=uk.rec.cycling#2521

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 05:26:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 12:26 UTC

On Friday, August 27, 2021 at 5:50:11 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E9z9cnKWYAAI4wy?format=jpg&name=medium

How is that careless and not dangerous?

it's my understanding that 'dangerous' requires the act to be deliberate and motivated, whereas 'careless' is just stupidity.

also a careless driving charge is more likely to receive a guilty verdict from the judge or jury as no one believes that somebody's driving has deteriorated to a level that it could be considered dangerous

https://road.cc/content/news/driver-fined-ps400-nearly-crashing-cyclists-285971

Re: Driver fined and given nine points after near miss while overtaking cyclists

<a45d8b02-b479-4e3a-a908-6ae842a3cc7fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2525&group=uk.rec.cycling#2525

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 05:58:20 -0700 (PDT)
overtaking cyclists
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 12:58 UTC

On Friday, 27 August 2021 at 13:54:53 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> A decent sentence.
>
> A driver has been fined almost £400 and given nine points on his licence after coming close to a group of cyclists while overtaking.
>
> The motorist was travelling on the A4054 in Pontypridd when he overtook the group just before a traffic island in the middle of the road - causing one cyclist to swerve away from the car.
>
> GoSafe, which aims to ensure safety Welsh roads, said the manoeuvre "severely increased the risk to the safety of the cyclists involved".
>
> The driving was captured on camera by one of the cyclists and was considered to be so poor that the usual punishments of a driving safety course or fine were not deemed sufficient.
>
> The motorist pleaded guilty to driving without due care at Cardiff Magistrates' Court, where he received a fine of £386 and was given the maximum amount of points you can receive for that offence.
>
> GoSafe said cyclists are classed as vulnerable road users and "have every right to use the roads safely and confidently".
>
> Drivers are being urged to leave at least 1.5m between their vehicle and the cyclist when overtaking.
>
> Teresa Ciano, GoSafe Partnership Manager said: "We all have a part to play in keeping our roads safe for everyone.
>
> "Careless close passes, like the one recorded in this incident, risks the safety of cyclists.
>
> "The consequence of this careless incident reflects the seriousness of the offence.
>
> "We all share the road and should be able to do so confidently. When approaching a cyclist, be patient and wait until you can overtake safely."
>
> https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2021-08-26/driver-fined-and-given-nine-points-after-near-miss-while-overtaking-cyclists

I suppose this should be classed as a good result. Life driving ban and 20 years (self funded) prison for attempted murder would be more appropriate

Re: Driver fined and given nine points after near miss while overtaking cyclists

<b0e30e03-d470-41d6-b268-d9626cb48807n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2530&group=uk.rec.cycling#2530

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 09:36:25 -0700 (PDT)
overtaking cyclists
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 16:36 UTC

On Sunday, August 29, 2021 at 1:58:21 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Friday, 27 August 2021 at 13:54:53 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > A decent sentence.
> >
> > A driver has been fined almost £400 and given nine points on his licence after coming close to a group of cyclists while overtaking.
> >
> > The motorist was travelling on the A4054 in Pontypridd when he overtook the group just before a traffic island in the middle of the road - causing one cyclist to swerve away from the car.
> >
> > GoSafe, which aims to ensure safety Welsh roads, said the manoeuvre "severely increased the risk to the safety of the cyclists involved".
> >
> > The driving was captured on camera by one of the cyclists and was considered to be so poor that the usual punishments of a driving safety course or fine were not deemed sufficient.
> >
> > The motorist pleaded guilty to driving without due care at Cardiff Magistrates' Court, where he received a fine of £386 and was given the maximum amount of points you can receive for that offence.
> >
> > GoSafe said cyclists are classed as vulnerable road users and "have every right to use the roads safely and confidently".
> >
> > Drivers are being urged to leave at least 1.5m between their vehicle and the cyclist when overtaking.
> >
> > Teresa Ciano, GoSafe Partnership Manager said: "We all have a part to play in keeping our roads safe for everyone.
> >
> > "Careless close passes, like the one recorded in this incident, risks the safety of cyclists.
> >
> > "The consequence of this careless incident reflects the seriousness of the offence.
> >
> > "We all share the road and should be able to do so confidently. When approaching a cyclist, be patient and wait until you can overtake safely."
> >
> > https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2021-08-26/driver-fined-and-given-nine-points-after-near-miss-while-overtaking-cyclists
> I suppose this should be classed as a good result. Life driving ban and 20 years (self funded) prison for attempted murder would be more appropriate

Indeed - it was a shocking display of driving.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Driver fined and given nine points after near miss while overtaking cyclists