From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: And then there was one
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2023 08:33:53 +0000
 by: max.it - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 08:33 UTC

It appears now that Vaughan is the only person attending the ECB
disciplinary hearing.
The whole thing seems to be operating in reverse. Vaughan denies
everything but he's going to the hearing, Others who have accepted
their behaviour or language was not right are staying away.

Ballance has decided to remain in Zimbabwe rather than return to UK to
be scolded by a body that doesn't matter to him, for a personal
indiscretion that he has already apologised for.

ECB have waved their racism flag far too late and now they have waved
it so hard they've broke it.

max.it

Re: And then there was one

<c52fcc88-82d6-4e81-9d92-b5b52595abe5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25459&group=uk.sport.cricket#25459

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 03:55:56 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: And then there was one
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 11:55 UTC

On Wednesday, February 8, 2023 at 8:33:59 AM UTC, max.it wrote:
> It appears now that Vaughan is the only person attending the ECB
> disciplinary hearing.
> The whole thing seems to be operating in reverse. Vaughan denies
> everything but he's going to the hearing, Others who have accepted
> their behaviour or language was not right are staying away.

Translation: these have come to an arrangement with the pc powers that be. RH

> Ballance has decided to remain in Zimbabwe rather than return to UK to
> be scolded by a body that doesn't matter to him, for a personal
> indiscretion that he has already apologised for.
>
> ECB have waved their racism flag far too late and now they have waved
> it so hard they've broke it.
>
> max.it

If Vaughan stands firm the Yorkshire management and those brought in to investigate may come out very badly because of their sacking of all or at least most of the coaching staff. RH

Re: And then there was one

<9fde73c3-a3b1-469f-aad5-fd8f3db66841n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25463&group=uk.sport.cricket#25463

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 07:23:27 -0800 (PST)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 15:23 UTC

On Wednesday, February 8, 2023 at 8:33:59 AM UTC, max.it wrote:
> It appears now that Vaughan is the only person attending the ECB
> disciplinary hearing.
> The whole thing seems to be operating in reverse. Vaughan denies
> everything but he's going to the hearing, Others who have accepted
> their behaviour or language was not right are staying away.
>
> Ballance has decided to remain in Zimbabwe rather than return to UK to
> be scolded by a body that doesn't matter to him, for a personal
> indiscretion that he has already apologised for.
>
> ECB have waved their racism flag far too late and now they have waved
> it so hard they've broke it.

This has been dragging on so long I've forgotten what these
hearings are for. Anyone know? What are the charges against the players
not attending and how could the ECB disciplin players who have
long retired anyway?

mike

Re: And then there was one

<8nf7uhdv5skoq7bmk7vijo51c5vct7vqi2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25464&group=uk.sport.cricket#25464

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2023 15:31:48 +0000
 by: Mike Holmans - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 15:31 UTC

On Wed, 8 Feb 2023 07:23:27 -0800 (PST), mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Wednesday, February 8, 2023 at 8:33:59 AM UTC, max.it wrote:
>> It appears now that Vaughan is the only person attending the ECB
>> disciplinary hearing.
>> The whole thing seems to be operating in reverse. Vaughan denies
>> everything but he's going to the hearing, Others who have accepted
>> their behaviour or language was not right are staying away.
>>
>> Ballance has decided to remain in Zimbabwe rather than return to UK to
>> be scolded by a body that doesn't matter to him, for a personal
>> indiscretion that he has already apologised for.
>>
>> ECB have waved their racism flag far too late and now they have waved
>> it so hard they've broke it.
>>

>This has been dragging on so long I've forgotten what these
>hearings are for. Anyone know? What are the charges against the players
>not attending and how could the ECB disciplin players who have
>long retired anyway?

As far as I can see, the only point of these hearings now is to
demonstrate how woefully inadequate the ECB's conduct throughout this
affair has been.

If this had been done 10 years ago, it might have had some useful
effects. In the interim, YCCC have cleaned up their act, the players
have just about all retired or escaped the ambit of the ECB, and the
ECB has been exposed as having basically ignored all the evidence
mounting up about racism within the English game and have patted
themselves on the back for having issued a couple of statements.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: And then there was one

<vNJCqjLYY84jFwzU@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25465&group=uk.sport.cricket#25465

From: bull...@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 15:56:08 +0000
 by: Adrian - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 15:56 UTC

In message <9fde73c3-a3b1-469f-aad5-fd8f3db66841n@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>On Wednesday, February 8, 2023 at 8:33:59 AM UTC, max.it wrote:
>> It appears now that Vaughan is the only person attending the ECB
>> disciplinary hearing.
>> The whole thing seems to be operating in reverse. Vaughan denies
>> everything but he's going to the hearing, Others who have accepted
>> their behaviour or language was not right are staying away.
>>
>> Ballance has decided to remain in Zimbabwe rather than return to UK to
>> be scolded by a body that doesn't matter to him, for a personal
>> indiscretion that he has already apologised for.
>>
>> ECB have waved their racism flag far too late and now they have waved
>> it so hard they've broke it.
>>

>This has been dragging on so long I've forgotten what these
>hearings are for. Anyone know? What are the charges against the players
>not attending and how could the ECB disciplin players who have
>long retired anyway?

With the possible exception of Ballance (*), I think all those who were
supposed to attend have retired from playing. However, several still
have a professional interest in the game, either as a pundit, or as a
coach. Presumably ECB could bring some form of sanction against them,
but what ? If the coaches have left the professional game, but are now
playing or working in the amateur game, could they be sanctioned ?

* Has Ballance retired from English cricket ?

As I understand it, most if not all of the Yorkshire coaching staff of
the era in question have left (either sacked or quit), I don't know what
they are up to now. There were mutterings of legal action against YCCC
by those sacked, did that come to anything, or has that been sorted out
?

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops