Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 06:18:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Drivers targeted in Inverurie and Peterhead over cyclist issues
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 13:18 UTC

Road Policing officers in the north-east have been carrying out patrols as part of Operation Close Pass.

The Operation involves officer on patrol in unmarked bicycles with video recording equipment.

Any motorist who passes too close to the cyclist is stopped further up the road by marked patrols.

The operation was carried out in Inverurie and Peterhead on Thursday and Friday.

In total 20 drivers were stopped after passing the Police cyclist with insufficient room.

Inverurie based road policing constable Brian Pirie, who coordinated the operation, said, "It's disappointing that so many drivers are still not giving cyclists space.

"In the most recent days of action we were on wide roads with drivers often passing too close when there was no other traffic."

"The stopped drivers were all receptive to our advice and are shocked to see the footage of themselves played back at the roadside.

"On this occasion all the drivers were warned regarding their actions, however, previous operations have seen drivers been issued with fixed penalties of three points and £100 fine as well as some being reported to the courts for more serious offences."

https://www.grampianonline.co.uk/news/drivers-targeted-in-inverurie-and-peterhead-over-cyclist-iss-249347/

Re: Drivers targeted in Inverurie and Peterhead over fairy-cyclist issues

<ip46doFhb3bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2554&group=uk.rec.cycling#2554

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Drivers targeted in Inverurie and Peterhead over fairy-cyclist
issues
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 14:57:12 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 13:57 UTC

> Road Policing officers in the north-east have been carrying out patrols as part of Operation Close Pass.
>
> The Operation involves officer on patrol in [sic] unmarked fairy-bicycles with video recording equipment.
>
> Any motorist who passes too close to the fairy-cyclist is stopped further up the road by marked patrols.
>
> The operation was carried out in Inverurie and Peterhead on Thursday and Friday.
>
> In total 20 drivers were stopped after passing the Police fairy-cyclist with insufficient room.
>
> Inverurie based road policing constable Brian Pirie, who coordinated the operation, said, "It's disappointing that so many drivers are still not giving fairy-cyclists space.
>
> "In the most recent days of action we were on wide roads with drivers often passing too close when there was no other traffic."
>
> "The stopped drivers were all receptive to our advice and are shocked to see the footage of themselves played back at the roadside.
>
> "On this occasion all the drivers were warned regarding their actions, however, previous operations have seen drivers been issued with fixed penalties of three points and £100 fine as well as some being reported to the courts for more serious offences."
>
> https://www.grampianonline.co.uk/news/drivers-targeted-in-inverurie-and-peterhead-over-fairy-cyclist-iss-249347/

What is "too close"?

Which Road Traffic or other Act, or Statutory Instrument, provides the
definition?

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Drivers targeted in Inverurie and Peterhead over fairy-cyclist issues