Contains no artificial colors or ingredients.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Russian coal

SubjectAuthor
* Russian coalRoland Perry
+* Russian coalMB
|`* Russian coalRoland Perry
| `* Russian coalRobert
|  +- Russian coalCertes
|  +* Russian coalMarland
|  |+- Russian coalMatthew Geier
|  |`- Russian coalhounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
|  `- Russian coalhounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
`* Russian coalColinR
 `- Russian coalmartin.coffee

1
Russian coal

<Zi$Du92BPbLiFAK7@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25262&group=uk.railway#25262

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Russian coal
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 09:05:05 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 09:05 UTC

<https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/local-hubs/mid-
wales/2022/03/12/railway-to-shun-russian-coal/>

"An historic heritage railway which was narrowly saved last year is set
to make a stand against the Russian invasion of Ukraine - but it could
be at a cost.

The Llangollen Railway, which also has stations in Berwyn, Glyndyfrdwy
and Carrog is holding 30 days reserves of Russian coal delivered before
the hostilities began in Ukraine.

Bosses have decided to make a stand against the war - despite the
situation being seen as 'challenging'.

Terry Pickthall, spokesman for Llangollen Railway, said that not using
the Russian coal may mean a reduction in the number of services - with
the cost of fuel also impacting diesel-based trains.

He said: "Further stocks of Russian steam coal are still available in
the UK, but we do not feel it would be ethical to purchase any more
given the horrific situation unfolding in Ukraine.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Russian coal

<t0kdni$qin$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25263&group=uk.railway#25263

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Russian coal
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 09:32:32 +0000
 by: MB - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 09:32 UTC

On 13/03/2022 09:05, Roland Perry wrote:
> "An historic heritage railway which was narrowly saved last year is set
> to make a stand against the Russian invasion of Ukraine - but it could
> be at a cost.
>
> The Llangollen Railway, which also has stations in Berwyn, Glyndyfrdwy
> and Carrog is holding 30 days reserves of Russian coal delivered before
> the hostilities began in Ukraine.
>
> Bosses have decided to make a stand against the war - despite the
> situation being seen as 'challenging'.
>
> Terry Pickthall, spokesman for Llangollen Railway, said that not using
> the Russian coal may mean a reduction in the number of services - with
> the cost of fuel also impacting diesel-based trains.
>
> He said: "Further stocks of Russian steam coal are still available in
> the UK, but we do not feel it would be ethical to purchase any more
> given the horrific situation unfolding in Ukraine.

Seems a pointless gesture to not use their existing stocks that have
already been paid for.

Even not buying stocks held at UK merchants could risk putting those
coal merchants out of business and again have no effect on the Russians
because it will already have been paid for and also make it difficult
getting coal in the future.

Re: Russian coal

<yyMJaV3M+bLiFAvs@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25264&group=uk.railway#25264

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 09:55:24 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 09:55 UTC

In message <t0kdni$qin$1@dont-email.me>, at 09:32:32 on Sun, 13 Mar
2022, MB <MB@nospam.net> remarked:
>On 13/03/2022 09:05, Roland Perry wrote:
>> "An historic heritage railway which was narrowly saved last year is set
>> to make a stand against the Russian invasion of Ukraine - but it could
>> be at a cost.
>> The Llangollen Railway, which also has stations in Berwyn,
>>Glyndyfrdwy
>> and Carrog is holding 30 days reserves of Russian coal delivered before
>> the hostilities began in Ukraine.
>> Bosses have decided to make a stand against the war - despite the
>> situation being seen as 'challenging'.

>> Terry Pickthall, spokesman for Llangollen Railway, said that not
>>using the Russian coal may mean a reduction in the number of services
>>- with the cost of fuel also impacting diesel-based trains. He
>>said: "Further stocks of Russian steam coal are still available in the
>>UK, but we do not feel it would be ethical to purchase any more given
>>the horrific situation unfolding in Ukraine.
>
>Seems a pointless gesture

I think you mis-spelt "virtue signalling".

>to not use their existing stocks that have already been paid for.

What makes you think the Llangollen railway has decided not to use what
they have in stock?

>Even not buying stocks held at UK merchants could risk putting those
>coal merchants out of business and again have no effect on the Russians
>because it will already have been paid for and also make it difficult
>getting coal in the future.

I'm not sure many coal merchants have a business which is that
critically reliant on supplying Russian coal to heritage railways.

In any event, they won't be getting any more supplies for the
foreseeable future, so why not eke out what they have, to the highest
bidders?

Or even try to source a replacement.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Russian coal

<t0kjgb$5b7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25265&group=uk.railway#25265

From: rai...@greystane.shetland.co.uk (ColinR)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 11:11:11 +0000
 by: ColinR - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 11:11 UTC

On 13/03/2022 09:05, Roland Perry wrote:
> <https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/local-hubs/mid-
> wales/2022/03/12/railway-to-shun-russian-coal/>
>
> "An historic heritage railway which was narrowly saved last year is set
> to make a stand against the Russian invasion of Ukraine - but it could
> be at a cost.
>
> The Llangollen Railway, which also has stations in Berwyn, Glyndyfrdwy
> and Carrog is holding 30 days reserves of Russian coal delivered before
> the hostilities began in Ukraine.
>
> Bosses have decided to make a stand against the war - despite the
> situation being seen as 'challenging'.
>
> Terry Pickthall, spokesman for Llangollen Railway, said that not using
> the Russian coal may mean a reduction in the number of services - with
> the cost of fuel also impacting diesel-based trains.
>
> He said: "Further stocks of Russian steam coal are still available in
> the UK, but we do not feel it would be ethical to purchase any more
> given the horrific situation unfolding in Ukraine.

Totally illogical. The monies for the coal are already in Russia so not
using the already purchased coal is stupidity. Yes, do not buy any more,
but the only people harmed by this act are those customers and staff of
the Llangollen Railway - Russia will not be affected.

I re-iterate, illogical!

--
Colin

Re: Russian coal

<t0kr5u$bhs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25268&group=uk.railway#25268

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 13:22:06 +0000
 by: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 13:22 UTC

On 13/03/2022 11:11, ColinR wrote:
> On 13/03/2022 09:05, Roland Perry wrote:
>>   <https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/local-hubs/mid-
>> wales/2022/03/12/railway-to-shun-russian-coal/>
>>
>> "An historic heritage railway which was narrowly saved last year is set
>> to make a stand against the Russian invasion of Ukraine - but it could
>> be at a cost.
>>
>> The Llangollen Railway, which also has stations in Berwyn, Glyndyfrdwy
>> and Carrog is holding 30 days reserves of Russian coal delivered before
>> the hostilities began in Ukraine.
>>
>> Bosses have decided to make a stand against the war - despite the
>> situation being seen as 'challenging'.
>>
>> Terry Pickthall, spokesman for Llangollen Railway, said that not using
>> the Russian coal may mean a reduction in the number of services - with
>> the cost of fuel also impacting diesel-based trains.
>>
>> He said: "Further stocks of Russian steam coal are still available in
>> the UK, but we do not feel it would be ethical to purchase any more
>> given the horrific situation unfolding in Ukraine.
>
> Totally illogical. The monies for the coal are already in Russia so not
> using the already purchased coal is stupidity. Yes, do not buy any more,
> but the only people harmed by this act are those customers and staff of
> the Llangollen Railway - Russia will not be affected.
>
> I re-iterate, illogical!

I agree.

HMG is dealing with this crisis in the incompetent manner expected of
that government and the Home Office but this decision by the Llangollen
is total stupidity.

Re: Russian coal

<j99fq0F9vreU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25335&group=uk.railway#25335

From: monst...@spammedia.com (Robert)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 18:28:16 +0000
 by: Robert - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 18:28 UTC

On 13/03/2022 09:55, Roland Perry wrote:

>> Seems a pointless gesture
>
> I think you mis-spelt "virtue signalling".

I'm just imagining trains being controlled by virtue signalling :-)

> Or even try to source a replacement.

I'm pretty sure Poland still has plenty of coal.

Cheers,
--
Rob
"I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational

Re: Russian coal

<t0o2v0$cb7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25338&group=uk.railway#25338

From: non...@nowhere.net (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 18:53:19 +0000
 by: Certes - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 18:53 UTC

On 14/03/2022 18:28, Robert wrote:
> On 13/03/2022 09:55, Roland Perry wrote:
>
>>> Seems a pointless gesture
>>
>> I think you mis-spelt "virtue signalling".
>
> I'm just imagining trains being controlled by virtue signalling :-)

Only in a fiddle yard can you switch tracks using pointless gestures.

>> Or even try to source a replacement.
>
> I'm pretty sure Poland still has plenty of coal.
>
> Cheers,

Re: Russian coal

<j99n9kFbf4hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25340&group=uk.railway#25340

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 14 Mar 2022 20:36:04 GMT
 by: Marland - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 20:36 UTC

Robert <monstoor@spammedia.com> wrote:
> On 13/03/2022 09:55, Roland Perry wrote:
>
>>> Seems a pointless gesture
>>
>> I think you mis-spelt "virtue signalling".
>
> I'm just imagining trains being controlled by virtue signalling :-)
>
>> Or even try to source a replacement.
>
> I'm pretty sure Poland still has plenty of coal.
>
> Cheers,

With numerous industrial and domestic users all over Europe needing to
replace what would have been obtained from Russia and the Ukraine our steam
tourist railways may not be able obtain it a pice that lets them run
economically. Can Australia supply cheaper? The Chinese banned imports from
Australia a couple of years back so the Aussies may want to fill the gap .
I like some solid fuel for the multi fuel stove for when wood is too wet
to use or to keep it in overnight.
Usually I purchase in late July at Summer rates but reckon there may be
shortages this year,Covid caused some problems in getting my preferred type
of briquettes last year so rather than wait and see I got a Tonne bought
online delivered today on a pallet. With the recent gales creating plenty
of free wood I will be ok for winters 22 and 23.

GH

Re: Russian coal

<t0oaqf$mm6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25345&group=uk.railway#25345

From: matt...@sleeper.apana.org.au (Matthew Geier)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 08:07:22 +1100
 by: Matthew Geier - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 21:07 UTC

On 15/3/22 07:36, Marland wrote:
> Can Australia supply cheaper? The Chinese banned imports from
> Australia a couple of years back so the Aussies may want to fill the gap .

Probably not. Australian heritage steam operators are having difficulty
getting locomotive coal too.

The coal sent to thermal power stations is crushed much finer than that
needed for firing a steam locomotive, there is basically only 1 mine who
has a crusher / grader that will do suitably sized lumps and also has a
functioning washer.
And that mine has basically been bribed by the government to keep that
equipment in service, there is no commercial need to produce
'locomotive' grade coal anymore.

Those huge long trains you see hauling coal from the mines in Queensland
and the hunter region of NSW to the ports and the power stations are
loaded with coal that is crushed too fine to fire a steam locomotive. A
good fireman probably could get it to work with power station coal, but
he'd have his work cut out.

Re: Russian coal

<t0pq0u$u9d$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25359&group=uk.railway#25359

From: hounsl...@yahoo.co.uk (hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 10:33:02 +0000
 by: hounslow3@yahoo.co.u - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 10:33 UTC

On 14/03/2022 18:28, Robert wrote:
> On 13/03/2022 09:55, Roland Perry wrote:
>
>>> Seems a pointless gesture
>>
>> I think you mis-spelt "virtue signalling".
>
> I'm just imagining trains being controlled by virtue signalling :-)
>
>> Or even try to source a replacement.
>
> I'm pretty sure Poland still has plenty of coal.
>
> Cheers,
Polish coal is more expensive, however.

Re: Russian coal

<t0pq6b$u9d$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25360&group=uk.railway#25360

From: hounsl...@yahoo.co.uk (hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 10:35:55 +0000
 by: hounslow3@yahoo.co.u - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 10:35 UTC

On 14/03/2022 20:36, Marland wrote:
> Robert <monstoor@spammedia.com> wrote:

>>> I think you mis-spelt "virtue signalling".
>>
>> I'm just imagining trains being controlled by virtue signalling :-)
>>
>>> Or even try to source a replacement.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure Poland still has plenty of coal.
>>
>> Cheers,
>
> With numerous industrial and domestic users all over Europe needing to
> replace what would have been obtained from Russia and the Ukraine our steam
> tourist railways may not be able obtain it a pice that lets them run
> economically. Can Australia supply cheaper? The Chinese banned imports from
> Australia a couple of years back so the Aussies may want to fill the gap .

Colombia might also be an option.