From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Sa v E ODIs
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 20:35:57 +0000
 by: John Hall - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 20:35 UTC

This series has shown the ODI format in a very good light, with three
exciting matches, and I hope that it won't be dispensed with as some
have suggested. It was a pity that the conditions helped the bowlers
quite so much in the first 10-15 overs of the second and third games,
though, as it put the side batting first at a considerable disadvantage.
England managed a fine recovery in ODI 2, but it proved not to be quite
enough. But they overcame an even bigger disadvantage in the final match
in brilliant fashion, thanks to outstanding innings by Buttler and
Malan, a good one by Moeen, and excellent bowling from Archer. It hasn't
taken him long to find his rhythm again. (They should never have lost
the first match, though.)

South Africa showed that they are a far better side than their position
in the qualifying table - 11th when the series began and 9th when it
finished - for guaranteed participation in the World Cup suggested.
Hopefully they can do well enough in their remaining fixtures to finish
in the top eight, or failing that qualify via the subsequent "minnows"
play-offs, as it would be a pity if such a talented side missed out.
--
John Hall "Do you have cornflakes in America?"
"Well, actually, they're American."

Re: Sa v E ODIs

<71b665b6-f514-4dd3-9069-bd9b46974adan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25421&group=uk.sport.cricket#25421

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 14:55:09 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Sa v E ODIs
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 22:55 UTC

On Wednesday, February 1, 2023 at 8:39:25 PM UTC, John Hall wrote:
> This series has shown the ODI format in a very good light, with three
> exciting matches, and I hope that it won't be dispensed with as some
> have suggested. It was a pity that the conditions helped the bowlers
> quite so much in the first 10-15 overs of the second and third games,
> though, as it put the side batting first at a considerable disadvantage.
> England managed a fine recovery in ODI 2, but it proved not to be quite
> enough. But they overcame an even bigger disadvantage in the final match
> in brilliant fashion, thanks to outstanding innings by Buttler and
> Malan, a good one by Moeen, and excellent bowling from Archer. It hasn't
> taken him long to find his rhythm again. (They should never have lost
> the first match, though.)

yes agree to this, and in all the forums i peruse, i would say 90% of
people prefer test cricket and then odi over t20 which most regard
as a joke, which is probably unfair, as i suspect that 1 reason odi
scores tend to be much higher nowadays is due to t20 methods,
but if odi still brings in money, i expect it will survive. I certainly find
odi more interesting to listen to or then watch as highlights. If they
hadnt lost the first, they could have come away with a job well done.
However in india they will also need 2 spinners, and ATM moeen
doesnt look like 1 of those, but I dont know who could replace him
and do a better job.

> South Africa showed that they are a far better side than their position
> in the qualifying table - 11th when the series began and 9th when it
> finished - for guaranteed participation in the World Cup suggested.
> Hopefully they can do well enough in their remaining fixtures to finish
> in the top eight, or failing that qualify via the subsequent "minnows"
> play-offs, as it would be a pity if such a talented side missed out.
> --

theyr a good side at home, but they seem a little flaky abroad as
the recent WC in oz showed, but yes I'd expect and hope they are
there in india later this year.

that said i notice that india just thrashed NZ in a t20 by
enormous margin. the shubman is in fantastic wb form,
4 100s in 7 innings.

mike

Re: Sa v E ODIs

<gmslth5cjbi90p0um7pv9ag354l2tjuurf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25422&group=uk.sport.cricket#25422

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2023 23:19:06 +0000
 by: Mike Holmans - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 23:19 UTC

On Wed, 1 Feb 2023 14:55:09 -0800 (PST), mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>that said i notice that india just thrashed NZ in a t20 by
>enormous margin. the shubman is in fantastic wb form,
>4 100s in 7 innings.

He (and they) are batting well, but NZ have been utterly abysmal.

Cheers,

Mike